Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Brexit and Defence ?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:35 - 20 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

asta1 wrote:
the older generation still genuinely believe that Britain is this great, top tier nation, the leader of the world, and everyone aspires to be like us.

Must be true though. Otherwise, why would everyone else want to come here? Laughing
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:42 - 20 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
asta1 wrote:
the older generation still genuinely believe that Britain is this great, top tier nation, the leader of the world, and everyone aspires to be like us.

Must be true though. Otherwise, why would everyone else want to come here? Laughing

Also, does this mean the younger generation believe that Britain is a crap, bottom tier nation, the follower of the world, and no one wants to be like us? Sad I feel sorry for you lot Laughing Anyway, you could always just fuck off somewhere else, since you don't believe in your ability to improve things yourselves Razz

What I can't understand is, with all these wonderful facts the information generation have at their fingertips, why can't they improve things?
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

asta1
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 17:13 - 20 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:

Also, does this mean the younger generation believe that Britain is a crap, bottom tier nation, the follower of the world, and no one wants to be like us? Sad I feel sorry for you lot Laughing Anyway, you could always just fuck off somewhere else, since you don't believe in your ability to improve things yourselves Razz

I'd like to think I'm fairly pragmatic about the whole thing. Do I think Britain is crap? Not at all, its a strong, first world nation with a good economy, an open and encouraging environment for business and generally good people. I like living here and whilst I'll explore my options, I have no immediate plan to leave.

However, I also accept that we are not as we once were, the leader of the free world. Do I think we can stand toe to toe with America, China, even Russia in todays world? Honestly, no. We have a place in todays world. It's definitely an important one, but I don't really believe that we can just dictate what we want and everyone will just blindly follow along. Those days have past.

As for Brexit, I really don't have any strong opinions. Maybe it'll be better, maybe it'll be worse. There don't seem to be too many concrete facts on the matter and the vote is cast, so we'll just have to see how it goes. Personally I don't think much'll change really. Maybe we'll be marginally better, could be marginally worse. For the average joe on the street? Meh.

Itchy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:32 - 20 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
Also, does this mean the younger generation believe that Britain is a crap,

No merely that the opportunities given to the prior generations are not available to them. Pensions, housing, education etc all the big important things.

The boomer generation saw fit to pull the ladder up after they went up it. They look at the unimportant things like phones and computers and think they're whining.

A very simple question to ask is if you were 17 now would the steps you took to get where you are now get you to a similar position?

The divide is quite stark. Polarbear for instance talks about his time in the Merchant navy and ship building... um what ship building industry?

Or dockers, containerisation eliminated most docker jobs.

chickenstrip wrote:
What I can't understand is, with all these wonderful facts the information generation have at their fingertips, why can't they improve things?

Because those who have 'won' or those who have benefited massively have a self vested interest in keeping things the way they are.

Pensions are costing about 35% of the entire UK government budget. And no they didn't pay anything meaningful compared to what they receive. This is set to rise to around 45%

Yet any suggestion of touching this is met with howls of indignation. For instance a few years ago maybe we ought to give free bus passes to the young so they can find work.

Follow the logic.

If the young can find work easier = they pay taxes.

If they pay taxes then their taxes will pay for spending on the ponzi pension scheme.

chickenstrip wrote:
and no one wants to be like us?

There is something called the expectation gap. There is something called Paris Syndrome.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paris_syndrome

Japanese tourists in their mind have a certain image of Paris. Reality does not meet these expectations.

Many people expect one thing when reality is very different. The UK has an incredibly good PR machine and soft power machine. So many people around the world think that everybody in the UK is a gentleman, bowler hats and politeness.

Yet are those things representative of chav sink estates?
Spain 2008France 2007Big one 2009 We all die. The goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will. In the end, your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:46 - 20 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Itchy wrote:
Blah, blah, blah

So do something about it. Take matters into your own hands, instead of just blaming older generations for the fix you're in. Change things! Us old folks (lol) can't do everything for you, our time is nearly done.

As it happens, I didn't vote in the referendum for just this reason (and I ain't even that old!). It's not for me to decide the future of this country, especially as I don't have kids who will have to live in it either. It's no good just going onto social media and just pointing the finger and whining. Stop surrendering to "the facts". Act! You consider yourselves to be smart, don't you?

Ffs Rolling Eyes

Sun Wukong
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:47 - 20 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

asta1 wrote:

As for Brexit, I really don't have any strong opinions. Maybe it'll be better, maybe it'll be worse. There don't seem to be too many concrete facts on the matter and the vote is cast, so we'll just have to see how it goes. Personally I don't think much'll change really. Maybe we'll be marginally better, could be marginally worse. For the average joe on the street? Meh.

