Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

The uselessness of power settings

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

TheBikerStig
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 05:18 - 13 Dec 2017    Post subject: The uselessness of power settings Reply with quote

I just purchase a brand new Verys 1000. I could have just bought something shitty, but thats not my way. My logic is that I hate motoring, so I will minimise my torture by buying something tidy. Its still torture tho....

Anyway I my point is power!! This is controlled by something commonly known as a "throttle". 2 nights ago, as of typing this I had to ride my bike home from work. Side streets were icy as hell. (ironic analogy) Streets were brighter than my new paintwork but I was still in "full power mode". What I done while riding my new bike on icy streets was turn the throttle a very small amount. Combine this with use of the clutch and you can comfortably ride 5 mph all day (about 5 minutes actually, and then you wish you was dead or something).

Anyway what do power settings actually do? I asked the salesman this before I even bought my bike. He said you can get a few extra MPG from using a lower power mode. NO YOU CANT. At least not without felching.
Some say that he is the sole survivor of Atlantis, and that he refused to speed test a new Hayabusa this morning simply because there was no milk for his Brexit. All we know is hes called TheBikerStig.

redeem ouzzer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:55 - 13 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don’t post again. It’s like reading something from teffers only with slightly better spelling.

TheBikerStig
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 07:57 - 13 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

GT200Fan79 wrote:
Don’t post again. It’s like reading something from teffers only with slightly better spelling.

To contradict your advice, I will listen to it.
Some say that he is the sole survivor of Atlantis, and that he refused to speed test a new Hayabusa this morning simply because there was no milk for his Brexit. All we know is hes called TheBikerStig.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 08:44 - 13 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Versys is one of the bikes with a Spy Chip "Black Box" in it. By putting it to full power from new you've doubtless voided your warranty. That's owner abuse, that is, not covered. HTH, HAND.

doggone
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:14 - 13 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would imagine it's supposed to change the peak torque rpm, like having remapping presets.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 09:56 - 13 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

doggone wrote:
I would imagine it's supposed to change the peak torque rpm

Gearing thread.

Until we have electronomical poppet valves, all that a Power Fiddler can do is to change the fuel mix and (if fully ride by wire) the throttle opening. I'm not sure how that would change where the engine make peak torque, unless it deliberately misfuels at the revs where it would otherwise do so with ideal fuelling.

Hong Kong Phooey
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:05 - 13 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

There'll also be an element of timing retard.

Just to be clear, retard in that context was not an insult, retard.

kgm
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:24 - 13 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

The usefulness depends on the bike. On the Tracer the difference is significant. A mode is nasty with a pillion, despite how careful you are with the throttle it is very abrupt even with slight changes. I expect it would also be trickier in the wet. B mode is much smoother by comparison,, standard is also fine. A mode is awesome solo though.

A and standard are full power, b slightly reduced but it's mainly down to throttle response.

Turn the traction control off and then see if you notice a difference. You may not, some bikes are different to others.

Last edited by kgm on 10:58 - 13 Dec 2017; edited 1 time in total

Monkeypony
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:36 - 13 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have 3 'engine modes' on the Aprilia, all 3 give full power, they just change the throttle response and engine breaking.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:59 - 13 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Monkeypony wrote:
I have 3 'engine modes' on the Aprilia, all 3 give full power, they just change the throttle response and engine breaking.

How can you change the engine braking?

Monkeypony
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:22 - 13 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:

Apparently, the maps give a varying level of positive torque with the throttle shut.

Or witchcraft.

owl
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:14 - 13 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Monkeypony wrote:
Polarbear wrote:

Apparently, the maps give a varying level of positive torque with the throttle shut.

Or witchcraft.

https://i.imgur.com/iZcUNxH.gifv

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:57 - 13 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

kgm wrote:
The usefulness depends on the bike.

I reckon that's probably the best answer, perhaps coupled with the experience of the rider.

My carburetted Fazer is smooth at all revs, in all gears. If I want an even more controlled, or less abrupt, power delivery, I select a higher gear, since it will continue to pull smoothly down to about 2k rpm in top. Therefore, this bike doesn't need power settings. It is, however, limited to a little less than 140rwhp, so its lack of outright power probably helps too.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

chris-red
Have you considered a TDM?

PostPosted: 13:21 - 13 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

OP thinks Alanis Morrisette's Song 'Ironic' Actually is.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 13:35 - 13 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a mate with a Tuono V4. Three guys from my club have ridden it. All of them pretty competant club racers.

Apparently the power settings are all that stands between riding an insanely fast motorcycle while barely in control and instadeath by 100mphverticalwheelyburnout. All three of them turned it onto track mode (everything off, full power on demand), rode it about a mile then stopped and turned it all back on again.

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:42 - 13 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
Monkeypony wrote:

No, he said engine 'breaking'. Reduced likelihood under low power mode Thumbs Up

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:44 - 13 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Freddyfruitbat wrote:
Polarbear wrote:

No, he said engine 'breaking'. Reduced likelihood under low power mode Thumbs Up

Ah, true. It is an Aprilia Wink

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 13:50 - 13 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
I have a mate with a Tuono V4. Three guys from my club have ridden it. All of them pretty competant club racers.

Apparently the power settings are all that stands between riding an insanely fast motorcycle while barely in control and instadeath by 100mphverticalwheelyburnout. All three of them turned it onto track mode (everything off, full power on demand), rode it about a mile then stopped and turned it all back on again.

I have a soft spot for those. I feel like it'd be a bit too much for the road though.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Monkeypony
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:58 - 13 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:
I have a soft spot for those. I feel like it'd be a bit too much for the road though.

They are way, way too much for the road. Just like every other modern litre superbike/super naked.

Fun though Laughing

Mine stays in track mode, but anti wheelie and traction control are a must for the avoidance of death.

secretagentmo...
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 14:10 - 13 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Monkeypony wrote:

Polarbear wrote:

It is an Aprilia, engine breaking is the correct term....

chris-red

PostPosted: 14:40 - 13 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
Monkeypony wrote:

Adding fuel/air on Decelaration.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 14:47 - 13 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

chris-red wrote:

Don't they also have variable valve timing?

chris-red

PostPosted: 15:00 - 13 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
chris-red wrote:

Don't they also have variable valve timing?

Maybe, I've only heard of tweaking the map to add air/fuel on Decel.

A quick check on the Aprilia website doesn't show the Tuona having VVT.

https://www.aprilia.com/en_EN/technology/aprc/

(scroll to the bottom for CAD image of engine .)

Jayy
Mr. Ponzi

PostPosted: 15:03 - 13 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had a big bang R1 with a couple different modes.... didn't appear to really do anything.

1299 definitely had the fanciest shit I ever seen with the electronics package on it and you could tell the lesser modes dulled the throttle and ramped all the aides up.

RSV4 RF... don't feel much difference between the modes. The modes are so confusing that even on the forums they argue which ones do which.

I got caught in torrential rain on it, put it in "R" mode which I thought was rain mode and cained it all the way home (about 25 miles). Told my mate about it who also has one and he said that's race mode... placebo?

I turn most of it all off anyway, ride with the APRC off, anti wheelie off, only one I really run on lower settings is traction control.

Monkeypony
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:14 - 13 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jayy wrote:
I got caught in torrential rain on it, put it in "R" mode which I thought was rain mode and cained it all the way home (about 25 miles). Told my mate about it who also has one and he said that's race mode... placebo?

R mode on the older (pre 2014 I think, maybe wrong on that) RSV4s was "rain" Which did give you a reduced power map.

Then, just to keep things fun, they changed R mode to "race" which certainly doesn't reduce the power Laughing
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 106 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2