Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

1019.8 miles in California

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Touring & Exploration
 Topic moved: from General Bike Chat to Touring & Exploration by Korn (9 Nov 2005 - 18:54)
View previous topic : View next topic  

Major_Grooves
The Doctor

PostPosted: 20:16 - 08 Sep 2004    Post subject: 1019.8 miles in California Reply with quote

WARNING This is a long post. I don’t blame you if you can’t be bothered reading it – but once I got started typing I just wanted to mention everything. It will probably act more as a record of my route for me!

There are photo links throughour the post relevant to where I was, but if you just want to see the pictures go to the end of the thread for a link.

This thread has been posted to bikechatforums.com, bayarearidersforum.com, and sport-touring.net.

San Francisco

So, after a week of listening to science seminars from 0830 to 2100 every day in San Diego, it was time to fly up to San Francisco.

The next day I walked from my Hotel in Chinatown to the Harley rental place. SF is not a good place to look lost in. It's a pretty cool city but I have never seen so many beggars, and people sleeping in the streets! It makes London and Paris look good.

Mapman

Anyway standing around with my map, "mapman" comes up to help me. "Hey man where you looking for? I'm the mapman!" I tell him where I'm aiming for and he proceeds to walk me most of the way there. "My black ass used to earn $70K but I lost my job and now I'm the map man!" As we walked into the less busy area near the retal shop I did have visions of me getting mugged, but I managed to convince him I was okay from there.

As I walked the last bit I saw a familiar orange cruiser riding by, and I have to admit I felt relived/excited that someone would be riding with me that day. So at the shop, Thorick from Bay Area Riders Forum was waiting for me.

Had to phone credit card company to get limit extended to cover liability insurance. Then I checked out the bike for and damage (photo).

Who needs a helmet?!

Next was to pick a helmet. I had decided not to bring mine, as I couldn't be bothered with it on 6 flights. Mistake! They were the worst collection of helmets I have ever seen. They were nearly all half helmets, and all looked like they had been in major crashes. I managed to pick a medium sized open faced helmet. My helmet is an XL, and this M rattled about on my head. It would have been absolutely no use in an accident and that made me a tad nervous! I found that when I was riding at anything above 65mph the thing would act like a parachute and really pull my head back. I think if I hadn’t decided to wear earplugs after a few miles I would be completely deaf by now!

First off Thorick guided me away from the shop. I nearly dropped the bike the first time we stopped ad the huge pegs were where I would normally put my feet on the ground. Luckily Thorick didn't seem to notice me nearly collapse into him!

The bike falls apart on Redtree road

He then took us on a detour to some very twisty roads called Redtree road. Definitely the twistiest roads I had been on. On the first corner I took I heard Scrape... and thought I was getting the pegs down. This wasn't a good sign as I was taking the corner at about 20mph with barely any lean. Anyway we stopped to get a foggy view over San Francisco (photo), and found the heat shield had fallen off (photo). I think I would have felt cheated if I had hired a Harley and something hadn't fallen off!

ChiPs

At that point a police biker pulled up and asked if we'd seen any cars drive off the embankment! He then let me have a photo on his bike (photo) which was very cool of him.

Dodgy roads

Then it was onto some busy Interstate roads to head towards Highway 120. Whilst the Highways generally had good surfaces, the Interstate roads were abysmal. There were at time huge cracks between the lanes, which looked a few inches wide and deep. Most of the lanes were covered in cracks. Most of the time I chose the lane based on whether or not it huge deep lorry grooves in them or not. At one point we were riding at about 70mph and must have gone over a 2 inch bump from the new tarmac onto the old. I though I might have buckled the wheel at that point as it gave me a hell of a shock through the arms.

Hells Angels on Highway 120

Eventually we got onto Highway 120 (photo) and it felt absolutely amazing to be riding. It was so cool to be getting waves from all the other bikers - much better than the British nod which can be mistaken for a sneeze! By now I was really feeling the "Spirit of the Harley" - despite looking like a pasty underfed Scottish refugee, inside I felt like a Hells Angel complete with beard and belly (photo).

Reaching Yosemite – bye Thorick!

