Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

damaged thream shimano bottom bracket

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Cycling Forum
 Topic moved: from The Workshop to The Cycling Forum by G (5 Dec 2017 - 13:52)
View previous topic : View next topic  

scooterthedj
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 20:17 - 04 Dec 2017    Post subject: damaged thream shimano bottom bracket Reply with quote

I installed and ebike mid drive hub onto my mountain bike and after 10 weeks its failed on me. After taking it apart and reinstalling my shimano bottom bracket one of the screw inserts is not screwing into place,

Im looking for any advice or any comments that may help my situation
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:19 - 04 Dec 2017    Post subject: Re: damaged thream shimano bottom bracket Reply with quote

scooterthedj wrote:

In your circumstances I would either:
1) Buy a 2008 onwards Honda Fireblade or;
2) Try a cycling forum rather than a motorcycle forum.

HTH.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

NJD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:21 - 04 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or the correct section.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 20:26 - 04 Dec 2017    Post subject: Re: damaged thream shimano bottom bracket Reply with quote

scooterthedj wrote:

https://i.imgur.com/vjgbc8o.png

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:28 - 05 Dec 2017    Post subject: Re: damaged thream shimano bottom bracket Reply with quote

scooterthedj wrote:

Take your bike to the scrap metal dealers and get pennies for it.
Put those pennies together with other pennies and buy a bike with a proper engine in it.

That way you will go faster and you won’t have to shout brmm brmm as you go along Thumbs Up

bikenut
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:36 - 05 Dec 2017    Post subject: bike Reply with quote

Well you live and learn, or some of us do, didn't know there was a push bike section on here, until today !!

Original poster, post a picture on here then same thread in the push bike bit, there will be someone who can ( dare ?? ) help you.

Interested to see the electric motor etc.. and what failed ??

electric bikes are getting closer, guy martin had a good ride on the island this summer I think ?!

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 11:45 - 05 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fitting a helicoil to a bottom bracket thread would be fun. Laughing

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 16:47 - 05 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know the two bb shells are threaded in opposite directions yeah? RHS one is a reverse thread (tightens anticlockwise) so you need the correct shell on the correct side AND to turn it the right direction.

If you've damaged but not knackered the threads, they can be chased back through with a tap. The tools to do this are expensive so a local bike shop would be best.

If the threads are totally dead, YST make a "threadless" bottom bracket that screws into itself for just such an eventuality.

bikenut
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:16 - 06 Dec 2017    Post subject: push bike Reply with quote

You know the two bb shells are threaded in opposite directions yeah? RHS one is a reverse thread (tightens anticlockwise) so you need the correct shell on the correct side AND to turn it the right direction.

while the pedal, screw in type, has a left hand thread on the left hand side.....left hand thread turn anticlockwise to screw in/tighten.

odd that the bearing shells would not obey this.......but what do I know.

post a picture of the bike and area in question, for clarity.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 13:01 - 06 Dec 2017    Post subject: Re: push bike Reply with quote

bikenut wrote:

while the pedal, screw in type, has a left hand thread on the left hand side.....left hand thread turn anticlockwise to screw in/tighten.

odd that the bearing shells would not obey this.......but what do I know.

Hypocyclic fretting precession.

You want the thread tightening in the opposite direction to the direction of rotation of the shaft. The left pedal turns clockwise in relation to the crank when you pedal the bike forwards so it gets a reverse thread. The bottom bracket turns anticlockwise in the left shell so it gets a standard thread.

It's the Wright brothers (of first aeroplane fame) who recognised this precession issue came up with opposite threaded pedals for push bikes. Prior to that they kept unscrewing the left pedal. We also have them to thank for the ludicrously oddball ISO thread size which hasn't changed since. (9/16" x 20tpi, even on French bicycles!).

The opposite threaded bottom bracket that is used on the standard square-tapers is a BSA thread

There is also and Italian bottom bracket which is the same pitch but has a standard direction thread on both sides. I had an old conventry eagle bicycle with an italian bottom bracket and -100% predictably- the BB shell kept unscrewing itself and jamming against the crank.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 104 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Cycling Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1