Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic : View next topic  

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:57 - 18 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Courier265 wrote:
Courier265 wrote:
I researched this and I found out it connects via WIFI
Actually this isn't the case now, It's GPRS (mobile data) when I researched it a couple of years ago the claim was it was a wifi connection.

No way; smart meters were always intended to use just the mobile phone network. Imagine a national smart metering system that would only work in an environment that happened to have operational wifi? Rolling Eyes

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 10:54 - 18 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
Nobody cares about spying on you specifically because you're so unimportant that you're nothing to The Man.

That's exactly what The Man would say.

Every so often I unblock withheld numbers on my mobile just for a giggle. OVO generally calls within a few hours to tell me the great news that they're installing smart meters in my area and I can get one FOR FREE.

As you may imagine, lulz are had. I reckon next time I'll ask them how much they're prepared to pay me in order to let them install one. Hint: it'll never be enough.
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

Jewlio Rides Again LLB
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:18 - 18 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpd72 wrote:
ScaredyCat wrote:

I miss typed, meant Watt. 1 Watt = £1 (12 month period) so a 1000 Watt device running 24 x 365 at 13p kWh will cost £1138, close enough for rough calculations to use 1 Watt == £1 for yearly calculations.

Really? Looks like you were talking kWh to me.

Quote:
my fridge freezer was pulling 4.8 kWh a day (1 kWh roughly costs £1)

Going by the above, your fridge was actually costing you 60p a day, where you seem to be suggesting £4.80 a day.

How's them tax returns coming along? Still fraudulently?

ScaredyCat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:39 - 18 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpd72 wrote:
Really? Looks like you were talking kWh to me.

Rolling Eyes

dodsi
Dirty Carny

PostPosted: 16:40 - 18 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

OP means smart thermostat- BCF runs with smart electricity meters.

I have a Nest installed in my place, I did then when I had a while gas heating system installed (radiators, boiler, plumbing the lot) because we used to have electric ‘economy 7’ Heaters which were shit.

So, I can’t compare to say if it brought my gas usage down as I have only ever used it with a nest. However my bills seem cheap and my flat feels warm all the time.

It’s nice to see your flue begin to disperse steam as you get out of the car and walk towards home. It’s great that I can check I turned the heating off literally anywhere in the world. The nest ‘protect’ smoke alarm and carbon monoxide alarm is also good to get notifications to your phone.

So far, found it to be an excellent system - very clever and more useful than you might think. Like when I was away And had a friend popping in to kee an eye on the cat I could monitor the temperature inside and stick the heating on for half an hour or so warm the place up a little for professor furry bollocks.

For the record I have a ‘dumb’ gas and electric meter that I just send the readings in online myself.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 16:44 - 18 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

dodsi wrote:
OP means smart thermostat

OP needs dumb thermostat.

Jewlio Rides Again LLB
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:50 - 18 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

We've run up over £400 of credit with the energy supplier. Without a smart meter.

That'll do me. Thumbs Up

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:01 - 18 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

dodsi wrote:
The nest ‘protect’ smoke alarm and carbon monoxide alarm is also good to get notifications to your phone.

dodsi quaffing a pint of Rager in a bar in down-town Tokio

Beep--Beep (text from Nest) "Hi, just to let you know, yer hoose is oan fire big yin."

Shocked

LustyLew
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:42 - 19 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi!

Sorry! Yes, went full retard. I meant Smart Thermostats!

My supplier has been pestering me to install a Smart Meter but never want to arrange a time convenient to ME so they can go swing!

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 11:52 - 19 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why do you need a "smart" thermostat?

"Smart" meters should not be accepted under any circumstances. They're not free. We (and we includes you) will pay for it.

LustyLew
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:18 - 19 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
Why do you need a "smart" thermostat?

"Smart" meters should not be accepted under any circumstances. They're not free. We (and we includes you) will pay for it.

Well that's it. Having ready through here, other BCF threads and speaking with friends. I would be better placed to move to a cheaper energy supplier. Though even looking at the savings they seem to be based on my current suppliers 'Standard Tariff'. So where Uswitch say I'll save ~£130, it actually becomes closer to £40. That's also taking into consideration dual fuel tariffs. I might save more if I split suppliers.

Urg, I hate energy renewals.

Rest assured I DO NOT WANT a smart meter until it is forced upon me.

A 7-day programmable thermostat along with TRVs should suit my needs nicely. Now if only I could find the drain valve for the central heating...

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:33 - 19 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am being badgered to install smart meters. The only main hurdle is my existing clock-work gas meter. Something about the kit to fit is 'special' order. Rolling Eyes

I have a heating/hot water control remote control from an app or via a website.

It is interesting to track one's usage and to find out how cold it is.
When I am 'away' it runs a minimal temp to prevent frozen pipes.

Major Failing: The system is quite often (annoyingly) unavailable as the internet connection to my house is 'something'.

I have been fighting a war with Talk-Talk (sometimes we not talk) and previously BT to sort the fcuking connection out. They aye say it may be some other radio signal is interfering with my wifi etc... The issue is that it is nigh impossible to determine what the problem is as I cannot open the local exchange or lift the man-hole covers to trace the broken wire myself. (Talk-Talk The Fcukers keep shouting 'fibre' 'fibre' at me too..)

I can/should be able to switch on heating/hot water from anywhere I have internet.

Apart from that, a decent heating/hot water controller from Honeywell can do all an internet control can do.

goto10
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:37 - 19 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

dodsi wrote:
OP means smart thermostat- BCF runs with smart electricity meters.

I have a Nest installed in my place, I did then when I had a while gas heating system installed (radiators, boiler, plumbing the lot) because we used to have electric ‘economy 7’ Heaters which were shit.

So, I can’t compare to say if it brought my gas usage down as I have only ever used it with a nest. However my bills seem cheap and my flat feels warm all the time.

It’s nice to see your flue begin to disperse steam as you get out of the car and walk towards home. It’s great that I can check I turned the heating off literally anywhere in the world. The nest ‘protect’ smoke alarm and carbon monoxide alarm is also good to get notifications to your phone.

So far, found it to be an excellent system - very clever and more useful than you might think. Like when I was away And had a friend popping in to kee an eye on the cat I could monitor the temperature inside and stick the heating on for half an hour or so warm the place up a little for professor furry bollocks.

For the record I have a ‘dumb’ gas and electric meter that I just send the readings in online myself.

Yup, it's a good system. I've also linked mine to my SmartThings account (using NST Manager V5), so I have all of my 'Things' [including thermostat controls] on a nice dashboard (courtesy of https://www.actiontiles.com ) - a few strategically placed tablets around the house give control of the things in a neat way. I've also used WebCore to automate a few things, including Lannouncer running on one of the tablets that shouts at my wife when she leaves the inner door open at the same time as the front door whilst she's f'king around on the driveway unloading the car and letting loads of heat out of the house (then proceeding to moan about how cold it is)...and breathe...
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 100 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2