Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

40yr old wanting to get into biking

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

vp1977uk
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 14:49 - 23 Dec 2017    Post subject: 40yr old wanting to get into biking Reply with quote

I don't really have any biking experience apart from hiring a 50cc scooter for a day in Corfu.

Local schools are charging around £700 for CBT/Theory/MOD1 & 2 spent over 6 days. This includes Tests/Gear/Bike/Insurance.

Is route worthwhile doing or should i do it as separates. Do CBT and Theory then get a 125CC to practice alone ?

Only thing is i don't know when id really buy a bike after getting a full license.

Do people pass on these type of quick training without spending months practicing on a 125cc ?

Howling Terror
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:05 - 23 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Yes and no.

You ride a pushbike? You confident on it?
You got money to splurge? Go for it you could be riding a Dusaki by the end of week.

If at the time I did have the money to 'gamble' on a week course I wouldn't have. In fact I did the opposite in part due to being tres skint but mainly because I really needed to clock up the confidence miles.
I self taught and passed after riding 125s for almost 4 years.

Said it before but there is a slim chance you may not even like it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

pinkyfloyd
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:29 - 23 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have never ridden a bike before then I would suggest doing just a CBT, You never know, you might not actually enjoy it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:02 - 23 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do the CBT and see how you get on, you might need a bit of time on a 125.

vp1977uk
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 16:07 - 23 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

If i book it as separates CBT first and if i like it they would charge £500 for MOD1 & 2 tests/training on their bikes.

Question is can a MOD 1 and 2 be passed with a few days training without owning/ridng my own bought 125cc in between ?

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:11 - 23 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

vp1977uk wrote:
Question is can a MOD 1 and 2 be passed with a few days training without owning/ridng my own bought 125cc in between ?

It can but it's tough. If you're doing full days don't underestimate how tiring it'll be. See how your CBT goes and what feedback you get from the instructor(s).

vp1977uk
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 16:18 - 23 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Normally id buy a 125cc to practice on for a few months then take MOD1 /2 but i don't know when id actually buy a motorbike. So far i like the idea of having a full license.

Guess i'll do the CBT first and make decisions after that.

pinkyfloyd
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:19 - 23 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

vp1977uk wrote:

Yes it can, I do zero to hero quite often.

vp1977uk
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 17:35 - 23 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

What CC bike would i need to do mod1/2 on if i was using my own ?
If i did it on a 125cc would that restrict me to a certain size ?

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:45 - 23 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

vp1977uk wrote:
What CC bike would i need to do mod1/2 on if i was using my own ?
If i did it on a 125cc would that restrict me to a certain size ?

If you did it on a 125 you'd only ever be able to ride.....a 125.

It's not quite accurate but in essence you need to pass on a 600.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 17:58 - 23 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, don't be discouraged if you take more than 1 day to complete the CBT. It's training, not a test, and it's not a 1 day course, it's as long as you need to reach a minimal standard of competence.

Sammy Seventeen can blaze through it in a day because he's made of energy and over-optimism. You might need longer to assimilate it.

When you are done, see if you can blag a quick go on a 600cc+ training bike. It might save you from wasting time and money on a tiddler.

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:49 - 23 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd also have a good think about what you want a bike for, and what sort of use you might have planned in mind for one?

Most will say this don't matter, as you'll follow the try a bike- get hooked- pass tests- want to ride as much as possible for fun and a hobby- try out lots of different bikes- work up to a big bore superbike etc.

While I'm sure this does still happen for some, and bikes become a huge hobby and interest, it's not like it used to be out there.

Roads are busier, and in a worse state sometimes. People are still careful with throwing money at toys in the current climate, and riding habits and interests have changed generally. Also the bikes are much more samey, and there's less of a mass bike scene in some cases.

