Smart Meters

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

LustyLew
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:57 - 16 Dec 2017    Post subject: Smart Meters Reply with quote

Evening,

I'm due to switch energy suppliers in the next week or so.

I've usually stuck with one of the 'big six' or whatever they now are! However, it seems I could save close to £100 by switching to bulb or similar. I've never really monitored my use, just submitted my reading every other month to keep my bills roughly accurate.

I've been pondering getting a smart meter so I can tweak when the heating comes on etc. They all seem to pretty much do the same thing and cost roughly the same.

However, what I'd really like to also do is monitor the temperature of the flat throughout the day, and ideally have it logged.

It's a two bed flat so a smart meter might be a bit OTT really. But perhaps someone could recommend a smart thermometer perhaps as an alternative?

Currently my Combi boiler only has a 24hr segment timer so looking to replace that either way.

Cheers!

Courier265
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:02 - 16 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

First of all, can you even have a smart meter installed? From what I know the SM connects to your router using WIFI.

There have been some horror stories of SM's giving out dud information so you end up with a massive bill.

I don't have one, I'm sticking to the meter readings I submit every 3 months, I don't trust this bit of tech...

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 18:20 - 16 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Courier265 wrote:
From what I know the SM connects to your router using WIFI.

Narp.

It does all that itself.

In terms of when to get a smart meter, I'll be getting one when the people who're advising the governbent about the rollout of smart meters think it's a good idea to get one themselves. Laughing

If you're wanting to monitor the temperature of your flat throughout the day then I suspect you're wanting some type of smart thermostat rather than smart meter.

Jewlio Rides Again LLB
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:23 - 16 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smart meters are for dumb people.

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:11 - 16 Dec 2017    Post subject: Re: Smart Meters Reply with quote

LustyLew wrote:
I've been pondering getting a smart meter so I can tweak when the heating comes on etc. They all seem to pretty much do the same thing and cost roughly the same.

ITYM a smart thermostat don't you? (Nest, Hive, one of those sorts of gizmo?) A smart meter will do nothing but provide information to you and your supplier (oh, and also provide them and any Russian hackers with the wherewithall to cut off your power remotely Thumbs Up )

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:12 - 16 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jewlio Rides Again LLB wrote:

How many have you got?

Razz Razz Razz Razz Laughing

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 19:17 - 16 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, don't get a smart meter. They constantly ping mobile masts meaning I can't make fucking phone calls.

Jewlio Rides Again LLB
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:17 - 16 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

MCN wrote:

How many have you got?

Your mum.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:19 - 16 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

How many have you got?

Jewlio Rides Again LLB
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:18 - 16 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

MCN wrote:

How many have you got?

Your mum.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 21:22 - 16 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bonus info: tomorrows smart meter will be smarter than todays.

Don't be in a rush to get one. I'm not expecting them to be worthwhile until 5G happens properly.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 22:15 - 16 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm unconvinced about what's so smart about them anyway.

As far as I can tell, they let you know what times you're using most power.

Given everyone in my household works full time, I can pretty much predict what the chart would look like and I can't think of anything that would be changing that useage pattern.

Lights on when dark. PC on between coming home and going to bed, oven on when cooking tea and washer/drier on when cleaning clothes.

Otherwise we've got a fridge and a freezer which will be on all the time.

There's shit to no mobile reception in my kitchen anyway and a meter reader hasn't set foot in my house since the day I moved in on account of them only coming during working houirs and me being out at work during those hours. So we're still down to me submitting a meter reading once a quarter.

Not that I'll ever be getting one fitted anyway on account of, once again, them only coming during working hours to do it and I'm fucked if I'm sitting about on my day off waiting for some fucker to fit a redundant box in my kitchen that will flash coloured lights at me and, knowing my luck, beep.

My spinny electromechanical meter also can't be tampered with to make it run faster.

ScaredyCat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:26 - 16 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

How technical are you?

Simple SDR capable dongle + Raspberry pi + wireless thermometers using rtl_433 and rrdtool.

Job done.

If you want to monitor your electricity usage then you could use a Current Cost Envi has a display but if you want to store the data get a usb cable - data output is xml. Simple to read and parse. Current Cost Envi also has a temperature sensor.

If you can find them add the IAMs to the Current Cost (up to 8) and you can monitor individual devices. eg

https://www.dropbox.com/s/6m4bi3bnymhbxax/Electricitysm.png?raw=1

The money I spent on current cost kit was made back by it identifying that my fridge freezer was pulling 4.8 kWh a day (1 kWh roughly costs £1) and was fucked. I got a new one, you can see its usage in the graph above.

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:28 - 17 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Knowing your consumption might help some people with their bills but there's more than one way to look at this. Smart meters will help energy providers figure out new ways of billing people. Do you think that will be biased towards benefiting the consumer or the provider?

