View previous topic : View next topic  

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:25 - 22 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

oldpink wrote:
I refuse to celebrate Christmas as I don't believe in christ
since my kids were over the age of 18 I stopped buying pressies
I don't send cards
the tree is still in the box in the cupboard but the Mrs will put it up in a day or so

only thing I enjoy about Dec 25th is I get to cook a large family meal
and the Mrs can't moan if I have a few beers in the afternoon Laughing

I've not given a present to anyone in over 6 years
I tell people not to buy one for me, I don't shave so don't need smellies, I don't wear Boxers and I wear Boot socks
so that rules out the normal sh*t that I got Laughing

FFS!!! Lots of 'smellies' now-a-days are not 'aftershave'. Shocked

Get out of that bubble that you are living in. Even if it's only for Christmas. Laughing

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:29 - 22 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

MCN wrote:

Get out of that bubble that you are living in. Even if it's only for Christmas. Laughing

Why? I like my bubble.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 15:36 - 22 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is exactly why I'm happy to celebrate Yule, Saturnalia and any other pagan festival and I might occasionally call it Christmas.

If Jesus WAS a real person (which he may have been, but probably mentally ill rather than the actual son of god) then he was born in the middle of the year, not near the end.

Meh, people do hypocritical things all the time. As people have said, I'm glad of the time off of work.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:00 - 22 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

goto10 wrote:
That's exactly the point of it, a festival to celebrate the fact that we've had the shortest day of the year and we're on the return to longer days, the path to spring and to break up the drudgery of the cold miserable weather.

Are we? Smile January, February are usually worse. It's 12 degrees today, and it's sometimes warmer.

MarJay wrote:
As people have said, I'm glad of the time off of work.

Not everyone does, and not everyone works in an industry which gets to effectively shut down for two weeks.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:04 - 22 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
goto10 wrote:
That's exactly the point of it, a festival to celebrate the fact that we've had the shortest day of the year and we're on the return to longer days, the path to spring and to break up the drudgery of the cold miserable weather.

Are we? Smile January, February are usually worse. It's 12 degrees today, and it's sometimes warmer.

MarJay wrote:

Not everyone does, and not everyone works in an industry which gets to effectively shut down for two weeks.

Tsk! So much negativity!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=54oqYyy_r_Q
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 16:09 - 22 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
MarJay wrote:

I'm aware of this, I've worked in those industries, and my current industry does the same. I'm just lucky this year. However, I don't see what that has got do do with the religious element of Christmas? Any opportunity for time off is good for me, and if I don't get it? Too bad. It has nothing to do with Christ or fictional deities.

Tracey Suntan-King
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:13 - 22 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Christmas NEVER gets tired for me, always been the same.

It's an excuse for a new frock, sparkly shoes, nice food, lots of booze and you get presents! What's not to like?

Sid however, like many other posters here, turns from his normal suntanny disposition into the Grinch at Christmas, so nowadays I have to give out twice as much Christmas cheer to compensate.

Somehow though, my christmassyness makes him even grinchier Wub Wub Laughing Laughing Christmas Hat

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:15 - 22 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tracey Suntan-King wrote:

Sid however, like many other posters here, turns from his normal suntanny disposition into the Grinch at Christmas, so nowadays I have to give out twice as much Christmas cheer to compensate.

I see what he did there Wink

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:25 - 22 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:
I'm aware of this, I've worked in those industries, and my current industry does the same. I'm just lucky this year. However, I don't see what that has got do do with the religious element of Christmas? Any opportunity for time off is good for me, and if I don't get it? Too bad. It has nothing to do with Christ or fictional deities.

Well school holidays are loosely related to the baby Jebus (2 weeks off for Easter and at Christmas), Good Friday, Easter Monday etc.. Personally I like the time off at Easter, but Christmas rather ruins Christmas for me. I mean who really wants to spend time with their family?

Howling Terror
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:33 - 22 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^^Loosely being the operative word what with Easter derived from the pagan god Estre(sp).

Blue passports...what's all that about then?

Last edited by Howling Terror on 16:53 - 22 Dec 2017; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:49 - 22 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fuck Baby Jesus and Fuck Santa.

Just a matter of a day or so when you have even nicer treats than usual. Cool

Two of my favourites being flavoured double cream, and salmon pate Wub

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:55 - 22 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Howling Terror wrote:
^^^Loosely being he operative word what with Easter derived from the pagan god Estre(sp).

