Insurance price increase?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic : View next topic  

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 21:04 - 15 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Upgrade to a full licence and your life will be better

For better insurance companies, just use the usual price comparison websites.

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:51 - 15 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

AndyP44 wrote:
apparently my policy being with Aviva they don't discount for the 1st years no claims, which I find a bit odd, is that normal as I was expecting up to 30% off.[/quote
I expect you got an 'introductory discount' when you started the policy which effectively equates to the 1st year's NCD. Doesn't stop you going elsewhere of course, waving your 1 year NCD entitlement.

I renewed for a second year with Hastings a few months ago, and like you was expecting a big drop in premium, but it ended up pretty much the same. I threw my toys out the pram, but despite looking at lots of other insurers I still couldn't find anything even to come close to the Hastings quote so went crawling back.

Quote:
Any other better insurers out there? Confused

Wot Ste said.

But if you find a decent quote that way, do go to the new insurer's website direct and buy the policy there; don't rely on the correct details being passed on properly from the screenscraper site. Better, join Topcashback and go via that to get some ££ back (eg new policies with Hastings currently generate £15/£31; Bennetts, £21, Carole Nash, £26); or better yet, join it via my referral link to net yourself a £5 Amazon voucher as well, and a kickback for me Cool.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:47 - 16 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

AndyP44 wrote:
Just been on the phone to Bennetts re,renewal. Paid 323 last year and was quoted 336 this year, apparently my policy being with Aviva they don't discount for the 1st years no claims, which I find a bit odd, is that normal as I was expecting up to 30% off.

The salesperson explained that due to high theft rate of motorcycles in London, policies have increased and other insurers were quoting her 500 ( this is to insure a YBR125 and Im 45, provisional). Finally she got it down to 308, which I wasn't impressed with so told her to halt the automatic payment renewal procedure (sneaky b*stards)

Any other better insurers out there? Confused

Hmm most NCB discount seems to be in the first year, I think with a second I got a £6 reduction Rolling Eyes Not noticed a massive increase despite living in bike jacking central, but that's with MCE, other insurers seem less competitive now (in that they used to be a lot closer to MCE quotes).

Get on a comparison site, it's hard to say who will like you. For example Bennetts have always been one of the most expensive for me.

ScottT
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 13:58 - 17 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

My renewal came in the post yesterday.
Last year £242, this year they want £336 this is for a ZX6 and a 100cc Honda scooter (my commuter) on the same policy with 4yrs NCB.

A quick search got me £95 for the ZX6 using my NCB and £81 for the Honda with 0 NCB if i go with 2 new policys.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:40 - 18 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just got the 2 cars out of the way for the year (glutton for punishment me, one of them a few days before Christmas, one a few days after).

Car 1 came in at £580 from £475 last year. Car 2 more difficult to judge as I swapped motor half way through but on the face of it I'd go with ~£310 to £365. So that's ~22% on 1 and ~17% on 2 from my very rough maths.

However, shopped around a bit and found decent alternatives with quality paper (actual onshore A rated capacity - such wow it still exists) at £365 and £338 for 1 and 2 respectively.

Not a bad saving, that.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 11:31 - 18 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you implying that offshore underwriters might say "Solle, no speeking el Anglaise" in the event of a claim?

In that event, what do? Claim against whichever UK entity printed the certificate / the broker / the MIB / Kensington and Chelsea council?

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:37 - 18 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
Are you implying that offshore underwriters might say "Solle, no speeking el Anglaise" in the event of a claim?

In that event, what do? Claim against whichever UK entity printed the certificate / the broker / the MIB / Kensington and Chelsea council?

Not so much that; not a lot of the offshore UW's have their own claims capability anyway - they sub-delegate that (and the underwriting, of course), to a third party claims team.

It's more the sudden going 'pop' that I don't like.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 12:25 - 18 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

What would happen if the last link dropped off a chain of indemnity?

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:30 - 18 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
What would happen if the last link dropped off a chain of indemnity?

At a guess, MIB would have to step in to pay the TP costs. Your costs, not so convinced.

I have to say, I've never really thought about it or followed the chain through.

The last time it happened to a big player in the UK market was Independent sometime back in the early 00's - at that point, AXA soaked up my entire existing book out of them on goodwill alone (to be read: there's a book we can go at here to grow the business) and they picked up all the claims as if they were the insurer, retrospectively.

I do believe ERS did something very similar but maybe not quite to the same extent when Enterprise folded.

rubyhorse2
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 16:11 - 18 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

insurance is simply a con.

Rang mine this year to see what they could do and she noticed my theft from 6 years ago was still on record so removed it...guess what, they renewal went up by £30 doing this, they couldn't even explain it.

i went elsewhere.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 16:19 - 18 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why do people bother even asking the call centre person if they can explain the price increase? Laughing

The real reason they need to increase the price of your premium by at least £30 is to cover the cashback and discounted rates they offer to new customers. Wink

andym
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:35 - 22 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to hijack this thread rather than start my own....

My insurance is due for renewal and my premium has increased by around 30% too.

The strange thing is I've checked with all the comparison sites, tried from FC to TPO, from 1000 miles to 5000 miles, with and without pillion cover, changed the value of the bike from £1000 to £2500, with and without alarm (and other security).... I've even tried getting quotes on different days from different sites. No matter what details I change it still comes back with a renewal price of £120.92 Thinking

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:37 - 22 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Minimum premium is my guess.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 20:34 - 22 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quite probably a stupid suggestion that won't actually help but you might as well try keep increasing your annual mileage higher than 5k and see what that does.

Adjusting your job title is another possibility. https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/insurance/car-insurance-job-picker/

If cashback is available for one of the better priced insurance companies then that will help reduce the total amount it ends up costing you. https://www.topcashback.co.uk/category/bike-insurance/ (if you've not got an account then I'd love to pimp my referral link Laughing )

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:38 - 22 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not looking forward to January when my multi car (3 cars) policy is due.

I was with Admiral for ages but when it went over £1000 I shopped around and got it for £650 from Direct line. I suspect that will rocket in the hope muggins here will just let it auto renew Rolling Eyes

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 23:29 - 22 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

arry wrote:

Across a whole range of insurers and risks?

If the insurance cartel wants me to stop calling it a cartel, it should stop acting like a cartel. Folded arms

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:15 - 23 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
arry wrote:

Across a whole range of insurers and risks?

If the insurance cartel wants me to stop calling it a cartel, it should stop acting like a cartel. Folded arms

Quote:
I've checked with all the comparison sites No matter what details I change it still comes back with a renewal price of

I read it as he's inputting different variables into his quote on comparison sites and the renewal price, ie from the same insurer, is coming back the same.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 97 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2