Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

2018 Health and Fitness Thread

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 16, 17, 18 ... 27, 28, 29  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Sload
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:42 - 20 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

waffles wrote:
Parkrun #3 this morning, woke up with a bit of a head cold and a cough but managed to maintain my decent pace. New PB Thumbs Up

Wicked Thumbs Up

Noticing little pains and tweaks/impingements since getting back into compound lifting so backing off load and volume to avoid popping stuff. I'm happy to take extra time to work joints and movement before battering the muscle, it's a marathon not a sprint.

As for the earlier topic, bit of inspiration I guess? Fair play to this dude https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5f2j3aQnngw

King29
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:12 - 20 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

stephen_o wrote:
I have lost 30kg mainly 4 years ago after being put on the low fodmap diet. I did originally have a lot of unsightly loose skin but that did tighten up over time, I think over a period of 9 months. I have an area of slightly slack skin around my midriff because when my ibs is triggered I bloat very quickly and very obviously. Be patient and train and you will trim up.

That said nothing for me since August because of Water Infection (4th in 12 months) followed by bloating and cramps and at least 5 weeks of the trots on and off during a week. The Dr has urgently referred me back to the hospital and I am in a Colorectal Clinic for Tuesday night where hopefully I can find out what the fudge is going on.

Following that if I stay clear of water infections to the 30th October I have another round of tests due to establish what is going on to keep causing these.

My skin is bad, my wife no longer wants to shag me with the light on Sad also my breath constantly stinks, despite brushing thrice daily and using 2 bottles of Colgate fluoride mouthwash a month. It's the diet. Also on 1100 calories a day I hardly poo anymore, it's more a rusty wee that comes out. I need to up the calories. I've eaten 950 calories today and feel bloated.

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:46 - 22 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just did a 30mile bicycle trail ride.

Just about kept up with a cylcocross and a MTB ridden by friends in my cycle club.

I got a heavyish old bike with 8 speed hub gears and drum brakes and some knobbly tyres.

Got a few strava top 10s. Might be cos hardly anyone rides those trails I guess.

We had a play in an old quarry/sand pit too.

Got in, and refused a deliveroo shift that came available as too tired.

My first proper trail ride on a push bike. I like.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:11 - 23 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

thx1138 wrote:
J
My first proper trail ride on a push bike.

Well, the knock on effect was that it made my Deliveroo shift this lunchtime a struggle. Shocked
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

waffles
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:29 - 24 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

5km jog/walk and an 8km cycle at the gym tonight, signed up for Novembers Race at Your Pace 25 mile challenge Thumbs Up

waffles
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:12 - 27 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

More Parkrun today, I struggled. It was cold, I forgot my gloves and hat and I couldn’t catch my breath properly. Its the first time I have wanted to really give up and go home but I did eventually get round. 40 mins today so no new PB. Next week I have to go to a different run as my park is shut for the town fireworks display that evening, im checking out which local ones are fairly flat!

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:37 - 28 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trained on Friday evening.
Mostly technique and a lot less fitness.
That was fine for me, but it’s not helping me to stop being a blob!

Stopping eating the food you love is just so hard.

I did discover that amongst us oldies at the session, my resting heartbeat recovery time is the best, not that, that means jack shit Smile .

Jewlio Rides Again LLB
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:28 - 29 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

pepperami wrote:
Trained on Friday evening.
Mostly technique and a lot less fitness.
That was fine for me, but it’s not helping me to stop being a blob!

Stopping eating the food you love is just so hard.

I did discover that amongst us oldies at the session, my resting heartbeat recovery time is the best, not that, that means jack shit Smile .

What training do you do?

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:01 - 30 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jewlio Rides Again LLB wrote:

What training do you do?

Now , just Karate and self defence.

No I’m not training to be a ninja Smile , I just need something to try? To stop me seizing up and try? to retain some agility.

It’s not working as well as I’d have hoped for, I’m still a clumsy heavy old lump Laughing

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:42 - 30 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

pepperami wrote:
Jewlio Rides Again LLB wrote:

What training do you do?

Now , just Karate and self defence.

No I’m not training to be a ninja Smile , I just need something to try? To stop me seizing up and try? to retain some agility.

It’s not working as well as I’d have hoped for, I’m still a clumsy heavy old lump Laughing

Bet you'd be worse if you didn't do it though Smile

I'm still plugging along, and sometimes think I don't seem to be getting anywhere, but then I think back to how I was just four short months ago when I started again in earnest with this fitness lark, and I have definitely come a long way. I have a couple of problems that no amount of fitness training will fix, but I just remind myself of what I couldn't do that short time ago that I can now. And aside from the general fitness benefit, I feel a bit more alert...awake, so to speak, lately.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:15 - 30 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've entered a half marathon, it's the first week of December. I have hardly run for the last few weeks. Today, I had to decide if I was doing this, I am. So, three mile run for me. Walk-run-walk for wife, but I didn't stop, I kept looping back for her. We got home and I'd run 2.99 miles, so ran down the street and back.

