Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

20mph zones cause rise in road injuries

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Itchy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:45 - 18 Dec 2017    Post subject: 20mph zones cause rise in road injuries Reply with quote

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/12/17/20mph-limit-dangerous-costly-reverse-council-admits/
Quote:

Bath and North East Somerset Council spent £871,000 bringing in the 13 new speed zones just 12 months ago.

But one year on, a report has found that the rate of people killed or seriously injured has gone up in seven out of the 13 new 20mph zones.

Quote:
Despite the council's own report concluding that there is "little in the way of persuasive argument for continuing the programme in the future", deputy leader Patrick Anketell-Jones has admitted there simply isn't the money available to reverse the 20mph zones.

The Conservative councillor said: "It has cost over £800,000 to roll out the 20mph zone and it would probably cost the same to reverse them.

"We just haven't got the money. I'm pretty sure the 20mph zones will stay in place for the foreseeable future."

Of course until the brother of the council chief who just so happens to be the guy hired to do this needs a new yacht or his Rolls Royce gets a bit dirty.

Quote:

In the 12 months since each 20mph zone was installed the rate of people killed or seriously injured has gone up in seven out of the 13 areas.

The reductions had been seen in central Bath whilst the worsening was largely in outlying rural areas.

The report added: "Casualty severity has worsened marginally in Bath and more so in outlying towns. Again, this is reflective of the national situation."

Quote:
"More people are being hurt because less people are taking care, and the council are saying that they can't afford it.

Risk compensation strikes again https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Risk_compensation#Overview
Spain 2008France 2007Big one 2009 We all die. The goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will. In the end, your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 15:03 - 18 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

They can't afford to take down the signs?

Can they afford to tweet that the citizenry should feel free to take them down, for free?

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:03 - 18 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 20mph thing is shite.
Shite shite shite.

We are being held to ransom by stupid scared shitless drivers who have little or no road confidence, predominantly asian women still on P-plates who are scared of just about everything and never disobey anybody, africans who are afraid of losing their licence/being stopped and therefore found out that they are fake licences anyway, and sent back to [wherever] on the next banana boat - or minicab drivers of almost every foreign extraction, who are afraid of dinging their extremely expensive leased executive hire car and therefore tend to travel at approximately 15 mph so as to stay within the 20mph limit, and they hold EVERYBODY up.

This also causes members of the Entitled Generation to expect that they may cross the road in front of any car with no risk whatsoever. They are often appear to be incensed that they are tooted at by drivers who take umbrage at their perusal of their Instagram page whilst crossing the road.

And don't even get me started on cyclists ...

London is slowly grinding to a halt because of this triumvirate of idiocies.

The only place I have a conscience about sticking to the 20mph rule is on Tower Bridge, and that is only because she is a grand old lady who deserves respect.

We should go back to the 30mph thing immediately.
Pep things up a little round here ...

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:12 - 18 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

This look like a politically motivated half-the-facts subject.

The theory is sound.

Hitting a child at 20MPH is much much less damaging than hitting a child at 30MPH
'Ye canny change the laws of physics.'

But is people in the area are ill-informed i.e. basically fucking stupid then what can be done to prevent them from Darwinizing themselves?

As RSOPA claim, this is maybe a 'local' phenomenon and the wider use of the zones is proving that 20s are safer in other places.

"A nationwide review of 20mph limits published by the The Royal Society for the Prevention of Accidents (RoSPA) last month concluded: "A large number of evaluation studies have demonstrated a link between the introduction of 20mph zones and a subsequent reduction in casualties. The size of the reductions and the consistency of results over a wide number of areas are further evidence for this link.""

Anyone who complains that 20s in areas where vulnerable children are should re-think their own values.
Spelled out I think driving slower in these areas is much easier than killing a child.

There are places where 'excess' speed harms no one (so long as no one over-cooks it.) and there are places where excess speed becomes very anti-social.

Even the 20s can be made hazardous by fucktard 'engineers' who do not understand guidelines for design and use of traffic calming measures. Speed Bumps/Humps/Cushions must be situated correctly and made of suitable material so that 'all' road users can negotiate the hazard safely.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:19 - 18 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

hellkat wrote:
The 20mph thing is shite.
Shite shite shite.

We are being held to ransom by stupid scared shitless drivers who have little or no road confidence, predominantly asian women still on P-plates who are scared of just about everything and never disobey anybody, africans who are afraid of losing their licence/being stopped and therefore found out that they are fake licences anyway, and sent back to [wherever] on the next banana boat - or minicab drivers of almost every foreign extraction, who are afraid of dinging their extremely expensive leased executive hire car and therefore tend to travel at approximately 15 mph so as to stay within the 20mph limit, and they hold EVERYBODY up.

