BCF: Bike Chat Forums

2018 BCF Photographers & Videographers Thread

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Going
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 01:32 - 21 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anybody using wordpress. I've got one photo that keeps going to shit when I upload it and even adding a little code to stop compression doesn't seem to help. Got to be missing something.

oldpink
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:46 - 21 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stevie GooGs wrote:
This guy is a nutter

https://vimeo.com/251960468

my balls vanished into my stomach when I was watching that Shocked

Theory & hazard 24-may 2016, CBT 8th June 2016, MOD 1 2nd Aug 2016 Mod 2 2nd-Nov 2016 - Current bike CBR 600 RR
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

oldpink
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:48 - 21 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Going wrote:
Anybody using wordpress. I've got one photo that keeps going to shit when I upload it and even adding a little code to stop compression doesn't seem to help. Got to be missing something.

whats the format and image property's, size dimensions ??

Theory & hazard 24-may 2016, CBT 8th June 2016, MOD 1 2nd Aug 2016 Mod 2 2nd-Nov 2016 - Current bike CBR 600 RR
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Going
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 23:56 - 21 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

oldpink wrote:
Going wrote:

whats the format and image property's, size dimensions ??

Both Jpg and PNG. From 1500x1122 (3KB) upto 4640x3772 (2.6MB) in sRGB.

This is the photo. The background should be light blue fading to a dark blue but I get this.
https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4661/39792877362_b9295a3982_b.jpg

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 01:05 - 22 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure it's been asked before but......

What is a reasonable starter camera for someone who hasn't used an SLR since you put kodaks finest inside them?

I have an Canon IXUS point and shoot but would like something a bit more versatile. Second hand probably as I don't want to spend a lot and then find I can't be arsed with it.

Will be mainly used for wildlife and canal photography.

Jewlio Rides Again LLB
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:19 - 22 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

The question I'd ask us if you really do need/want a DSLR or would a suitable bridge camera do. I have an SX170 which is the size of a compact but has most of the features of an slr. The only downside is the zoom is only about 15x (optical).

I bought an SX430 which has the zoom I want but less features. Can't alter the aperture and shutter speed as easily. But the Powershot series of camera are generally very good ime.

rpsmith79
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:26 - 22 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jewlio Rides Again LLB wrote:
The question I'd ask us if you really do need/want a DSLR or would a suitable bridge camera do. I have an SX170 which is the size of a compact but has most of the features of an slr. The only downside is the zoom is only about 15x (optical).

I bought an SX430 which has the zoom I want but less features. Can't alter the aperture and shutter speed as easily. But the Powershot series of camera are generally very good ime.

I'd echo those initial comments "do you really need a DSLR"

But what i would say is "do you want an interchangeable lens camera" as there are now lots of mirrorless cameras about (FF to M4/3rd sensor sizes), that still give the flexibilty to change lens to suit your needs, but generally half the size/weight of a DSLR

I say this as i have just switched from a Nikon D7100 and half a dozen lenses, to a Sony A6000 with a few lenses, and apart from shooting wildlife at a distance, or fast moving sport, the Sony is a very capable camera, with many features you won't find on many DSLR's

Also, if looking 2nd hand, you can't go far wrong with MPB, i have bought and sold a fair bit of kit from them over the past few years

And to keep it on theme, i shot this with my A6000 this weekend

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4763/39799655312_e64880cfc6_b.jpg
Pulp Fiction Vs Gloomy Bearl
by Richard Smith, on Flickr

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:47 - 22 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

I'd echo the above comments, to a degree, as it largely depends on what you will want to use the camera for ..

If you intend to take low light photos, and/or action photos, such as air displays etc then a dslr is almost essential.

Also, whilst, bridge camera's image sensor quality has improved, it's still not fully on a par even the introductory level dslrs. As for image quality, well, that will be largely down to you choice of lenses on a dslr, which could become pretty expensive !!

