Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Neck pain

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF...
View previous topic : View next topic  

kawashima
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:26 - 12 Dec 2017    Post subject: Neck pain Reply with quote

I was told I'm Cervical disease (possibly "a bit" of hernia) by Orthopedic surgery doctor 3 weeks ago.
Now doing neck traction at Orthopedic surgery, taking pain killer.
No motorcycle, no bicycle, no swimming, no bowling at the moment.
My bad habit of cracking my neck for 20years made my Cervical disc loose and unstable, and I've twisted my neck while asleep, it was the start of pain in shoulder then neck.

What I can do now is walking in a pool, walking on a treadmill at gym.

I hope I get better someday.
Do any of BCFers suffer neck pain and still ride your bikes?

Nexus Icon
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:46 - 12 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there. Sorry you're in pain.

I dislocated my cervical vertebrae in a motorbike crash when I was 17. 30 years on, I occasionally get twinges when I turn my neck and a constant crunching noise that I can hear in a silent room.

With time, and a bit of physiotherapy, it hasn't really affected my motorcycling life. About 2 years ago I was in a serious road accident (in a car) and suffered soft tissue damage to my neck and upper back. That felt like everything had reset to the day of the bike crash but 3 months of physio had me back to normal again.

There is hope. Keep up the exercises.

kawashima
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:05 - 12 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nexus Icon wrote:
Hi there. Sorry you're in pain.

I dislocated my cervical vertebrae in a motorbike crash when I was 17. 30 years on, I occasionally get twinges when I turn my neck and a constant crunching noise that I can hear in a silent room.

With time, and a bit of physiotherapy, it hasn't really affected my motorcycling life. About 2 years ago I was in a serious road accident (in a car) and suffered soft tissue damage to my neck and upper back. That felt like everything had reset to the day of the bike crash but 3 months of physio had me back to normal again.

There is hope. Keep up the exercises.

Thank you for telling me your experience. Your 2 times accidents are much severer than mine but you kept on physio excersise and got your health back to normal life. I respect you.
I keep going on physio + excercise what I can do now. Thumbs Up

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:36 - 12 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

After being hit by another rider many years ago, I cracked two bones in my neck.
Much rest, physio and patience.
It took two years to be better.

What I’m trying to say is that it takes time to heal, don’t push it or you may make it worse.

kawashima
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:06 - 12 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

pepperami wrote:
After being hit by another rider many years ago, I cracked two bones in my neck.
Much rest, physio and patience.
It took two years to be better.

What I’m trying to say is that it takes time to heal, don’t push it or you may make it worse.

Thank you for your experience.
I will be careful not to try to push and hurry, and keep your advise in my mind. Rest, physio and patience.

Hetzer
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:22 - 12 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Massage is good to keep blood moving through tight/tense muscles. If you get knots in those it can exacerbate the problem.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 17:23 - 12 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know you're in Japan, not China or Taiwan but do people do anything like Tai Chi over there?

Good, core exercises for alignment of joints and increasing muscle tone and range of movement as well as training an awareness of your body. All internal so very unlikely to do any damage and all exercises are performed standing with the crown suspended.

My practice has helped me a lot with back and shoulder pain and reduced the number of injuries I sustain in that area. I'd think it would be very good for the neck area too to build up muscles (which will in turn support the joints) and correct posture. You would need a good teacher who is aware of your problems.

One of my teachers runs classes specially for old ladies with osteoperosis who will often have very weak or collapsing vertebrae and they get a lot of benefit from it.

kawashima
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:02 - 12 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hetzer wrote:
Massage is good to keep blood moving through tight/tense muscles. If you get knots in those it can exacerbate the problem.

Thank you. I will carefully do massage myself while bathing, or ask at orthopedic surgery rehabilitation.

stinkwheel wrote:
I know you're in Japan, not China or Taiwan but do people do anything like Tai Chi over there?

Good, core exercises for alignment of joints and increasing muscle tone and range of movement as well as training an awareness of your body. All internal so very unlikely to do any damage and all exercises are performed standing with the crown suspended.

My practice has helped me a lot with back and shoulder pain and reduced the number of injuries I sustain in that area. I'd think it would be very good for the neck area too to build up muscles (which will in turn support the joints) and correct posture. You would need a good teacher who is aware of your problems.

