Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Painting bike for the first time

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

BananaLover
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 15:09 - 18 Dec 2017    Post subject: Painting bike for the first time Reply with quote

I purchased a HVLP spray gun and this matt black paint.

I've never done anything like this, but I've been doing quite a bit of research so I don't fail dramatically. I still have a few questions.

I'll be doing two bikes, my old bike first to get the hang of it, and them my current bike. Both bikes have metal tanks and what the rest is more elastic material that reminds plastic but is not. I will also add two white lines from back to front.

1) What grit sandpaper should I be using to get rid of paint. I understand I'd be doing it in increments, but I'm reading quite a lot of different answers.
2) What grit should I use between coats?
3) How much sanding do I need to do? Do I need to roughen up the area or do I need to get off as much as I possibly can?
4) The paint says 3-1 mix ratio, does that mean I'll be adding 3 paint to 1 water or reverse?
5) How long do I need to leave my parts dry before use?

Current plan from my research is as follows, sand off original gloss black paint until it's not shiny (so not all the paint just dull the surface) with light pressure in circular motion using 180 grit, I then apply my first coat, wait for it to not be sticky before sanding it with 600 grit a bit and repeating these steps for all 4-5 coats. I then leave it for 24 hours before I put tape on my parts for the white lines in the centre, and do just 2 coats for that.

How does this sound? Haven't purchased the matt white yet, but I was looking at ordering this.

chris-red
Have you considered a TDM?

PostPosted: 15:22 - 18 Dec 2017    Post subject: Re: Painting bike for the first time Reply with quote

BananaLover wrote:

I've never done anything like this, but I've been doing quite a bit of research so I don't fail dramatically. I still have a few questions.

I'll be doing two bikes, my old bike first to get the hang of it, and them my current bike. Both bikes have metal tanks and what the rest is more elastic material that reminds plastic but is not. I will also add two white lines from back to front.

1) What grit sandpaper should I be using to get rid of paint. I understand I'd be doing it in increments, but I'm reading quite a lot of different answers.
3) How much sanding do I need to do? Do I need to roughen up the area or do I need to get off as much as I possibly can?
4) The paint says 3-1 mix ratio, does that mean I'll be adding 3 paint to 1 water or reverse?

Current plan from my research is as follows, sand off original gloss black paint until it's not shiny (so not all the paint just dull the surface) with light pressure in circular motion using 180 grit, I then apply my first coat, wait for it to not be sticky before sanding it with 600 grit a bit and repeating these steps for all 4-5 coats. I then leave it for 24 hours before I put tape on my parts for the white lines in the centre, and do just 2 coats for that.

How does this sound? Haven't purchased the matt white yet, but I was looking at ordering this.

I'm no expert, but that grits sounds way to low to me. I'd Start with 800, and use 1600/3200 wet between coats. You'll never get a clean finish with 600.

Edit:- Take my advice with a pinch of salt. I've never 'properly' painted anything. However recently I cleaned up my car headlights by sanding/polishing them. I started with 800 and worked up to 6400 then polished it change well but I wouldn't expect anything sanded with 800 to be smooth for paint.

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:32 - 18 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

2k paint is NOT water soluble - at least not the stuff I have come across. It needs to be mixed with a catalyst/hardener - it says that on the amazon listing.

Also 2k is poisonous so risky to paint in an enclosed space without a mask. For a small job I reckon a charcoal filter mask is OK (I used one from 3M once) For regular work you need an air fed mask (expensive).

Finally as well as paint you will want a host of other things like tack cloths and panel wipe an gun wash (maybe the same thing).

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

raesewell
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 19:58 - 18 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

The idea of using "sandpaper" is alarming and I suggest you do a lot more research before you touch the bike.

Get yourself some test material and get lots of practice first.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 20:26 - 18 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

You don't need to sand off as much as possible of the old paint unless it's damaged / starting to flake / etc etc etc, you're just wanting to take the shine off it as the new paint will adhere better to a very slightly roughen surface rather than it does to a perfectly smooth surface.