Pretty much my view, but the volatility in the pound can fuck right off.

Quote:
Those you call inferior didn't better themselves so they felt less inferior. They tried to better themselves so they could make improvements in their own lives. They didn't go out and learn just any old thing so they could wow people with lists of facts they could reel out at parties. They tried to learn things that would make a practical difference to their lives, to their situation.

Why should I care if you think yourself better than me? Doesn't help me in any way, nor does it motivate me to try to become as smart as you are. Happiness doesn't necessarily come from being a smart-arse.

I made an effort not to point that at either you, or myself. Or at least I tried to.

In general, smart people lead to wealth of nations. Why knock them for being smart? I just never got it.

The only reason could be insecurity. Nothing else makes any sense.

Ok, so better yourselves may not be the best way to phrase it, but it's similar to people in poor physical shape trying to mock physically fit people... like it's a failing.

It's egregious.

asta1
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 17:48 - 20 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
asta1 wrote:

Um. mostly because of all the things the stereotypical brexiter wants to abolish?

Welfare state, open borders, our treatment of refugees, free movement of people and employment for EUians. Are you saying that these are the things that make us a great nation? I thought they were literal Hitler?

Itchy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:54 - 20 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
So do something about it. Take matters into your own hands, instead of just blaming older generations for the fix you're in. Change things! Us old folks (lol) can't do everything for you, our time is nearly done.

Who says I haven't done anything? Nobody said I have to be altruistic about it.

The issue is of course what works for the individual does not work for society.

There is talk for instance of more STEM. Yet if everybody is in STEM then it just saturates this area. 150 years ago reading and writing was a top tier skill. Today it's common and 80% of the population can read and write. Therefore there is no premium attached to it like there was.
Spain 2008France 2007Big one 2009 We all die. The goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will. In the end, your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.

Last edited by Itchy on 17:55 - 20 Dec 2017; edited 1 time in total

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:54 - 20 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

asta1 wrote:
Um. mostly because of all the things the stereotypical brexiter wants to abolish?

Welfare state, open borders, our treatment of refugees, free movement of people and employment for EUians.Are you saying that these are the things that make us a great nation? I thought they were literal Hitler?

No, I'm no extremist Smile
My post was (partially) tongue-in-cheek. But I do think we should be able to control our own immigration levels, and decide for ourselves who can come in and who can't, especially after Merkel's cock-ups on the subject. That did worry me, rightly or wrongly. If I had voted in the referendum, I can't say truthfully that this wouldn't have influenced my decision, but it wouldn't have been the main thing that decided which way I went.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:58 - 20 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Itchy wrote:

Who says I haven't done anything?

What have you done?

asta1
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 18:05 - 20 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:

No, I'm no extremist Smile
My post was (partially) tongue-in-cheek. But I do think we should be able to control our own immigration levels, and decide for ourselves who can come in and who can't, especially after Merkel's cock-ups on the subject. That did worry me, rightly or wrongly. If I had voted in the referendum, I can't say truthfully that this wouldn't have influenced my decision, but it wouldn't have been the main thing that decided which way I went.

Ah, apologies. I always forget that despite bnp72s screeching, not everyone which is generally pro brexit is a swivelly eyed racist.

I must admit I mostly agree on your point about immigration, I just have no confidence whatsoever that it'll actually happen even if we do Brexit.

I mean, call me jaded, but we haven't even gone to the bother to track it properly at the moment even though we are entirely allowed to under current EU regs, anything we try to implement on that score will be both expensive and vocally resisted by a decent sized minority of sjws, plus I don't think any of our current crop of politicians have the balls to deal with the fallout even if they did have the power to dictate that policy.

To be honest thats my main issue with Brexit, I just don't think anything will actually change when it's cheaper and easier to just continue the status quo (which means just continuing to accept all EU regs either way). So really we may as well just have carried on as we were and paid our EU subs.

Still, at least it'll stave off the apocalypse that the remainers keep promising.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:09 - 20 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Itchy wrote:

Yet are those things representative of chav sink estates?

Are "chav sink estates" representative of the UK?

Im-a-Ridah
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:18 - 20 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
Sun Wukong wrote:

In China, Saturday night television is kids doing mental arithmetic or reading passionate political speeches.
We have z-list celebrities eating things, squealing and getting their tits out.

