Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Oil filter torque spec - service manual or filter rating?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

daws0n
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 20:16 - 09 Dec 2017    Post subject: Oil filter torque spec - service manual or filter rating? Reply with quote

Hey guys

Following on from my previous post I spent the afternoon changing the oil and filter on my ER-5... A 40 mile run down the motorway sorted out the oil misting and the job went smoothly.

Quick question - the oil filter I've installed is an aftermarket HIFlo... The torque spec printed on the filter is 12nm, so that's what I went with when installing. However cross referencing with my haynes and kawasaki manuals, they both advise a higher setting (17nm).

Is it ok to leave as-is or should I tighten it a little more?

ADSrox0r
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:27 - 09 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hand tight, that's all you ever want for oil filters. Dab of oil around the seal, get a good grip preferably with a pair of 'grippy' gloves and tighten it as much as you can by hand, no more.

Tools are for removing oil filters, not fitting.

daws0n
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 20:52 - 09 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep did that - gasket coated prior to installation and I also spent a while cleaning all the muck and salt from the engine head around the old filter before I took it off - could really do with some compressed air for that in future. It took considerable force to remove but came off smoothly once the seal broke.

Hmm the bike manual says "tighten the oil filter with an oil wrench" and haynes "install the filter and tighten to amount listed in chapter specifications" (both 17nm). I will err on the side of caution and leave it at 12nm just incase... Hopefully no harm done.

In future is it best to ignore the guidance and tighten by hand only?

Islander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:04 - 09 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, tighten by hand as described after lightly coating the rubber washer with clean oil. If you notice any weeping just give it a tweak. Thumbs Up

The wrench is useful for getting the old filters off though Smile

daws0n
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 21:19 - 09 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will do Thumbs Up

Yes having a metal socket is great for getting it off, well worth the money. I tried doing the same on my XJR using a wrap around strap and it was rubbish - just ended up distorting the housing and made a right old mess! Much easier this way.

ADSrox0r
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:14 - 09 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be perfectly honest, any oil filer that has given me grief in the act of removal over the years gets a philips screwdriver rammed through it and forced off. It's going in the bin anyway so there's no need to give it a ceremonial burial, stab it twist it and rip it off.

RedRooster
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 12:59 - 11 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definatly agree with the above best not to over tighten could cause issues in future
Beehive Bedlam This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

bamt
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:19 - 11 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Be interesting to see how much torque hand tight is on an oil filter. It's how I always do them too, but assuming reasonable access you can get a pretty good grip on them and 12Nm isn't particularly tight for something so large.

mudcow007
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:03 - 12 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

becareful if your using the old "ol screwdriver" removal trick, the metal becomes razor sharp Shocked
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

davebike
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:21 - 12 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

The other problem with the ram a screwdriver though it is as several customers have found over the years is if you don't suck seed the bike is immobile !

Try everything else first unless you used the ram a screwdriver method before!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

ADSrox0r
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:59 - 12 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's worth investing in a pair of oil filter grips tbh, gets em off every time.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:34 - 12 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know that Kawasaki state a specific procedure for fitting oil filters. That involves using a tool to tighten the filter. Very very bastirt tight to get off.. 😠

Generally, clean mating faces, smear clean engine oil around seal surface, spin on until seal contacts filter base surface, turn an additional 3/4 turn. (Access may require a tool).
Run engine and check filter for leaks. If leaking tighten a bit more and re-check.

Ramming a spike through filter for removal is a cool idea but there is a tiny issue with this method. The old filter is destroyed in the process. If your new filter is does not fit you are fcuked. Unless you can get the bus, taxi or your mum to take you to the dealer, bike shop for the correct part.
Filters rammed on using tools are usually very tight to get off again.
And an old filter can be reused if in dire need (and you have not crushed its ribs in getting it off).
Just let it drain completely and fit a new one ASAP.
Problem: Some filter systems have a bypass so oil can still get to vital parts if the filter is choked with 'stuff'. The reasoning for this is that 'Some oil is better than None oil'.

Waits for hail of argument.

🤣

Fizzer Thou
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:24 - 14 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bikes with spin on oil filters vary enormously and the space around the filter will dictate how easy or difficult they are to access.Some will be easier to install than to uninstall,and vice-versa.I know of at least one bike with an after market exhaust fitted,where it is easier to remove it so as to gain access.

One tip I would advise on is to prime the new oil filter before installation.You will be surprised how much oil the filter will soak up.

Another tip is that after your initial ride out after the filter change is to check the tightness of the filter.It may well be that it could do with just a small amount of extra twist on it.I have seen the outcome of an oil filter coming undone and falling off and neither results are very pretty Thumbs Down Shocked

Always have a 'Plan B'

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:14 - 14 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fizzer Thou wrote:
Bikes with spin on oil filters vary enormously and the space around the filter will dictate how easy or difficult they are to access.Some will be easier to install than to uninstall,and vice-versa.I know of at least one bike with an after market exhaust fitted,where it is easier to remove it so as to gain access.

One tip I would advise on is to prime the new oil filter before installation.You will be surprised how much oil the filter will soak up.