Blue passports...what's all that about then?

You mean the baby jebus didn't die then come back to life? Shocked

Do people know about this?

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:02 - 22 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

MCN wrote:
FFS!!! Lots of 'smellies' now-a-days are not 'aftershave'

Holy shit.
I knew I liked you for a reason.

oldpink
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:33 - 22 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

MCN wrote:

FFS!!! Lots of 'smellies' now-a-days are not 'aftershave'. Shocked

yeah I know that but most smell like a tarts handbag
I prefer to pick my own deodorant Thumbs Up

Theory & hazard 24-may 2016, CBT 8th June 2016, MOD 1 2nd Aug 2016 Mod 2 2nd-Nov 2016 - Current bike CBR 600 RR
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:31 - 22 Dec 2017    Post subject: Re: The celebration of Christmas Reply with quote

Diggs wrote:
Personally I think that it should be against the law to celebrate 'Christmas' unless you genuinely believe in the Christian version of God, have been 'dipped' in a sink by a vicar and go to church regularly.

Personally I think that it should be against the law to celebrate the midwinter solstice unless if you believe in the Christian version of God, have been 'dipped' in a sink by a vicar and go to church regularly.

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125

-Monty-
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:51 - 22 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I enjoy the day itself and a few free days off work. Can't stand the nearing 2 month run up to it though.

As a couple of others have said, it's a nice way to break up winter.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:17 - 22 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

3 more days and I can buy next years wrapping paper cheap Thumbs Up

biker7
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 21:18 - 22 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

We don't do Christmas in our house which is ok cos neither of us like it that much. Still it's only 2 days and everyone else catches us up again. But, for those of you who do, happy Monday! Laughing

BTTD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:06 - 22 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love Christmas at my mums, less so at the inlaws.
At the inlaws it's all about everyone participating, party games, and no tv. The food is okay, mother in law hates cooking. Brother in laws wife wore ripped jeans and a t shirt last year.
At my mum's the food is great and plentiful, morning is for opening presents, coffee, sherry, whisky, nibbles. Massive lunch, then relax in front of the tv. Have a little snooze if you fancy / can get left alone by the kids for 5 minutes. Laughing Everyone makes the effort to dress smartly.

goto10
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:32 - 23 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

jnw010 wrote:
blablablabla...Brother in laws wife wore ripped jeans and a t shirt last year...blablabla

Pics.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:53 - 23 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

goto10 wrote:
jnw010 wrote:
blablablabla...Brother in laws wife wore ripped jeans and a t shirt last year...blablabla

Pics.

Exactly, it sounded like a complaint Razz Party games and/or sing-alongs are followed by me promptly leaving Thumbs Up

Poseidon
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:59 - 23 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

How very hipster to be against any form of religion and hating celebrations associated with them. It's why despite not believing in any form of omnipotent being, I've never described myself as an atheist. I don't want to be thrown in with those dull fuckers who walk around in skinny jeans and where's wally glasses.

Personally, I love Christmas. Presents, Christmas songs, people wishing random strangers well, presents, nice food and drink and twinkly lights everywhere. Not that I have to justify celebrating a religious festival, but just for shits and giggles, I celebrate it because historically we always have in this country. Even before jesus was born (as HT and others have pointed out) this time of year was one for celebration.

And despite not being a religious sort, I have respect for others who believe in such things and will happily join in with their celebrations if they ask me to. I've eaten Jewish food for Hanukkah, gorged myself on amazing food for Eid with my Muslim friends, danced and partied for Diwali and whilst not a religious event, I regularly watch American football and eat turkey and yams etc for thanksgiving, despite me not being an American.

It baffles me why people get so uptight about others celebrating something they don't believe in. If you don't want to partake in the festivities, then don't. It's simple enough. That said, I do love the irony of the hipster pricks I know who bad mouth Christmas and set about trying to spoil everyone else's fun in the name of atheism, who then go out and get pissed on Guinness every march 17th Rolling Eyes . If I cared enough, I might've pointed it out the irony to them.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:46 - 23 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poseidon wrote:

Personally, I love Christmas...Christmas songs

That's just poor taste.

Poseidon
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:02 - 23 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't help but join in when old shakey starts doing his thing...

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:26 - 23 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poseidon wrote:
Can't help but join in when old shakey starts doing his thing...

I read today somewhere that he's still worth 15 million. Shocked
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 96 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4