If starting out today, I'd want a good reason in my head why I needed or really wanted a bike in 2017. The big groups of mates having a Sunday blast thing is done for me, and if I had a bike and a day off I'd have to think if I wanted to spend £20 on fuel for a breakfast in a Welsh cafe, and then ride home to clean the bike.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

vp1977uk
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 19:08 - 23 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Being a keen traveller who likes to get off the beaten path, I'd like a bike to do European trips or further a field eventually.

I had a day with a scooter in Greece and that opened things up for me.

Been watching Youtube videos and got a thing for the Suzuki V-Strom 650 loaded with panniers.

kerr
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:38 - 23 Dec 2017    Post subject: Re: 40yr old wanting to get into biking Reply with quote

Personally i would steer clear of crash courses and just take lessons at your own pace like you did with your car licence (im assuming you have one)
Thats the way i did it, albeit with a couple of years 125 experience, iirc i spent a good chunk less that 700 notes all in, and i sold the 125 on for more than i paid for it Thumbs Up
vp1977uk wrote:

Only thing is i don't know when id really buy a bike after getting a full license.

Don't mean to be arsey but why bother then?

Wheezybiker
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 19:48 - 23 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm 40 odd
I did my cbt then did my DAS after passing my theory

Cbt was 120 with bike hire
Theory was 35 ish
DAS was 500 quid for 3 days and test fees and bike hire
Had to redo my mod 1 extra 100 quid with bike hire and a couple of hours practice
Passed mod 2 first time

All in CBT to full licence 6 months
No 125 experience in between
Did my DAS over 2 weeks
Total cost 750 ish with bike hire

If I had to do it again I would space the lessons out more and not rush it
Hope this helps

biker7
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 20:12 - 23 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

No one has really told you how great biking is! Fly past cars in a city jam. Wind in your face, seat of your pants thrill on the open road - better than cars by a long way for not a lot of dosh. Bike fits into a small space at home. Mates think you are are hero. Women swoon! Go to a bike shop and sit on them all and tell me you are not excited. I rode small bikes for years, passing my test at 21...ok nothing I rode was really exciting. Then I retired at 60 and got the big bike bug. Now pushing 70 I ride one of the fastest and love it. If you spend your last days regretting not doing things in life.....being a biker will be near the top of the list. Go for it mate, anyway you feel comfortable. Pick the bike you want to end up on as your dream machine, as the driving force and everything else will click into place, even if it takes a month or two. They say only bikers know why dogs like to ride with their head out of the car window. Even a 600cc motorcycle can accelerate as fast as a Ferrari. Even a modest V-Strom will do 0-60 in less than 4 seconds (I've had two and they are brilliant all rounders)

New Year's Resolution for you mate - I will be a full blown biker by Spring '18.
Let us know how you get on!

Dance!

almostthere
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 20:45 - 23 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

get your full licence then go for something fun like an Aprilia tuono or if you want something sporty get an rsv4 these bikes are quite docile so you'll need to rag the fuck out of them for maimum fun Very Happy

vp1977uk
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 00:01 - 24 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Am just gonna do my CBT spring next year then take to from there.
If the instructor says am good enough to go for the DAS mod1/2 then i'll do that then get a proper bike if not then i'll get a 125cc for a few months to practice then do mod1/2.
Guess am trying to just get onto a 650cc as quick as possible at the lowest price for training etc.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 13:05 - 24 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

vp1977uk wrote:
If the instructor says am good enough to go for the DAS mod1/2

Once you've completed the CBT you should be fine to go straight onto big bike training.

It's not a bad idea to wobble around on a 125 for a while, but the moment you ride a 600+ bike you'll realise that you've been wasting your time.

V-Strom is a perfectly decent choice. They've been making them for about a hundred years, so they've got pretty good at it.

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 14:45 - 24 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

vp1977uk wrote:
Normally id buy a 125cc to practice on

I'm a bit boggled how you could 'normally' do something you have never done before?
vp1977uk wrote:
Guess am trying to just get onto a 650cc as quick as possible at the lowest price for training etc.