I too despise Saturday (and much other) tv in the UK. But imo, life shouldn't all be the serious stuff. Life is made up of more things. Ever heard of fun? I ride (used to Rolling Eyes ) motorcycles. Shock, horror, it's not something I did to learn anything. I just did it for the fun.
Just an opinion, mind. If you want to be serious for every waking moment, cramming more facts into your head at every opportunity, I won't stop you.

Just to add some balance though, have you heard of BBC4? Wink

Mental arithmetic is totally obsolete (see "calculator"). Where maths is actually useful (i.e engineering and physics) is about thinking in terms of maths, not so much actually doing equations.

Sun Wukong
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:45 - 20 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im-a-Ridah wrote:

Mental arithmetic is totally obsolete (see "calculator"). Where maths is actually useful (i.e engineering and physics) is about thinking in terms of maths, not so much actually doing equations.

Knowing things is obsolete (see "Google")

It's useful when it comes to actually getting shit done though.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:51 - 20 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sun Wukong wrote:
Im-a-Ridah wrote:

It's knowing the things that are relevant to your life/job/situation that counts. Just "knowing stuff"...well, like I said, if that's what floats yer boat.

Im-a-Ridah
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:16 - 20 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sun Wukong wrote:
Im-a-Ridah wrote:

Indeed knowing specifics is generally obsolete, hence why we use things like books and computers. Knowing where to find the information and how to apply it is more important than remembering the information itself. It's not about being lazy, it actually makes people far more efficient in doing their jobs.
- This post is not being displayed because it has a low rating (Abusive). Unhide this post / all posts.

asta1
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 20:36 - 20 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpd72 wrote:

So we should all sell up and give our wealth to Eastern Europe yes?

You first Tarquin.

Not really sure where you got that impression from? Even if I did support those things (which I'm not really sure I do), why is that in any way selling up and giving away our wealth?

Just don't follow you at all on that one...

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:43 - 20 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://i.imgflip.com/21fiti.jpg
- This post is not being displayed because it has a low rating (Abusive). Unhide this post / all posts.

asta1
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 00:45 - 21 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpd72 wrote:

Merge everyone into a closer union and the wealth gets distributed from the richer countries to the poorer countries.
Did you not realise that this is what the EU does?

Charging the richer countries to subsidise the poorer ones, whilst retaining freedom of movement, so the population of the poorer countries can also access the more generous benefits systems of richer countries.

So I ask again, how dos that affect me?

It's exchange of money on a county wide scale maybe, but why would I care about that? Lets say that really happens as you say on a meaningful timescale (which based on a paltry few billion a year it wont). Why would I care? Once I've been taxed I dont care what happens to the money, I've already been robbed. Give it to the idle poor in Britain or the idle poor in Romania. No difference. I'd care much more about Brexit if it'd actually lower taxes for me (which it wont).

Plus, lets not forget, I'm not that invested in Britain anyway. If it gets really bad I can just bail. There are plenty of countries where my skills are in demand and the company I'm most likely to work for after graduation actively wants me to go to the US, so again, why should I care?

Val
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 04:36 - 21 Dec 2017    Post subject: Re: Brexit and Defence ? Reply with quote

toby1 wrote:
It was reported the other day that the defence budget will be some £7 billion short. So we compromise our Country's defence and make enforced cuts.

Then we promise that cnut Junker £40 billion+ Twisted Evil

Worlds gone mad Rolling Eyes

Agree completely Brexit is the most stupid thing UK has done like ever.

What are you planning to do about that eh?

According to Rog what has been voted cannot be unvoted. Cause of the children.

Good luck when the 47 million turks come ere to rape you in the bum cause of the missing £7 billions for the Navy to stop them Thumbs Up

Im-a-Ridah
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:27 - 21 Dec 2017    Post subject: Re: Brexit and Defence ? Reply with quote

Val wrote:
toby1 wrote:
It was reported the other day that the defence budget will be some £7 billion short. So we compromise our Country's defence and make enforced cuts.

Then we promise that cnut Junker £40 billion+ Twisted Evil

Worlds gone mad Rolling Eyes

Agree completely Brexit is the most stupid thing UK has done like ever.

What are you planning to do about that eh?

According to Rog what has been voted cannot be unvoted. Cause of the children.

Good luck when the 47 million turks come ere to rape you in the bum cause of the missing £7 billions for the Navy to stop them Thumbs Up

How would they Navy prevent that? The EU wants to let everyone in, including all the rapists from Islamic countries.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 12:59 - 21 Dec 2017    Post subject: Re: Brexit and Defence ? Reply with quote

Val wrote:
According to Rog what has been voted cannot be unvoted.

Quote me, please.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 126 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3