The uselessness of power settings

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic : View next topic  

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 15:54 - 13 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

chris-red wrote:
OP thinks Alanis Morrisette's Song 'Ironic' Actually is.

How would you describe the fact that a song about irony doesn't contain examples of irony?

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:44 - 13 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Power Modes adjust the engine fuel settings and ABS (dynamic braking) if included.
I use three modes on my S10000RR Rain, sport and race. All three are very distinguishable.
Rain limits peak power and the abs is 100% active.
sport alows more power and the abs reacts later. Wheels can be locked up almost.
Race 100% power and less abs.
Slick is a mode that requires a chip to be plugged in under the seat that cuts the abs out but only useful on a track with slicks.
Race mode is much more than enough for public roads.
My K1300 has three modes. Mostly it acts on the suspension.
Most noticeable is normal and comfort. Sport not so noticeable.

yen_powell
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:53 - 13 Dec 2017    Post subject: Re: The uselessness of power settings Reply with quote

TheBikerStig wrote:
I just purchase a brand new Verys 1000. I could have just bought something shitty, but thats not my way. My logic is that I hate motoring, so I will minimise my torture by buying something tidy. Its still torture tho....

Anyway I my point is power!! This is controlled by something commonly known as a "throttle". 2 nights ago, as of typing this I had to ride my bike home from work. Side streets were icy as hell. (ironic analogy) Streets were brighter than my new paintwork but I was still in "full power mode". What I done while riding my new bike on icy streets was turn the throttle a very small amount. Combine this with use of the clutch and you can comfortably ride 5 mph all day (about 5 minutes actually, and then you wish you was dead or something).

Anyway what do power settings actually do? I asked the salesman this before I even bought my bike. He said you can get a few extra MPG from using a lower power mode. NO YOU CANT. At least not without felching.
Many many miles of riding my Versys has shown me that knocking the power into the lower of the two settings makes it so much nicer when filtering down miles of traffic or when riding very tight twisty roads. I flick between the two on my ride to work which seems to either be flat out motorway speeds or forcing my way between a sea of car mirrors.

Jayy
Mr. Ponzi

PostPosted: 17:41 - 14 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Monkeypony wrote:
Jayy wrote:
I got caught in torrential rain on it, put it in "R" mode which I thought was rain mode and cained it all the way home (about 25 miles). Told my mate about it who also has one and he said that's race mode... placebo?

R mode on the older (pre 2014 I think, maybe wrong on that) RSV4s was "rain" Which did give you a reduced power map.

Then, just to keep things fun, they changed R mode to "race" which certainly doesn't reduce the power Laughing

Oh it's definitely not rain mode Laughing

I ride in T mode mostly, have the same bike as you. Will 99% more than likely get the V4 Panigale next.

craigT19
Jolly Green Giant

PostPosted: 16:06 - 15 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Modes can change drastically depending on the manufacturer and the bike.

On my MT-10 for example the "DMode" is little more than a glorified adjustable quick action throttle.
The modes have very little impact on power and torque, or any system other than YCCT.

https://i.imgur.com/CZY2NjH.jpg

Std mode - The "soft mode" 100% at the grip is 98% results in 98% opening of the throttle bodies.

A Mode - 75% at the grip results in 98% opening of the throttle bodies

B Mode - the "fastest mode Rolling Eyes "You guessed it 50% at the grip 98% at the throttle bodies.

Abs and traction control are completely unaffected by any of the modes. The softest of the traction control setting does use data from the APS and ABS sensors to create a kinda poor mans anti-wheelie mode (no gyros).

