Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

20% off on eBay (12-6pm) Today!

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:27 - 28 Dec 2017    Post subject: 20% off on eBay (12-6pm) Today! Reply with quote

Seems to be legit: https://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/20-ebay-discount-12-to-6pm-today-only-2866107

Order now as I think last time it was limited. Need to think of something to buy Very Happy

Pjay
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:36 - 28 Dec 2017    Post subject: Re: 20% off on eBay (12-6pm) Today! Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
Seems to be legit: https://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/20-ebay-discount-12-to-6pm-today-only-2866107

Order now as I think last time it was limited. Need to think of something to buy Very Happy

Yeah PNY2018 is the code, it's on their front page.

God knows how this works as they only take 10% of the final valuation.

If I list something for £40, the buyer pays £32, I get £36?
The only way this works is that Ebay lose money on every sale.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:40 - 28 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

They did it before (early last year), I guess it boosts sales as everyone wants a 'bargain'. Good thing about it is that unlike Amazon sales they can't raise prices 20% beforehand.

Last edited by M.C on 21:40 - 28 Dec 2017; edited 1 time in total

Fisty
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:20 - 28 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arse. I spent £50 this morning.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

goto10
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:21 - 28 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ta, just bought a PS4 Pro with FIFA, they still gave me the full Nectar points too, plus paid for it on my Amazon cashback card (get points towards Amazon vouchers on any transactions), and clicked through via Quidco, I'll sell FIFA so that makes the console a very decent price overall.

@pjay, I'd imagine that the eBay sellers will receive the same money, eBay themselves subsidise the difference. It's just the cost of the promotion.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:36 - 28 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fisty wrote:
Arse. I spent £50 this morning.

Only a tenner Razz Max discount's £75.

goto10 wrote:
Ta, just bought a PS4 Pro with FIFA

Trying to resist the urge myself. Shame the One X isn't a bit cheaper yet.

Irn-Bru
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:40 - 28 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gets the price of a Switch down to the low 200 mark which is nice. Lucky for me I got 20% off mine already a few weeks ago otherwise I'd be raging.

I ended up buying some American import Mountain Dew pop, bit random but I had it in my watch list for ages cos I refused to pay the price until now.

Fisty
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:40 - 28 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pair of new Michelin Pilot Powers delivered for £104.

Awesome.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/301956448504

Last edited by Fisty on 15:43 - 28 Dec 2017; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:47 - 28 Dec 2017    Post subject: Re: 20% off on eBay (12-6pm) Today! Reply with quote

mpd72 wrote:
As they own Paypal, that's 10% margin from the seller anyway isn't it?

I don't think they do anymore.

doggone
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:48 - 28 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Earlier on this showed if you looked at the price - that's gone now but it applies until 6pm
Not everyone will see the details on front page or in the email they sent earlier.
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

t121anf
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:22 - 28 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Used, I was buying something anyway so might as well save some cash.

I didn't find out form here though or HotUKDeals surprisingly, eBay told me in an email.

Get spending people, no brainer if you are buying anyway.

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:42 - 28 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

They do these sorts of offers every so often; they are always 'flash' ones like this so you have to make a buying decision more or less on the spot. And they don't really happen often enough for most prospective purchases to be left as 'pending' while you wait until a suitable offer comes along.

Personally I think the main reason eBay does this is to keep their users subscribed to their email lists. The buggers send me at least one completely useless junk mail every day, and often more. "We've got just the thing for you, Freddy! eBay trend alert"; "Nice! Here's what's hot, Freddy"; "We've got news, Freddy - products too good to spook" to name but a few in my deleted box. I've never found a way to make just the rubbish ones succumb to any form of spam filter, especially as eBay deliberately keep changing the wording to avoid this from happening. Best I can do is have a dedicated email address for ebay and purge that folder every so often.

