Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Has anyone worked through the Wilbers Shocks on a CBF600?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

dsg10715
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 15:11 - 29 Dec 2017    Post subject: Has anyone worked through the Wilbers Shocks on a CBF600? Reply with quote

Thinking of buying a used one with 800km on it and wondering how people's experiences with the Wilber's shocks, are.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 15:50 - 29 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got one on my VFR750.

No complaints.

chris-red
Have you considered a TDM?

PostPosted: 18:26 - 29 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have one on my TDM it has been great.

Recluso
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 18:28 - 29 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had two, one on my XJ6 and another on my Tracer. No issues whatsoever. Polite to deal with and happy to address general enquiries.

However one thing to keep in mind is that when bought directly from the supplier, they're set up to the person buying it. They ask very specific questions about your weight (with and without kit), how often you take pillion, panniers etc.

So you may find it's worth contacting them to see if they can help you set it up for you as in its currently set up, it may feel weird for you.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 19:28 - 29 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Recluso wrote:
However one thing to keep in mind is that when bought directly from the supplier, they're set up to the person buying it. They ask very specific questions about your weight (with and without kit), how often you take pillion, panniers etc.

So you may find it's worth contacting them to see if they can help you set it up for you as in its currently set up, it may feel weird for you.

This is a good point. You may also find you'll be back on the phone to them soon after to order springs when having the back tyre firmly on the road all the time highlights how boingy/saggy/both the front end is.

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:28 - 29 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ordered a custom built one from the factory for my KMX and it's by far the best modification I've made to the bike. There's plenty of adjustment available for compression and rebound damping, as well as a ride height adjuster in case I ever convert to supermoto spec.

Having a custom shock is the way to go on any bike that's not a basic daily hack IMO.

temeluchus
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:14 - 30 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

How much are you paying for it?

dsg10715
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 10:01 - 30 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guys - thank you for all the counsel.

@ Temelushus - he is asking €450 for the two progressive forks, and the rear shock.

Wafer_Thin_Ham
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:23 - 30 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

dsg10715 wrote:
Guys - thank you for all the counsel.

@ Temelushus - he is asking €450 for the two progressive forks, and the rear shock.

That seems to be strong money for a used set up, what does a Hyperpro Streetbox work out at to your country?

dsg10715
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 10:40 - 30 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sadly they don't make a box for the Honda CBF600 P38, only 2008 onwards. But their Hyperbox for the 2008 is €550 in Germany.

Do you guys think it's not worth it? I think the Ohlins is overpriced for some touring and street riding.

Wafer_Thin_Ham
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:46 - 30 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

dsg10715 wrote:
Sadly they don't make a box for the Honda CBF600 P38, only 2008 onwards. But their Hyperbox for the 2008 is €550 in Germany.

Do you guys think it's not worth it? I think the Ohlins is overpriced for some touring and street riding.

They do a full shock and fork springs for the CBF600S 04-07 (nothing for the N weirdly) though as another option. You could just team them up.

I think Ohlins is probably over kill. It's well worth finding out if your Wilbur's man is a similar weight/usage to yourself. Otherwise it's worth considering new options I would say.

Enduro Numpty
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 10:47 - 30 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had a Wilbers rear shock and progressive springs on the front of my FJR for years and I'm very happy with them. As has already been mentioned, it's likely to have been set up for the original owner and it might be worth getting UK agent https://www.revsracing.co.uk/wilbers.php to set it up to suit you.

I looked at much more expensive manufacturers and Wilbers through Revs Racing were less than 1/2 the cost of Ohlins etc.. and as far as I could see offered a much better service. They asked me the correct questions and my rear shock came set for me riding solo and with recommended settings for carrying a passenger and also with full luggage. The main reason I changed from standard shock was it didn't offer enough adjustment to suit all my loading requirements.

Unless the shock you're looking to buy is more or less new, I think I'd be tempted to try and stretch to buy a new one.

dsg10715
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 10:49 - 30 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everyone. Really helpful.

Ed Case
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:03 - 30 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had one on my '07 ER6f for 7 years, made a world of difference with the rear end but exposed the budget front end more than a little.

dsg10715
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 06:15 - 31 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I definitely am looking at rear and forks shocks as a package. The seller FYI was selling both for €450...and it was set up for him at Wilber's Germany so I would have to send it back to have them adjust.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 110 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1