I cant comment on rain modes advertised with other brands as I haven't used them but the standard Yamaha mode (sometimes called rain mode) just makes the engines rpm easier to control. Personally I have no problems doing anything in one of the "faster modes" but B mode can be abit of a handful at low speed.
I suppose if your a little bit ham fisted or just a little bit worried the physiological effect of switching down a mode is a nice placebo irrespective of any actual changes on the bike.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

biker7
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 01:12 - 16 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Busa has 3 power modes: A is savage. B is a little less savage. C is like a 'normalish' motorcycle on full power! But none of this means much because like any bike you get used to its power and ride accordingly. I ride exclusively on A. It does not seem particularly powerful because I have settled into appropriate throttle and brake action after riding Hayabusas for a while now. Were I to shift modes to suit riding conditions rather than wrist/hand action, my bike would become too inconsistent for my liking. Most Busa owners have a similar outlook I believe. Learn your bike's max power and then you be in charge of it. Vary the power and the bike takes over imo. For the same reason I'm not a great fan of traction control. Was that me doing an ace bit of cornering or am I deluding myself letting the 'programmed expert' do it's tricks? Just a personal thought. If you like your bike's brain to keep you safe, no problem. Back to power modes.....my brain has 3:

1. Full on
2. Hold back a bit
3. Stay at home!

Similarly when I jump on my 250, it does not feel underpowered - I ride in a totally different manner, winding up the revs and enjoying wringing a bike's neck.
Both my bikes have ABS. It kicks in if I get a bit forgetful. I curse a bit, having not planned properly. 'But what about the other fella trying to take you out?', I hear you say. Probably you are right. But I still like to be in control. It's a bit like wearing all the protective gear in case you come off. Fact is, if you wear Kevlars etc you probably take less chances - or as a mate of mine says, 'just don't come off!' So when you next whack it into mode C and ride like a tool, maybe you have got the experience to leave it in A. Food for thought!

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:42 - 18 Dec 2017    Post subject: Re: The uselessness of power settings Reply with quote

TheBikerStig wrote:
. Side streets were icy as hell. (ironic analogy)

According to Dante's Divine Comedy, the 9th layer circle of hell is a frozen lake. ..
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Howling Terror
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:07 - 18 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

My bike has 2 power settings.
Rain
Sport.

Both full power.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Bozzy.
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 22:08 - 18 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Monkeypony wrote:
Jayy wrote:
I got caught in torrential rain on it, put it in "R" mode which I thought was rain mode and cained it all the way home (about 25 miles). Told my mate about it who also has one and he said that's race mode... placebo?

R mode on the older (pre 2014 I think, maybe wrong on that) RSV4s was "rain" Which did give you a reduced power map.

Then, just to keep things fun, they changed R mode to "race" which certainly doesn't reduce the power Laughing

Them crazy Italians!

I quite fancy a Tuono next. Don’t know why, I think the Street Triple is too fast for the road!

Fisty
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:13 - 18 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:

How would you describe the fact that a song about irony doesn't contain examples of irony?

Nasal.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

JAMSXR
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:23 - 18 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:
I have a soft spot for those. I feel like it'd be a bit too much for the road though.

I found my Tuono V4 and absolutely puppy when it came to road manners, my biggest gripe was the slight throttle snatch in 1st around town - but that’s not what it’s built for. Personally I don’t think it’s anyway overpowered for the road, the 1100 V4 is a peach that rips from bottom to top in such a slick linear fashion, happy on most roads the UK has to throw at it.

They did completely change the power moad lettering in 2015 to confuse owners. They went from Road, Sport and Track to Sport, Track and Race
Honda SFX50 > Aprilia SR125 > Aprilia RS125 > Honda RFV400 > K4 GSXR600 > KTM Duke > C1H 636 > K3 GSXR1000 > Aprilia RSV-R > Triumph Street Triple R > Ducati 899 Panigale > Aprilia Tuono 1100 > Triumph Daytona 675R > KTM SuperDuke 1290 2.0

owl
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:39 - 19 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

JAMSXR wrote:
MarJay wrote:
I have a soft spot for those. I feel like it'd be a bit too much for the road though.

I found my Tuono V4 and absolutely puppy when it came to road manners, my biggest gripe was the slight throttle snatch in 1st around town - but that’s not what it’s built for. Personally I don’t think it’s anyway overpowered for the road, the 1100 V4 is a peach that rips from bottom to top in such a slick linear fashion, happy on most roads the UK has to throw at it.

They did completely change the power moad lettering in 2015 to confuse owners. They went from Road, Sport and Track to Sport, Track and Race

now the serious question, do you prefer the duke over the tuono?

