Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Bandit 650 bogging on motorway

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

S1417
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 15:39 - 21 Dec 2017    Post subject: Bandit 650 bogging on motorway Reply with quote

I have a k6 Bandit 650 (last of the carbed oil cooled ones). It runs perfectly everywhere apart from the motorway.

It will start off running fine and then all of a sudden bog down and struggle to maintain 50mph. The faster I've been cruising at the quicker it seems to bog down but will still do it even if I stick to 70. The only way I've found to get it running properly again is to stop and either turn it off for a few minutes or to let it sit with the choke on (it dies without choke - sounds like it's not running on all 4).

I suspected carb icing as it seemed to be more of a problem the other day riding through very cold fog, however I've read these bikes aren't usually too susceptible to it as they have carb heaters and even then don't really need them as there's enough heat off the engine. (Not sure how true this is?).

The only other thing I thought might be a part of the issue is it is currently on a 47bhp restrictor carb washer style but I've never heard of these kits causing this problem.

Anyone got any ideas?

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:32 - 21 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fuel starvation? Does your fuel tap have PRIme position? If so, try it. That'll by-pass the vacuum tap. I had this issue on my GPz550, when riding it ''slow'' was fine, but when I wanted a bit more speed from the bike, the engine started to have difficulties and eventually stalled.

Other thing to check is the tank breather. Do you by any chance have a tank-bag on your bike? Does it cover the fuel cap?

Also, did you put any fuel filters on the bike? Some engines require a very high fuel flow to feed the carbs at high revs. Once again, one of the issues I've noticed after putting a aftermarket fuel filter on the GPz. If there already is a fuel filter, check it's not too restrictive / dirty.

Cbs2
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 17:33 - 21 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check your fuel strainer
Not sure about a bandit, I've got a gsxf650 (mostly a bandit)
They bog down when grabbing a handful.
Heard a few people say it's the fuel strainer on the fuel pump clogging up.
Might be worth checking

temeluchus
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:59 - 21 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try draining the float bowls first in case a lot of water has worked its way in.

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:39 - 21 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you're right about carb icing, they sound like classic symptoms. My ZX6R has carb heat too (plumbing which passes warm coolant around the carburettors) but it still suffers from icing sometimes. I've used Silkolene Pro FST in the petrol and I believe it helped. It's a bit pricey but the active ingredient is an alcohol (iso-propanol or propan-2-ol). It lowers the freezing point of water.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 99 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1