Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Finding my windows product key

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone
View previous topic : View next topic  

Stalk
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 12:31 - 28 Dec 2017    Post subject: Finding my windows product key Reply with quote

Hello all!
I have a HP Stream laptop with a 28 (?) Gb hard drive that originally came with windows 8.1. It has since upgraded itself to windows 10 which appears to have filled the hard drive and made the machine very unresponsive. I have done the clearing out unused files thing and don't have much stored on it, but when I do use it I would like it to work. So I am thinking that the best thing to do is to revert to windows 8.1. The laptop now will not let me do that from its own set back to factory settings process so I have downloaded 8.1 onto a memory stick, but I no longer have the product key that came on the box. There is a lot of different programs out there in google land to recover the product key, but I thought I would ask here as some may have first hand experience of these things. I should point out that when it comes to computers I am a bit thick.
Thanks in advance for any help you may give!
Cheers
Stalk

Pjay
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:33 - 28 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/produkey.html

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 13:24 - 28 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why won't it roll back to 8.1? I've rolled my nieces back and since turned off updates because it happens so frequently.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Stalk
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 13:39 - 28 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Pjay!

Paddy,
First time rolled back to 8.1, second time would only roll back to 10. Probably I did something wrong

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 13:43 - 28 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats fucking shit Sad

Good luck on the 8.1 install Thumbs Up
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Pjay
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:49 - 28 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stalk wrote:
Thanks Pjay!

No problemo.
I tend to stick it in a Winkey.txt file in C: for future reference.
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

chris-red
Have you considered a TDM?

PostPosted: 22:15 - 28 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpd72 wrote:
I'm surprised a 10 install takes up more disc space than an 8.1
Could it not be the 4GB download of 10 and the "Windows.old" folder taking up the space?

This, run disk cleaner then click on clean up system files.

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 09:39 - 29 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

My fresh install of Win10 Home (yes, I actually moved from 7 and bought a legit key wtf Laughing ) with drivers, even set as 'single language' is using 31GB of space.

Thats a non modified install from MS with the latest updates on it. Nothing else on that drive as its OS only. That is a chunk of space when the stream has 32 or 64gb Laughing
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

Loui5D
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 16:31 - 29 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

chris-red wrote:
mpd72 wrote:
I'm surprised a 10 install takes up more disc space than an 8.1
Could it not be the 4GB download of 10 and the "Windows.old" folder taking up the space?

This, run disk cleaner then click on clean up system files.

I'd suggest being careful with this, might just have been me but it broke Windows on my system.

I upgraded from 7 to 10, i ran the built in cleanup util & selected to remove system files etc. That then caused my PC to get stuck in a loop when trying to load the OS, the boot ini (can't remember the exact one) was still referring to Win 7 components which no longer exist...

I've had to re-install windows 10 completely from fresh.

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 16:36 - 29 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpd72 wrote:
That's odd. There are plenty of tablets with 10 Home pre installed, which only have a max of 32GB of storage.

I agree. I was quite amazed. Laughing

I have a Linx tablet with Win10 which only has 32GB... so... Neutral

kawakid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:30 - 29 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I work in IT and have had a similar issue with a user's own personal laptop.

It had updated from 8.1 to 10, then she somehow managed to reset the ntfs permissions on the C:\windows folder.

To cut a long story short, I thought that she would need to purchase a license for 10. (She had no 8.1 recovery).

But I was wrong, on another computer I downloaded the Windows 10 installer, basically a full ISO, which I burned to a DVD and booted from.

What Microsoft have done is they have a record of everyone who has Windows 10. As soon as I had installed the machine (especially the Network Card), Windows 10 checked and became the version she had had (Home edition I think).

I have documentated this on my works knowledge base, I am at home. Though if you can't find the link I will be able to VPN in and look perhaps on Sunday my notes.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:34 - 29 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you can still upgrade for free to Win' 10 using the assistive technologies upgrade until the end of the year: https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/accessibility/windows10upgrade

kawakid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:56 - 29 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
I think you can still upgrade for free to Win' 10 using the assistive technologies upgrade until the end of the year: https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/accessibility/windows10upgrade

You can, but the poster doesn't have a restore to 8.1.

I have done a couple of Windows 7 32bit to 10 this week and there is currently a bug with the installer. It will download Windows 10, but then come up with an api.dll error, basically there is a dll in c:\windows\system32 you need to overwrite in c:\windows10upgrade (or whatever it calls itself).

The poster above, needs to do what I have said in my earlier post.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:28 - 29 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

kawakid wrote:
I thought that she would need to purchase a license for 10.

That's the bit I was referring to, and Paddy saying he bought a key. F**k paying for Win' 10 Razz

The OP's problem is why I told a relative with a ~£150 laptop budget to save up more money. 32GB eMMC Laughing

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 23:54 - 29 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
That's the bit I was referring to, and Paddy saying he bought a key. F**k paying for Win' 10 Razz

I have never ever had a genuine copy of Windows. For £2.99, I ain't complaining. Laughing

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:55 - 30 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Me either Smile I only bought a genuine copy of OS X because I couldn't get a torrented version to work Crying or Very sad
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 90 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1