Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

All bike gear to be CE labelled from 2018

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Biking News & Rumours Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 09:26 - 18 Dec 2017    Post subject: All bike gear to be CE labelled from 2018 Reply with quote

Via Bennetts, as usual:

From 21st April 2018, all motorcycle gear sold in the EU must be CE labelled.

That appears to mean the actual garment itself, rather than just the inserts.

I stress "labelled" rather than tested, since as far as I can tell, all labelling is self "certification". I've never been able to verify that any helmet marked as ECE 22.05 has actually been independently tested as such, other than after the fact by SHARP.

I wonder what this will mean in practice? I expect that the majority of eBay tat vendors will continue to peddle chicken-skin leathers and fashion wear as "motorcycle" gear without let or hindrance (possible with a "not for the motorscootist to uses" disclaimer), while the likes of J&S are going to have a lot less stock at higher prices.

The threat of being made to wear CE gear seems a long way away, but Le Frogs will lead the way on that, we can be sure.

Matt B
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:05 - 18 Dec 2017    Post subject: Re: All bike gear to be CE labelled from 2018 Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
The threat of being made to wear CE gear seems a long way away, but Le Frogs will lead the way on that, we can be sure.

They already have. New stupidity introduced this year states that CE gloves must be worn when riding.

https://www.eta.co.uk/2017/05/26/new_motorbike_law_in_france_2017/

barrkel
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:12 - 18 Dec 2017    Post subject: Re: All bike gear to be CE labelled from 2018 Reply with quote

Matt B wrote:
They already have. New stupidity introduced this year states that CE gloves must be worn when riding.

The way to get out of these kinds of things in the long term is by getting rid of socialized medicine. If you can eliminate the NHS, then you can overcome the moral argument that other people have to pay for your own stupidity when you get injured.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 11:25 - 18 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

One might also ask how you can have freedom of movement if you become a criminal the moment you ride into France without your CE gloves, helmet with 4 reflective stickers, spare glasses, two breathalysers and all the other wankery that Le Frogs demand.

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:59 - 18 Dec 2017    Post subject: Re: All bike gear to be CE labelled from 2018 Reply with quote

barrkel wrote:
Matt B wrote:

The way to get out of these kinds of things in the long term is by getting rid of socialized medicine. If you can eliminate the NHS, then you can overcome the moral argument that other people have to pay for your own stupidity when you get injured.

This could be seen as throwing the baby out with the bath water. E.g. if someone crashes without CE certificated gear (or, let us say, gear properly tested - given that the whole CE thing seems potentially shit) their medical treatment is billed to their insurer. Or perhaps a form of waiver is assumed - i.e. crash without the appropriate gear and the NHS refuses treatment.

Of course, it'll never happen - but I see no moral problem with this.

More likely, the NHS will cease to exist and the whole issue of gear becomes irrelevant. Individuals will pay for their own treatment and if they can't afford it they'll die where they crash.

I'm lucky cos I'm a rich cunt. But I do have some pity for those of you who'll die premature deaths.

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:13 - 18 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
One might also ask how you can have freedom of movement if you become a criminal the moment you ride into France without your CE gloves, helmet with 4 reflective stickers, spare glasses, two breathalysers and all the other wankery that Le Frogs demand.

Well I suppose our drink drive laws don't stop the Elbonian lorry drivers from coming over here and stacking a 20 tonne payload into a static line of queuing cars, so we should just Baklaff it, yeah?

I know it's lazy, but seriously all that crap just puts me off going on a Euro tour.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Matt B
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:53 - 18 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

France is a pain, but only a minor one.

My A* gloves all have CE labels in, I have ignored the reflective helmet sticker thing for years with no issues and throwing a hiviz in the top box is easy enough.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:10 - 18 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matt B wrote:
France is a pain, but only a minor one.

A very minor one. I had helmet stickers but didn't put them on. Had a hi viz in the tank bag. That was it. I wouldn't even know without going to look if any of my kit has CE labels. Once over in Abroadland, I never even thought about any of that stuff.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:00 - 18 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:

You don't leave your home island much, do you?

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 15:05 - 18 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

RhynoCZ wrote:
You don't leave your home island much, do you?

Not via France, no.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:11 - 18 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

The thing is, we sit here contemplating a tour in France. As motorcyclists, we spend a lot of time considering what we need to do to be legal there. But the French fuzz don't spend every minute considering how they can nick visiting bikers. If you're behaving yourself, you'll be left to get on with it. It ain't the Soviet Union over there yet, y'know Smile
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:20 - 18 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Googling what the Czech authorities say about French

Motorcycle helmets must have reflective features in accordance with ECE 22-04, paragraph 6.16. Helmets approved by the French authorities without reflective stickers may be used. Question

Motor vehicle drivers and motorcyclists must have an alcotester in their means of transport but no fine will be imposed if they can not show it during a police roadside check.

Hi-Vis vest + gloves and helmet.

Headsets for listening music and handsfree earphones are forbidden for cyclists, motorcyclists, quad bike drivers and motor vehicle drivers.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:31 - 18 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

RhynoCZ wrote:
Googling what the Czech authorities say about French

Motorcycle helmets must have reflective features in accordance with ECE 22-04, paragraph 6.16. Helmets approved by the French authorities without reflective stickers may be used. Question

Motor vehicle drivers and motorcyclists must have an alcotester in their means of transport but no fine will be imposed if they can not show it during a police roadside check.

