Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Just passed my CBT.

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Jamieking86
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 17:54 - 21 Dec 2017    Post subject: Just passed my CBT. Reply with quote

Hi guys, so I don't know who saw my post from last week that I fell off the bike on my CBT, snapped the clutch lever and couldn't carry on. Well I took it again this aft and pleased to say I've got my certificate. I was nervous as hell and struggled a bit with the figure of 8 etc, then when he said right you fancy going on the road? I was like oh hell I'm so nervous but obviously said let's do it. Once I was out their i can honestly say everything just clicked, he even told me to slow down a few times as I was too far ahead for the other guy learning Very Happy I wasn't speeding by the way.
But once I was out their it was just fricking awesome and I'm over the moon.

Not sure what to do next though, my plan was to get a 125 and play around on that for a bit, learn some more etc but my instructor said the way I was riding I'd get bored of it very quick. I do plan on doing my DAS eventually on a bigger bike but as I'm a self employed gardener work and money quite tight this time of year, although I do have funds to pay finance on a 125cc. Decisions Decisions?

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:24 - 21 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

First things first - congratulations and well done.

Second things second - financing a new 125 when you already know you want to go full licence route would be a terrible decision. I couldn't endorse that at all.

Getting a 125 for a bit no issues if that's what you want. Buy one that has strong enough resale value and you won't lose much, with the exception of your insurance costs which you'll probably find when you do pass your test, you get a bit taken over a barrel with any cancellation return premium.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Jamieking86
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 18:32 - 21 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

arry wrote:
First things first - congratulations and well done.

Second things second - financing a new 125 when you already know you want to go full licence route would be a terrible decision. I couldn't endorse that at all.

Getting a 125 for a bit no issues if that's what you want. Buy one that has strong enough resale value and you won't lose much, with the exception of your insurance costs which you'll probably find when you do pass your test, you get a bit taken over a barrel with any cancellation return premium.

Thank you mate Smile

Yes i have considered that option. I've seen a YBR125 2016, 6000 miles, it still has 4 months warranty from yamaha, he'll take £1750 for it. I have taken into account once it's paid off i will be able to sell it at more or less the same price, give or take £200-£300? As long as i dont prang or drop it of course, then buy something bigger and better once I've got my test out of the way and more experience etc. So technically I'm hoping i won't be losing much money at all.

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:47 - 21 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup, or go even cheaper. I bought the wife a 2008 YBR for 800 quid and sold it 2 years and 3k miles later for 50 quid less. Learner bike prices are climbing really - because the cost of new bikes is now too great for the short time you'd own the thing.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 18:52 - 21 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

woo yay etc

The bad news is you're in for another Teffing. Razz

Jamieking86
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 19:06 - 21 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
woo yay etc

The bad news is you're in for another Teffing. Razz

Already geared myself up for that mate before I posted Razz

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 22:59 - 21 Dec 2017    Post subject: Re: Just passed my CBT. Reply with quote

Before you put a penny down on a 125, blag a go on a bigger bike. It'll make your mind up sharpish.

If you ignore this advice and buy a 125, then do not even look at a bigger bike until you're ready to get your license and buy one.
AldridgePrior This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

Jamieking86
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 07:56 - 23 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your helpful advice guys as always.

After having a bit of a think i have decided to go ahead and buy myself a 125 so i can practice and learn etc. Went to see one yesterday and it was immaculate, still under warranty from yamaha, low mileage, great colour, as soon as i saw it my mind was made up. Hope I've made the right decision but i feel the best way to learn is to get out their myself with no following instructions from my instructor with an earpiece etc. It's getting delivered sometime this morning, i am actually quite bloody excited Laughing

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 09:29 - 23 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

YBR, right?

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:58 - 23 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jamieking86 wrote:
Thanks for your helpful advice guys as always.

After having a bit of a think i have decided to go ahead and buy myself a 125 so i can practice and i feel the best way to learn is to get out their myself

My pennies worth would be: don’t be to eager to get out on main A-roads to start with.
Spend a few hour on the minor roads to start with and once you are familiar with the bike and it’s characteristics and your own riding characteristics, then go for bigger roads.

Cbs2
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 11:34 - 23 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't heap too much pressure on yourself to start with.
Pick an industrial estate near you, preferably with a few side streets and junctions in it away from main roads.
Practice your routines for junctions etc away from other road users for an hour or two.
And get used to cancelling your signals. My Cbt instructor always told me 3 presses of the switch to cancel. It's a habit I've still got today.
This helps you get the feel of the bike without worrying about mr transit van behind you

Enjoy the bike

pinkyfloyd
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:33 - 23 Dec 2017    Post subject: Re: Just passed my CBT. Reply with quote

Jamieking86 wrote:
I was nervous as hell and struggled a bit with the figure of 8 etc, then when he said right you fancy going on the road?
?

