Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

2018 Health and Fitness Thread

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 27, 28, 29  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:34 - 09 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Went to a meeting yesterday, there is an all weather basketball/6 a side football pitch, big metal cage with a net over the top. Fence is mesh bar, very tough.
I can just get my fingers in the gaps, no toe holds

So...wearing gloves, I managed to climb up the outside, hand over hand, gripping with just my fingers. 😀
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

DrDonnyBrago
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:49 - 09 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mid 2017 I joined a gym and got back under the weights after 8 years off. Going well until i picked up a shoulder impingement injury in October, still healing so my bench and OHP numbers have taken a big hit. As such, 1 RM goals:

Squat: current: 170 kg, aim 200 kg
Deadlift: current: 165 kg, aim 200 kg
Bench: pre-injury: 120kg, aim 120 kg

Some way to go yet. Plan is to continue as I am with squatting twice a week, up the frequency I deadlift from about twice a month to twice a week and let the shoulder heal before trying any heavy bench stuff.

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:01 - 09 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

DrDonnyBrago wrote:
Mid 2017 I joined a gym and got back under the weights after 8 years off. Going well until i picked up a shoulder impingement injury in October, still healing so my bench and OHP numbers have taken a big hit. As such, 1 RM goals:

Squat: current: 170 kg, aim 200 kg
Deadlift: current: 165 kg, aim 200 kg
Bench: pre-injury: 120kg, aim 120 kg

Some way to go yet. Plan is to continue as I am with squatting twice a week, up the frequency I deadlift from about twice a month to twice a week and let the shoulder heal before trying any heavy bench stuff.

squat - 80k
dead lift 100k
bench 70k

I'm weedy Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

_Will_
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:16 - 09 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't remember where I wanted to be, but with a wedding looming i'm cutting down and bowing to society's ideals so keto at the moment, after wedding it's all about the strength. Would really like a 250 total in snatch and c+j.

Numbers at the mo
Dead:250
Squat:200
Bench: n/a (oly lifters don't bench)
Snatch: 105
Powerclean + Jerk :125
Overhead jerk:135
Log:105
|| 1999 Cbr1100xx Blackbird ||
||| 2000 Kawasaki Zx12R ||| (|2009 Street Triple R |) // 2004 Honda Hornet Streetfighter \\|=| 2000 BMW R1100S |=| ------ My Bikepics page ------
Suffering Bike Withdrawal.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:19 - 09 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

_Will_ wrote:
Can't remember where I wanted to be, but with a wedding looming i'm cutting down and bowing to society's ideals so keto at the moment, after wedding it's all about the strength. Would really like a 250 total in snatch and c+j.

Numbers at the mo
Dead:250
Squat:200
Bench: n/a (oly lifters don't bench)
Snatch: 105
Powerclean + Jerk :125
Overhead jerk:135
Log:105

when you park you bike up, do you just like pick it up and carry it into the drive? Laughing

AshWebster
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 19:27 - 09 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

any tips on getting to sleep early? i feel its the only thing holding back my gym progress over the past 6 months

stephen_o
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 21:01 - 09 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I rejoined a Gym a few weeks ago, I am/aiming to go once a week and work out at home twice a week. Get back on Mountain Bike starting with a couple of mile circuits and then further into local trails and alike. The big one is to try and start running. I haven't run since I was 14 and I couldn't do big distances then. Plus points I am 9st wet through and just need to get a bit of beef back on the frame.

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:20 - 09 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

stephen_o wrote:
I rejoined a Gym a few weeks ago, I am/aiming to go once a week and work out at home twice a week. Get back on Mountain Bike starting with a couple of mile circuits and then further into local trails and alike. The big one is to try and start running. I haven't run since I was 14 and I couldn't do big distances then. Plus points I am 9st wet through and just need to get a bit of beef back on the frame.

I started running again 4 years ago. I was pretty fit and healthy, but found I couldn't run very far without having to walk a bit, lungs were willing, but the rest of me wasn't. Best thing is start with a couch to 5k plan, an walk-run-walk and take if from there, Too easy to over do it too early on.

Oh, and early on, plan circular routes near your home, so that you are not too far away if you need to cut it off and head back.

Few weeks later, you will be running 10k no bother Thumbs Up

Course, you could just try an push 10k straight out, but might pick up an injury.

waffles
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:56 - 09 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had my first session at my running club tonight. We did interval training (1 minute run, 1 minute fast walking x8 sets) so didn’t run for too long. I still feel knackered though! Im going back on Thursday for more of the same then from next week we are going to start increasing the time for running.

There is a Colour Run taking place near me in a couple of months and I want to do that. Goals!

stephen_o
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 23:43 - 09 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have done weights tonight then done a couple of miles on my mountain bike. I heard about couch to 5k on the radio earlier this evening - I will look into that tomorrow as I was in the same position as you. run a bit, fall to pieces, run a bit more, fall to pieces even more.

DrDonnyBrago
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:32 - 10 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went to the gym at my normal time of ~9.30pm on Monday and it was like the last lifeboat off the Titanic. Every bit of equipment had someone on it, queues of fresh faces for stuff that nobody gave a toss about last week. I didn't stay.