This also causes members of the Entitled Generation to expect that they may cross the road in front of any car with no risk whatsoever. They are often appear to be incensed that they are tooted at by drivers who take umbrage at their perusal of their Instagram page whilst crossing the road.

And don't even get me started on cyclists ...

London is slowly grinding to a halt because of this triumvirate of idiocies.

The only place I have a conscience about sticking to the 20mph rule is on Tower Bridge, and that is only because she is a grand old lady who deserves respect.

We should go back to the 30mph thing immediately.
Pep things up a little round here ...

Hellcat + Survive or Perish outlook.

Very Happy

Everything slows as the population grows.

Too many cars and trucks and buses and folks so it causes congestion and casualties.

If we want idyllic peace and calm we need move to the places the immigrants came from. No cars, trucks, buses, and less and less folk. Smile

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 15:34 - 18 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

hellkat wrote:
asian women [...] africans on the next banana boat or minicab drivers of almost every foreign extraction

Jesus, woman, I can only get so hard. Wub

Do the London bizzies actually mug people in the 20 zones then? Last week I lulzed at a ScotPlod van tearing up the "20" zone outside Toilpods Inc, phone visibly glued to face, only to have to brake sharply to not rear-end the clearly visible queue of traffic ahead.

I think we've lost the moral argument on 20 zones, and it's purely a matter of (financial) risk calculation.

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:57 - 18 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

MCN wrote:
If we want idyllic peace and calm we need move to the places the immigrants came from. No cars, trucks, buses, and less and less folk. Smile

But I don't want to move to Al-fucking-bania and become a goat herder Evil or Very Mad

If I wanted peace and calm and idyllic situations, I could move back to NZ, but that is far too close (by about 12000 miles) to my mother.

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:03 - 18 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
Do the London bizzies actually mug people in the 20 zones then?

What is a bizzie?

More fucking slang I haven't learnt.
Is this local Scozzese slang or is it some form of stylised BCF vernacular?

I've attempted my own version of Cockerney rhyming slang on your strange Scootch verbiage, but I haven't managed to decipher it yet.

Possibly due to a lack of patience because its getting dark already, I'm already a third of the way through a can of RedBull, and I still haven't finished this goddamn book.

But also see What has ground my gears today.

*stomps off to find something to throw at a wall in a childish temper*

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:19 - 18 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

He means 5-0.

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:24 - 18 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

hellkat wrote:
Rogerborg wrote:

What is a bizzie?

More fucking slang I haven't learnt.
Is this local Scozzese slang or is it some form of stylised BCF vernacular?

I've attempted my own version of Cockerney rhyming slang on your strange Scootch verbiage, but I haven't managed to decipher it yet.

Possibly due to a lack of patience because its getting dark already, I'm already a third of the way through a can of RedBull, and I still haven't finished this goddamn book.

But also see What has ground my gears today.

*stomps off to find something to throw at a wall in a childish temper*

https://youtu.be/AnkvD8LbE68

iooi
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:38 - 18 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

MCN wrote:
This look like a politically motivated half-the-facts subject.

The theory is sound.

Hitting a child at 20MPH is much much less damaging than hitting a child at 30MPH
'Ye canny change the laws of physics.'

But is people in the area are ill-informed i.e. basically fucking stupid then what can be done to prevent them from Darwinizing themselves?

As RSOPA claim, this is maybe a 'local' phenomenon and the wider use of the zones is proving that 20s are safer in other places.

"A nationwide review of 20mph limits published by the The Royal Society for the Prevention of Accidents (RoSPA) last month concluded: "A large number of evaluation studies have demonstrated a link between the introduction of 20mph zones and a subsequent reduction in casualties. The size of the reductions and the consistency of results over a wide number of areas are further evidence for this link.""

And here is the issue. They think because it is safer in certain places. It has to be run out everywhere...

NOT lets look at the local situation and make the decision based on these facts.

As to the cost? Take down the sign, can leave pole in place and black out a few 20's on the road....

Fact is they are leaving themselves open a being sued now after this report if someone wants to make a few £££. Stating they have failed to act to make the roads safer....

Triton Thrasher
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 20:10 - 18 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha wrote:
He means 5-0.

The bulls.

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:50 - 18 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see some reasons as to why a 20mph might end up having the effect of being less safe than a 30 zone in built up areas.

