Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Adventure or Heritage?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers
View previous topic : View next topic  

Miguel Pereira
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 15:07 - 30 Dec 2017    Post subject: Adventure or Heritage? Reply with quote

Hello All, i'm new here, so please don't be mean! Very Happy

First, a bit of background. I'm 34y old, 1,85cm and have 95kg. The last bike I had was an old beatn'up XT600 8 years ago. I only have a quad now (raptor 700). I have a portuguese license for any bike.

I'm on the market for a new bike, and I don't really have a budget. I'm not really sure what is the best bike for me.
I always thought that a bmw F800GS or 1200GS or a KTM adventure would be the right bike for me, since I don't want a race bike and I'm a big guy.

That being said, my eye always lingers towards the modern heritage bikes, and I've beeing reading about bikes like the RnineT and the new Ducati Scrambler 1100, and the triumphs and guzzis out there.

Since I thing my riding will be 95-100% on roads and I dont really plan to make really big trips by bike. What kind of bike you think suits me the best? Sometimes I'll be taking my wife with me, she is 1,60m and 60kgs.

Any thougts? Or I should really just test drive and see for myself? What is more confortable for 30-50kms rides?

thanks, and sorry for my english.

Wafer_Thin_Ham
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:13 - 30 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Test ride what you like, go from there.

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:30 - 30 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

As you do not need the bike to do anything specific, for example be good off-road, or good for touring, long distances etc then any of your choices are going to work out for you.

Test rides - take the wife with you, find out what works.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:31 - 30 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

30 to 50km is really nothing. You won't have time to get a sore ass or find the bike doesn't fit you properly.

Most bikes short of race replicas are going to be fine for those sort of distances. When you are doing a couple of hundred miles at a time the ergonomics really start to show, whether good or bad.

Miguel Pereira
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 17:13 - 30 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess I could see myself doing an ocasional tryp to Lisbon (around 130Kms from where I live). So I want someting with a minimum of confort, but It's really not the priority.

Ok, that beiing said, I have a moto guzzy shop nearby. I really like the V9 design, but I'm afraid that the engine could be a little too "weak" with only 55hp. Or the torque is so high that its not really an issue? I'm not going to race anyone, but I want someting with a minimum of excitment when I twist my wrist.

And your take on the new Ducati Scrambler 1100, can it be a good option? Too overpriced for what it is?

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:29 - 30 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Miguel Pereira wrote:
I guess I could see myself doing an ocasional tryp to Lisbon (around 130Kms from where I live). So I want someting with a minimum of confort, but It's really not the priority.

Ok, that beiing said, I have a moto guzzy shop nearby. I really like the V9 design, but I'm afraid that the engine could be a little too "weak" with only 55hp. Or the torque is so high that its not really an issue? I'm not going to race anyone, but I want someting with a minimum of excitment when I twist my wrist.

And your take on the new Ducati Scrambler 1100, can it be a good option? Too overpriced for what it is?

130k is still nothing on a bike. I can manage 300km on my Royal Enfield - for a big bike that isn't shaking itself to bits 130k is nothing.

You're going to have to test the MG if you like the look of it. Torque helps but only you'll know if it's fast enough.

The Scrambler is overpriced for what it is because it's a Ducati but if you can afford it then they're desirable, so second band prices tend to stay strong.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 80 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1