Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

2009 Suzuki Van Van no spark

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

Sebbiehe
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 19:56 - 04 Dec 2017    Post subject: 2009 Suzuki Van Van no spark Reply with quote

Hello guys, I'm new here. Got a Suzuki Van Van. Was riding yesterday when randomly it cut out and just wouldn't start again. My first thought was the engine seized up. So after taking the bike apart I found out that the piston moves nicely so that's not the problem. So I took the spark plug out and tried it... no spark. Tried that same spark plug in another bike and boom, a spark. So I've changed the coil on the van van and it still won't work. The engine turns over fine and there is compression. Just no spark. Can anyone suggest anything else? Thanks!

dydey90
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:35 - 04 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

The spark plug needs electricity to work.

Take a multimeter to the battery and report back.

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:07 - 05 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

No spark?= go for the easiest/cheapest options first and work backwards.
Is the plug cap broken?
Is the battery charged/holding it’s charge?
Has a wire somewhere been pulled out/disconnected

If it’s not any of the above, then you might want to check things like the HT lead, coil, sator.

UnknownStuntm...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:12 - 05 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kill switch?

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:22 - 05 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

UnknownStuntman wrote:
Kill switch?

This, some motorcycles cripple the ignition yet will still let you spin the starter motor when the kill switch is in the off position.

I've experienced this with the CB-1, my first ''modern'' motorcycle. The switch was off, it was spinning the starter and nothing. I even tried to push start it several times. It was just about when I decided to push the bike home, when I noticed the kill switch. The engine started right away. Embarassed

Then on the MZ, my mate wiried in a kill switch, the bike had none, but he did so the other way around. So RUN is off and OFF is Run. It took me 2 hours to figure that out. Pushing the bike around, didn't even think of checking for spark, as the motorcycle ran just fine the other day and the battery was healthy. Once again, I was about to go home, when I for some reason flicked the switch and the bike started right away, one single kick of the starter. Embarassed

Sebbiehe
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 11:15 - 05 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay so ive managed to get a spark and guess what... still won't start. I've tried pouring a tiny bit of petrol in the hole when I took the spark plug out and tried starting it again with the spark plug put back in and still won't start. Starter motor is definitely turning the engine over just won't fire. Before it died it was making a noise as if there was no oil, which there wasn't. But the engine hasn't seized. Could a valve be seized?

UnknownStuntm...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:33 - 05 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sebbiehe wrote:
Okay so ive managed to get a spark and guess what... still won't start. I've tried pouring a tiny bit of petrol in the hole when I took the spark plug out and tried starting it again with the spark plug put back in and still won't start. Starter motor is definitely turning the engine over just won't fire. Before it died it was making a noise as if there was no oil, which there wasn't. But the engine hasn't seized. Could a valve be seized?

:sock: ?

redeem ouzzer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:26 - 05 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

You stripped it before checking the basics (spark / fuel)?

Either autistic or a sock, now fuck off.

Sebbiehe
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 14:07 - 05 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

GT200Fan79 wrote:

Well thanks for nothing. Just trying to get some help. No need to be an arse hole. Go somewhere else with your shitty insults Smile

UnknownStuntm...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:39 - 05 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sebbiehe wrote:
GT200Fan79 wrote:

Well thanks for nothing. Just trying to get some help. No need to be an arse hole. Go somewhere else with your shitty insults Smile

Calm down Rita, there's no need to spaz out. The problem with forums is that if you say you did a thing, and then you say you did a different thing, you'll be called many, many names.

The bit I highlighted looks like it's pretty critical info that would have been helpful in the OP.

And, given the level of technical ability perceived here, I'd question if you know what an engine running suddenly without oil sounds like. If it turns out you do know how an engine sounds without oil, my next question would be where did the oil suddenly go? Out the back or on the road?

Long story short, writing what you wroted, you look like Socky McSockerton and there are between four and six ponds I need to collect.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 142 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1