But I'd argue that it's re-graded 50mph rural main road routes that are far more dangerous IMO. If such roads were 70mph then it would promote better driving, better planning and reading of the road etc.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

dydey90
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:52 - 18 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

hellkat wrote:
We are being held to ransom by stupid scared shitless drivers who have little or no road confidence, predominantly asian women still on P-plates who are scared of just about everything and never disobey anybody,

I drive through Bradford most days I can honestly tell you that nothing strikes more terror into me than Zafira with nothing visible behind the wheel but a pair of knuckles.

On topic though, half the road round my end have just been upgraded with speedbumps* and 20mph limits**.
On the other side of town, my grandmothers street has been reduced to 20mph. The entire street is a row of six 1970's semis, you'd have to heel and toe straight off the throttle to get to 30 and back by the end of the street.

*you'd think they'd take the time to put the fuckers in the same place, but no every road is a slalom now.

**everybody goes 40mph anyway.

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:02 - 18 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:

Someone here got busted in a 20 zone by a bikeplod tucked in a building site pit lane IIRC somewhere in the Barbican area.

Only other one I know of is someone getting done at 3am doing 30-odd over Tower Bridge by the 20mph average speed jobbies.

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

goto10
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:50 - 18 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pete. wrote:
Rogerborg wrote:

Someone here got busted in a 20 zone by a bikeplod tucked in a building site pit lane IIRC somewhere in the Barbican area.

Only other one I know of is someone getting done at 3am doing 30-odd over Tower Bridge by the 20mph average speed jobbies.

Might've been me, I'd had too much caffeine and went a bit cray-cray:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nE8LlNbxVUE

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:10 - 19 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

MCN wrote:
Anyone who complains that 20s in areas where vulnerable children are should re-think their own values.
Spelled out I think driving slower in these areas is much easier than killing a child.

Are you talking about outside schools or across entire boroughs like they've done in London? It makes it more dangerous for everyone, in a 30 mph zone everyone plods along, in a 20 MCNs of this world drive at 20 and hold me up on my bicycle Evil or Very Mad Then I have to watch out for cars overtaking other cars doing 20, something that isn't a problem in 30 mph zones.

As for pedestrians I couldn't give a f**k, f'ing lemmings the lot of them, stay out the road/use crossings if you don't want to get run over.

Rant over.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:18 - 19 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
MCN wrote:

Are you talking about outside schools or across entire boroughs like they've done in London? It makes it more dangerous for everyone, in a 30 mph zone everyone plods along, in a 20 MCNs of this world drive at 20 and hold me up on my bicycle Evil or Very Mad Then I have to watch out for cars overtaking other cars doing 20, something that isn't a problem in 30 mph zones.

As for pedestrians I couldn't give a f**k, f'ing lemmings the lot of them, stay out the road/use crossings if you don't want to get run over.

Rant over.

Don't forget those horrible f**king cyclists. Man, I f**king hate those c**ts!
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:20 - 19 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

dydey90 wrote:
hellkat wrote:
We are being held to ransom by stupid scared shitless drivers who have little or no road confidence, predominantly asian women still on P-plates who are scared of just about everything and never disobey anybody,

I drive through Bradford most days I can honestly tell you that nothing strikes more terror into me than Zafira with nothing visible behind the wheel but a pair of knuckles.

On topic though, half the road round my end have just been upgraded with speedbumps* and 20mph limits**.
On the other side of town, my grandmothers street has been reduced to 20mph. The entire street is a row of six 1970's semis, you'd have to heel and toe straight off the throttle to get to 30 and back by the end of the street.

*you'd think they'd take the time to put the fuckers in the same place, but no every road is a slalom now.

**everybody goes 40mph anyway.

There's something about this post I like.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:23 - 19 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
Don't forget those horrible f**king cyclists. Man, I f**king hate those c**ts!

You wouldn't believe how butthurt cagers get when a cyclist comes past them Laughing

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:25 - 19 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just hate them on principle.

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:31 - 19 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
Then I have to watch out for cars overtaking other cars doing 20, something that isn't a problem in 30 mph zones.

*coughs into her fist*
Ahem, harrrrrumph, I don't know what you can mean by that ...

Shifty

Guilty, moi?
Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

Omega
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 08:22 - 19 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did the 20 zones ever change anything? They paid to put the signs up near me but I've never seen anyone actually enforcing it.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 08:49 - 19 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Triton Thrasher wrote:
trevor saxe-coburg-gotha wrote:
He means 5-0.

The bulls.

Babylon, the Feds, G-Men, see?

andyscooter
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:58 - 19 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
He means 5-0.]
The bulls.]
Babylon, the Feds, G-Men, see?

the fuzz, the pigs ,the filth
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 122 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3