Fell off my bike on CBT

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic : View next topic  

Jamieking86
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 21:12 - 17 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
I apologise for Tef. The local training school let him make the tea one day and... well, you know how security guards get to believing that they own the building.

It's not a bad idea to get a 125, plenty of us did it. I rode around on one quite happily for a year, even did a bit of touring on it (aborted due to the "upgrades" I'd done Embarassed).

Your problem is that there's no longer a route to a full license other than by riding a big bike. The smallest training bike you're likely to come across will be something like an ER6 or Suzuki Gladius / (new) SV650. You're going to have to find a way to get on with that sooner or later.

You can pick up good habits on a 125, but also bad ones too: a belief that you can never accelerate your way out of trouble, or that you can always stop on a bad camber without problems.

All that said, it's a viable route to get your confidence up. You can even go ahead and do the module 1 test on your own 125. It won't get you closer to a full license, but at £15.50 it's a cheap way to practice the mod 1 and get any test nerves out of the way. You could even go on and do mod 2 as well, but that costs a bit more. Still cheaper than a day of Big Bike training though, so it's not a crazy option as a way to prepare for a full A test if you're not confident.

Well I was thinking of getting the 125 for a few months, get my confidence up and get more used to riding and feel of bikes etc. I've read if you can ride a 125 comfortable then you can ride a bigger bike comfortable as their much easier to ride? The training school I'm with will provide the bigger bike. I'll probably have a few lessons on it, get used to it obviously befote mod 1 and 2 etc. Can I do my mod 1 on a 125, then mod 2 on a bigger bike to get my full licence? I'm guessing not but not too sure on the rules.

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:25 - 17 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bigger bikes are indeed much, much easier to ride.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:27 - 17 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh and no, you have to do both parts of the A test on an A qualifying bike. You can practice on your 125 though, as Roger says. Pass it on that, then I don't expect you'll have any bother on a biggie.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:19 - 17 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't worry about it. You now know you can't grab brakes, so lesson learned, squeeze them next time.

My first CBT (1995) I locked the front up, downhill in the rain. I saved it, but I have zero idea to this day how I kept it upright. Had another ride the next day, got the cert, passed the test a week later (No theory etc back then).

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:49 - 18 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_Pagin wrote:
Since nobody else appears to have asked, can OP ride a bicycle?

M.C wrote:
You've learnt your lesson, don't grab at the front brake Smile If it turns into a real bad habit maybe use two fingers or get a bike with ABS. Can you ride a bicycle? Steering shouldn't really be an issue, although it's harder in a confined area at lower speeds. I was a bit shit on my CBT in the yard, then found it a lot easier out on the road (the other guy was the same).

The odd thing about bikes is if you're nervous they'll react nervously, and it's downhill from there. You have to be confident with your inputs, not cocky confident.

Folded arms

arry wrote:
Bigger bikes are indeed much, much easier to ride.

Not really sure what people mean when they say this. Is it that they're more stable? Because that's true, except for low speeds where depending on the bike they can be very unstable (due to the weight).

If you don't have good clutch control, which you won't if you don't have big bike experience, riding a big bike can be a lot harder and more dangerous than a 125.

But then you don't have to shift as much, so they're more 'rideable'. Basically it's a mixed bag Smile I wouldn't push someone who can't ride towards a big bike with the expectation it'll be easier for them. In fact I'll push people who are a bit shit (as I was*) to get some experience on a 125 first.

*probably still am Razz

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 10:12 - 18 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jamieking86 wrote:
I've read if you can ride a 125 comfortable then you can ride a bigger bike comfortable as their much easier to ride?

Yup. With the caveat that if you spack it up by (for example) front-braking on a corner, they are harder to hold up. In every other way though, easier. More stable, generally better tyres, suspension and brakes, easy to ride smoothly, more visible, able to accelerate out of trouble or get into clear areas of road.

Small bikes can be fun (I ride a 250 and a low powered 500 for larks), but when it comes on to blow and rain, I go for my big ABS bike every time.