Once we reached Groveland, just outside of Yosemite National Park, it was time for a meal, and time to say goodbye to Thorick who had to ride home (photo). Once Thorick had gone I tried to ride to Glacier point to get a view across the whole valley. Unfortunately I missed the turning so and didn't have enough fuel to get up there once I had realised.

Yosemite National Parl

The next day I rode the 120 straight through and got some fantastic views (Photo, photo, photo).

Mono Lake

And I then made it through to Mono Lake (photo, arty photo innit), where I had some grub at the Woah Nellie Deli.

Highway 89

Now I was on the other side of the Sierra Nevada mountains I was in the rain shadow so the landscape was completely different. I had gone from lush and green to dry and arid. Still the roads were good and completely deserted, and I got some great views. I met some guys up there including the first time I had seen the Triumph Rocket III (photo)

Lake Tahoe

The roads there were great, but there were also some long straights (photo) before I eventually reached Lake Tahoe (photo).

Highway 20 – good!

From there I had to make some distance so I wouldn’t have too much to do the next day so I set off on Interstate 80 (possible the worst road I have ever been on). For some reason I decided to take the Nevada City turn off and head along Highway 20. I so glad I did this as it was a fantastic road. Long tree lined straights and long sweeping corners with barely another vehicle in sight.

That night I stayed a real American style motel (photo).

Highway 20 – bad!

The next day I set off on Highway 20 again, but this road got very boring but still kind of cool in an Easy rider style (photo).

Clearlake

Eventually I reached Clearlake which was quite nice to ride round (crap panoramic photo).

Eeediot!!!

Anyway then I rode on a bit, stopping off at a Café for some Mexican grub. I had decided to keep on Highway 20 to eventually reach Fort Bragg, and then ride down Pacific Highway1 which I had been told had fantastic roads and views. So I set off after lunch with a lot of miles to cover. After 40 miles I stopped to check the map. I could not find the map. Neither could I find my digital camera! Argghh! Cue lots of jumping up and down, hitting myself with my gloves and swearing (probably quite loud – I had the earplugs in). I then set off back to the Café which I had left over an hour ago! All the way I was riding far too fast, and just praying the camera was still there. Which of course it wasn’t. Check back again. Oh there it is. Oh what a merry moment that was. How I rolled my eyes and laughed at myself for being such a silly boy. No not really. Actually I kind of slumped head in hands into the nearest seat, whilst they brought me something to drink.

Napa valley

Anyway now I didn’t have time to reach the Pacific Highway so I took a combination of roads that allowed me to go through the Napa Valley. Once I started heading down the valley the roads changed a lot. They were incredibly twisty. Possibly even more so than the Redtree road. Unfortunately my poor riding skills were exposed then and I had real trouble on these roads. I’d like to blame the bike but I think I was most a fault. I had lorries overtaking me, and when you have two lanes of traffic overtaking each other coming towards you round blind U bends it gets a bit unnerving. Also saw one car which had messed up a corner and hit the rock on the side of the road, so that I came round to the corner onto loads of rubble. Didn’t seem serious but I passes a lot of emergency vehicles heading that way.

Golden Gate Bridge

Anyway, I rode quickly as possible down to San Rafael and stayed the night in a motel there. The next day I had to drop the bike off by 0900 and I wanted to ride over the Golden Gate Bridge as the last experience of my California tour. Thankfully I managed that without any mishaps and after getting slightly lost in San Francisco I reached the hire shop at 0845. Bike was inspected – no damage! Hurrah!

Miles and miles and miles…

So the mileometer read 1019.8 miles, over 3 days. Not bad considering that is 1/3 of what I usually cover in a year (or at least what I tell my insurance company!).

Acknowledgements

So thanks to everyone from bikechatforums.com, bayarearidersforum.com, and sport-touring.net who helped me with planning my trip.
Special thanks to Thorick from BARF for taking a day off work and meeting me up, helping me ride out of the city, and showing me some great roads!

Apologies to the few people that offered to meet me but I didn’t properly contact to arrange it.

Condolences to the guy who was on his way but crashed on-route (He’s okay!)!

Overall I can say it was an absolutely amazing experience. I loved nearly every minute of it (digital camera mad dash excepted). I definitely have the touring bug now, but unfortunately not the budget!