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:52 - 28 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting. Last night I was looking on eBay for something that I want, just to compare it to the cost of the same something that I want on Amazon, for which I have a £100 voucher. There were tonnes of results in and around the same price point ~£250.

Gone onto eBay now and the cheapest I can find it without shopping from Romania and the like is ~£320.

There's one in there at £240 but there's just something iffy about it all.....
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:01 - 28 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

The more you spend (up to £375) the larger the discount so I don't see what good that would do eBay. I think it's a smart time to do it as retailers were competing in the run-up to Christmas. There doesn't seem to be many good console bundles, so maybe eBay warned some of the big names about this. If they all re-appear tomorrow then we'll know something was up Smile

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:04 - 28 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
The more you spend (up to £375) the larger the discount so I don't see what good that would do eBay. I think it's a smart time to do it as retailers were competing in the run-up to Christmas. There doesn't seem to be many good console bundles, so maybe eBay warned some of the big names about this. If they all re-appear tomorrow then we'll know something was up Smile

Yeah, weird. I'll have a check again tomorrow. Shame as ~£50 saving to be had but I can't find what I want from a reliable source yet, as I say, looking yesterday I'd have struggled not to trip over them.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

doggone
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:10 - 28 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can only use the code once so don't waste it on a cheaper thing Rolling Eyes

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:13 - 28 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

doggone wrote:
You can only use the code once so don't waste it on a cheaper thing Rolling Eyes

I think you can use it on your 'basket' so stack multiple items up to £375 Laughing

I still can't think of anything Crying or Very sad

johnsmith222
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:28 - 28 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great, I just bought 25 litres of wheel cleaner for around £17 for the car.

Taking a punt on this, as I dont' know how good it is.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 18:43 - 28 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought a SNES classic mini, a phone case for the GF, some long 'Pazzo style' levers for my track bike and some crimp on sky coax connectors. 20% off? Yes please! Very Happy

goto10
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:55 - 28 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
doggone wrote:

I think you can use it on your 'basket' so stack multiple items up to £375 Laughing

I still can't think of anything Crying or Very sad

Did you think of anything?

M.C wrote:

There doesn't seem to be many good console bundles, so maybe eBay warned some of the big names about this. If they all re-appear tomorrow then we'll know something was up

You're right about the console bundles though, I wanted to buy from a big name (Shopto/Currys/Argos etc) rather than some seller who's going to send me a brick-in-a-box, but there wasn't much choice.

That said, you'd think the big sellers would want to put together as many bundles as possible, knowing that eBay is going to subsidise 20% of the cost, they'd be flying off the 'shelves' at no cost to them [the seller]...

piazza
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 20:56 - 28 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers for the reminder, I bought a new phone Laughing
Thumbs Up

BillyJ
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 20:58 - 28 Dec 2017    Post subject: Re: 20% off on eBay (12-6pm) Today! Reply with quote

M.C wrote:

May have got myself a Brembo RCS 19 using this code Shocked Thumbs Up

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:47 - 28 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:
I bought a SNES classic mini

Fallen back down the rabbit hole after discovering you can install Sega (and other) emulators on it. It feels a bit wrong playing Sonic on a Nintendo but still. Also it's nice being able to play NES roms, it's like having both Nintendo Minis in one.

goto10 wrote:
Did you think of anything?

Nein Sad Oh well guess I saved 100% then Razz Was looking for a laptop for a relative but nothing really good/within budget.

goto10 wrote:
You're right about the console bundles though, I wanted to buy from a big name (Shopto/Currys/Argos etc) rather than some seller who's going to send me a brick-in-a-box, but there wasn't much choice.

That said, you'd think the big sellers would want to put together as many bundles as possible, knowing that eBay is going to subsidise 20% of the cost, they'd be flying off the 'shelves' at no cost to them [the seller]...

Yeah, still a great price for a PS4 Pro but I was thinking I'd probably have spent the difference in games almost immediately. If they'd had a few games with it I might have relented.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 91 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2