Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Ever had a 'I goofed up, shoulda gone in the car' day?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

kgm
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:07 - 27 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

6I'm quite happy in most weather, my commute isn't too long and with my gear and muffs in don't really get cold. I had to patch the bike a couple of days last week though asy garden and the entire street had thick enough ice to use skates on. I wouldn't have even have been able to wheel it out of the garden without dropping it.

I done have a car to use a lot of the time as I share my car with the Mrs who uses it for work so I don't have a choice a lot of the time. That'll be changing next year though and I'll probably use the car a bit more during winter. Happy taking my er6 out in anything but anything valuable or special I wouldn't want to expose tof the salt.

This day wasn't very ejoyable...

Dave70
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:23 - 27 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have a car licence, so not much option but to ride the bike.

However, since discovering what black ice is last week and sliding down the road behind the bike, I am now considering doing my car test/lessons. I'd rather ride a horse tbh but, don't have anywhere to keep one. Sad

I had a few car lessons a good number of years ago and I have to admit, I hated every second of them. Although, if I can find a new job (which I'm looking for anyway) that's on a bus or train route pretty soon, I may just stick with the bike and use public transport on the rare days it looks like it maybe a bit dodgy weather wise.

The other option is to by a cheap as chips winter hack, for commuting on this time of year.

As for getting cold. I'm usually sweating with the gear I wear, except for my fingers. Need some heated grips to sort that out.

2012: R125 killed by white van. 2016 R125 killed by 30,000 miles of redline. Current: 2016 Kawasaki ER6f.

Last edited by Dave70 on 15:39 - 27 Dec 2017; edited 2 times in total

recman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:34 - 27 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bodyguard wrote:
duhawkz wrote:
Don't worry I'm sure bodyform will be along shortly to tell you what a beta you are for not being able to ride in snow and how an alpha male would ride 24x7x365

https://i.imgur.com/nGGMjTs.jpg

Dem strips!

Heated steering wheel, heated seats and just being caressed with warm air in general beats this shit all day long.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Bonnie Lad
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 16:54 - 27 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have to commute on the bike through winter due to circumstances then fair enough, but pretending it's in any way preferable to using a car is just plain old denial

techathy
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 17:08 - 27 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bonnie Lad wrote:
If you have to commute on the bike through winter due to circumstances then fair enough, but pretending it's in any way preferable to using a car is just plain old denial

Rode to work today, with M&S rated tyres on the Zero, used my heated gloves & boots on the lowest setting.
Was I warm? Yes
Was I dry? Yes
Did I get held up by any of the twits trying to drive on compacted snow & slush with summer tyres? No

On the other hand my house mate gave up trying to get to work after being on the road for 2 hours and not having completed 5 miles due to the number of cars being pulled off verges onto the road. Laughing

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 17:08 - 27 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bonnie Lad wrote:

Denial that I really would have preferred to have had an extra hour stuck in a vehicle every day - equivalent to a 15 (waking time) days worth of extra time a year gone?

Maybe I was!

Sure - I appreciate some can't be bothered to sort out proper bike gear to keep warm - and if I was the same I wouldn't stay riding.
But a roadcrafter, muffs and heated grips meant the cold wasn't an issue.

Only times I crashed bikes commuting was in in summer or at least generally warmer spring/summer times.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:20 - 27 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

GT200Fan79 wrote:
Said it before, will say it again. Riding all year round is a sign of low income or being too stupid to pass the car test, or a bit of both.

Or no car park at work?

G wrote:
In the car you've got to wait for the car to warm up; normally not wearing the warm stuff.

Heated seats help, you don't have to wait for the car to stop blowing arctic air out the vents.

Paddy. wrote:
For me, car is faster and I'd argue safer than riding.

Keep it below 150 mph then Wink

Bonnie Lad
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 17:30 - 27 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

G wrote:
Bonnie Lad wrote:

Denial that I really would have preferred to have had an extra hour stuck in a vehicle every day - equivalent to a 15 (waking time) days worth of extra time a year gone?

Maybe I was!

Sure - I appreciate some can't be bothered to sort out proper bike gear to keep warm - and if I was the same I wouldn't stay riding.
But a roadcrafter, muffs and heated grips meant the cold wasn't an issue.

