Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Help in choosing the pants

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

drimena
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 13:32 - 15 Dec 2017    Post subject: Help in choosing the pants Reply with quote

Hi guys, I'm in need of a pair of trousers and I've been given a fair deal for two of the IXS textile models, IXS Nandi and IXS Nairobi. Both models fullfil my needs in terms of features they have and I like the look but I'm mainly confused about the construction materials. Nandi is made of 500d AIRGUARD and 630d DYNAX while the Nairobi is made of 600D Polyoxford and 1000D AIRGUARD.

Does anyone know what's the main difference here and if one is much better quality than the other? I tried googling but didn't found any info on this.

I'm riding the FZ6 and the winter here is not that harsh, around 5c at coldest

Thanks in advance[/quote]

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:28 - 15 Dec 2017    Post subject: Re: Help in choosing the pants Reply with quote

drimena wrote:
Does anyone know what's the main difference here and if one is much better quality than the other?

Well, the "D" means "denier", which is a measure of the thickness of the thread used to make the fabric. Basically, the higher the denier, the thicker the thread, and the more abrasion resistance the fabric will have.

So 1000D Airguard will be stronger than 500D; but I doubt (but don't know) the numbers translate into 'twice' the abrasion resistance.

I doubt that 630D and 600D are greatly different; but without knowing anything about the different materials, who knows? Maybe Polyoxford is inherently tougher than Dynax despite the lower threadcount?

I also have no idea where these materials are used in the clothing; eg if one of them is used just in the lining then the significance of it's abrasion resistance will be minimal compared to the outer layer.

FYI I have two IXS textile jackets and trousers myself and certainly rate them (though I'm not looking to test their abrasion resistance any time soon). When I bought my second jacket (a summer one) I was in just the same position as you, and I agree it's a complete pain in the arse that they can't be clearer about all these bespoke materials and where they are actually used within the garments.

kramdra
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:41 - 25 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

The outer skin materials wont tell you much, look up reviews of the product. A decent review will measure water absorbsion, which is often not mentioned. Some textiles are good, some absorb buckets and never dry.

In most situations, leather is better.
Beehive Bedlam This post is not being displayed because it has a low rating (Boring). Unhide this post / all posts.

WULFSTAN
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:35 - 25 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bodyguard wrote:
kramdra wrote:

Leather is for arse bandits and weekend warriors.
I wear a leather bike jacket and do 10.000 miles plus a year in all weather. Recalculate your thinking.
Your backside is better enough for you to run again, if need be – bristle up the courage of the cornered rat, put on a bold front, and to hell with them. Bluff my boy – bluff, shift and lie for the sake of your neck and the honour of Old England
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 22:49 - 25 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just because bodyguard wears leather when out dogging at weekends doesn't mean that weekend casual gay sex is the only use for leathers.

potato-bum.jpg

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:07 - 25 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leather in anything 10c and over, better abrasion resistance. Just because bodytard has flashbacks from being forcibly bummed by thai rentboys when he see's it...

Hong Kong Phooey
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:22 - 26 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

kramdra wrote:
The outer skin materials wont tell you much, look up reviews of the product. A decent review will measure water absorbsion, which is often not mentioned. Some textiles are good, some absorb buckets and never dry.

Track use and hoonage yes, but I'd disagree for commuting.

I've just bought some goretex ixs pants for ~£150, water proof is essential for me after regularly arriving in work looking like I've pissed myself, as is whipping them off quick ready for action. Shocked

Tight leather pants are a faff over work clothes.

Didn't fancy wearing 3 pairs of pants (work, leather, waterproofs) and waterproof leather is also expensive so the versatility and ease of care of textiles is what won me over.

Dynax is a marketing term for abrasion resistant outer fabric, and airguard is the brand for the insulative layer.

Denier is the measure of thread density, but is just a number until you try them on.
Higher denier would be warmer and more abrasion resistant.

gbrand42
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 23:13 - 26 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThatDippyTwat wrote:
Just because bodytard has flashbacks from being forcibly bummed by thai rentboys when he see's it...

They are not flashbacks, they are in his wank-bank

kramdra
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 04:08 - 27 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Commuting is hoonage.

kawakid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:55 - 27 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I commute all year round and wear leathers.

F...ing hate textiles, makes me sweat and they smell.

I just layer up and put a raincoat and pants over in raining.

kramdra
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:09 - 28 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

kawakid wrote:
raincoat and pants over in raining.

No. Do not do this.

Layers correct. In this weather I have a thin jumper and thick hoodie. Last year I found jogging bottoms provide superior warmth under leathers but its not really needed and wont fit under my current pair.

The only item I am having issues with, major issues, are these shitting expensive, rubbish, richa goretex textile gloves. I had a numb but dry left hand today. Muffs and heated grips had no chance, the outher layer absorbs water and becomes freezing cold like hand in an ice bucket.

Do not buy textiles for winter or rain use unless you trust the person who is telling you they are good. Most are not.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 00:22 - 28 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

So errrr, who else doesn't wear pants?

Shifty

recman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:36 - 28 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pants are for arse bandits and, etc.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

sickpup
Old Timer

PostPosted: 15:12 - 28 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

kramdra wrote:
Layers correct. In this weather I have a thin jumper and thick hoodie. Last year I found jogging bottoms provide superior warmth under leathers but its not really needed and wont fit under my current pair.

I generally only wear a t-shirt under my jacket.

kramdra wrote:
The only item I am having issues with, major issues, are these shitting expensive, rubbish, richa goretex textile gloves. I had a numb but dry left hand today. Muffs and heated grips had no chance, the outher layer absorbs water and becomes freezing cold like hand in an ice bucket.

That sounds like you are wearing a summer type glove in winter, hardly the gloves fault.

kramdra wrote:
Do not buy textiles for winter or rain use unless you trust the person who is telling you they are good. Most are not.

As usual Kramda is wrong or at best making a maassive generalisation.
If you buy cheap textiles they are rubbish, no argument there. They really are crap and barely last a year without leaking around the shoulders and elbows.
If on the other hand you push the boat out and buy Goretex textiles especially the proshell stuff you will be warm and dry for several years. When it gets cold just add a heated jacket underneath. Even if the heated jacket stops working their thermal qualities are so good they will still keep you warm.

kawakid wrote:
I commute all year round and wear leathers.

I just layer up and put a raincoat and pants over in raining.

What textiles are you wearing, good quality Goretex or something else?

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 16:27 - 28 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

kawakid wrote:

My RST stuff is some of the nicest textiles I've ever had. Really well ventilated, can't speak for winter as I'm not going to ride in the wet... but summer, its proper cool.

krl
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 15:35 - 30 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

just a tip for beginners.
Whatever pants it is, but have these way longer than your usual pants. Otherwise there will be a nice cap between boots and pants.

Dave70
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:10 - 30 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought some Furygan textiles a while back and can't really fault them. They keep me dry and very warm when I have the thermal lining attached, which only went back in a couple of weeks ago.

The even came away totally unscathed when I had my little off the other week. Very Happy

2012: R125 killed by white van. 2016 R125 killed by 30,000 miles of redline. Current: 2016 Kawasaki ER6f.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 90 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1