Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Moving Windows Server 2012 R2 to new hardware.

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone
View previous topic : View next topic  

chris-red
Have you considered a TDM?

PostPosted: 11:37 - 31 Dec 2017    Post subject: Moving Windows Server 2012 R2 to new hardware. Reply with quote

Hi all,

I have a Gen7 HP microserver, I want to upgrade to a Gen10. I was wondering what the easiest way would be.

Normally I'd bung the new drivers on and just move the hard drive across. However my Gen7 uses a BIOS while I think the Gen10 uses UEFI. So I don't think that would work.

Anyone done something like this before what's the easiest way? I've a lot set up on it I don't want to start from scratch. Also the System drive will be staying the same.

Thanks,

Chris

PS, I can use Google, I don't need someone to Google it for me. I'm only after info from people that have done something like this before.
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

UncleFester
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:49 - 31 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can use Acronis and then restore that backup in a 'base driver' mode - lets you move stuff between varying hardware types. UEFI is going to be your primary issue though and i've had varying degrees of success.

Or ... now is a good time to Virtualise it and restore the server as a VM.

kawakid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:46 - 31 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm presuming you are a home user, with an OEM version 2K12.

Sorry I do have lots of server experience, but we have a KMS server and most are VMware.

colink98
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 10:05 - 02 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

have a google for changing a BIOS to UEFI

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/14286.converting-windows-bios-installation-to-uefi.aspx

first step is going to be taking a good backup.

chris-red

PostPosted: 11:37 - 02 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes this will be home use licence is not an issue Wink

panrider_uk
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:53 - 02 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you run Hyper-V on the new server you could use M$'s Virtual Machine Converter to create a virtual image of your existing server then just load it up on the new one.[/url]

chris-red

PostPosted: 12:15 - 02 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

panrider_uk wrote:
If you run Hyper-V on the new server you could use M$'s Virtual Machine Converter to create a virtual image of your existing server then just load it up on the new one.[/url]

I assume there are performance overheads with running in VM? the Reason for the upgrade is the Gen 7 stutters streaming 4k media, I don't want to lose out performance. Other than that it is perfect for what I need. I'd upgrade the processor if I could.

panrider_uk
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:21 - 02 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've not tried streamed video from a M$ server but we run most of our production servers virtualised - file server/Exchange/Accounting/SQL Databases).

The easy restores from .vhdx files and server replication (hot spares) make it worth any performance hit for me.
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

chris-red

PostPosted: 13:01 - 02 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

CPU is at 100 Thumbs Up

colink98
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 15:25 - 02 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

chris-red wrote:
CPU is at 100 Thumbs Up

is the server performing any type of transcoding when streaming rather than just acting as a file share ?

I used to do this when using an Xbox360 as a media player.
never really liked it at all and in the end i spent for ever re-encoding media files.

now day's i just use a Kodi box as a network media player with the files being held on a Synology box.
the Kodi box just plays anything without requiring the synology to do any type of work.

even an old CPU with a simple GPU with HDMI will deal with Full HD.
i cant imagine its going to take much horse power to play 4k.

better then replacing the Gen7 ?

if you need bits for the Kodi box i can have a root around to whats spare.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 87 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1