One of my teachers runs classes specially for old ladies with osteoperosis who will often have very weak or collapsing vertebrae and they get a lot of benefit from it.

Thank you for your advice.
There are not so many people as China or Taiwan, but there seem to be some Tai Chi classes in my area too. It looks good for rehabilitation of my symptom too. Thumbs Up

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 01:39 - 13 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nothing new to add but as above, don't overdo things. Heal well Thumbs Up

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 04:15 - 14 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

My neck pain is ostensibly as a result of a bike accident, but was very low speed and nothing was broken (so far as I know), just that my neck muscles (usually on the right) sometimes becomes very badly knotted.

I get tension headaches and sometimes it locks up on one side - so when it is very bad, I can't turn my head beyond 45° and am unable to pick up heavy things with my right hand (so I avoid kettles and pans of boiling water!) -

I had a course of diclofenac (but got terribly addicted to it!) but also some physiotherapy helped, I learnt to do hyperextensions and conscious shoulder dropping - both of which help a lot.

I always have uddermint available, and/or red Tiger Balm to help ease discomfort.

kawashima
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:42 - 14 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

hellkat wrote:
My neck pain is ostensibly as a result of a bike accident, but was very low speed and nothing was broken (so far as I know), just that my neck muscles (usually on the right) sometimes becomes very badly knotted.

I get tension headaches and sometimes it locks up on one side - so when it is very bad, I can't turn my head beyond 45° and am unable to pick up heavy things with my right hand (so I avoid kettles and pans of boiling water!) -

I had a course of diclofenac (but got terribly addicted to it!) but also some physiotherapy helped, I learnt to do hyperextensions and conscious shoulder dropping - both of which help a lot.

I always have uddermint available, and/or red Tiger Balm to help ease discomfort.

It looks painful. I hope you get well soon.
What is "hyperextensions"and"conscious shoulder dropping"?
Is it a kind of exercise?

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 01:07 - 15 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes it is exactly that.
Conscious shoulder dropping is just a matter of every time you realise you are tense, you consciously allow your shoulders to relax and drop back down into their correct position. It makes you think more consciously about the fact you are doing it.

Hyperextensions are just simple stretches, really. You turn your head to a comfortable degree and then place your hand and push gently so that you slightly turn it a little bit more in the same direction - effectively you are extending the muscle beyond what you thought you could do. Its very gentle and non-combative, so does not hurt or damage. You do it on both sides, and also whilst looking both up and down.

kawashima
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 04:26 - 15 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

hellkat wrote:
Yes it is exactly that.
Conscious shoulder dropping is just a matter of every time you realise you are tense, you consciously allow your shoulders to relax and drop back down into their correct position. It makes you think more consciously about the fact you are doing it.

Hyperextensions are just simple stretches, really. You turn your head to a comfortable degree and then place your hand and push gently so that you slightly turn it a little bit more in the same direction - effectively you are extending the muscle beyond what you thought you could do. Its very gentle and non-combative, so does not hurt or damage. You do it on both sides, and also whilst looking both up and down.

Thank you for your explanation, it was really helpful for me!

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 15:58 - 15 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

hellkat wrote:
Yes it is exactly that.

We do this a lot in Tai Chi. They often describe the movement as "allowing your shoulderblades to melt down your back." Easiest to do at the same time as a long, slow out breath as if the shoulderblades have suddenly become extra heavy and are being pulled towards the ground.

For neck alignment, keeping the crown suspended (as if someone had hold of the topmost hair on your head and was pulling it straight up) is important.

A recent revelation to me is the fact that shoulders have both a front and a back (duh!). So having an awareness that your collar bones should sink and the pectoral and intercostal (between the ribs) muscles relax at the same time as your shoulder blades are dropping is beneficial. Failing to do so while you relax/melt the shoulder blades has a tendancy to lift the chest and tense the front line of the body out of alignment.

It's only taken me 4 years of training at least once a week to work this out...

Incidentally, I find that taking a big in-breath the letting it go while allowing my chest and shoulders to drop into an alignment with my crown suspended is an excellent way of relaxing and preparing myself for dealing with a stressful situation.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 106 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1