Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

H4 Headlight LED Conversions

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Qyburn
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 12:52 - 26 Sep 2017    Post subject: H4 Headlight LED Conversions Reply with quote

Hi,

Has anyone tried any of the various LED headlight kits? Would be interested in first hand or even second hand experience of any of the specific options on the market.

I quite fancy these ..
https://www.classiccarleds.co.uk/collections/headlight-led-bulbs/products/latest-led-headlights-h4-philips-z-es-hi-lo-beam-conversion-9-32v

As I see it they should have the advantage that voltage drop in wiring won't matter, and will be much less in any case with the lower current.

Also interested in experience with any other drop in solutions, HIDs, etc.

Thanks,

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:33 - 26 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depending on the reflector and lens/glass, some LED retrofits are awesome. However, even if the bulb is top notch, the beam pattern can dazzle the shit out of oncoming drivers.

If you want to try one, the decent ones are not cheap. You want Cree emitters (LED's) in them, and a minimum of 2000 lumens output.

Be aware that the Chinese vastly over-estimate/lie about Lumen output. I've seen emitters with a max output of 1050 lumens sold as 8000 lumens. You're better off lookign at spec sheet the LED's inside it to find the possible output.

skatefreak
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:11 - 27 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would recommend H4 xenon do-hickys all the way...
Have some of them in my 99 R1, turned the lights from not actually that sh*t into Speshtacular.
They do dazzle cars somewhat though so I only have them in over winter when the roads are at their worst more often (dark and raining)...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

angryjonny
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:37 - 27 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Legal status of either of the above?

I wouldn't want to get into a "your illegal headlights dazzled me so I swerved into your path" insurance/court battle.

BTTD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:43 - 27 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are they going into a projector lens?
Will physically they fit in there?

If yes to both then you might as well give them a try.
If they are going into a "normal" reflector lens I'd be wary of the potential to dazzle other road users, although they do seem to be saying very specifically that they recreate the output pattern of a standard bulb. I'm sceptical, and you still need to make sure they fit in there.

The999Kid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:53 - 27 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

jnw010 wrote:
Are they going into a projector lens?
Will physically they fit in there?

If yes to both then you might as well give them a try.
If they are going into a "normal" reflector lens I'd be wary of the potential to dazzle other road users, although they do seem to be saying very specifically that they recreate the output pattern of a standard bulb. I'm sceptical, and you still need to make sure they fit in there.

Mine have specific L and R designated units- i have a pair in my 2010 megane coupe and they still dazzle the shit out of oncoming traffic.
NDB 19/10/1989 - 1/11/2010 |Nowhere.Elyseum wrote: I get the distinct feeling that Tim should be our secret weapon for future trolling. I don't know many people that can rip the piss in Iambic pentameter
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Snop Doog
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 13:41 - 27 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got a pair of cheap (£5 each) 2000L LEDs from China. I've had them for about 3 months and they've been perfect, especially for the price. The light output is amazing compared to my old halogens in both low and high beam. They're brighter, whiter and they definitely throw light further on the high beam. On my SV they're not dazzling at all. Tried and tested. The colour temperature is 6000K and the light is pure white without a blue tint.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Qyburn
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 07:14 - 28 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

SV650SKid wrote:
Got a pair of cheap (£5 each) 2000L LEDs from China. ..

Hi, do you have a link to the actual product? My bike is a SV650S as well.

davebike
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:02 - 28 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Worth noting when changing "bulb" type you Will almost always have to re aline the lights

I done several HID conversions and ALL have needed the lights adjusting I done one LED bulb conversion and it needed adjustment

I would strongly recommend the newer systems provided you do the set up properly Me I use local MOT testers set up !

Snop Doog
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 13:06 - 28 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Qyburn wrote:
SV650SKid wrote:
Got a pair of cheap (£5 each) 2000L LEDs from China. ..

Hi, do you have a link to the actual product? My bike is a SV650S as well.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Motorcycle-H4-LED-Hi-Lo-Light-20W-2000LM-Driving-Lamp-White-6500K-Headlight-Bulb/201965589382?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

My bad, 6500K. Blue tint only appears on camera.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Qyburn
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 14:16 - 28 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting thanks. No heat sink at all at the back of the bulb, and a fan actually inside the reflector. That's completely different to the other designs I've seen.

Snop Doog
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 14:55 - 28 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Qyburn wrote:
Interesting thanks. No heat sink at all at the back of the bulb, and a fan actually inside the reflector. That's completely different to the other designs I've seen.

Indeed, but it works very well

Qyburn
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 16:45 - 28 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you reckon it would pass MOT, or would you swap back to your "MOT bulbs" for the test. My MOT is due late May so wouldn't be a problem with standard bulbs at that time, however would be better still not to have to bother.

Snop Doog
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 17:58 - 28 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

No idea, I don't know what the MOT's requirements for headlight bulbs are. Based on the fact that the low beams are "normal" in terms of height on the road when behind cars I'd say they'd be fine.

The bulbs can be changed without removing the entire nose cone so changing them over just for an MOT wouldn't take long at all.

Hahadumball
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:26 - 03 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

has anyone actually bought a decent cheap led and got images of comparisons rather than the ebay pics that show it lighting up buildings 20 miles away

AshWebster
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 17:44 - 03 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

i bought some cheap ones for my scoob a while back. Bright as fuck i was actually chuffed. Lasted all of 1 hour. Buy a proper set for £30-40 and should sort u out.

