Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

"Noise Nuisance due to revving motorbike"

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Biking News & Rumours Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

SteveZZR
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 14:14 - 18 Oct 2013    Post subject: "Noise Nuisance due to revving motorbike" Reply with quote

Just had a letter from the local council telling me that some cunt has complained about the revving of my motorbike.

I'd hazard a 90% guess its the twat over the road that thinks every bike coming past MUST be mine. He actually knocked on the door and kicked off last year, saying that it wasn't on to be revving shit out of my bike in the middle of the night whilst my bike had no engine and and I was in plaster up to my elbow....

What can they actually do about this and are there any daft loopholes I can use?
Can isn't BS marked but that can be sorted, noise isn't at all OTT, there are louder stock exhausts out there. I don't sit revving the bike at any time really unless its servicing time which it hasn't been for over a month. All i do at home with it is put it on choke and let it warm up whilst i put my lid on.

If i wheel it onto the road is it then off my property and not under this complaint?
I don't see how riding a motorbike and keeping revs low til I'm at the main road comes under the same complaint as pissheads with over-loud music?

suzukirider19...
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 14:25 - 18 Oct 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

tell them to f*ck off. as long its sencible hours they cant do fuck all. they can do something if your property is owned by the council. if you own it cant do nothing. had the same problem told them where to go and never heard anything since

SteveZZR
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 14:32 - 18 Oct 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Found this on google

Sounds like nothing will ever come of it. Guess I'll just start it on the street and let the waste of my council tax money commence.
I know I don't have to start it on the street but it just removes any oportunity for them to have ANY valid evidence

forgot to say, it's a rented property so they could possibly try to raise it with the landlord if they knew that; is there a way they could find that out?

Either way, moving onto the road before I start it will nullify any action - as shown in the link, the police will just conclude it's a road bike with a legal exhaust.

BTTD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:45 - 18 Oct 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's quite an amusing little rant he's having on that website.

It's also amusing that he even states that all the other neighbours don't have a problem with it. I'd happily ignore him and carry on if I was you. Thumbs Up

SteveZZR
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 15:00 - 18 Oct 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

jnw010 wrote:
That's quite an amusing little rant he's having on that website.

It's also amusing that he even states that all the other neighbours don't have a problem with it. I'd happily ignore him and carry on if I was you. Thumbs Up

Just thought I'd clarify that the link isn't my case, just another one similar.

Just need a stand for a temporary fuel tank so I can balance my carbs at the roadside Wink

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 16:56 - 18 Oct 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

SteveZZR wrote:

Just need a stand for a temporary fuel tank so I can balance my carbs at the roadside Wink

Have you considered bungieing the normal tank to the rear subframe whilst balancing?

P.S. He sounds like a cocksucker.

instigator
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:59 - 18 Oct 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd say be considerate.... get on the bike, start it up and ride away. Don't leave it idling away, 'warming up' like most retards do. Just a bit of consideration for others. And yes... this is regardless of whether your exhaust is legal or not. I've had diesel cars sitting outside my house before and they're irritating as fuck.

Treat others the way you wish to be treated.

And if you do all the above and he still complains.... tell him to go do one...

gavcarter
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 17:11 - 18 Oct 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Find for definite the noise pollution times ( im pretty sure its between 8am and 11pm ) and drive up and down the street ( not like a hooligan incase he phones police) for the last half hour of this time EVERY DAY until he shuts the f**k up about it.

If any one asks your having running issues and prefer to try and test the bike when the roads are quiet Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 17:46 - 18 Oct 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

gavcarter wrote:
Find for definite the noise pollution times ( im pretty sure its between 8am and 11pm ) and drive up and down the street ( not like a hooligan incase he phones police) for the last half hour of this time EVERY DAY until he shuts the f**k up about it.

If any one asks your having running issues and prefer to try and test the bike when the roads are quiet Wink

8am? Looks like only the workshy would be woken up...

billytwomirro...
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 17:49 - 18 Oct 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

If he's a serial moaner the council will just go through the motions,i had it from next door when i built a shed,council called me in and told me they were allways moaning about someone,but they could'nt say who it was.

SteveZZR
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 17:54 - 18 Oct 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't understand how warming it up for 30 seconds meaning its runs better, whilst putting my helmet on, is any issue to anyone. it actually means i can run at lower revs out of the housing estate.

Research suggests that the 11pm til 7am thing isn't the case anymore

J4mes
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:17 - 18 Oct 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interested in this one as my retired neighbour moans his dick off every time I see him as I go to work at 7am. I literally start my bike, put my helmet on and ride away at low speed, so probably 30-60 seconds of noise. I've told him to roll over and go back to sleep, get up for a piss, make a brew and take it back to bed but he thinks it's unreasonable.

I also told him to pay my salary and I'll spend all day in bed instead.

He was watching me from the landing window the other morning so I bet he is desperate for another moan!

I've been polite so far, if it carries on he's gonna get told to piss off.

yaigi
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:24 - 18 Oct 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't worry about it to be honest, this is how the whole noise complaint process works:

• Neighbour makes complaint to council
• Council send out letter to you, plus letter to them with an attached sheet for them to log all the occurrences of your noise making for the next month
• Over the course of the next month, the neighbour is supposed to make a note of all the dates and times you make noise plus the nature of the noise and how it affected them
• Once the month has passed the neighbour sends the sheet back into the council and they look for a pattern. If at this point they do not receive the timesheet then the case is closed.
• If a pattern is establised the council will then send someone out at a time they think you will be making noise to record it
• If said noise is what they would class as a nuisance, you can be fined

Now, given that you're probably making the noise outside of the times they would call a nuisance (so before 7am and after 11am), and your neighbour sounds like an idiot who has assumed every bike making noise is yours, I doubt they're going to actually be able to a)Catch you revving your bike during what is perceived to be anti-social hours, or b)establish any kind of pattern.

gavcarter
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 18:49 - 18 Oct 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had this before about my dog - I phoned the council and told them to have the alley way patrolled by someone making sure the gates are locked on a night - or to move all the smackrats out of the street so they are not wandering up and down all night.
I informed them that my dog is praised for waking me up when arseholes insist on talkin loudly within 20ft of my back gates, especially when they are only out to see what they can nick.