Jamieking86 wrote:
The training school I'm with will provide the bigger bike. I'll probably have a few lessons on it, get used to it obviously befote mod 1 and 2 etc. Can I do my mod 1 on a 125, then mod 2 on a bigger bike to get my full licence? I'm guessing not but not too sure on the rules.

As arry said, no, both parts need to be done on the same size of bike. Well, that's the principle. In practice you could try and blag a mod 1 pass on a 125 and then turn up on a big bike for mod 2, but you're off reservation there.

The idea about doing mod 1 on your 125 is just to practice it. It's not a hard test, but nerves can get you, so it's worth having a cheap go on your own first before paying a training school. Even if you fail it, you'll have done it under test conditions and will know what to expect.

Buying a 125 is a reasonable option, just don't expect to see any money back from the insurance, or to be able to switch it to a bigger bike when you pass - some/many of the cheapest 125 underwriters won't let you switch the policy. They're not going to make that clear up front though.

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:51 - 18 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:

Not really sure what people mean when they say this. Is it that they're more stable? Because that's true, except for low speeds where depending on the bike they can be very unstable (due to the weight).

If you don't have good clutch control, which you won't if you don't have big bike experience, riding a big bike can be a lot harder and more dangerous than a 125.

But then you don't have to shift as much, so they're more 'rideable'. Basically it's a mixed bag Smile I wouldn't push someone who can't ride towards a big bike with the expectation it'll be easier for them. In fact I'll push people who are a bit shit (as I was*) to get some experience on a 125 first.

*probably still am Razz

Bigger bikes have generally better everything and although weight is definitely a consideration, I have always found low speed riding a hell of a lot easier on my bigger bikes compared to any of the smaller ones I've had / ridden.

I could hold my big Triumph upright and stable without wobbles at a few MPH walking pace without revving its nuts off, just dragging the rear brake. Doing that on the old YBR I would take every other day on the commute it'd be wobbling around all over the place, the revs would be twice as high at least and the clutch would be overheating / getting grabbier by the second.

I've never felt more comfortable sitting on a tiddler than compared to a hefty, throbbing biggun.

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 21:49 - 18 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

This 'suggestion' that big-bikes are 'easier' to ride is a HUGELY over-reported generality!

With most larger learner bikes 'strategically' usually being big-softies, 500-650 commuter-twins, that are 'in general' easier to ride.with more mass and a more power, but also more flexible power delivery, it's a self perpetuating perception... BUT

I learned 'gears' (when I was about 13) on a Suzuki SP370 dirt bike.. specs suggest that at about 125Kg it's probably no heavier than most 125's... and a lumpy as feck big-single... the XT500 that replaced it, at 140Kg, still wan't much heavier than a 125, but even bigger, lumpier big-single, and an ill-balanced 'beast' that preferred to hide the fact it's front wheel was only notionally related to what direction it went by keeping it in the air most of the time! These were in no way 'easier' to ride than a little two-smoke Yamaha TY125, I spent most time aboard in that era!

In the meanwhile I had a air-cooled RD250, that 'only' weighs 150Kg, with a motor that was rather gutless under 6K revs, then went mental, whilst a russian-roulette front disc brake, added to the 'interest'! Move up to the 'big-bikes' of that era.. oft called 'leg-breakers'; monster mass often did a lot to make them slightly less flighty, but rubber frames and cast iron tyres, usually compensated for that!

In comparison, MODERN bikes, as another generality, tend to be a lot easier to ride, and certainly a heck of a lot more predictable, but with some 600 'super-sports' as light and flighty as some 125's, most motors with near 'elastic' power delivery, and frames and suspension and tyres that all just 'work'... how 'easy' a bike is to ride, is very much in the nature of that bike, NOT its displacement, as it always was.

Usually lighter, less powerful 125's four-strokes do tend, 'in general' to be a lot less 'forgiving' to ride; without the mass to damp wobbles, with a usually shorter wheel-base, and no broad flexible power-delivery... where larger 'learner' bikes will tend to be more forgiving, more tolerant of 'some' numptiness, and 'flatter' a less refined riders lack of smoothness and co-ordination......