Currently I have a Nikon D7200, and, mostly use it with a Tamron 16-300mm lens, which makes it a good all round setup, the lens you can pick cheaper now that they have brought out a 16-400mm lens, I also have a Sigma 50-500mm lens which I use occasionally.

I also have a Nikon P900. It has a massive zoom, the type of which would be very cost prohibitive on a dslr, it's a nice camera, but not as good for fast moving subjects or subjects in low light.

Before that I've had Canon DSLR's and both Fuji & Canon bridge cameras. They each have their advantages and disadvantages..

On a side note, my daughter has a Nikon D3100, and the Tamron lens (mentioned above) works very well with it, and the D3100, acts as a very good introduction to DSLR's and you can pick them up relatively cheaply.

I also have a Sony HX50 that I stick in my pocket. Picture quality is pretty good, decent optical zoom, and small.

doggone
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:14 - 22 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

You really don't need SLR nowadays, they are just way to big and bulky especially to carry on a bike..
Mirrorless bodies can do almost everything just as well and a better at video, but the higher end compact cameras with 1" sensors are almost as good and have full manual options if a little more tricky to access everything.

I'd look at Sony RX100iv if not m5, or the Panasonic LX10/15 or Canon G7x and just forget about changing lense faff altogether.
The Canon would be a good massive upgrade and much of the menu will be familiar to an Ixus user.

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:43 - 22 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

doggone wrote:
You really don't need SLR nowadays, they are just way to big and bulky especially to carry on a bike..
Mirrorless bodies can do almost everything just as well and a better at video, but the higher end compact cameras with 1" sensors are almost as good and have full manual options if a little more tricky to access everything.

I'd look at Sony RX100iv if not m5, or the Panasonic LX10/15 or Canon G7x and just forget about changing lense faff altogether.
The Canon would be a good massive upgrade and much of the menu will be familiar to an Ixus user.

Again, it depends on your use, as to whether a DSLR is needed or not. For example, what use is a Canon G7x for distance wildlife photography

4x optical zoom (24-100mm equivalent), and no view finder, making it far more difficult to track fast moving objects. For most of the times I use a camera, the G7x would be useless, but, for someone else, it might well be ideal.

Jewlio Rides Again LLB
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:48 - 22 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found the Canon SX I had was more than good enough for air shows etc. I've had the 110 and the 170, unsure which it would have been in 2014, but it was one of the two.

Not saying I could sell my photos or anything, I'm just an interested amateur who does no processing etc. But someone with a bit more knowledge etc. would get even better shots, I doubt the untrained eye would tell the difference.

https://imgur.com/a/9V8LR (Taken from FB, so they've been compressed).

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:59 - 22 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a batch of mine..

Taken with my DSLR, from Cosford Airshow last year

https://aircraftpics.no-ip.org/Cosford/20170611/index.html

Again, these too have been compressed using jAlbum

Of those photos..

The B1 flypast was in attrocious weather, my bridge camera just would not have got a decent shot, due, amnly to the limitations of the lens, the amount of light it lets in ..

The Tornado flypast, at least the fast flypasts, again would have been a struggle for the bridge camera, as at the shutter speed needed, the iso would have to have been much higher ..

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:59 - 22 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've rather disliked the bridge camera my wife has. It's an Olympus something but to me it seems like too much of a foot in neither camp rather than either.

A question on mega pixels. My IXUS is something like 16 mega pixels. I have seen DSLRs on ebay for under £100 with 1 or 2 zoom lenses but they are either 6 or 8 MP. I appreciate the optics will be better but will I get decent pictures or not.

I'm talking something like this (probably £100-£150 at finish) purely as I would think it has everything I need to see if I really want to delve deeper into the dark art or just stick with my point and shoot.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Nikon-D50-DLSR-Bundle/122915975930?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

Edited to add...

I want a good zoom for wildlife I would think and the 8x optical on my IXUS is pretty dire to use. Maybe because it has no viewfinder but I just cannot get it into shot and zoomed in time.