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

doggone
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:36 - 17 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the meter can talk to the supplier there are potential efficiencies such as pausing fridges and freezers during mini peaks, and more levels of variable charges, which you could take advantage of, e.g. using cheap electric to store hot water when you wouldn't otherwise.
Longer term we might see electric vehicle batteries acting like a balancer feeding power both ways.

They seem to need mobile phone data signal to connect at the moment so large areas (including here) can't have them as there is none.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 10:54 - 17 Dec 2017    Post subject: Re: Smart Meters Reply with quote

Sounds like OP just wants a thermostat to control the heating.

https://www.screwfix.com/p/flomasta-22602sx-wireless-programmable-thermostat/4718g

And upwards from there.

Courier265
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:46 - 17 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

doggone wrote:

They seem to need mobile phone data signal to connect at the moment so large areas (including here) can't have them as there is none.

I researched this and I found out it connects via WIFI, mobile signals in my area are terrible, no matter what network you are on. British Gas insist we can have a smart meter but the lack of mobile signal and not everyone has the internet makes me wonder.

Jewlio Rides Again LLB
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:44 - 17 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Courier265 wrote:
doggone wrote:

I researched this and I found out it connects via WIFI, mobile signals in my area are terrible, no matter what network you are on. British Gas insist we can have a smart meter but the lack of mobile signal and not everyone has the internet makes me wonder.

BG will bend (you) over backwards to accommodate a piece of kit to screw precious snowflakes like yourself.

When was the last time ANY big company did anything to help their customer? Really?

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:10 - 17 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you need to know how much a particular appliance costs to run, just blow a fiver on a simple power meter

doggone wrote:
If the meter can talk to the supplier there are potential efficiencies such as pausing fridges and freezers during mini peaks

Only 'potential' in the sense that any such benefits would require new/additional hardware to implement; eg any such appliances would need to be 'smart' themselves or at least be wired up on separate circuits. Anyway - why on earth would anyone want to give their lecky supplier the wherewithall to switch off their freezer when it feels like it? If I really wanted to implement something like here, I'd organise it through some sort of smart device or computer within my own home, completely under my own control. This is exactly why no way in hell am I letting the buggers fit one here.

Courier265 wrote:
I researched this and I found out it connects via WIFI

Really? Link?

Last edited by Freddyfruitbat on 17:32 - 17 Dec 2017; edited 2 times in total
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 19:14 - 17 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smart meters do not connect to your home wifi.

They're not going to be used to cut off the electricity to your fridge during a period of high demand or at any other time for that matter.

The only reason your supplier is interested in installing one in your house is because of the ever increasing amount of money being thrown around by the government to try and meet their targets for the roll out of smart meters.

Nobody cares about spying on you specifically because you're so unimportant that you're nothing to The Man.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 21:25 - 17 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also worth noting that they can and will fit a smart meter where they know full well there's no mobile reception. They did this at my work. So someone comes round to read it just like the old one.*

Early smart meters revert to being dumb meters when you change suppliers.

As has been mentioned above, it's all being paid for by an extra tarriff levvied by the government on electricity prices which is being ploughed back into them fitting smart meters. They don't give a shit if they are either helpful or even actually work.

My understanding is also that the way the tarriff operates, they are being disproportionately funded by the people on prepayment meters who can least afford it.

So just remember how effective even a little government interference is next time you hear comrade Corbyn wittering on about nationalising the energy companies.

*Mind you, someone also comes round once a month to read a gas meter that's not attached to anything (including a gas main). I've dragged it nearer the door to save him a walk. Someone also comes once a month to read the water meter that I covered in soil 6 months ago to see if they'd bother wiping it off. They didn't.

Courier265
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:10 - 17 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Freddyfruitbat wrote:

Courier265 wrote:
I researched this and I found out it connects via WIFI

Really? Link?

Actually this isn't the case now, It's GPRS (mobile data) when I researched it a couple of years ago the claim was it was a wifi connection.

Jewlio Rides Again LLB
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:25 - 17 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Courier265 wrote:
Freddyfruitbat wrote:

Really? Link?

Actually this isn't the case now, It's GPRS (mobile data) when I researched it a couple of years ago the claim was it was a wifi connection.

Like I said, for dumb people.

ScaredyCat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:58 - 17 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpd72 wrote:
ScaredyCat wrote:
(1 kWh roughly costs £1)

It's roughly nearer to 13p. hth.

I miss typed, meant Watt. 1 Watt = £1 (12 month period) so a 1000 Watt device running 24 x 365 at 13p kWh will cost £1138, close enough for rough calculations to use 1 Watt == £1 for yearly calculations.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 102 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2