I basically argued my dog isnt the problem its the people who make her bark late at night thats the problem and sure enough they came round with their dB meters a few weeks later at just after 1.am!!

When i confronted them in the alley, they said they were following up investigations.
I told them to walk about 4 houses away from mine and stand there for a bit - they did and dog stopped barking.
I invited them to stand back near my gates and the dong went bonkers again.
I told them to take a note of how close they had to be to get the dog to bark and nothing was ever mentioned of it again.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

SteveZZR
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 01:32 - 19 Oct 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a shift worker so I tend to be using the bike around 6am, 2pm and 10pm. Its not like I leave it for 15 minutes whilst I have a brew or anything daft, I literally wheel it out onto the drive, such that the exhaust is pointed into a bush as not to upset anyone, strike it up on choke, grab my lid and put it on, lock up, and leave.

A loophole in the environment act means I'll be doing as above but instead of a noise deadening bush I'll just put it on the road, nearer the suspected wingers house, before starting it and it'll be a police issue then. MOT tester has my back about the can being reasonable too, phoned him today.

Vracktal
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:35 - 19 Oct 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Post a pack of disposable earplugs through his letterbox. Job jobbed.

mysterious_rider
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:40 - 19 Oct 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got someone scream at me as i warmed the bike up on the way to work. Just got to work, rang my mum and she went round the neighbors house and sorted it. Shocked Laughing

Turns out they didn't like the blipping. So fair enough, hold her steady idle and no ones complained since. If they did I'd tell them to piss off, and If my bike got damaged their windows would get the same treatment.

Thumbs Up

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 09:35 - 19 Oct 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

SteveZZR wrote:
Don't understand how warming it up for 30 seconds meaning its runs better

It'll run fine if you just start and go. You're not doing it any favours by having it sitting there.

That said, I wouldn't ignore it, I'd refute his claim. Document him kicking off when your bike was off the road, and why not just go ahead and say that you're concerned for your safety given that he appears to have undiagnosed mental health issues.

SteveZZR
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 14:04 - 19 Oct 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Soon as anything actually accusing me of an offense comes through I'll refute it, for now the letter merely states that someone has winged.

Don't see how it isn't running better if it'll run happily at 2k/15mph when run for 30 seconds but will stall if I try doing it immediately after starting. Perhaps when I correct my floats it'll be better.... But then again rich problems get worse with heat?

Dave70
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:03 - 19 Oct 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

He sounds similar to the arl cnut who lives next door to me, who for some reason, has taken a strong dislike to me. He even moved my bicycle one day and put it across the fire exit. He then put a letter under my door telling me that it was he who moved it there and that it's an offence for the fire exit to be blocked, so I should remove it or he'll be reporting me to the relevent authorities Laughing Laughing Laughing

As far as I'm aware, he hasn't complained about noise my motorcycle yet but, then again, maybe he has and was told there's no problem to be found.

If I were you, I'd just carry on doing what your doing, as long as everythng is legal and ignore the sad get. Do be warned though, these type of people usually don't like to be ignored, so a strong word may have to be had at some point in the future to get him to behave but, hopefully he'll find something else to occupy his time with.

Good luck Thumbs Up

moonzoomer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:21 - 19 Oct 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could I suggest you make an audio recording of you bike , place your bike in full view of the arsehole then play back the recording through a hidden high powered speaker, it works for me. Laughing

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:20 - 19 Oct 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stop pussyfooting around with this twat!

suburban myth
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 01:16 - 20 Oct 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

SteveZZR wrote:

Are roadside repairs legal now? There was a time when you weren't allowed to do them unless you were a recovery man (AA, RAC etc). Perhaps a local council bye law?

On your drive, no problem.

bladerunner
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:08 - 20 Oct 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lock up...put your helmet on then start the bike and ride off. Really it's not a problem and saves you fuel! Never had a bike or car that needed tickover before using and tickover means crap oil pressure!

That said he does sound like he's got a bee in his bonnet over the whole thing! And once that starts....every time he hears a bike it's like he is being hassled......maybe let him know when your going to be doing a carb balance or service and if the time is ok with him....shock the crap out of him by asking if he'd like to watch you do it....even lend a hand with it whilst having a brew etc! He'll probably say no but it's worked for me in the past! Granted I live in the middle of nowhere but used to take the RGV out for a shake down or general check /run in before race day....and that was silly loud. Attitude went from who's that idiot to ah it's just him checking the race bike even giving a smile and a wave ......it might not work but hey better than where it's going now! Erm don't forget to offer him earplugs if he does come over tho! Laughing

Wafer_Thin_Ham
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 07:52 - 20 Oct 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

mysterious_rider wrote:
I got someone scream at me as i warmed the bike up on the way to work. Just got to work, rang my mum and she went round the neighbors house and sorted it. Shocked Laughing

You don't need to warm the bike up.

Start button, into gear and go.

If it runs crap when cold then sort it out so it runs properly. It's not difficult.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 10 years, 162 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Biking News & Rumours All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5