Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Heated bike cover

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Wheezybiker
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 15:54 - 12 Dec 2017    Post subject: Heated bike cover Reply with quote

Heated bike cover
Useful,sensible or gimmick
Anyone use one
Any recommendations [/i]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Beehive Bedlam This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

Wonko The Sane
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:00 - 12 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to agree, commuting on the bike especially through winter means you're usually parking it when it's wet.

Never been sure if covering it from more wet but keeping wet contained near the bike is a good idea or not.

Cover goes on if lots of snow / ice is forcast or if I'm not going to be using the bike for a few days, for example, if the bike is dry when I get home on Christmas eve the cover will go on until 2nd Jan when I'm back at work.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 18:07 - 12 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many people like their cars and may take about 30 mins washing them or going through a car wash. But Motorcyclists love their bikes and typically spend between 2 to 3 hours tinkering and cleaning every single part, more so in the winter months when dirt and grime seem to get everywhere. We all know how important it is to keep our prized possessions as clean and dry as possible.

Unfortunately most of us do not own heated garages; many are very cold, some are damp and sometimes our bikes are stored in a shed or even outside. The temptation to ride in the winter months is dampened by the necessity to clean and then dry them for storage, then to prepare them to ride and there are only so many hours of daylight in a winter’s day!

We all find ways of protecting our bikes, for instance with a standard bike cover and perhaps the use of an electric greenhouse heater. Some wipe the bike down with WD40 or the like, which of course has to be removed before being rode again – let’s be honest we try all sorts of things to try keeping the rust and corrosion at bay, away from our highly prized Machines.

Bikes are very susceptible to dampness, which can cause rusting and corrosion, and in winter the freezing conditions can have an adverse effect on the battery, oil, petrol and other fluids. I have been a biker for many years and have first-hand experience of the disappointment of bringing my bike out in the spring only to find that the chrome has started to rust and the aluminium has started to pit, and then spend hours trying to fix it.

That’s what drove me to design the Cosy Bike Cover – a premium fleece-lined and Heated Motorcycle cover operating from a low voltage power source. Cosy Bike is thermostatically controlled, so when your return from your ride and your bike is a bit damp, dry it down and once it is cooled, you fit the cover and switch it on, and the bike will be maintained.

For long term storage the cover can be set at the low temperature setting, which will keep it just above the ambient temperature.

Motorcycles (there are more than 1.3m on UK roads) need looking after and none of the current bike covers can do what Cosy Bike does. The cover is very easy to use, comes in a waterproof bag and contains fitting instructions.

The soft interior fleece lining will prevent scratching, while the tough exterior will not tear. Simply roll it over your bike, secure where necessary then switch it on to the desired setting.

https://www.cosy-bike.co.uk/first-heated-motorcycle-cover/

Buy one for just £194.50 and shipping from 10th January 2018. https://www.cosy-bike.co.uk/shop/cosy-bike-sport-tourer/

The last post on their website is from May last year. They've posted once this year on their facebook page.

100% gimmick.

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:30 - 12 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I keep reading the thread title as "Haunted Bike Cover".

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 18:33 - 12 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feel like this is one of those things that nobody needs, not unlike Rainpal, a wine rack made entirely of granite, a picture made up of old lego or scrabble tiles or whatever other tat they sell at Christmas markets these days.

I genuinely worry about people in the UK producing products that nobody needs, and making money from it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:43 - 12 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a heated bike cover and it works really really well, it’s called my garage Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 18:47 - 12 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't find a solid granite wine rack. :'(

bamt
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:14 - 12 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

What does solid granite wine taste like?

Howling Terror
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:20 - 12 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^^Full bodied...some say it's a bit heavy.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:26 - 12 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:

I genuinely worry about people in the UK producing products that nobody needs, and making money from it.

I worry more about the suckers that buy these products. Although I don't worry about them either.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:30 - 12 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
Many people like their cars and may take about 30 mins washing them or going through a car wash. But Motorcyclists love their bikes and typically spend between 2 to 3 hours tinkering and cleaning every single part, more so in the winter months when dirt and grime seem to get everywhere. We all know how important it is to keep our prized possessions as clean and dry as possible.

Unfortunately most of us do not own heated garages; many are very cold, some are damp and sometimes our bikes are stored in a shed or even outside. The temptation to ride in the winter months is dampened by the necessity to clean and then dry them for storage, then to prepare them to ride and there are only so many hours of daylight in a winter’s day!

We all find ways of protecting our bikes, for instance with a standard bike cover and perhaps the use of an electric greenhouse heater. Some wipe the bike down with WD40 or the like, which of course has to be removed before being rode again – let’s be honest we try all sorts of things to try keeping the rust and corrosion at bay, away from our highly prized Machines.

Bikes are very susceptible to dampness, which can cause rusting and corrosion, and in winter the freezing conditions can have an adverse effect on the battery, oil, petrol and other fluids. I have been a biker for many years and have first-hand experience of the disappointment of bringing my bike out in the spring only to find that the chrome has started to rust and the aluminium has started to pit, and then spend hours trying to fix it.

That’s what drove me to design the Cosy Bike Cover – a premium fleece-lined and Heated Motorcycle cover operating from a low voltage power source. Cosy Bike is thermostatically controlled, so when your return from your ride and your bike is a bit damp, dry it down and once it is cooled, you fit the cover and switch it on, and the bike will be maintained.