No U turn? No braking exercise? No E stop?

Just curious as it is part of the CBT Syllabus and the school MUST include it. This includes a U turn and E stop on the road ride too.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:08 - 23 Dec 2017    Post subject: Re: Just passed my CBT. Reply with quote

pinkyfloyd wrote:

Just curious as it is part of the CBT Syllabus and the school MUST include it. This includes a U turn and E stop on the road ride too.

Yeah I think the quality of CBTs vary Laughing

Jamieking86
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 19:06 - 23 Dec 2017    Post subject: Re: Just passed my CBT. Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
pinkyfloyd wrote:

Yeah I think the quality of CBTs vary Laughing

First off yes its a YBR 125 guys, it's immaculate ill try take some piccies and post them up Very Happy

We didn't do the U-turn but yes we did braking exercises, like changing up to 2nd gear, then braking, clicking down to 1st gear and try coming to a controlled stop. Didn't do U-turns as we was literally going round in circles for like 2 hours to try get a feel of the handling and feathering the clutch etc. Plus with it getting dark earlier and me failing my CBT the week before, he said I really want you to get your CBT done today, which was fair enough and nice of him lol. He did say if your uncomfortable going on the roads we can do it another day, but didn't want to do that Smile

pinkyfloyd
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:25 - 23 Dec 2017    Post subject: Re: Just passed my CBT. Reply with quote

Jamieking86 wrote:

We didn't do the U-turn ........., he said I really want you to get your CBT done today, which was fair enough and nice of him lol.

So it was fair enough for your school to disregard elements of the CBT just to get you through?

Fair enough.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/compulsory-basic-training-cbt-syllabus-and-guidance-notes/element-c-practical-on-site-riding

Quote:
What must happen
The learner must receive suitable instruction, demonstrations and coaching to allow them to carry out each of the following manoeuvres safely and under full control:

moving away
riding slowly
riding in a straight line and coming to a controlled stop
riding a figure of eight
carrying out a u-turn
bringing their vehicle to a stop in an emergency
carrying out simulated left and right hand turns

This is why there are so many shit schools out there ripping people off.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 23:18 - 23 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yay, you didn't get the training that you'd paid for. Winner!

Jamieking86
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 23:49 - 23 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
Yay, you didn't get the training that you'd paid for. Winner!

Got my CBT dude that's all I'm bothered about. I can teach myself the rest in a big car park or quiet side roads

pinkyfloyd
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:11 - 24 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jamieking86 wrote:

Got my CBT dude that's all I'm bothered about. I can teach myself the rest in a big car park or quiet side roads

Yeah good luck with that, You paid the guts of 110 quid for training and did not get it. But hey, what do you care that the school you went to do not train to the minimum standard set out by the DVSA. You got your bit of paper. Just like the countless kids that die on our roads due to cowboy schools.

But hey, why should I care. I only do it for a living.

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 01:35 - 24 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jamieking86 wrote:
I can teach myself the rest in a big car park or quiet side roads

Err.. no, not really.
Dictionary wrote:
Definition of teach Impart knowledge to or instruct (someone) as to how to do something.

By strict definition,if you don't have 'knowledge' to start with, you cant 'give' to to yourself!
Be like saying you will 'pay' yourself to cut the lawn... think about it...

Trying to learn-alone, is a process of discovery; you have to gain knowledge by pure trial and error....

Thomas Edison, suggested that to discover the light-bulb, he first had to find 999 ways how NOT to make a light-bulb....

Translate that to a motorbike.... your light-bulb, is to make a motorbike move, with your body on board, without falling off or crashing in to anything...... so how many times will you HAVE to fall off or crash into something, before you discover your light-bulb?

Going-it-alone, does NOT let you 'teach yourself', you cannot impart in yourself knowledge you don't already have; The motorbike cant 'teach' you to ride; it's an inanimate object, it has NO knowledge, it cant 'teach' you a thing. All it lets you do is try and figure it out by trial and error, and all the bike will do is PUNISH you for your mistakes..... and that punishment can be pretty severe.....

Before 1990, there was no CBT, and no requirement for a new rider to have any sort of formal training by any-one else before they took to the road, to learn almost entirely by trial-and-error.... the accident rate of so many, having so many crashesd to find out how NOT to to ride a motorbike, was what had, first, generated the motorcycle L-Plate laws, then the 250 Learner-Laws, then the moped laws, then the 125 Learner-Laws, BEFORE they realized that, 'actually' wasn't anything to do with the bike that let learner's crash, and they invented CBT to MAKE them get some out-side-learning....

