Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Rider of the Youth didn't check his oil level

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

TheFlyingEngl...
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 17:28 - 15 Dec 2017    Post subject: Rider of the Youth didn't check his oil level Reply with quote

Right so I might be in quite a bit of trouble with the old L1 ZXR 400.

It's been the best bike I've ever bought mechanically, I've had it for a 2 months and I got it with 46k miles, I've now done up to 52k. As I've been ill and she has been sat for a week I haven't reminded myself to do any checks on the bike, in which I haven't even checked my oil level.

I rode 54 miles today, from speeds up to 60-110mph. With revs up to 16,000 (Raised rev limiter). The bike only went above half on the temperature gauge once and kept low due to high cold winds.

I had music on so I couldn't really hear anything until I was on the final 3 miles of my journey back home, and I heard a loud noise coming from the engine, so I went home and I got the good older brother to come out to check for me and all you could smell is the bike having no oil in it, so he poured 2.5 liters of oil into the engine, it only went halfway on the spyglass but there's no min-max level so I'll see if it needs more.

But I went for another ride to see if I might've saved it, it's lost no back-pressure, seems to run a lot nicer (Obviously) but there is loud ticking noise that is now coming from the engine, it gets faster when I rev up higher / going faster. So the question is; have I royally destroyed my pocketrocket?

craigT19
Jolly Green Giant

PostPosted: 17:52 - 15 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Honestly probably done a fair bit of damage but destroyed may be abit harsh as usually in that situation they just dont run.

Assuming your not leaving a smoke screen behind you your rings and pistons have probably survived so the ticking/nocking is likely to be summin along the lines of worn crank shells, big or small end bearings, cam guides or a combination of all of them. That could explain why it gets loader and faster as the rpm goes up because you have excessive play in there.

Does the bike vibrate more than before? especially through hard points like the pegs? and test for the noise with the bike in neutral because if the noise goes away you know its the gearbox not the engine, but if it stays you know its the engine and not the gearbox.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

TheFlyingEngl...
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 17:54 - 15 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

craigT19 wrote:
Honestly probably done a fair bit of damage but destroyed may be abit harsh as usually in that situation they just dont run.

Assuming your not leaving a smoke screen behind you your rings and pistons have probably survived so the ticking/nocking is likely to be summin along the lines of worn crank shells, big or small end bearings, cam guides or a combination of all of them. That could explain why it gets loader and faster as the rpm goes up because you have excessive play in there.

Does the bike vibrate more than before? especially through hard points like the pegs?

That's true, no It's all fine for smoke.

Honestly no, just the absurd ticking noise

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:58 - 15 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

The first thing to suffer tends to be the head. I'm going to recommend taking the valve cover off and having a look inside. As you're in there, check the timing chain tension.

If the engine ran dry, there was probably no lubrication to the camshafts, which accelerated the wear. Engine head damage might be even the source of your ticking noise.

Last edited by RhynoCZ on 18:05 - 15 Dec 2017; edited 1 time in total

craigT19
Jolly Green Giant

PostPosted: 18:00 - 15 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well dont beat your self up as they say shit happens and were all young and forgetful at some point Very Happy

Heres one i made earlier Laughing ran out of oil and created a speed hole!
*took the pic out because it was massive on my phone

Do the neutral test i mention in my first post (edited it after you read it) but there is a fair chance you have just put a load of wear on the engine before its time and it will quite happily tick away for the rest of its days... as long as you keep oil in it Smile.[/i]

Last edited by craigT19 on 18:21 - 15 Dec 2017; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:06 - 15 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

craigT19 wrote:
Well dont beat your self up as they say shit happens and were all young and forgetful at some point Very Happy

https://i.imgur.com/Gar4LQT.jpg

Do the neutral test i mention in my first post (edited it after you read it) but there is a fair chance you have just put a load of wear on the engine before its time and it will quite happily tick away for the rest of its days... as long as you keep oil in it Smile.

Fazer? Is that you? Shocked

TheFlyingEngl...
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 18:08 - 15 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

craigT19 wrote:

https://i.imgur.com/Gar4LQT.jpg

Do the neutral test i mention in my first post (edited it after you read it) but there is a fair chance you have just put a load of wear on the engine before its time and it will quite happily tick away for the rest of its days... as long as you keep oil in it Smile.

Ah hold the phone, I just read up on your edit. I believe it stops ticking when I put it in neutral, and I've had a few problems with the gearbox with it slipping out of gear every now and then, but the clutch also rattles now until you squeeze the lever.

doggone
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:18 - 15 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where has the oil gone in the week you didn't check it, Rolling Eyes
Usually there is enough to stave off disaster even when well below the sight glass unless it somehow mostly shot out while running.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

andyscooter
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:19 - 15 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

7000 miles in two months

where the fuck have you been riding Shocked

TheFlyingEngl...
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 18:33 - 15 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

doggone wrote:
Usually there is enough to stave off disaster even when well below the sight glass unless it somehow mostly shot out while running.

I've honestly never really noticed it, who knows

TheFlyingEngl...
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 18:33 - 15 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

andyscooter wrote:
7000 miles in two months

where the fuck have you been riding Shocked

Laps and laps and laps of Somerset xD

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:22 - 15 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe the oil light would indicate low pressure, but you haven't mentioned any warning. A vehicle will run fine with a surprisingly low oil level.
This would be the "150mph race-tuned" bike -
CaNsA wrote:
Racers remove the limiter...
This can also be done to road bikes, but pointless due to the lump needing to be rebuilt every 3months.

