Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

oxford hot hands

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

bigdom86
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 11:30 - 11 Dec 2017    Post subject: oxford hot hands Reply with quote

that time of year again when the hands go numb, thinking of giving in and just having muffs but willing to try some heated grips first, anyone used the oxford hot hands type of grip? seem to get good reviews

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:38 - 11 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

They make the grips very thick.

Personally I'd go for the sport grips which are thin and once you have fitted them you can forget about it.

If you go to the effort of fitting the wiring, just fit the proper grips at the same time.

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 11:39 - 11 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still cannot understand why you would not have muffs. Wind and wet is the issue, this keeps absolutely everything off you. Add basic heated grips and you are able to ride without gloves with hands that make you feel like the human torch.

Muffs all day long with a boggo set of heated grips.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

colink98
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 12:41 - 11 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paddy. wrote:
I still cannot understand why you would not have muffs.

it can only be a "image" thing.....
its just too much for some people.
Beehive Bedlam This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

Qyburn
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 13:52 - 11 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paddy. wrote:

Do you find any issues getting your hands in and out, for example in a hurry? I have 1/2 mile of sometimes slippery farm track before the public road and I worry that having my hands in muffs might in some way interfere with keeping things under control.

DrDonnyBrago
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:34 - 11 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Qyburn wrote:
Paddy. wrote:

Do you find any issues getting your hands in and out, for example in a hurry? I have 1/2 mile of sometimes slippery farm track before the public road and I worry that having my hands in muffs might in some way interfere with keeping things under control.

Muffs do slow getting your hands back in down, not much impact on getting them out.

Not sure how taking your hands off the bars will help with keeping a bike under control though.

bigdom86
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 14:48 - 11 Dec 2017    Post subject: re Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
They make the grips very thick.

Personally I'd go for the sport grips which are thin and once you have fitted them you can forget about it.

If you go to the effort of fitting the wiring, just fit the proper grips at the same time.

which are the sport grips? I think it is time I change by bike and not really care anymore and just get muffs, although it isn't often both wet and cold in london these days

2Hondas
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 14:49 - 11 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe I've got a set of those hot hands lying around somewhere.
If I can find them and all the bits then you can have them for postage cost.

They came with my Hornet and I took them straight off and replaced them with some integrated hot grips. They're like wrapping the grips in a thick sock, and feels very odd.

They're also fabric, so if you leave them on your bike and it rains, they get soggy.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 17:48 - 11 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had zero issues removing my hands out.

It takes probably 2 rides max to get used to them but trust me, you'll never want to go a winter without them.

Wonko The Sane
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:54 - 11 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paddy. wrote:
I had zero issues removing my hands out.

It takes probably 2 rides max to get used to them but trust me, you'll never want to go a winter without them.

Likewise, they were on my ZZR when I got punted off it, no problem whatsoever.

Taking your hands off quickly in a random motion might cause one of the muffs to come detached from the bar end weight (if they're that type) but if that's happened you're probably in a position to sort it anyway (unless you have a habit of suddenly taking your hands off while on the motorway?)

The only reason I didn't have them on my ZZR the past couple of winters was they fowled the fairing quite badly and rubbed the paint off.

No issues on the Hornet, glad to have them back on. Wouldn't mind a bit more warmth though...

Hahadumball
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:32 - 11 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

cant fit muffs on the vtr :C

i fitted those cheap shitty heat pads and they work surprisingly well with a set of under gloves.

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 09:26 - 12 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Despined_By_Ex wrote:

Can't or won't? Have them on the GSXR, and my old GSXR...and another GSXR, and a TL. Laughing

Hahadumball
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:11 - 12 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paddy. wrote:
Despined_By_Ex wrote:

Can't or won't? Have them on the GSXR, and my old GSXR...and another GSXR, and a TL. Laughing

fairing and tank in the way massively, cant even get near full lock on vtr unless your hands are off the bars

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 11:12 - 12 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Soft muffs won't prevent that. Should be fine with a set of tucanos.

kawakid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:03 - 12 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have hot hands on my commuter, which I use with muffs, I find them excellent tbh, absolutely brilliant. The hot hands come off in seconds and for most of the year they are not on.