Hahadumball
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:47 - 03 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

i just use led spotlights mounted to my mirrors but they are put through a lens so i see 2 big rings but fuck all in the middle of the road and they are no good for corners unless i want to use the trees to guide me round the corner.

Qyburn
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 13:43 - 05 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've ordered the Ebay parts linked by SV650SKid, I'll try to get some before/after pictures.

Hahadumball
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:11 - 31 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Qyburn wrote:
I've ordered the Ebay parts linked by SV650SKid, I'll try to get some before/after pictures.

has it arrived yet?

Snop Doog
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 08:13 - 01 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Despined_By_Ex wrote:
Qyburn wrote:

has it arrived yet?

Ditto. I don't remember mine taking nearly as long

Hahadumball
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:59 - 01 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

i guess they did arrive and he looked directly at the light, hes currently stumbling round his house trying to find his laptop to tell us they are bright.

Hong Kong Phooey
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:42 - 01 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've ordered the very same, and taken before and after.
Took about 6wks to arrive.

Real test will be on way home tonight, but as I've almost been sideswiped whilst filtering this morning, I'm already declaring it an unlucky purchase.

Before, nightbreaker with a weird colour changing prism thing (I believe the colour changing got me noticed).
https://photos-2.dropbox.com/t/2/AADUX0oI6Ty2DMKVSK45RzWNKYsLXW7v0-rQ9RDD5aUChQ/12/261603744/jpeg/1024x768/3/1509562800/0/2/DSC_1063.JPG/ENyO7fMBGJABIAcoBw/y7yScCqvoDB8mu88VDzL4yyd6a3ow7YuTFiy6c27LXU?size=1024x768&size_mode=3

After, slightly less defined cutoff. Also appeared a little brighter in real life.
https://photos-2.dropbox.com/t/2/AAD0BU4GS7XDsXQHaZ160F24LFZ8u9fa_mew-QLzIGW5Jw/12/261603744/jpeg/1024x768/3/1509562800/0/2/DSC_1065.JPG/ENyO7fMBGJABIAcoBw/-0Z2oMuuW_GWVsWUofbSBNnMf7PFZYURCxKkCl1V1ds?size=1024x768&size_mode=3

Edited to add comparison on the road, left is incandescent right is LED.
https://photos-5.dropbox.com/t/2/AAB14mf0YAHKLLRGVatRNopk1NuZt0ukvQob8YgDYOevvg/12/261603744/png/1024x768/3/1509595200/0/2/20171101_233822.png/ENyO7fMBGJEBIAcoBw/5p5seebv3Me8fU2ahH3v23VDnNnF8OEm3Wxd4I6EgLE?size=1024x768&size_mode=3

Hahadumball
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:00 - 28 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

tried out an led bulb...

https://i.imgur.com/2CrlxuL.jpg

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2x-H4-9003-HB2-Hi-Low-Beam-Bulbs-80W-LED-Headlight-Kit-6000K-White-Super-Bright/201718085929?hash=item2ef755b929:g:5KMAAOSwA3dYKYm1

bright as fuck.. but the beam.. sweet baby jesus its all over the place, i need to have it showing 2ft infront of me on dip so i dont blind other drivers but then i cant see shit.. flick to main beam i get some random circle of light in front of me that is in the same place as dip beam...

rating...

brightness: better
distance: wack
beam: wack
reccomended: hell naw

going back to my 100w h4 halogen on a ceramic plug

bulb says 9v-36v so.. brb gonna go put 36v into it and see what happens

update:

ghetto fucked some wizardry onto it... put wrong wires on at first like a noob and got melty wire and melty finger but
36v does nothing so its regulated to 12v :C

https://i.imgur.com/SmZQxHT.jpg

yes my garage is a shit tip.. wasn't last week but much tinkering

https://i.imgur.com/oxYOPi5.jpg

Hahadumball
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:15 - 30 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

update to above bulb:

tested wattage and was quite surprised at how much they exaggerated and also confused about the amp draw.

claimed 72w low 80w high

low was 28w
high was 25w

intradesting figures.. the high beam used less watts than low

NutsyUk
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 21:30 - 30 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Despined_By_Ex wrote:
tried out an led bulb...

https://i.imgur.com/2CrlxuL.jpg

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2x-H4-9003-HB2-Hi-Low-Beam-Bulbs-80W-LED-Headlight-Kit-6000K-White-Super-Bright/201718085929?hash=item2ef755b929:g:5KMAAOSwA3dYKYm1

bright as fuck.. but the beam.. sweet baby jesus its all over the place, i need to have it showing 2ft infront of me on dip so i dont blind other drivers but then i cant see shit.. flick to main beam i get some random circle of light in front of me that is in the same place as dip beam...

rating...

brightness: better
distance: wack
beam: wack
reccomended: hell naw

going back to my 100w h4 halogen on a ceramic plug

bulb says 9v-36v so.. brb gonna go put 36v into it and see what happens

update:

ghetto fucked some wizardry onto it... put wrong wires on at first like a noob and got melty wire and melty finger but
36v does nothing so its regulated to 12v :C

https://i.imgur.com/SmZQxHT.jpg

yes my garage is a shit tip.. wasn't last week but much tinkering

https://i.imgur.com/oxYOPi5.jpg

I had those led headlights and I rather liked them... But yes you have to tweak the beam. You have to brake the glue used to hold the H4 plate and rotate them till you get the right beam pattern... I passed my MOT on the lexmoto with them... However one of the bulbs failed a couple of months after the MOT. Only been used for about 4 months. Not great quality in that sense.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 119 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2