Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Finally, My first big bike.

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

kaz32
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 11:39 - 13 Dec 2017    Post subject: Finally, My first big bike. Reply with quote

Hello!

So for some of you that may know I have been looking at a XJ600 Diversion S 1999 model.

Test rode it the other week and picked it up on Saturday last week!

Am buzzing that I don't need L plates on it and I went on the motorway which was sweet! Mainly because I had only been on a CBT for 9 years lol!

The bike feels good the only thing I will say is that when I pinned it on the motorway it didn't give me much of a tingle, not that I was expecting it to be wild or anything but a think a few folk thought because I was stepping up from a 125 I'd be blown away however in comparison to the mt-07 I trained on it wasn't in the same league which I expected however I thought I would enjoy it more than I did, that said I'm not complaining as its a huge step up from my old 125 and I love the bike as well as the fact its all mine.

Anyways thanks for reading,

Pics will be uploaded soon when I can some decent ones!

Thanks,

Kaz.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Whosthedaddy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:58 - 13 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats

I don't believe the xj600 will ever set your pubes on fire, it's an all round bike as opposed to an out and out speed machine.

My 2011 XJ was very much mediocre compared to the gsxr600 that it replaced.

owl
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:04 - 13 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

well done, you're now entitled to one pair of big boy pants

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 15:53 - 13 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

A twin's going to give you more of an immediate shove, but the XJ should get up to more or less the same speed. You'll want to knock it down a gear or two in order to get to the raw powah.

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 17:42 - 13 Dec 2017    Post subject: Re: Finally, My first big bike. Reply with quote

kaz32 wrote:
it didn't give me much of a tingle,

It's a straight four, two pistons going up, two coming down , one on each of the four 'strokes' of the otto-cycle. So whilst one pot is sucking another squashing, one's blowing & one's always banging. Makes for a very smooth relatively vibration free engine. Twins and singles tend to be a lot more 'lumpy'.

Why I suspect so many lady rider's seem to like ill-balanced Harleys, with two enormous, heavy pistons, going up and down on a common crank journal, separated by a 45degree V-Angle, that shake like a badly over-loaded washing-machine on full spin.... Wink

kaz32 wrote:
on the motorway

Motorways dull the senses anyway. They are big and wide and relatively straight; on-coming traffic separated by a median divider, and everything else all traveling at a similar speed. They don't tend to offer a very big 'sensation' of the speed you are actually traveling.

On one at night, doing seriously illegal speeds, no other traffic about, everything beyond the pool of the head-lamp or tunnel of street-lights concealed by the gloom, it's almost like sitting on you safa at home watching the test card, there's so little around you 'happening' at any speed

kaz32 wrote:
in comparison to the mt-07 I trained on it wasn't in the same league

MT07 claims 75bhp and 160Kg, and has no wind deflecting faring. It's usually applauded for offering a fairly dynamic and engaging riding sensation, it's often punted as a more 'exiting' sporty commuter.

Divvy 6 'S'.. I believe should have a frame mounted 'half' fairing, which can do an awful lot to deflect wind buffet and damp 'in your face' riding sensation. Specs also claim only 60bhp, and around 200Kg weight. Specs alone suggest that it has somewhat less to offer in ultimate performance.

Then it's design ancestry goes back to the XJ550 released around 1981, and subsequently bored out and de-tuned to meet emission regs and offered as the Divvy, over a decade later, as a much 'softened' and cost-cut budget all-rounder, come small tourer.

The different riding sensation is to be expected. The divvy is a heavier, less powerful, 'old' matron, in comparison, 'comfy' rather than 'spritely'.

kaz32 wrote:
I love the bike as well as the fact its all mine.

That's the main thing.

And as you dial expectations in with what the bike has to offer, and perhaps learn to exploit its capabilities a bit, it will likely only get better... though there is the risk of rapidly concluding it's 'boring' reputation is totally deserved, and wanting something more inherently dynamic to step up to early on if your expectations and confidence grow quicker than your competence, as so many do...

It's a bludy good bike in it's way, they wouldn't have sold the bucket loads they did if there wasn't 'something' about it to love, you just have to discover and appreciate it.

BUT after breaking through the barrier of big-bike tests, and the relatively rapid pace of personal progression to get here... there WILL be the vacuum of 'whats next?'.. as that personal-development plateaus out...

It's winter, and there's snow on the ground, so, take it easy. Enjoy the 'soft' this bike has to offer, and appreciate that small-planet mass it has for gravity to help keep 'planted' on terra-firmer, whilst its more terra and less firma!