Gallery link Here you go!. The first page is of La Jolla, and San Diego zoo, then biking photos, then back to pictures of San Francisco, then pictures of San Diego beach. There are lots more photos of the trip in there that I haven't linked to here. They are all more or less in chronological order.

I also have some video I shot on my camera that I will post once I work out how to compress it, and Thorick has some bullet camera footage he is going to send me.

dibbster
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 20:51 - 08 Sep 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

1019 miles and I bet it only cost you $10 in fuel. Laughing

Looks like you had a great trip.! Cool

/me sits at computer feeling jealous.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Lee_367
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 21:14 - 08 Sep 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds fun. I would like to do something similar one day. Very Happy

ZRX61
Victor Meldrew

PostPosted: 22:03 - 08 Sep 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kinda wondering why ya didn't hire a bike in SD & ride up PCH to SF?

JonB
Afraid of Mileage

PostPosted: 22:55 - 08 Sep 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh wow, that seemed like a ride of a lifetime! Cool Thumbs Up
Be careful whose advice you buy, but, be patient with those who supply it. Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it?s worth.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Dom
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:13 - 09 Sep 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, sounds like an amazing 3 days. Hope to do it myself sometime.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Sparks!
Sir Tart-a-lot

PostPosted: 00:22 - 09 Sep 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

The gorillaz are funny...

https://www.majorgrooves.co.uk/gallery/displayimage.php?album=5&pos=11

Was bored..

https://www.cwimedia.co.uk/other/misc/animation.gif

Anyway, gorillaz aside, glad you had a nice time Thumbs Up

Frost
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:48 - 09 Sep 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most major cities have a Mapman, Amsterdam does Razz

headlamp
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:57 - 09 Sep 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

A great trip well told! Glad you enjoyed yourself - I bet it beats driving in Finchley! Wink

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 10:01 - 09 Sep 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hotel in chinatown.

I like your style. Was the room service good?

dainesefreak
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:36 - 09 Sep 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like a great trip and you got some nice photo's there too. Thumbs Up

Major_Grooves
The Doctor

PostPosted: 10:44 - 09 Sep 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

ZRX61 wrote:
Kinda wondering why ya didn't hire a bike in SD & ride up PCH to SF?

I had considered that but people had said that riding past LA could be a nightmare, and I think SD to SF would have had to have been one way hire which is more expensive.

I think my route worked out okay though. Smile

ZRX61
Victor Meldrew

PostPosted: 21:56 - 09 Sep 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Major_Grooves wrote:
I had considered that but people had said that riding past LA could be a nightmare, and I think SD to SF would have had to have been one way hire which is more expensive.

I think my route worked out okay though. Smile

They lied, it takes about 7 hours to do SD to SF, 8 if ya take it easy.

karen_moomin
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:04 - 09 Sep 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like you had fun! Nicely told too Thumbs Up

I once did a road trip (by car) from LA to SF, and back again a few hours later...thinking back, it would be a great little bike trip! Something to add to my list for the future! Very Happy

John
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:10 - 09 Sep 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks great fun. Cool Thumbs Up

What did you think of the bike?

Going2fast
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:21 - 09 Sep 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounded like a right blast Thumbs Up
Gosh and this road, bliss.

Andy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Git
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 22:25 - 09 Sep 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brilliant read Thumbs Up
I love the scenery pictures, cool Cool

Major_Grooves
The Doctor

PostPosted: 10:56 - 10 Sep 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

John wrote:
Looks great fun. Cool Thumbs Up

What did you think of the bike?

First problem was the pegs nearly making me fall over when I stopped.

The bike is the smallest Harley but it must weigh twice as much as my CB500. When I got back on my bike it now feels like a toy or something. And everything on my bike feels so delicate!

The engine is completely different, and while it wasn't hard getting used to a bike that needed so few revs it is now strange getting used to more revs on my bike now.

I never really tried to thrash it. I don't think I took off from standing much faster than any cars. I think it also had some really low rev limited in it as a few times I tried to overtake it really struggled and was bouncing the revs.

Anway, I din't hire because I was expecting to like the bike, just for the experience of it. Now that I've "done it" if I was in the US again I would probably get a sports tourer or something.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 19 years, 231 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Touring & Exploration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1