On my Z, I have fitted proper heated grips, yeah they are thinner, but then they are much more difficult to remove even if needed.

SuperMike
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 12:39 - 12 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a set of oxford heated grips and I would give them a middling review. They are fine when it is a bit nippy outside, but when it approaches or goes under 0 they aren't all that. The problem is that they heat the palm of your hands well, but they don't do anything for the fingers. The result is that you get off your bike with frostbite on half your fingers as opposed to all of them.

I use a pair of Gerbing X12 heated gloves that are wired into my battery. Now those things are like putting your hands into an oven! The top red setting has to be unlocked it is so hot!

If I were doing it all again, I would have left the standard grips on the bike and just got the gloves straight away. They are expensive (£120 from memory), but I have had 3 blissful seasons of winter out of them so well worth the investment in my view. Thinking of also buying the heated undergarments this year too for extra smugness on the commute.

Courier265
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:06 - 12 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

This will help your fingers...

https://www.wemoto.com/parts/picture/sc-2290-83-1109/

Wonko The Sane
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:49 - 12 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

SuperMike wrote:
I have a set of oxford heated grips and I would give them a middling review. They are fine when it is a bit nippy outside, but when it approaches or goes under 0 they aren't all that. The problem is that they heat the palm of your hands well, but they don't do anything for the fingers. The result is that you get off your bike with frostbite on half your fingers as opposed to all of them.

Muffs and heated grips are, I'm told, the answer as you loose the wind chill and the heated grip's heat is retained slightly in the muff so of use even as the temperature drops.

Think I could do with some heated grips for next winter along with my muffs.

evilzed
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 14:08 - 12 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got Gerbing gloves which are great but too much faff. Muffs + heated grips + silicone lever sleeves did the job for me, the foam sleeves kept tearing eventually. IME lever sleeves make a big difference in finger pain.

SuperMike
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 20:32 - 12 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

evilzed wrote:
I've got Gerbing gloves which are great but too much faff. Muffs + heated grips + silicone lever sleeves did the job for me, the foam sleeves kept tearing eventually. IME lever sleeves make a big difference in finger pain.

What like plugging in two cables and then putting them on just like your normal gloves sort of faff? What am I missing here?

evilzed
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 00:48 - 13 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

SuperMike wrote:
evilzed wrote:

What like plugging in two cables and then putting them on just like your normal gloves sort of faff? What am I missing here?

I don't like keeping the wires in between my jacket liner (as it's not always sub zero temps in London) so have to pull them through the sleeves every time, then be careful not to scratch the tank with the metal wire ends hanging out my jacket when unlocking/wheeling the bike out, followed by connecting them up and trying and stuffing the cuff under my jacket and connecting the controller up then the gloves up etc. Worth it for a long trek otherwise it's a bit much

I prefer the 10 mins to install muffs early winter and the <10 seconds to turn the grips on Thumbs Up

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 01:25 - 13 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

My heated grips (Triumph OEM) are superb. The barn door fairing helps mind. Only 2 settings but no more really needed.

I put Oxford sports grips on my busa when I was touring Europe on it and had no complaints about their operation.

I hate having wires attaching me to the bike in any form so I won't wear heated gloves.

bigdom86
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 10:55 - 13 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

2Hondas wrote:
I believe I've got a set of those hot hands lying around somewhere.
If I can find them and all the bits then you can have them for postage cost.

They came with my Hornet and I took them straight off and replaced them with some integrated hot grips. They're like wrapping the grips in a thick sock, and feels very odd.

They're also fabric, so if you leave them on your bike and it rains, they get soggy.

thanks for the offer mate, if you find them they would definitely be worth a try! Smile

kawakid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:06 - 13 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

evilzed wrote:
+ silicone lever sleeves did the job for me

Thank you.

Until yesterday I had no idea such things existed.

I ride with Turco Urbano Muffs and Hot hands, but when its really cold, I can feel the metal of the levers through my gloves (I ride with summer gloves).

Anyway thanks, i've ordered a pair from ebay.

Weirdly enough I was already planning to wrap my levers in self amalgamating tape.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 106 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2