Keep it rubber side down and enjoy.... and just don't try look for thrills on the motorway!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:45 - 13 Dec 2017    Post subject: Re: Finally, My first big bike. Reply with quote

kaz32 wrote:
The bike feels good the only thing I will say is that when I pinned it on the motorway it didn't give me much of a tingle, not that I was expecting it to be wild or anything but a think a few folk thought because I was stepping up from a 125 I'd be blown away however in comparison to the mt-07 I trained on it wasn't in the same league which I expected however I thought I would enjoy it more than I did, that said I'm not complaining as its a huge step up from my old 125 and I love the bike as well as the fact its all mine.

IL4 = Sleeping

*runs*

AshWebster
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 18:14 - 13 Dec 2017    Post subject: Re: Finally, My first big bike. Reply with quote

M.C wrote:

IL4 = Sleeping

*runs*

dude tell anyone that rides a 600rr that IL4 are boring round the lanes.... they'll laugh in your face. as will I Very Happy

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:35 - 13 Dec 2017    Post subject: Re: Finally, My first big bike. Reply with quote

AshWebster wrote:
M.C wrote:

IL4 = Sleeping

*runs*

dude tell anyone that rides a 600rr that IL4 are boring round the lanes.... they'll laugh in your face. as will I Very Happy

But once you're ridden most of the "fast" IL4's, it's just an IL4, the engine characteristics are boring, you get into power around 7K depending on the motor, and theyre largely gutless below that.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:03 - 13 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have one of the popular post test bikes.

Ride it for a year, get bored with it but as long as you look after it you aren't going to lose much/any money Thumbs Up

kaz32
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 20:15 - 13 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks very much for all the replies, and definitely the logic behind buying this bike was mostly to do with something that would help me build some experience on a ‘big’ bike and and also the amount of money I paid for it even after a year I think I could make a profit if not that then at least break even plus get that first years insurance out the way, with no spills hopefully.

Happy riding folks!

Kaz
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Wonko The Sane
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:48 - 13 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

A friend of mine had one as his only transport, had it for years and it did everything he asked of it to work, holiday, shopping, you name it it was used for it.

one weak point that gets picked up on is the exhausts rot easily so might be worth looking at getting a 'fender extender' fitted to try and prevent as much wet spray hitting them.

Look after it, use it, enjoy it and, in a couple of years you might change it for something else, your might get something less practical for the weekend, who knows Very Happy

Kentol750
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:14 - 13 Dec 2017    Post subject: A good first bike. Reply with quote

A relatively comfortable il4 and enough power to start with. I had a 1991 gsx600f as my first 'big' bike. Came from a 250 2 stroke enduro. As rogerborg says, go down gears to get grunt. When you get bored, you'll know what you want next. More power and smoothness or less cylinders and grunt. Only time and riding will tell.

redeem ouzzer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:32 - 13 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ssshhh.... you'll wake G up and he'll tell us all about how twins and triples aren't more flexible than an IL4, just lower geared.

But he's right.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 09:13 - 14 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

InB4 R1-in-1st-gear thread.

kaz32
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 11:19 - 14 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah it was a bit more perky in the lower gears, sounds not to bad being completely stock. All this chat aside it's 18 years old so I do respect the machine for how it goes and what it does today!

Gives me some thinking time to decide what I want my next bike to be Smile

il4's and twins a can't see I know the real difference, will definitely be test riding a couple of bikes to see what I prefer!

Kaz.

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:04 - 14 Dec 2017    Post subject: Re: Finally, My first big bike. Reply with quote

kaz32 wrote:
when I pinned it on the motorway it didn't give me much of a tingle

If you drive, think of those roads where you can just about maintain a constant 60mph through most of the corners - then try and do the same on the bike. That can be a good starting point for erm "tingles". Maybe don't do it in the dead of winter though.

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125

Jayy
Mr. Ponzi

PostPosted: 22:59 - 14 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahh that feeling from going on a 125 3 days prior then opening up a ZX6R for the first time Laughing

Was a bit like taking MDMA for the first time but not quite as euphoric.

kaz32
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 19:30 - 16 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here she is, bit dirty because of all the salt on the roads, washed her after the wee ride today, more pics up soon.

Kaz

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 11:15 - 17 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's in better nick than my 2012 BMW. Thumbs Up

sidewinder
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:38 - 29 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had my divvy for a good couple of years it never let me down once.in fact I still see it riding through town with its new owner...2nd gear up to 7500 and it'll be a total different bike.yuo need to rev them hard to get them to go...

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 00:12 - 30 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mmm dem sweaty filth ridden gloves wedged in a helmet that you stick on your head... just put on the even filthier floor Laughing

Nice bike though mate, basic but still a great first big bike.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 91 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1