RUSHING BE FAST WAY TO HURT ON A MOTORBIKE!

You're 40 years old... you have been eligible to get a bike licence for almost quarter of a century!!!! WHY all of a sudden are you impatient to get a big bike?

You have waited THIS long, what's a few more weeks, months or even years?

The enthusiasm you seem to have, is, right now probably your greatest danger; you will get frustrated by training, because t 'seems' you are being taught to suck eggs; you will, I suspect be even more frustrated because you will presume to know so much already as a car driver, and that enthusiasm and that 'rush' to get going, you WILL miss big chunks of what any-one tries to teach you.

There is a LOT to learn, just on CBT which is the first lesson, and so many just don't, especially if they turn up expecting to do it all in a hurry, eager to get onto the next bit, and get out on the road NOT nail the exercise on hand.

And you get what you pay for... buy cheap, buy twice... but f you are too eager and too exted, and start muffing 'cheap' CBT's they ca start to get very expensve, very quick.

Its not about 'cheap' ts about value for money, and that, you wll mostly make yourself. Pointless paying anything for a days wrth of expert instruction, if you don't listen, or wast half the day argung over what you are told!!!

CHILL... take your time; do your research, and buy 'value'.

Of what you might practically do right now; find on-lie theory/hazard test practice sites, do some practice. You dont need a bike to do it, but, it IS probably the biggest hurdle for most new riders, and an even bigger one for more mature ones....

To get a motorcycle licence now, you have to take and pass the motorcycle Theory/Hazard test, even if you dd on, its not the same as for a car.. it just has to be done.

Designed for teenagers of the play-station generation, the Theory test, is a far cry from the old high-way-code questions of old... there's a shed load of enviro-mental questions, and first aid type stuff in it;

When my O/H was doing her practice for it, I was listening to the questions coming out of her lap-top and actually told her to get OFF 'Face-Book-Hospital' and do her motorbike test practice, and she was indignant showing me she was! BUT that's how much non motoring sort of stuff s on there now.

Once upon a time,most of the HWC questions asked by an examiner, or in the first theory test were usually 'common sense', if not common knowledge, and there were only a few, you know what the book says or you don't questions; now, I think its the other way about.

Meanwhile the Hazard-Perception test, is a computer game! It really doesn't favor folk who have actually been identifying road hazards for umpety odd years, and have normalized reacting to them. I actually watched an entire tests worth of clips, and was thinking 'Yeah! WHERE is the hazard in THAT!?!?" Its the sort of stuff, as a driver for thirty years I just 'deal with'.. and then there's the mouse click thing! Hit it too soon.. which as existing driver you are want to, it don't count.... keep clicking, as the hazard develops, you get penalsed for over-clicking!

17 year-olds... raised on a play-station, and politically indoctrinated at high-school; can ace it. They are used to learning by rote, rather than thinking, and they are used to winning computer games doing what the programmers expect.... us Oldies CANT WIN.

So, practice, practice, practice... A-N-D... then go do the test.... its indoors so warm and dry, this tie of year.. and IF you want to go onto traning ad tests, its pretty much a pre-requiste... you have to have passed Theory/Hax before you can book a Mod 1 practical test, and most schools, wont accept you for a DAS course unless you already have Theory/Haz, so you have a clear-run, and they can bang you on an available practical test, and not have to send you home and possibly wait months still you come back with the cert.

You don't need it before dong CBT.... BUT, if you are so full of enthusiasm, its something you CAN do that IS worth-while, and will get you some-where, that window-shopping bikes, or talking to us on forum wont.

Also better to get frustrated, despondent, and give up, after only £30's outlay on that, than to have done £150's worth of CBT firing enthusiasm more, or worse, paid £1000's for a complete DAS course and likely shelled out a load in your excitement on 'gear'... and? Well, that hurdle cleared all else aught be relative plain sailing.