Each coat of paint only needs to be very thin, do not be in a rush with any of it. With the sanding you need to be in even less of a rush, unless the paintwork or metal work is damaged you're only wanting to sand off a tiny amount. Apply slightly too much paint or be too enthusiastic with the wet & dry and you'll have to spend lots of time making the surface and finish good again.

You can always sand off very very slightly more or apply another really thin coat of paint but the opposite isn't nearly as straight forward. Laughing

You might be able get away with using 600 grit paper before the first coat although if the paint is in a half decent condition then I'd be inclined to use 800. Between coats I'd be using 1000+ and after the final coat use even finer grit paper.

What raesewell says about getting material to practise on is a very sensible idea before you start doing anything to your two bikes.

Patience is your best friend.

Chris45
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 20:41 - 18 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't go anywhere near the bike until you've had plenty of practice on some pieces of metal. I got two old parts from a scrapped bike and practiced using them. As the guys say, do NOT use sandpaper Rolling Eyes . Wet 'n Dry ONLY, and don't use a harsh grade to try and hurry things along. Patience is the key to this job. A lot of guys on here will also tell you to get this, that or the other paint, depending on whether its a full exhibit resto or just to tart up your daily hack. As for me, I use a good quality primer, followed by Halfords undercoat then gloss, followed by a good quality laquer to seal it all. Some will question that no doubt, but I have a very limited budget and a '97 GPz 500 which looks very clean and presentable.

kippyzona
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 21:16 - 18 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

What condition is the paint work? Does it have lacquered over stripes?
If the paint is good , a grey scotchbrite used wet will give it enough of a key.
You want to be as fine as possible at each stage as the paint will have to fill the scratches.
Everything you have mentioned is way too coarse.
Post some pictures up and we will have a better idea of what you need to do.
Also be aware that if you go through the lacquer on the plastic bits the paint you apply may cause shrivelling on the edge of the patch.
As above any water based paint will need a lacquer.
Do you have a well ventilated ,warm ,non damp environment to paint in?

Last edited by kippyzona on 21:25 - 18 Dec 2017; edited 1 time in total

redeem ouzzer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:24 - 18 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don’t spray 2k without the right gear. Exposure to isocyanates even once can ruin your health. Google it. Unfortunately the only way to get a petrol proof finish is with 2k lacquer.

Bikeless
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:38 - 18 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've sprayed a few bikes and car panels in the past,i would seriously get some practice in if your spraying matt finishes,at least with gloss base coat or gloss clear coat you can sand imperfections out and polish.

BananaLover
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 03:14 - 19 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

A100man wrote:
needs to be mixed with a catalyst/hardener

Good to know. The ratio question still stands, 3 paint to 1 hardener, correct? Looked at some options,
unless corrected I'll order this.
A100man wrote:

Also 2k is poisonous so risky to paint in an enclosed space without a mask..

This is the mask I own currently, should this be fine? I didn't realise it's actually dangerous, but I did purchase this specific mask because I saw same one (looks wise anyway) in a guys garage who does paining.

BananaLover
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 03:30 - 19 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm surprised so many people got upset of the idea of sandpaper.
Most of the videos I've seen people used wet sandpaper.
I grabbed this off halfords believeing it's the right stuff.

kippyzona wrote:
What condition is the paint work? Does it have lacquered over stripes?

It doesn't have stripes currently, that's something I plan on adding.
As a total novice I want to say the quality of paint is fine? I don't have any good pictures of the bike but these two, Currently the bike is plasti dipped and the quality of finish just isn't what I wanted it to be. But off my memory there are a lot of light scratches on the tank that can't be seen unless you really look for them (the bike is old).

kippyzona wrote:
Do you have a well ventilated ,warm ,non damp environment to paint in?