JAMSXR
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:06 - 19 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Both great bikes. For me the SuperDuke is the better road bike and the Tuono better on track. I do 2-3 track days per year and around 6k miles of weekend blasts and touring.

The torque, comfort and extra travel win the road battle in favor of the Duke, and the aggressive nature coupled with the V4 make the Tuono a winner on track.

For me the SuperDuke represents what a street bike should be, grunt from bottom to top, capable of big miles and stupidly fun. The V4 was a little to “sportsbike with bars”, but I’m still an Aprillia fan boy and will own another at some point.
Honda SFX50 > Aprilia SR125 > Aprilia RS125 > Honda RFV400 > K4 GSXR600 > KTM Duke > C1H 636 > K3 GSXR1000 > Aprilia RSV-R > Triumph Street Triple R > Ducati 899 Panigale > Aprilia Tuono 1100 > Triumph Daytona 675R > KTM SuperDuke 1290 2.0

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:09 - 19 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm willing to accept we live in a sad fucking pansy play it safe nanny world of multiple maps now, but only if the multiple maps are for:

1, different fuel types/quality. I.e 95/98 RON or E85, or LPG etc.

2, secondary maps are for economy (performance machinery is expensive to run today)

3, Emissions. You can't map anything for maximum performance and best cleanest possible emissions at the same time. Its also even today total bollocks that ICE engines are not restricted or limited by having to run a clean tailpipe and be catalysed to hell.

I don't agree with TCS or rain/snow maps etc. But there is some argument for having a limited performance map for lending the vehicle to a young or inexperienced user or one you don't trust fully.

Its the same as all these fools that like complex EBC's on tuned petrol engines. The right hand or foot is the best boost controller out there, and turbocharged engines are not supposed to be smooth and have an artificially wide usable rev range. They are nothing-everything-nothing engines and trying to tame them with electronics is missing the point.

My modernist views extend to Nasp race tuned engines with high power/litre. They are not supposed to sit in traffic idling smoothly as your grans Singer sowing machine at 1000rpm. I expect farting, coughing, hunting and backfires, not the sound of a Honda civic driving to the supermarket.

Less is more with electronics and control strategy's IMO.

JAMSXR
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:00 - 20 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevo as b4 wrote:

Less is more with electronics and control strategy's IMO.

I agree to some extent, but I also think certain levels of electronics are designed to be used by riders at the top end of the scale (not me). With the latest generation of traction control, the most skilled riders are using it to essentially tune mid-corner wheel spin, and things like throttle response can be useful for us average riders to tune the bike depending our riding style. My bike has a mode that disables ABS for the rear wheel only, this definitely adds to the experience.

I also appreciate this thread it to do with power modes, and I’ve never felt the need to change the power of any of my bikes, light weight ripper or 170+ bhp monster.

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 01:19 - 20 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spacker has three throttle modes.

Bender mode

STD or Sexually transmitted disease mode.

and

Aaaaaarrrrrrrggggggh mode

I don't have traction control at all and my ABS 'keeps blowing fuses officer'.

The three throttle modes are VERY different. I usually ride in STD mode as it's the default setting, but I do change to B
mode if I have a pilion. It's a wheelie happy old heap at the best of times, so I like to keep my passengers this side of
paralysed by fear by keeping it on B mode.

kgm
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:08 - 20 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

grr666 wrote:
Spacker has three throttle modes.

Bender mode

STD or Sexually transmitted disease mode.

and

Aaaaaarrrrrrrggggggh mode

I don't have traction control at all and my ABS 'keeps blowing fuses officer'.

The three throttle modes are VERY different. I usually ride in STD mode as it's the default setting, but I do change to B
mode if I have a pilion. It's a wheelie happy old heap at the best of times, so I like to keep my passengers this side of
paralysed by fear by keeping it on B mode.

That was pretty much my experience on the Tracer. Very noticeable difference between the modes. A mode is great fun but even with careful throttle control it makes for a dent in the back of your helmet with a pillion. Very snatchy and hard work when not riding like a lunatic.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 121 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2