Next up... Bike be last thing you NED worry about. Cant ride anything until you have a licence, and in between, riding gear, security and stuff, is all needed before the actual bike..... remember, DON'T RUSH!

Quick thought on costs and 650's, and 'cheap' training.... BIKES come and go. If you dont get o with one you can trade it in. If you don't like the colour, you can buy another.

TRAINING IS FOR LIFE...

Its the know-how of how NOT to crash. It saves your hide every time you ride! Gets better with use, doesn't need any maintenance; doesn't put your insurance up, and helps you get further, faster, safer, ad have MORE fun.

A good crash hat costs maybe £300.. and is good for ONE crash You crash... its junk! Throw t away, buy another! And start paying for all the other damage, like fairings ad handlebars and stuff... after the road-rash has healed ad the bandages come off....

NOW how long may you deliberate the sharpe ratings and accessory catalogues tryng to find a helmet, and how much attension will you pay to the colour scheme and whether it matches your jacket ad your bike?

But ALL you want from a training school is CHEAP?

I think that may be a bit backwards.... resarch your trainng, pay for your tranng, get the MOST from your traning..... learn how NOT to crash, how to avoid havig to chuck away crash hats or repair farngs, or unwrap road-rash patches!

Training is. compared to the price of your riding outfit, let alone your bike, likely SMALL POTATOES... very small potatoes, and as said; gets better more you use it, never looses its value, cant be stolen, and does more to save crashed no crashhat ever will....

NOW re-assess how much i cold hard £££££ GOOD training is worth, compared to a crash-hat, that even if you don't crash has around a 3-year service life!

Biking is expensive, and the bigger the bike, so the more expensive it is! If the project is cost critcal, don't set your sites on a 650 big bike! Compared to cars the running costs can be high, and ot proportional to either the cost of the machine, or the mpg the book says they should return. Biggest kicker for many, is the surprise of how much they cost to maintain, and how short lived and how expensive things like tyres are.

If you have to penny-pich on the cost of courses to get a licence, then these sort of costs are gong to come as a shock, and or cripple you!

But STILL, value for money.. good tyres save accidents, and £200 wrth or rubber, every 3000 miles adds up to a heck of a lot more than the prce of a training course, very quickly... like the crash hat, whats 'best' value for money?

DO NOT cheap-skate on your training, Value it! Its supposed to ave life, not just win licences.

So:-
- Don't Rush.
- Kurb the Enthusiasm a bit
- Start wth the Theory/Hazard practice, and then test.
- Research schools, book a CBT.....
- DON'T sweat the small stuff, like "What-Bike" until you are even close to that being important.
Take it one step at a time, DONT RUSH

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 14:53 - 24 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course, Mike does make a good argument for why you should avoid training schools as much as possible.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:59 - 24 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
It's not a bad idea to wobble around on a 125 for a while, but the moment you ride a 600+ bike you'll realise that you've been wasting your time.

Personally I found the first few months useful, the next 3 painful, the next 6 excruciatingly frustrating. The old days of passing your test on a 125 and getting a restricted license were more constructive IMO, as it's now by the time you go for 'training' you probably know how to ride, and any bad habits are so entrenched they aren't going to go away over 2-3 days.

Bozzy.
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 20:33 - 24 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
Of course, Mike does make a good argument for why you should avoid training schools as much as possible.

Does he? I usually stop reading after the first few lines Rolling Eyes

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 20:46 - 24 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bozzy. wrote:
Rogerborg wrote:

Does he? I usually stop reading after the first few lines Rolling Eyes

The existence of Mike makes a good argument for why you should avoid training schools.

recman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:53 - 24 Dec 2017    Post subject: Re: 40yr old wanting to get into biking Reply with quote

vp1977uk wrote:
I'd like to ride a motorcycle.

Might I suggest that when you do get a 125, go for something that goes both on and off road. It might just put a new slant on things for you.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 114 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2