Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

resistor wattages

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

cb1rocket
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:14 - 30 Dec 2017    Post subject: resistor wattages Reply with quote

forgive me but search on google keeps flagging as an error!

Anyway! The problem I have is the indicators flash too fast (yawn, yes i know!) and I need to fit resistors in parallel but at what wattage and what resistance?

What I want to know is ideally what wattage should the resistors be?

Working on one side of the original indicator setup.

Bulbs are 21w, therefore x 2 = 42w.

Leds are 2w, therefore x 2 = 4w

42w - 4 = 36w of unused power still needed to be pulled through the relay.

Assuming I have this right, the resistance of the resistors need to be=
R = V/I . We have volts which is at 12v (ok its about 13.5v when running, but to keep things simple we'll say 12v) but not current so we need = P = VxI. rearranged = I = P/V
Therefore 36w / 12v = 3 amps

Therefore resistor = R =V/I
Therefore 12 / 3 = 4 ohms.

My question is, the resistance sounds too low and what is the formula for power dissipation in watts for the resistor?

temeluchus
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:16 - 30 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Might be easier to buy an electronic flasher relay to replace the mechanical one than piss around with resistors. It'll work with either.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 10:24 - 30 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with teme. Adding resistors to an LED flasher to make the relay work seems totally fucked up, adds 4 extra componants, 8 extra joins and defeats the entire purpose of using LEDs in the first place (ie, low current draw).

So yes, get an electronic flasher relay, fit and forget.

Tankie
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 10:26 - 30 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Plus 1

Islander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:00 - 30 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

As above. Fitting resistors defeats the object somewhat.

cb1rocket
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:24 - 30 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was really looking into understanding how to work out.
I know the led relay is the way to go but would like to learn the theory behind it.

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 14:28 - 30 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Theory - maybe 30 minutes of reading and understanding.

Clicking buy it on £1, 20 seconds.

I'm being paid 15 an hour. Is it really worth an extra £6.50 to know how it works, or do I just wanna get on with my day Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Tankie
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 14:33 - 30 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

The original relay needs a high current flow, this was generated by using incandescent bulbs which draw about 42 watts of energy per side , the LED's only draw a total of 8 watts, the resistors made up the difference, so if better lights and power saving is the aim, fitting the resistors is just defeating the object

cb1rocket
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:44 - 30 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paddy. wrote:
Theory - maybe 30 minutes of reading and understanding.

Clicking buy it on £1, 20 seconds.

I'm being paid 15 an hour. Is it really worth an extra £6.50 to know how it works, or do I just wanna get on with my day Laughing

I would like to learn and get on with it haha

Islander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:31 - 30 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

The theory is simple.

The original relay uses a bimetallic strip (made of two dissimilar metals with different rates of thermal expansion laminated together) to operate the contacts. When you indicate, the contacts are closed, current flows through a coil wound around the strip and heats it up causing it to bend and breaking contact. Once contact is broken, the coil and strip cool causing it to straighten and make contact again. The cycle repeats until the indicator is cancelled.

In order to make this work with an LED unit, you have to waste the equivalent power as heat in a wirewound resistor, so you'll need a 21w resistor (that's higher than needed to build in a small safety factor) for each indicator to waste 19w of power as heat.

19w in a 12v circuit means drawing approx 1.6A which gives a resistor value of 7.5 ohms per indicator connected in parallel. 8.2 ohms is a common value and will work adequately.

So you'll need 4 off 8.2 ohm 21w wirewound resistors plus all of the connectors required to connect them in parallel with each indicator. You'll need to mount them where the heat they produce won't cause any damage as well.

Or you could spend a couple of quid in a plug in replacement electronic relay that doesn't care about load and will work for either bulb or LED indicators.

Option 1 is frankly, moronic.

temeluchus
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:50 - 31 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

cb1rocket wrote:
I know the led relay is the way to go but would like to learn the theory behind it.

Light bulb is a resistor with a clear glass enclosure.

You are removing it and replacing with resistors that don't glow, and fitting a glowing diode to make up for the fact your resistors no longer glow hot.

Just google ohms law?

lihp
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:28 - 01 Jan 2018    Post subject: Re: resistor wattages Reply with quote

cb1rocket wrote:
and I need to fit resistors in parallel

Series

Triton Thrasher
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 17:34 - 01 Jan 2018    Post subject: Re: resistor wattages Reply with quote

lihp wrote:
cb1rocket wrote:

Series

Resistor in parallel with the LEDs, to pass more current and fool the flasher unit into thinking it's got bulbs.

Very not sensible, in comparison to getting a suitable flasher unit for LED indicators.

Islander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:07 - 01 Jan 2018    Post subject: Re: resistor wattages Reply with quote

lihp wrote:
cb1rocket wrote:

Series

Parallel.

It's effectively a shunt.

lihp
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:22 - 01 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good job I’m a mechanical engineer not electrical 😂

Stalk
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 10:45 - 02 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to sound like Captain Safety but all the bikes that I have seen with small fashionable led indicators, the indicators have been difficult to see as they have been so small. Are these sometimes form over function? Is it not better to stay big and give yourself a better chance of being seen?

Please don't think that I am having a go at the op, just thought that I would ask the question.

Happy New Year!

bamt
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:53 - 02 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have to agree. There are some good ones out there, but the vast majority are poorly made and almost invisible tat - no matter what price you pay. It's difficult to separate out the ones that are actually worth having, as price is no indication (no pun intended) of how good they are. With the obvious exception that if they are cheap on eBay you can probably guarantee they will be crap.

janner_10
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:40 - 02 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stalk wrote:
Sorry to sound like Captain Safety but all the bikes that I have seen with small fashionable led indicators, the indicators have been difficult to see as they have been so small. Are these sometimes form over function? Is it not better to stay big and give yourself a better chance of being seen?

Please don't think that I am having a go at the op, just thought that I would ask the question.

Happy New Year!

Put some on my CBR around 5 years ago, lasted about 3 days and went back to stock. Would not buy again.

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:35 - 02 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

bamt wrote:
With the obvious exception that if they are cheap on eBay you can probably guarantee they will be crap.

So far, the cheapest set I've bought is the best. 3 day delivery as well, decent visibility, noticeably brighter than the 10W bulbs the bike came with. Needed bigger bullets crimping on, but *all* of them have needed that.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/4x-Universal-15-LED-Motorcycle-Motorbike-Turn-Signal-Indicator-Light-Lamp-Amber/222710010257

However - Avoid these little bastids - Fucking useless.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/4pcs-12-LED-Motorcycle-Motorbike-Turn-Signal-Indicator-Amber-Light-Universal-12V/131600960848?epid=2071419287&hash=item1ea4074d50:g:4i8AAOSwYwJaFOyS

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 11:44 - 03 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can also fit one, larger resistor on the output from the flasher relay. The one labelled "L".

I did this years ago on a bike that kept popping those mini 21w flasher bulbs. I replaced them with 5W instrument panel bulbs (same size fitting, were just about bright enough) which worked but didn't then flash. My solution at the time was to fit a 21w bulb and holder in series with the L-wire on the flasher relay under the saddle where it couldn't be seen. Effectively a resistor.

That was a good 20 years ago though, before LED flashers were a thing.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 105 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1