Edit: Explain the title, "Rider of the Youth."

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:28 - 15 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kawasaki Jimbo wrote:
I believe the oil light would indicate low pressure, but you haven't mentioned any warning.

He also didn't mention any dead bulbs in his cluster, nor faulty oil pressure sensor, wiring...

It's an old motorcycle, many lazy people fix issues with just removing the check light bulbs.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 22:45 - 15 Dec 2017    Post subject: Re: Rider of the Youth didn't check his oil level Reply with quote

TheFlyingEnglishman wrote:
so I went home and I got the good older brother to come out to check for me and all you could smell is the bike having no oil in it, so he poured 2.5 liters of oil into the engine, it only went halfway on the spyglass but there's no min-max level so I'll see if it needs more.

Was it on the side stand when you checked or was it upright?

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:47 - 15 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

RhynoCZ wrote:
It's an old motorcycle, many lazy people fix issues with just removing the check light bulbs.

Do they really though? That would be thick, and accessing those lights on a faired bike isn't easy anyway.

TheFlyingEngl...
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 23:37 - 15 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kawasaki Jimbo wrote:
I believe the oil light would indicate low pressure, but you haven't mentioned any warning. A vehicle will run fine with a surprisingly low oil level.
This would be the "150mph race-tuned" bike -
CaNsA wrote:
Racers remove the limiter...
This can also be done to road bikes, but pointless due to the lump needing to be rebuilt every 3months.

Edit: Explain the title, "Rider of the Youth."

The oil light turns on when you switch on the ignition and then goes off. It might just be my gearbox then but the noise is coming from the top of the engine.

And the Rider of the Youth is just an indication that I'm a young rider.

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:51 - 16 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kawasaki Jimbo wrote:
RhynoCZ wrote:

Do they really though? That would be thick, and accessing those lights on a faired bike isn't easy anyway.

I've been buying second hand motorcycles and cars, quite frequently, for at least 10 years now and I've seen and heard things, that really made me scratch my head.
Just to give you an idea: missing bulbs and fuses, things that were disconnected for some reason and people acting stupid and/or just plain lying about all sort of things.

I'm not saying OP did it. Checking the low oil pressure warning lamp is simple enough.

Last edited by RhynoCZ on 01:01 - 16 Dec 2017; edited 1 time in total

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:52 - 16 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

The oil light turns on when you switch on the ignition and then goes off.

Good, if you mean it goes off when you start the engine.

It might just be my gearbox then but the noise is coming from the top of the engine.

Check the head, valve cover off.

Last edited by RhynoCZ on 10:52 - 16 Dec 2017; edited 1 time in total

redeem ouzzer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:17 - 16 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

It’s scrap and op is a fucking dickhead.

Although if it really is revving to 16k I’m surprised it hasn’t chucked a rod.

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 01:29 - 16 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

GT200Fan79 wrote:

This got me thinking, OP have you checked the airbox yet? When I had the CB-1 with short final drive gear ratio, I was reving it high a lot and it did spit some oil into the airbox, not that it would be much of a concern but it was noticeable.

Although, this only if the breather hoses are connected to the airbox properly.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 13:00 - 16 Dec 2017    Post subject: Re: Rider of the Youth didn't check his oil level Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
so I went home and I got the good older brother to come out to check for me and all you could smell is the bike having no oil in it, so he poured 2.5 liters of oil into the engine, it only went halfway on the spyglass but there's no min-max level so I'll see if it needs more.

Was it on the side stand when you checked or was it upright?

Copycat73
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:22 - 16 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

doggone wrote:

every kawasaki i`ve owned/ ran used oil..

iirc.. was told it seeps up between the liner and the block .. to be burnt in the combustion chamber ...

no doubt i will be corrected on this .. Rolling Eyes

GT200Fan79 wrote:
It’s scrap and op is a fucking dickhead.

probably will the next time he does it ..

and OP.. start lookin on evil-bay for a replacement engine or bike The world's smallest violin player, just for you!

B0ndy
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 14:05 - 16 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another ZXR400 engine destroyed, not really surprising you can't pick a half decent one - the A2 riders have destroyed them all.

You complete donkey, make sure you never do this again.

redeem ouzzer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:20 - 16 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don’t believe it suddenly started supping oil. I bet OP never checked it so would have had zero clues it burnt a bit until it made horrible noises and smelt like a foundry.

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:24 - 16 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Copycat73 wrote:
doggone wrote:

every kawasaki i`ve owned/ ran used oil..

iirc.. was told it seeps up between the liner and the block .. to be burnt in the combustion chamber ...

no doubt i will be corrected on this .. Rolling Eyes

This +1

I owned 2 Kawasaki motorcycles, the GPz required 1L of oil between the annual oil changes (to stay above the MIN notch) and the ZX7R burned some but didn't have to top it up between the oil changes, although that's only because you don't really have to rev a 100kW engine that much to get it going.

A smaller and very fast revving 20+ years old engine from Kawasaki is a completely different story. Especially if ridden without any mechanical sympathy. Thumbs Up

It's not just Kawasaki, though.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 122 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2