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:15 - 22 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:

Hi, potentially, that could be a reasonable buy, but, you'd want to know the shutter count, as, if you think about it it, this camera must be at least 11-12 years old.

It was an entry level dslr when first sold, so, odds are quality might not be all there.

I would say that this is possibly a better option than the D50

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Canon-EOS-400D-Digital-Camera-with-Accessories/152865001558?hash=item239776d056:g:E0kAAOSw7p5aWmeu

Or perhaps ..

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Canon-EOS-1000D-18-55mm-Lens-Tamron-55-200mm-Lens/173079810191?hash=item284c5c508f:g:U8AAAOSwSKtaULAf

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:16 - 22 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, either way, when ordering a 2nd hand DSLR, always ask for the shutter count, and make sure the sensor is clean !!

Jewlio Rides Again LLB
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:27 - 22 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there a way of checking the shutter count on the camera? Have a 650D here that is the wifes.

rpsmith79
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:28 - 22 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there a way of checking the shutter count on the camera? Have a 650D here that is the wifes.

Take a shot and upload it here, or any number of "shuttercount" sites

https://shuttercounter.com/

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:33 - 22 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could try

https://eoscount.com/

Or, install the Magic Lantern firmware

https://builds.magiclantern.fm/index.html

Youtube howto vid here ..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CMeKKCoPBDY

oldpink
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:03 - 22 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stevie GooGs wrote:
This guy is a nutter

https://vimeo.com/251960468

you made the BBC news Thumbs Up

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-scotland-42777400/wild-swimmer-goes-for-a-dip-in-frozen-loch-glascarnoch-in-highlands[/url]

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:17 - 22 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

rpsmith79 wrote:

Take a shot and upload it here, or any number of "shuttercount" sites

https://shuttercounter.com/

I can't check, as I no longer have any of my canon's, but, I'm pretty sure, Canon don't write that info as part of the exif data

oldpink
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:42 - 22 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

you can connect your camera via usb and get the shutter count that way
a couple of the astro imaging packages I use tell you the shutter count
and I also have magic lantern so pretty easy to find out

_Will_
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:59 - 22 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
I've rather disliked the bridge camera my wife has. It's an Olympus something but to me it seems like too much of a foot in neither camp rather than either.

A question on mega pixels. My IXUS is something like 16 mega pixels. I have seen DSLRs on ebay for under £100 with 1 or 2 zoom lenses but they are either 6 or 8 MP. I appreciate the optics will be better but will I get decent pictures or not.

I'm talking something like this (probably £100-£150 at finish) purely as I would think it has everything I need to see if I really want to delve deeper into the dark art or just stick with my point and shoot.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Nikon-D50-DLSR-Bundle/122915975930?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

Edited to add...

I want a good zoom for wildlife I would think and the 8x optical on my IXUS is pretty dire to use. Maybe because it has no viewfinder but I just cannot get it into shot and zoomed in time.

Fuji X S1 - very capable bridge camera with long, manual zoom.
|| 1999 Cbr1100xx Blackbird ||
||| 2000 Kawasaki Zx12R ||| (|2009 Street Triple R |) // 2004 Honda Hornet Streetfighter \\|=| 2000 BMW R1100S |=| ------ My Bikepics page ------
Suffering Bike Withdrawal.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:00 - 22 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is a good bridge camera, but, suffers noise at higher iso's, so, for, say wildlife photos, you need to have optimal lighting conditions, which can be a little restrictive

Stevie GooGs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:55 - 23 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

LoL my video of the wild swimmer has went a bit nuts online.

BBC News most watched video yesterday and got a lot of media companies asking to use it. Thumbs Up
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

doggone
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:06 - 23 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stevie GooGs wrote:
LoL my video of the wild swimmer has went a bit nuts online.

BBC News most watched video yesterday and got a lot of media companies asking to use it. Thumbs Up

How did they initially discover it do you think?
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 56 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4