I was planning on doing this in my backyard. My mate did his, with a spray can, and it looks really good.

kippyzona
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 08:52 - 19 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are doing it outdoors this really isn’t the time of year.
The paint can attract moisture and it blooms which means it would have a milky finish.
Definitely bin the rubbing paper and get some scotchbrites. All you need to do is dull the existing paint. You can either rub hard and wet with a grey one or lightly with a red one.
Be really careful not to rub through a layer of paint on the plastic bits. You can enter a monumental world of pain if you do. It’s not always going to shrivel up but it’s not worth the aggro so be careful.
The 2 pack lacquer will need about 12 hours to go hard at room temp.
This means taking it indoors. You won’t kill the inhabitants but you will certainly give them some really bad headaches at best.
Honestly , wait til summer.
Just seen that you are using a 2 pack matt black . Just dull the paint using a red scotchbrite. You can do it dry.

andyscooter
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:07 - 19 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

even inside with no proper warmth the paint can bloom

we used to get this a lot working under an archway which also was fairly damp

we had to warm the metal before we could paint it

black was also the hardest colour to get right as a slight bit more paint on one area would show as darker then the other

(I was painting wheelchairs at the time so no massive areas)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:54 - 19 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

A100man wrote:

Also 2k is poisonous so risky to paint in an enclosed space without a mask..

This is the mask I own currently, should this be fine? I didn't realise it's actually dangerous, but I did purchase this specific mask because I saw same one (looks wise anyway) in a guys garage who does paining.[/quote]

It's the sane one I have. Didn't smell any vapour while painting (a car) so I presumed that was a good thing!

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 12:01 - 19 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

BananaLover wrote:
I'm surprised so many people got upset of the idea of sandpaper.

It's fine, it's just BCF Teffing out and trying to turn it some esoteric process that you will never, ever be as expert in as BCF, evar.

Scuff up the paint a bit then and get spraying. You'll get it right and win, or get it wrong and learn.

The only thing I would stress is: don't rush it. Or rush it.

Put each layer on top of still wet paint (don't do this because you're not as expert as BCF and it will run), or on top of dry paint. Nothing in between.

Other than that, it's just a case of hitting it with paint, removing your mistakes, and repeating until you've got a layer with no mistakes.

Lacquer takes weeks to cure fully.

BananaLover
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 14:41 - 19 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

kippyzona wrote:

If you are doing it outdoors this really isn’t the time of year.

Be really careful not to rub through a layer of paint on the plastic bits. You can enter a monumental world of pain if you do.

Just dull the paint using a red scotchbrite. You can do it dry.

My mate did it outside and it looks pretty good.

How will I know when I've rubbed enough off? Just as soon as shine is gone?

Rogerborg wrote:

Scuff up the paint a bit then and get spraying. You'll get it right and win, or get it wrong and learn.

it's just a case of hitting it with paint, removing your mistakes, and repeating until you've got a layer with no mistakes.

I like this method, that's the plan I had initially. How would you go about correcting mistakes? Just wet sand it even and try again?
Rogerborg wrote:

Put each layer on top of still wet paint (don't do this because you're not as expert as BCF and it will run), or on top of dry paint. Nothing in between.

I'm sensing sarcasm about BCF part, but I genuinely have no experience. I read about waiting just 10 minutes between coats, does that sound correct?

rpsmith79
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:00 - 19 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

BananaLover wrote:
Both bikes have metal tanks and what the rest is more elastic material that reminds plastic but is not.

I'm more intrigued as to what bike you have that is made out of metal and elastic, that reminds you of plastic

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 15:09 - 19 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

BananaLover wrote:
I read about waiting just 10 minutes between coats, does that sound correct?

Nope.

That'll still be wet. It'll run. Robosprayer can do wet-on-wet, professionals maybe, BCF can of course do it, but not you or I.

Leave each coat at least several hours, in the warm. Do not for the love of allah try and sand off any mistakes while it's still wet, or you'll make a gritty, sticky mess, like a sunblock handjob on the beach.

A warm weekend is about the minimum I'd plan in for doing a half decent job (which is all I've ever done). At wintersolsticee'enmass, I have no idea, but I'd be using active heating to dry it off.

kippyzona
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 22:08 - 19 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
My mate did it outside and it looks pretty good.