Only times I crashed bikes commuting was in in summer or at least generally warmer spring/summer times.

As long as you've convinced yourself, that's all that counts

My verdict stays the same however. There is no way anyone can realistically claim being on a bike in unpleasant weather is preferable to being in a car or train

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 17:49 - 27 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:

Heated seats help, you don't have to wait for the car to stop blowing arctic air out the vents.

Back when I had the aforementioned commute I also had a BMW M3 - I believe Ste reminded me a good few times when I noted that his car was faster.... for the seats to warm up.

I suffer a bit from cold hands generally it seems - so will often find myself wearing gloves/mits in a car if it's particularly cold.

Quote:
There is no way anyone can realistically claim being on a bike in unpleasant weather is preferable to being in a car or train

Which one of these do you think isn't preferable, (presuming you have the right kit)?
Parking by the entrance of businesses and homes (no getting wet walking from the car).
Staying warm all the time.
Massively lower risk of getting stuck in grid-lock traffic.
Getting to your destination much quicker.
Using bus lanes to miss traffic and take routes cars can't.
Not having to wait for public transport and spend it with a load of other diseased proles/outer-party (as you mention trains).

Appreciated not all journeys are the same - if there's no traffic for a long journey and you can park easily, then I'd definitely go for 4 wheels.
There's very few journeys I do right now that I would choose a bike for as it goes - and those typically I'll take a push bike anyway.
But in other environments/situations, I'd definitely still be choosing a bike.

Last edited by G on 17:53 - 27 Dec 2017; edited 1 time in total

kgm
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:52 - 27 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bonnie Lad wrote:

As long as you've convinced yourself, that's all that counts

My verdict stays the same however. There is no way anyone can realistically claim being on a bike in unpleasant weather is preferable to being in a car or train

Not everyone finds 'unpleasant' weather all that unpleasant. It doesn't really bother me when I'm warm and dry under my gear. I rarely have traction issues and I have none of the parking issues that I can sometimes have with the car. Traffic makes no difference on my commute. I quite often take the bike in preference even why I do have the car as an option as I just like it better. It's nice to have both options though as there are occasions when I do prefer the car. It depends on my mood and mostly how tired I am. The only time I really don't enjoy the bike is when it's snowing because it's so hard to keep the visor clear. Everyone is different.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:53 - 27 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

G wrote:
M.C wrote:

Back when I had the aforementioned commute I also had a BMW M3 - I believe Ste reminded me a good few times when I noted that his car was faster.... for the seats to warm up.

I suffer a bit from cold hands generally it seems - so will often find myself wearing gloves/mits in a car if it's particularly cold.

Same but I've not found my hands getting cold in a car, and they always get cold on the bike, so for that specific part of the body it's no contest Smile

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 17:58 - 27 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:

Same but I've not found my hands getting cold in a car, and they always get cold on the bike, so for that specific part of the body it's no contest Smile

With the right kit - winter gloves, decent muffs and possibly heated grips (or go for heated gloves/heated muffs) on top - hands stay toasty warm.

I do seem to get cold hands just sat a desk in an office when the heating's playing catch-up, so notice it more than others, I'm sure.

Snow on the visor is a good point - snowpal, anyone?

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:59 - 27 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

All I know is I wouldn't want to ride the bike in icy weather. For one thing, it's all very well you being able to stay upright, but what about all the other numpties sliding their cars all over the shop?

My car warms up very quickly, and with heated front and rear screens, visibility stays good. Don't even have to waste time scraping em.

I seem to remember it took ages to get kitted up to ride a bike in freezing weather, and a similar time to de-kit at my destination. Maybe my kit just wasn't good enough (I've certainly found better base layers since those days), but nowadays I just find it tiresome.
It was ok for my last couple of workplaces; not far to go, but then it hardly seemed worth the bother when I could just jump in the car, and on routes where there wasn't much traffic.
Long distances in freezing weather? Who do you think I am, Ran Fiennes? Laughing
Man points? Don't make me laugh.

@G: sticking studs in old tyres - is that even legal?
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

ADSrox0r
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:03 - 27 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be fair I've never had a problem with wet/cold/miserable, the right gear makes it entirely bearable and I've ridden as low as minus 7C. What bothers me with winter riding is when there's black ice on roundabouts and my village is like an ice rink. That and clarty road salt.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:12 - 27 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

ADSrox0r wrote:
What bothers me with winter riding is when there's black ice on roundabouts and my village is like an ice rink. That and clarty road salt.