Yesterday I went at 10.45pm, still about 3x more busy than normal but reasonable and I got on a cage. It's a cheap, city gym not far from student zone so hit bad by the noobocalypse, is everyone else's gym complete havoc at the moment?

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:07 - 10 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't go to one, might be why I'm so weedy, must got a squat rack, Olympic bar, dip stand, few weights, etc

DrDonnyBrago
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:38 - 10 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

thx1138 wrote:
Don't go to one, might be why I'm so weedy, must got a squat rack, Olympic bar, dip stand, few weights, etc

If I had space I'd buy a cage, bar, bench, plates and be quite happy. My garage is full of bikes, BBQs and tools hence having to mix it with the proles.

waffles
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:53 - 11 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Second session running tonight, im feeling pretty good! My new trainers are much more comfortable than my old ones and my knee feels fine. I think I am going to start doing a few swimming sets too to build up some stamina.

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:17 - 13 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

did park run today, circa 27m30s, very crowded start, also didn't want to get my best trainers muddy, so didn't overtake much traffic at first, took me a lap to catch the 30m pacer who I know, chatted to him for half a lap, and then ran on

tbh I couldn't have done a whole lot better 25m maybe, I'm still chasing the 23m barrier, pb is about 23m10s

cycled there, then afterwards used the pull up bars in the parks little outdoor gym, met an old friend and was showing his young son how to do chins ups as he was very impressed I could do it from a full stretch Laughing getting his dad to lift him up to the bars and lower himself down

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:46 - 13 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

gah, every time I stand up too quick I'm on the space shuttle, it's most annoying, has happened on and off all my life, (though I've only ever blacked out twice), but after a run it happens every time for most of the day now, unless I remember to stand up very slowly, which I often forget.

recman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:48 - 13 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Managed to get out on the bike for a couple of miles.
Properly adjusted things when I got back home, it's not until you do any kind of distance do you find out what to tweek.
Spot on now.
I actually felt better than I thought I would, certainly better than the first outing, that was bloody murder.
Average speed was around 12mph.

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:58 - 13 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

My hybrid jumps out of gear sometimes, and it sounds a little and feels a lot like the crank bearings need replacing, so don't want to let rip on my bicycle till its sorted

Wafer_Thin_Ham
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:01 - 13 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back went ping at the gym last Sunday. Physio Wednesday, back to the gym tomorrow.

Fin
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:26 - 14 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I stopped going to the gym towards the end of last year and bought a bench with a barbell. I miss the gym so much but it was taking up too much time and money (10 miles away, 20 mile round trip + workout time would use up my entire evening).

The trouble I'm finding is motivation while working out at home, I can see my body getting worse and feel I'm losing my gains.

On a plus note I did a small amount of boxing this week at work and fuck me it was tiring, towards the end of the round my punches were so weak it would have been like a small child's punches. The last 30 seconds or so I didn't even throw any punches.
I had a cold shower afterwards and was still bloody boiling afterwards, it felt really good, hadn't felt that way in a long time.

What's everyone else's opinion on working out at home and boxing?

Jewlio Rides Again LLB
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:38 - 14 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought a kettlebell for home use whilst I can't get to the gym. I also bought a power tower (tm) which is currently sat outside in the back garden, waiting for warmer days to use Laughing

I find I can kettlebell without worrying about being cold outside. Laughing Laughing

Following this. https://www.onnit.com/academy/full-body-kettlebell-workout-for-beginners/

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:46 - 14 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

personally, I work out at home and get good results (for me)
I get my cardio in a running club, or at park run though, I'd be too slack otherwise

never boxed, maybe wish I had, used to do full contact karate, never been so fit as then, I only did sparring, some of my mates went in the ring and gave it the full on. I wasn't very good, but it was fun, and I was stupidly fit.

_Will_
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:22 - 14 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

In non strength related news, 14 days into keto, 9lbs down Thumbs Up
|| 1999 Cbr1100xx Blackbird ||
||| 2000 Kawasaki Zx12R ||| (|2009 Street Triple R |) // 2004 Honda Hornet Streetfighter \\|=| 2000 BMW R1100S |=| ------ My Bikepics page ------
Suffering Bike Withdrawal.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:26 - 14 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jewlio Rides Again LLB wrote:
I bought a kettlebell for home use whilst I can't get to the gym. I also bought a power tower (tm) which is currently sat outside in the back garden, waiting for warmer days to use Laughing

I find I can kettlebell without worrying about being cold outside. Laughing Laughing

Following this. https://www.onnit.com/academy/full-body-kettlebell-workout-for-beginners/

I'll give that a go later on, I've only got two a 14k and a 6k, as most my stuff i pick up cheap, or free, second hand.

recman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:52 - 14 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went further and faster.
Still don't feel I'm pushing too hard but I'm definitely starting to notice a firming in the trouser department. Whistle
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 74 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 27, 28, 29  Next
Page 2 of 29