Which it seems you seem to think is a great scam, to have NOT got for the money you paid for that compulsory course?!?!?!?!

Just out of interest, if you hired an electrician to re-wire your house, and they, lets say, didn't fit all the light switches, but left two bare wires hanging out of every hole, and said, "Well, just touch the bare ends together when you want a light to come on".. and left you to get an electric shock every time... would you be suggesting they did a 'great-job', and would you be recommending them to all your mates, because they saved you £100 on the job-price!?

This IS the same sort of analogy! You paid, the full course price, for a well defined and government set syllabus of training, and you DID NOT GET IT.... and have left you to patch over the holes DIY, and suffer the pain to learn to do what they didn't teach, and pay the price of the damage along the way, trying to go-it-alone.....

Thirty years ago, you could have done that, and NOT paid them a penny for the privileged!

So... where congratulations may have been in order, I am loath to offer them, as it seems you didn't 'earn' your DL196.. you simply 'bought' it, so you could go get the know-how you should have got for your money the expensive and painful way......

As to your plan to buy a YBR125 to go-it-alone? More your utter conviction, that this s an astute financial move....

Jamieking86 wrote:
i will be able to sell it at more or less the same price, give or take £200-£300? As long as i dont prang or drop it

Think about that.. REALLY think about that.... your 'Plan' is to learn by trial and error...... falling off.... BUT... some-how as long as you DON'T fall off..... you stand to 'save' money... even though there is an innate contradiction here, and IF you don't fall off you wont learn anything?!?!?!

Go price up the cost of a YBR brake lever, and clutch lever.... then the cost of a par of handle-bars; a 2nd hand petrol tank, side panel, and a new silencer.. the bits most likely to be damaged in an 'off' as you have already discovered.... THEN re-do your sums, over how much you 'may' be able to save!!!!!!

Still think that this s the 'best' and most financially astute 'plan' you can come up with?

End of the Day its your arse Kimo-Sabi, but, your thinking is pretty flawed before you even begin!

Jamieking86
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 11:16 - 24 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah fair point guys, i see what your saying. Way i see it though, we was riding around in fairly tight circles for couple of hours getting used to the clutch, throttle and back brake, we did the figure of 8 too which i found quite hard but just about managed it....eventually. If i can do the figure of 8, U-turn should be quite easy. I will be practising constantly on side streets and car parks before hitting the main roads. Luckily i live on a side street so don't have to cross any main roads to find one lol.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 13:08 - 24 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eh, you'll be fine, we're bagging on the chancer who decided to get rid of you rather than do the job he'd been paid for. It makes things tough for ethical trainers like pinkfloyd.

Last edited by Rogerborg on 20:46 - 24 Dec 2017; edited 1 time in total

pinkyfloyd
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:58 - 24 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
It makes things tough for ethical trainers like pinkfloyd.

As egotistical as it sounds, I agree with both parts of this. One of the hardest things to hear is "I wish I had came to you first" and we have heard that quite a few times. I should not be told a student wished we trained them, We should all be working from the same page as it is the same syllabus. While it is a good thing to hear, I really wish I did not hear it.

Bozzy.
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 18:48 - 24 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well done OP!

Don’t be an eternaLearner though, get yourself the full licence when you’re feeling up to it!

turningCircle
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 22:47 - 28 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

pinkyfloyd wrote:
Rogerborg wrote:
It makes things tough for ethical trainers like pinkfloyd.

As egotistical as it sounds, I agree with both parts of this. One of the hardest things to hear is "I wish I had came to you first" and we have heard that quite a few times. I should not be told a student wished we trained them, We should all be working from the same page as it is the same syllabus. While it is a good thing to hear, I really wish I did not hear it.

To be fair, it isn't just about the course content though, some people click with some people more than with others. Don't underestimate your personality, it is likely not a small reason as to why new students feel comfortable with you. Everybody learns differently. Some people need tough love, others need to be massaged into skill. It's the delivery of the course content that matters as much as the content itself (as i'm sure you know).

To the OP: it is a real problem that your instruction wasn't comprehensive and there is a possibility that your CBT is technically invalid without it. I'd seek further training straight away. Maybe even another CBT - you've got the paper - congratulations, and i'm sure you would have succeeded on the day anyway but for your peace of mind, I would strongly recommend re-doing your CBT elsewhere. Then, when you pass, dob the other CBT place in it with the authorities. I don't have any time for a school which is going to put people on the road unsafely, it also won't do you any favours when it comes to your 'big' test.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 82 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2