Hi-Vis vest + gloves and helmet.

Headsets for listening music and handsfree earphones are forbidden for cyclists, motorcyclists, quad bike drivers and motor vehicle drivers.

And.... Slap on the back of the legs if you dare to use a speed camera detector. And satellite navigation C/W 'safety camera' location warnings must be disabled.

Everyone knows the real reason to want out of Europe is so we can avoid the Frogs. Worse than the Tallies and the Krouts (and the Spanish/Belgians/Swiss/Greeks/Portugeezers/Dutch/and any of the others.)

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 20:47 - 18 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can buy CE marked labels on ebay.

100 of them for just over a tenner with whatever you want printed on them.

The labels are CE marked as they are compliant with the EN71-3:2013+A1+AC1 regulations (as non-toxic labels).

peejayess
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 18:37 - 31 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why is it assumed that people who make dodgy gear don’t also make dodgy CE labels?

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 19:02 - 31 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

peejayess wrote:
Why is it assumed that people who make dodgy gear don’t also make dodgy CE labels?

It's not.

Rogerborg wrote:
I stress "labelled" rather than tested, since as far as I can tell, all labelling is self "certification".

Chinese businesses poison babies in order to increase their profit. They're not going to give two figs about slapping any required label on their sweatshop gear.

Courier265
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:50 - 01 Jan 2018    Post subject: Re: All bike gear to be CE labelled from 2018 Reply with quote

Matt B wrote:
Rogerborg wrote:

https://www.eta.co.uk/2017/05/26/new_motorbike_law_in_france_2017/

That's farking Bollocks.

recman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:28 - 01 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never ever checked for a CE label on any of my bike gear.
Maybe I should, or should I ¿?¿?
I'm so confused. Who do I trust?

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:02 - 02 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

recman wrote:

I don't trust anything entirely, but rather pin my hopes on the gear I bought based on a cursory glance over it when purchasing.

The stitching on the fingers of my Held CE labelled gloves came away about 6 months into light use - so I've had them repaired. Usually I'd get all uppity about that but having seen a Knox Handroid totes assplode on impact - and I do mean entirely ripped apart - I wouldn't suggest that anything more expensive or revered is to be considered automatically better. Even less so just because it's got a special mark dear.

recman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:24 - 02 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

arry wrote:
recman wrote:

I don't trust anything entirely, but rather pin my hopes on the gear I bought based on a cursory glance over it when purchasing.

Nail on the head. I'll trust myself.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 14:39 - 06 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apropos reminder and another in depth article from Bennetts:

https://www.bennetts.co.uk/bikesocial/news-and-views/features/product/motorcycle-clothing-the-ce-approval-law-explained

Now's probably the time to buy yourself some end-of-line gear from legit retailers.

I'm sure - just sure - that every eBay and Amazon drop shipper or Chinashop will comply with these requirements. Whistle

Londoner2015
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 10:58 - 26 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

There will be an interim period during which we’ll still be able to buy old, non-CE gear. But, after that, will Dainese RST etc be able to sell non-CE jackets? Will they be able to say: “this is a non-motorcycle jacket which just so happens to have elbow and shoulder protectors, if you want to use it on a motorcycle it’s your business”? That’s what I don’t understand.

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:27 - 26 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Londoner2015 wrote:
will Dainese RST etc be able to sell non-CE jackets? Will they be able to say: “this is a non-motorcycle jacket which just so happens to have elbow and shoulder protectors, if you want to use it on a motorcycle it’s your business”?

I expect the law will be directed at the end retailer rather than the manufacturer. So that in theory the above non-motorcycle Dainese jacket could be sold legitimately by Topshop, but not SportsBikeShop. That's my guess, anyway.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:44 - 26 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.bennetts.co.uk/bikesocial/news-and-views/features/product/motorcycle-clothing-the-ce-approval-law-explained

“As part of the working group that developed the original CE standards, I never wanted to see riders forced to wear protective kit,” says Paul. “I just wanted a customer to be able to go into a shop, make a judgement and complete an informed purchase based on an independent testing standard. It still is my position, and I think the blanket categorisation of all motorcycle clothing is illogical. But it’s an extreme reaction that the industry as a whole is responsible for creating; if every company had produced a niche range of CE-approved products – even 5% of its entire range – I don’t think we’d be in this situation. But for too long the majority stance was to ignore the standards, while continuing to market clothing as being protective.”

So the industry was probably being cnuts just to lever more £££ by using the Laws to 'enhance' the image of their products.

'As seen on CE'

It is not really as much of a Show Stopper as the Third Directive is/was.

I believe a standard is only useful if it is an actual standard and has some kind of measure to enforce/support it.

Like that article clearly explains, some manufacturers would jump on the PPE band wagon to clearly Dupe their consumers.

Although pinning them down on that would prove impossible as the likes of Oxford believe they sell decent kwality stuff. Aye right Oxford.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 13:16 - 26 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also:
https://www.bennetts.co.uk/bikesocial/news-and-views/features/product/ce-motorcycle-clothing-hood-motorcycle-jeans

tl;dr version - Euro diktat results in manufacturing and jobs being moved out of Europe to China. Thanks, Brussels.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 338 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Biking News & Rumours All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3