How will I know when I've rubbed enough off? Just as soon as shine is gone?

Bung him a few quid and get him to do it.
Yes,just dull the paint.
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:29 - 19 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

With normal aerosol paints, you would always use the add several light coats one after the other before the part dries. Every 5min or so I would keep adding another light coat until satisfied. That's my only painting experience and it's worked for me ok.

Roger is right that you or I know nothing, but BCF are always flawless prestige auto refinishing experts.

I also wouldn't spray paint anything outdoors in this weather. Warm dry sunny days are your friend for outdoor painting.

Final piece of advice that no one will be brave enough to suggest, as it will question your manhood.
But if your after a really great finish on something and are not planning on painting or restoring things very often, along with all the expense of buying the right kit from ground zero up, then strongly consider paying a professional for such services.

Some forums I frequent are very bitch slappy about your can't build or restore a bike/car unless you take on every task yourself, and unless you do your a sub human organism of very limited significance.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 23:52 - 19 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevo as b4 wrote:
Every 5min or so I would keep adding another light coat until satisfied.

If you're going to do wet on wet, I'd stress the importance of light coats, for which you need a fine mist and no spatters.

I guess there's an argument to be made for just going for it, then if / when you get a run, leave it to dry then sand it off. It'll still probably work out quicker than leaving each layer to dry like us careful now types do.

What works for your base, paint and conditions will be what works for your base, paint and conditions. Just do eeeet.

Shaft
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:11 - 20 Dec 2017    Post subject: Re: Painting bike for the first time Reply with quote

BananaLover wrote:

Jesus, where to begin!

OK, health warning first - 2K (AKA 2 pack) paint is farking dangerous shizzle - some people are exposed to it for years with no problems, some people get an instant alergic reaction and go into respiratory shock; it should be used in a very well ventilated area, but having a stiff breeze whistling through your paint zone isn't ideal, which is why painters use air fed masks in booths with industrial strength filters and extractors.

Your choice dude, but I wouldn't do it.

The paint you have bought clearly says it is ready mixed, 3 parts paint to 1 part thinners - sounds a bit thick to me, but could be right. You will be needing some compatible thinners anyway (for cleaning your equipment) so you can thin it if you need, some practice painting will be required.

You will also be needing compatible hardener, without that, it will literally never dry.

2K cures by chemical reaction (although it does also require a reasonable temperature to accelerate the process) so without the catalyst, it stays liquid forever.

You linked to some white aerosol paint, but it doesn't say if it's compatible with 2K - if it isn't, you will get a reaction, probably requiring stripping everything back and starting again. Better to buy some white paint that's the same as the black.

Keying the surface of your existing panels should be done with 800 grit paper, or a Scotchbrite pad - using 180 grit is equivalent to rubbing it with a house brick.

When it comes to painting, allow each coat to flash off (10-15 minutes max, at an ambient temp of around 60) but don't allow coats to dry completely - the idea is, each successive coat partially dissolves the one before, allowing everything to flow together, giving an even finish and depth.

You have two big issues with the finish and colours you have chosen.

Firstly, matte finishes don't lend themselves to having imperfections flatted out - once you've flatted it, then you need to polish out your flatting marks, then you don't have a matte finish.

Secondly, white doesn't easily cover black, so you have two choices - either mask up the stripes first, then paint one colour, remask and paint the other, or paint the white first, mask and paint the black.

For masking the edges of the stripes, you will need fineline tape - ordinary masking tape will leave a frilly edge and possible colour bleed.

Either way, you will finish up with a step which will need to be flatted - see point one.

An easier way would be to use gloss base coats (which you can flat and polish as much as you like) then bury the lot in matte clear lacquer.

Whatever you do, your last coat needs to be flawless - see earlier point, again.

Ignore everything if you don't mind wobbly edges and an uneven finish, just don't ignore the health warning, that's pretty bloody important.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 121 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1