Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Probably stupid question

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

Wheezybiker
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 17:30 - 13 Dec 2017    Post subject: Probably stupid question Reply with quote

I have a Yamaha xj6 2010

Can you bump start it
And if so how

Probably stupid question for the hardened bikers but I am not one of them so I don't know
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Howling Terror
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:33 - 13 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes on the proviso you have a hill if solo and a healthy friend if it's on the flat.

Release clutch using 2nd gear.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:39 - 13 Dec 2017    Post subject: Re: Probably stupid question Reply with quote

Wheezybiker wrote:
Probably stupid question for the hardened bikers but I am not one of them so I don't know

Seen a few arguments about bump starting FI bikes... yes you can, but in most situations you'd probably be better taking the battery off and giving it a charge.

andym
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:40 - 13 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Howling Terror wrote:
Yes on the proviso you have a hill if solo and a healthy friend if it's on the flat.

Release clutch using 2nd gear.

You forgot bounce on the seat as you release the clutch, otherwise the rear wheel can just lock up, (as I found trying to bump start the ninja on a flat road for almost an hour before a kind member of the public took pity and helped... then almost had his leg blown off with the backfire)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 17:48 - 13 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

If its proper dead, probably not due to FI.

But if its at least turning lights on and giving you some form of dash, you might get away with it. It is mainly the fact you need the fuel to be able to pump...

Howling Terror
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:48 - 13 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^^Got point.

Bounce on seat.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Itchy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:52 - 13 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paddy. wrote:
If its proper dead, probably not due to FI.

But if its at least turning lights on and giving you some form of dash, you might get away with it. It is mainly the fact you need the fuel to be able to pump...

And the injectors to open and shut.
Spain 2008France 2007Big one 2009 We all die. The goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will. In the end, your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 18:12 - 13 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fuel injection systems need electric to spin up the high pressure pump that squirts petrol in them, they also need electric to work the electricity that tells the squitrers when and how hard to squirt.

The electric comes from the generator being spun by the engine turning, and the battery that acts as a reservoir for what that makes.

If you have a bike with carburetors, that doesn't rely on electric to put fuel in the engine, the little electric made by the generator when the engine turned over to start, may be enough to get them ruing and charge the battery.

Plenty of older carbed bikes making do with a kick-starter, that used one swing, and and barely two crank revolutions to get them going. A longer 'bump' start only really needed if they were a bit reluctant, a e-start just making t 'easy'

But if you have much more electric dependent fuel injection, its an open question.

If there's enough electric in the battery to 'energize' the fuel injection system, then bumpg, turning the engine over manually rather than on the electric starter motor, can save the power drain that puts on the electric, and get you going.

If the battery is completely flat? You probably don't have a hope! The battery will try and 'steal' whatever electric the geny makes to charge up, before any is left over, to try and prime the fuel pump or power the electric brain controlling squrters.

Personally? I wouldn't bother trying to bump. Especially not this weather! I'd get the battery 'off' the bike and on a charger, and try starting the normal way.

There is a knack to bumping, and using 2nd gear to stop the gearng rato making back wheel lock when you dump the clutch, using a 'saddle bounce' running along side and leaping on, 'as' you dump the clutch to give t some extra traction as the load of turg the engie over is put on the back wheel, ca all help.... as can a mate or preferably a hill, to get some speed and momentum up before dropping the clutch.

I find mates a double edged 'help' in this, they are unpredictable, and in their enthusiasm oft as inclined to push you over, as along....

Hills are better... and I happen to live on one.... B-U-T... motorbikes with dead engines get very VERY heavy very quickly when you have to push them! and when you have turned a bike that HASN'T bump started, around, they also become a heck of a lot steeper to push this now 3x as heavy bike back up!

Whip battery out, stick it on charge; try it the regulation way.

Getting a bike to start is a wonderful feeling.... until it gets you wherever you were gong and you stop. And discover its dead again when you want to come home!

Bike that wont start s usually trying to tell you something, and bumpng wont fix that.... just helps you make more problems whlst you dodge the fix....

Unless you have good know 'dohw' moment to blame for lack of volts to e-start conventually, like leaving it over night with the lights o or something.....

Best advice is find why you have no electric in the battery to charge normally, this time of year, probably a tired battery on ts last legs succumbing to the cold.... but whatever it is FIX IT, and start conventionally, and save yourself a lot of greif and hassle and huffng and puffing up and down roads shoving a bike rather than having bike shove you!

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:06 - 13 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

To tl;dr mike.....

If your battery is flat on an FI bike. No chance.

Wheezybiker
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 19:07 - 13 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the answers
Question was a asked a little hypothetically
Bike has never given me trouble yet
Am buying an optimate/oximiser end of this month
Was just curious more than anything
Thanks again

Howling Terror
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:34 - 13 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://media1.tenor.com/images/e1fef7c440b9e3fe42f3776688451a17/tenor.gif?itemid=5297462

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:56 - 13 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go with Tef's post.
By the time you read it your battery will be fully charged.

Chuffin Nora
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:44 - 13 Dec 2017    Post subject: Re: Probably stupid question Reply with quote

Wheezybiker wrote:
I have a Yamaha xj6 2010

Can you bump start it?

Not from here, no.
Rolling Eyes
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 106 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1