Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Ever had a 'I goofed up, shoulda gone in the car' day?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

ADSrox0r
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:20 - 27 Dec 2017    Post subject: Ever had a 'I goofed up, shoulda gone in the car' day? Reply with quote

Those days when it was fine when you got the bike out, the weather report looked grim but manageable but once you get half way to work it starts shitting snow in great volume.

Cock Laughing

duhawkz
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:32 - 27 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't worry I'm sure bodyform will be along shortly to tell you what a beta you are for not being able to ride in snow and how an alpha male would ride 24x7x365

ADSrox0r
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:46 - 27 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was actually hoping he'd pop in and imbue me with some of his manly ninja training. Although I'm sure at this time of year he's been far too busy guarding Santa.

UncleFester
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:51 - 27 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

All be gone by the time you go home.

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:51 - 27 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope; the train was a rather nice temperature this morning, there was barely anyone on it and it ran on time. I'm sure the pub will be warm, inviting and not particularly crowded at lunchtime, too. All in all, a good decision to leave the bike in the garage.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

ADSrox0r
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:57 - 27 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Should thaw out nicely with that amount of ambient smug Dance!

Irn-Bru
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:22 - 27 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, because I'm off for another week

https://i.imgur.com/7k6ceGf.gif

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 11:37 - 27 Dec 2017    Post subject: Re: Ever had a 'I goofed up, shoulda gone in the car' day? Reply with quote

G wrote:
Those days when it was fine when you got the car out, the weather report looked grim but manageable but once you get half way to work it starts shitting snow in great volume. And you get stuck in snail's pace traffic - all well and good being warm, but it takes you twenty minutes to get the last mile.

Cock Laughing

Razz

While the time there was massive snow fall on the day of the Work Christmas party - a lady I worked with tried to get me to walk to the pub with them instead of riding my motorcycle.

It took me maybe 20 minutes to do the couple of miles into town - and that mostly because there was some really tight roads with stationary traffic (I did resort to pavements in a couple of bits).
People driving cars took two hours + for a shorter distance to a car park.
The aforementioned lady warning me about the dangers of motorcycling fell over twice walking and took over an hour Laughing.

</bodyguard>
Beehive Bedlam This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 12:08 - 27 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

When your bikes value is equivalent to 1 takeaway dinner, its not really an issue.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

J4mes
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:17 - 27 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

At least you pulled over to let all the traffic that had built up behind your slow ass past.

Thumbs Up

ADSrox0r
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:23 - 27 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wouldn't bat an eyelid if I was on a disgusting wreck like our resident samurai demi-god rides but since the wife parked in such a way to prevent me playing bike Tetris I grabbed whichever one was at the front. Which happened to be the Zed. 200bhp in the snow with no form of traction control/power mode/ABS does have your brown eye winking a smidge Laughing
Beehive Bedlam This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 12:56 - 27 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bodyguard wrote:
Paddy. wrote:
When your bikes value is equivalent to 1 takeaway dinner, its not really an issue.

I wonder what your reply would be if my bike was worth ten grand because either way I would be out riding it.

My reply would be the same.

Bonnie Lad
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 12:59 - 27 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bodyguard wrote:
duhawkz wrote:
Don't worry I'm sure bodyform will be along shortly to tell you what a beta you are for not being able to ride in snow and how an alpha male would ride 24x7x365

https://i.imgur.com/nGGMjTs.jpg

That looks really fun

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:12 - 27 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paddy. wrote:
Bodyguard wrote:
I wonder what your reply would be if my bike was worth ten grand because either way I would be out riding it.

My reply would be the same.

Please can I come round to yours for a takeaway then Shocked ?

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 13:19 - 27 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Freddyfruitbat wrote:
Please can I come round to yours for a takeaway then Shocked ?

Please do. I order a lot of takeaway...

redeem ouzzer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:28 - 27 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Said it before, will say it again. Riding all year round is a sign of low income or being too stupid to pass the car test, or a bit of both.

You can make your own judgements which of these apply to Ashley.

Hawkeye1250FA
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:33 - 27 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

GT200Fan79 wrote:
Said it before, will say it again. Riding all year round is a sign of low income or being too stupid to pass the car test, or a bit of both.

Confused

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 14:22 - 27 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hawkeye1250FA wrote:
GT200Fan79 wrote:

Confused

Is true. Why subject yourself to cold temps when you can have a car.

ADSrox0r
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:37 - 27 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

But....but...rufty tufty manpoints?

Ha, no in all honesty next year I think I'll pick up a shit little runabout for winter. I've done enough winter biking over the years to say 'been there done that, it's bollocks'.

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 14:43 - 27 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paddy. wrote:

Is true. Why subject yourself to cold temps when you can have a car.

Because I don't like sitting in traffic.

When setup for bike commuting I'd typically find car was colder for shorter trips at least - on the bike I'd get on it with warm bike gear on from in the house.
In the car you've got to wait for the car to warm up; normally not wearing the warm stuff.

Saying that - for the occasional times we do end up with decent snow - studded trail tyres made it an enjoyable experience rather than a chore to get to work in a third the time it takes in a car.

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 14:45 - 27 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

In some aspects, yes. For me, car is faster and I'd argue safer than riding. I'd take my chances in the car Laughing

redeem ouzzer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:56 - 27 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

G is just being obtuse as per usual Rolling Eyes

I’d rather be sat in gridlock listening to my records and enjoying the nuclear heat Ford heaters provide than be on a bike freezing my bits off trying to avoid falling off the moment I get off the beaten track and onto the side streets.

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 15:04 - 27 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Proper kit means I didn't get cold when commuting.

Each to their own - driving the same journey on a typical day without extra hold ups would take around 45 minutes each way.
I was getting annoyed with how long riding was taking me, so timed it. It was just over 13 minutes on a bike.

I'd prefer to have an hour a day extra at home every day than be sat in my vehicle.

Didn't get cold because I had the right kit.
Still just about preferred the bike when we had packed snow for ages - sliding around in the car in traffic worried me more.
And sticking some studs in some old tyres meant I positively enjoyed the experience.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 93 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3