Light-weights then do make good training tools. They aren't 'so' inclined to run away with you or let you accelerate so fast into trouble; riders tend to have more mechanical advantage over their lesser mass, to 'bully' them into line if needs be, and demanding the 'control finesse' they CAN help 'instill' that sort of primary rider discipline and precision, bigger, heavier, more flexible, more tolerant bikes, often 'masking' rider clumsiness often don't.

I you can launch a C50 'smoothly' you can probably launch any bike 'smoothly'... if you can launch an ER6 'smoothly.. whether you can get a Pan-Euro, or a GSXR600 off the line, let alone a a Laverda Jota, without lurch and wobbles, is much more open to question!

The 'displacement' of a motorcycle is no more than the size of hole in the engine where fire happens! It has little to NO relation even to how much power that engine may make, let alone how heavy the bike around it may or may not be, even less, the greater dynamic of how it 'handles' or how 'easy' it may or may not be to ride!

"Big Bikes are Easier to Ride!" Is a generality extrapolated to the point of near nonsense!!! It is far from a 'universal truth'.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Howling Terror
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:13 - 18 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get an early night.
Eat and drink.
Dress for the weather.
Drink...you will be concentrating=sweating.

Ride that bitch like you stole it. Thumbs Up
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:16 - 18 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teflon-Mike wrote:
but with some 600 'super-sports' as light and flighty as some 125's

You've ridden a few, Mike?

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 09:56 - 19 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teflon-Mike wrote:
MODERN bikes

WHICH ones have you "RIDDENE"?

The thing about generalisations is that they only need to be generally true in order to be useful.

SuperMike
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 20:16 - 19 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jamieking86 wrote:
I have been debating wether to buy the 125 or not. I have read other threads where people are debating the same thing. Thing is, I'm in no major rush to pass my test, I don't need a bike for work as I'm self employed and have a van, I just want to ride as they look so much fun and would make great weekends away.

I don't want to have an R3 (which is what I really want further down the line) as my first bike. Chances are I probably will drop it, I am only a little lad at 5 ft 3 on a good day, I struggled putting the 125 on the main stand on my CBT 🤣 hence why I was thinking of getting a 125 for a few months or so after my CBT, ride around on that, learn as much as I can then go for the DAS once I'm more comfortable riding bikes, once I'm passed, sell the 125 and get the R3. Would you guys recommend going straight for my das after my CBT?

I would concur with what has already been suggested. If you can do the DAS, do the DAS, especially as by your admission you are in no hurry and don't need to it to commute on etc straight away.

I rode a 125cc scooter for a couple of years and had a lifetime of pedal bike riding experience, so when my scooter got Cat C'd by a SMIDSY I took that as notice to get my full license sorted.

If I were doing it all again from day 1, I would have just done the 5 day DAS and got on with it. I got the scooter as it seemed like an easy thing to do - 1 day CBT and off you go, and it was, but you are so much more visibly on a big bike, and I feel infinitely safer than I ever did on the 125.

The other thing is that you don't have to drop or otherwise write off your new bike. Against some advice on here, I dropped 7k on a new CBR 650 as my first bike and insured it TPFT to save some bucks. 2.5 years on no drop, no accident, no problems. It really comes down to you and how much of a wanna be organ donor you are. I think being a bit older helped me as I have lost a bit of that need to beat the world, but I do give her some neck wringing still.

Nobody can tell you whether you will ride straight into a lamppost or not on a 125, 300, litre, whatever. It isn't a requirement of being a new rider that you end up in hospital!

VickRides
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 00:23 - 22 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man don`t sweat it !
I didn`t pass CBT on my first attempt, dropped big bike on DAS twice, failed Mod1 once, Failed Mod 2 once.

I was an absolute catastrophy, and sloowly managed to pass Mod2 too.

Honestly I was an utter disgrace, zero car driving, zero motorbike driving in traffic, zero push bike riding in traffic as well + never drove on opposite side of the road either (home country is normal roads lol).

I took standard das (5 day course) + 2 additional training days . Man if I did it, so can you trust me Smile)

All the best bud and don`t be discouraged Very Happy
AldridgePrior This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 89 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2