For long term storage the cover can be set at the low temperature setting, which will keep it just above the ambient temperature.

Motorcycles (there are more than 1.3m on UK roads) need looking after and none of the current bike covers can do what Cosy Bike does. The cover is very easy to use, comes in a waterproof bag and contains fitting instructions.

The soft interior fleece lining will prevent scratching, while the tough exterior will not tear. Simply roll it over your bike, secure where necessary then switch it on to the desired setting.

https://www.cosy-bike.co.uk/first-heated-motorcycle-cover/

Buy one for just £194.50 and shipping from 10th January 2018. https://www.cosy-bike.co.uk/shop/cosy-bike-sport-tourer/

The last post on their website is from May last year. They've posted once this year on their facebook page.

100% gimmick.

Ha ha. Ste got the Tef. Ste got the Tef. Razz

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 20:33 - 12 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
Can't find a solid granite wine rack. :'(

Sorry, I typed granite, when I probably meant slate:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/132413896910?chn=ps&adgroupid=47119442607&rlsatarget=pla-378961801096&abcId=1128926&adtype=pla&merchantid=7323804&poi=&googleloc=9045743&device=c&campaignid=856227598&crdt=0

You see them at Christmas Markets. I've been dragged round a few of these markets over the years, and I can honestly say I've not seen a single useful or desirable item sold at them. They are designed exclusively to be given as rubbish presents by people with more money than sense, to people who would buy whatever they wanted in the first place.

A bit like a heated motorcycle cover, really.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 20:51 - 12 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might be on to something with your idea of solid granite wine racks.

There'd be no chance of them being sold at Christmas markets because of how impractical it would be to carry home. Due to the price they'd be much more exclusive than most other expensive status symbols for homes.

It's going to be incredibly expensive, would possibly require heavy machinery to install it into your house, it's quite unlikely to be stolen and no one will ever understand why you bought it.

https://i.imgur.com/6lgOmsD.jpg

Hong Kong Phooey
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:02 - 12 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

If God had wanted bikes to be warm in winter, he'd have kitted them out with a fleece just like he did with sheep. Fact.

Snodvan
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 21:51 - 12 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

pepperami wrote:
I have a heated bike cover and it works really really well, it’s called my garage Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

Yep, fortunately I have that sort of heated bike cover as well - with the Central Heating boiler in there to dry things out nice and keep the bike warm

----- that said I have not been out on the bike since August

SNOD

Wheezybiker
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 22:02 - 12 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gimmick it is then
Thanks for the teffing ste

The bike is a commuter gets used in all weathers except last few days when snow and ice have been present

It lives outside under a cover My thinking was a vented heated cover would help if covered damp
The bcf massive says no
I have been well and truly told

Thanks again

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:28 - 12 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks like it runs off the bike battery Shocked. It'll do nothing more than flatten it overnight.
https://www.cosy-bike.co.uk/how-it-works/

chickenstrip wrote:
MarJay wrote:

I worry more about the suckers that buy these products. Although I don't worry about them either.

I really don't understand the appeal of this one:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/wolffepack/wolffepack-capture-the-ultimate-camera-and-access

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 22:44 - 12 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kawasaki Jimbo wrote:

Oh yeah, Kickstarter is full of it. Absolutely full of it.

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:54 - 12 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah but this guy has already taken the first versions of his rucksack-on-a-string from Kickstarter to Amazon sales. Accessing a small rucksack is no more difficult than taking your coat off so I just don't get the idea. Pricey too.

Wonko The Sane
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:18 - 12 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kawasaki Jimbo wrote:
Yeah but this guy has already taken the first versions of his rucksack-on-a-string from Kickstarter to Amazon sales. Accessing a small rucksack is no more difficult than taking your coat off so I just don't get the idea. Pricey too.

For a camera kit bag I can kind of see the point,

You might be somewhere you don't want to put your bag down, either because you're actually walking between shots and need to swap a lens or it's quite wet and you don't want that water seeping through and getting at your kit.

Photographers often get themselves into the perfect position and then find they need to swap something / grab something from the bag and may be in a place where it's hard to do so putting the bag down.

It's not going to be on the shelves in Jessops (if they even still exist as high street stores) but there are some people who this will be perfect for.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:34 - 12 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bodyguard wrote:
If you actually use your bike for its intended purpose like riding it I wouldn't bother even if your bike lives outside faffing around with a cover when it's pissing it down and blowing a gale will rapidly become a PITA.

Says the guy with a garage Rolling Eyes
Beehive Bedlam This post is not being displayed because it has a low rating (Abusive). Unhide this post / all posts.

Hong Kong Phooey
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:26 - 13 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bodyguard wrote:
Before I got my garage my bike lived outside and I tried a cover for which lasted all of a month before getting screwed up in a ball and dumped in the recycle bin.

Hark at you with your recycling, you'll be posting photo's of you riding in sandals next.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:18 - 13 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bodyguard wrote:
Who are you rolling your eyes around your head at? Cock sucker. I've been on both sides of the fence.

Before I got my garage my bike lived outside and I tried a cover for which lasted all of a month before getting screwed up in a ball and dumped in the recycle bin.

I think most people can deal with taking a cover on/off without going into an autist rage, but those are the kind of people who also care about their bikes and its resale value.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 106 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2