That was a big reason for me for not riding in freezing temperatures. Doesn't matter how skilled a rider you are, hit unseen ice at the wrong time and you're off. I've seen it happen to others too many times to want to have to risk it myself. Usually they'd say something like, "everything was fine, then the bike just went out from under me for no reason." N00b riders and skilled alike.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:18 - 27 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
My car warms up very quickly, and with heated front and rear screens, visibility stays good.

You need one of those HJC heated visors, or wait for it to be included in Rainpal.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:22 - 27 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
chickenstrip wrote:
My car warms up very quickly, and with heated front and rear screens, visibility stays good.

You need one of those HJC heated visors

No I don't, I have a car Wink

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:34 - 27 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Correct me if I'm assuming wrong, but to me all you commuters to work that do some or all of the time on two wheels, are simply travelling from warm home to a warm cosy office or warehouse/factory?

What about the BCF'ers and there must be some, that are mobile workers, visiting multiple sites per day, like sub stations, construction sites, IT centres etc?

You fuckers like me must use a works van/truck or a private/fleet/lease car with mileage expense claims? Bike commuting whatever the weather is no good for tradesmen, engineers, highways maintenance or electricity network staff etc.

Irn-Bru
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:49 - 27 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Traffic is much less of an issue when you're being paid to sit in it Thumbs Up Have parked the work van at home for a year now, very convenient for me. Would still use the car for commuting otherwise as the yard is 2 mile away with little traffic.

MinhDinh
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:06 - 27 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course there are days when you're soaked (even from the outside), your visor mists and the roads are so wet that you need to slow down a lot that you think you have made a mistake. However being stuck in traffic in a warm and dry car can be incredibly annoying too.

Generally I go on my gut feeling and stick with it. Whatever happens, will happen but at least I have made that decision.

kawakid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:07 - 27 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup and I didn't even make it to the end of the road.

I'd probably made it successfully 9 times in the snow. (but always home and home is up hill).

My wife warned me, she didn't need the car, but no....

Got to end of road (steep hill), front went and down I went. It's a naked ER6 with engine bars, but still lost a footpeg.

Then pushed it for a bit, then road it, then had to abandone it on someones drive and wait for the thaw. (Very kind person). A colleague then had to come and get me.

FFS I can walk to work in an hour.

Nowadays I don't even try.

I'd hate to do it on a faired bike!!!

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 19:10 - 27 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:

On the Autobahn, officer.

(Black especially - raciss, innit) Ice bothers me whatever - I'm more worried by 4 wheels spinning uncontrollably and the consequences of that (mostly the ensuing insurance claim!)

The setup I had on my KTM with big panniers I'd have been happy to commute around different sites, if didn't have any significant other kit to cart around.
However, the panniers did limit movement in tight traffic unfortunately.
I always liked the idea of making some 'fold out' panniers that could be kept tucked in if not being used.
If I was being paid for all the time sat in traffic including to and from home - a bit of a different matter!

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:16 - 27 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

G wrote:
chickenstrip wrote:

On the Autobahn, officer.

Oh, ok Thumbs Up Wink Laughing

Quote:
(Black especially - raciss, innit) Ice bothers me whatever - I'm more worried by 4 wheels spinning uncontrollably and the consequences of that (mostly the ensuing insurance claim!)

I'd rather an insurance claim than broken bones these days. I've cracked ribs and vertebrae just from unfortunate landings at very slow speeds. To have a car slide into me when already having to be extra careful on the bike...no thanks.

Courier265
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:31 - 27 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have the CAR option, I never learned to drive...

Anyway today I managed to get to London through the snow but FARKED UP by wearing the WRONG farking Boots... My feet got so soaked, weather forecast was a tad wrong.

Courier265
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:32 - 27 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bodyguard wrote:
duhawkz wrote:
Don't worry I'm sure bodyform will be along shortly to tell you what a beta you are for not being able to ride in snow and how an alpha male would ride 24x7x365

https://i.imgur.com/nGGMjTs.jpg

That does it, I'm selling my helmet, too many people have the same one.....
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 114 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3