Another tip is that after your initial ride out after the filter change is to check the tightness of the filter.It may well be that it could do with just a small amount of extra twist on it.I have seen the outcome of an oil filter coming undone and falling off and neither results are very pretty Thumbs Down Shocked

Here is a contrary tip: Razz

Do not prime the new filter.
The chance of introducing shit on the wrong side of the filter makes it obviously risky.

And how can we pre-fill a horizontally mounted filter?

Just fit, top up to the level mark (as the book says) and start the hoowur.
There should easily be enough oil stuck to everything to provide protection for start up.
No beasting of the throttle until you stop and check oil level. (but even then a filter only uses a small percentage of oil capacity.)

Fizzer Thou
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:58 - 16 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

MCN wrote:

The chance of introducing shit on the wrong side of the filter makes it obviously risky.

Really??

Why would priming the filter introduce shit into the filter be any different to fitting it without priming it?

Have you EVER tried priming a spin on oil filter and watching just how much the filter soaks that oil up?

And I am not saying fill it all of the way to the top and then spin it in place.I said prime it.Once the filter has stopped expelling any air then tip out some excess oil and then fit it.

It is not rocket science Brick Wall

Always have a 'Plan B'

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:53 - 16 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fizzer Thou wrote:
MCN wrote:

Really??

Why would priming the filter introduce shit into the filter be any different to fitting it without priming it?

Have you EVER tried priming a spin on oil filter and watching just how much the filter soaks that oil up?

And I am not saying fill it all of the way to the top and then spin it in place.I said prime it.Once the filter has stopped expelling any air then tip out some excess oil and then fit it.

It is not rocket science Brick Wall

Oil filters are not built like a TARDIS. The inside actually holds less oil than the outside 'looks' like it should hold.

Pre-filling the filter risks introducing shit on the wrong side of the matrix.
Not filling it will NOT introduce shit.

Keep new filters in their original packaging in a suitable place where they will not deteriorate. If they are sold loose then bag it and store it.

And the amount of oil is still not even worth the hassle.

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:27 - 16 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've heard all about the old some engines can't self prime the pumps, and will tear up bearings in seconds if you don't prime and fill the pump and filter before trying to start it.

I've never seen or had an engine though that needed grease packed oil pumps, manual filling of the pump or similar to start pumping oil.

Oh and OP I wouldn't use a torque wrench for anything really on the outside of an engine. Things like cam cover bolts, sump plugs, spark plugs, oil filters are all asking for trouble if you go attacking them with torque wrenches, that may be wrongly set by mistake or not calibrated.

You only need a specific torque setting for very important fasteners like flywheel bolts, primary gear nuts, clutch drums or cylinder head bolts IMO.

Islander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:31 - 16 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never primed an oil filter. I just fill to indicated max then start the bike and let it run at tickover for a minute or so, let it settle then top up as needed.

No need to prime IMO.

Fizzer Thou
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:56 - 16 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

MCN wrote:
Oil filters are not built like a TARDIS. The inside actually holds less oil than the outside 'looks' like it should hold.

Pre-filling the filter risks introducing shit on the wrong side of the matrix.
Not filling it will NOT introduce shit.

Keep new filters in their original packaging in a suitable place where they will not deteriorate. If they are sold loose then bag it and store it.

And the amount of oil is still not even worth the hassle.

I am not sure what sort of environment you work in when working on your bikes,but I am pretty sure that many on BCF will work in a pretty clean area when refilling their bikes with oil.So I do not understand where this 'shit' that you write about is likely to appear from.If as you say there is a danger of it getting into the open side of an oil filter before installation,why would pouring clean oil from a clean container introduce shit into the filter?

If as you say there is a likelihood of 'shit' getting into the open side of an oil filter,then is there not a likelihood of 'shit' getting into the engine when you fill through the filler cap?

How do new oil filters deteriorate?Of the many that I have purchased over the years,they normally arrive with a cellophane seal over the open end.Those,like the oil filters for my car,come in an ordinary cardboard box and not sealed.So how would such a filter deteriorate?

Why do workshop manuals stipulate an amount of oil if not changing a filter and a larger amount when changing the filter?

Always have a 'Plan B'

Triton Thrasher
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 22:04 - 16 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

MCN wrote:

Someone has introduced shit into your head.

ADSrox0r
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:02 - 16 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see absolutely zero possibility of introducing 'shit' into a brand new filter by pouring brand new oil into it.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:56 - 17 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is absolutely no need to pre-fill a filter when there is a pump in the system to fill it.

I cannot see any savings in this myth.

But anyone who feels like wasting time doing so can batter on with their determined-ness

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:59 - 17 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Triton Thrasher wrote:
MCN wrote:

Someone has introduced shit into your head.

But I'm not a potato my petit pomme de terre. Razz Razz

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 21:53 - 17 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's no need to "prime" a new filter because it's totally full within about 0.5 seconds of touching the starter button... As anyone who has inadvertantly fitted a filter without first having removed the old o-ring from the gasket surface will be able to verify.

So no need to get oil all over the shop.

It will take a modern Japanese bike with a trochoidal oil pump less than 10 seconds at a fast idle to empty the whole sump onto the garage floor through a poorly sealed filter.

If you have an old or oddball bike with a piston pump then yes, priming the filter is a good idea. It takes my 350 bullet over 1m30s at idle minutes to get oil from the tank to the rockers
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 122 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2