Will try and run Thu night. Saturday, a friend with health issues is doing park run for the first time, I've promised to stick with him every week. So..... will try and get a 3mile run in before I collect him, then walk park run with him, then run the park run course afterwards and run home, should be about 8 miles....

Deliveroo... well, my stats on Strava are not that great, but... I'm on a heavy hybrid with a great big bag on my back causing all kinds of wind resistance, and so the effort through my legs is probably not too shabby. Only do it for a few hours each week, cause claim a carers allowance to look after someone, but am considering just hammering the hours and not claiming.

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:55 - 30 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:

Bet you'd be worse if you didn't do it though Smile

You’ve seen the film Seven, you know the scene with the really fat bloke who’s eaten himself to death? That would be me Laughing

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:41 - 01 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

core exercises last night

quiet deliveroo shift this lunchtime, only cycled about 6 miles

then ran 9 miles tonight, to and from a run club meet, where we did hill climbing loops, youngster athletic club also out, sprinting up the hill dragging trollies behind them on straps Shocked

I am either hardcore, or just an idiot, I have bad tootache. I ran, it doesn't hurt when I run, but when I stopped, when I came in from the cold, I lay on the floor and screamed into a cushion. Crying or Very sad

waffles
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:08 - 03 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

thx1138 wrote:
I am either hardcore, or just an idiot, I have bad tootache. I ran, it doesn't hurt when I run, but when I stopped, when I came in from the cold, I lay on the floor and screamed into a cushion. Crying or Very sad

I had excruciating toothache a few years ago, it woke me up and I shovelled down painkillers but nothing would take the edge off until I got up and walked around. Moving around does help with tooth pain, no idea why though. Go to your dentist! I ended up having root canal surgery and then a crown as I broke the tooth in between treatments and it was bloody expensive.

Another Parkrun today (#5) and I am definitely noticing some more changes. A little less flab around my knees, my calves feel much more toned and the thing I feel most happy about is that my upper arms are definitely gaining some tone back. My stamina is sorta staying the same but I jogged the first 1km this mrning rather than alternating between running and walking so I finished a few minutes faster. I went to a different place with double the number of runners so go stuck a few times with lots of people funneling over narrow bridges. So I could probably have done it slightly faster if I didn’t have to wait for that.

I have started Race at your Pace for November! 3miles down, 22 to go.

Also bone conducting headphones are pretty neat Thumbs Up

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:02 - 04 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had an emergency appt. it's helped a bit, but I think I have 2 or 3 different problems with all my back teeth on one side, including an impacted wisdom tooth that keeps getting infected, think I'm probably going to have to go back and have it out, this is the 3rd time I've had antibiotics for it this year

anyway, today I ran 9 miles, then my deliveroo earnings saw me pedal 18 miles

got another longish run tomorrow morning and another longish deliveroo shift Confused

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:39 - 04 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

so todays longish run, was Bedford Beer run.

the rules are, sign on at the pub get a number, chug a pint, get stamped, run 2 miles cross country to another pub, chug a pint, get stamped, run 2miles cross country to the starting point, chug another pint, as soon as the glass is empty you get your time Laughing

ran there and back too, about 9 miles,then this afternoons deliveroo was 19 miles.

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:30 - 04 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’ve had today off from both work and training, and I feel Soooo much better today Smile Thumbs Up .
No painful quads or back today, happy days!
Back to a long shift tomorrow and training after work on Tuesday.

I’m like Chickenstrip in that I’m plugging away at my fitness and mobility.
Slowly slowly catchy monkey.

kramdra
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:30 - 04 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Short mile run to bouldering wall, wearing the Takumi Sen's. Finally they felt light and fast and my cadence was decent, after slowly adapting to them over a couple of weeks. Hour of bouldering, and slightly longer run home.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 09:49 - 05 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trained as usual on Saturday, you know... 100 sit ups, chin ups, squat jumps, curls, core rotates etc.

Then I normally do 45 minutes of stretching... This Saturday I did not. Instead I did a 30 minute Yoga video from Youtube. I ended up stretching muscles I didn't even know existed, and now I ache like an achy thing. Admittedly I did a load of work in the garage yesterday too, but sheesh that Yoga (which was basic Hatha Yoga) was hard. Surprisingly so.

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:07 - 05 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:
Trained as usual on Saturday, you know... 100 , chin ups,

100. Chin ups. Shocked I once managed 10, and I was jerking my knees about to do it.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 11:10 - 05 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

thx1138 wrote:
MarJay wrote:
Trained as usual on Saturday, you know... 100 , chin ups,

100. Chin ups. Shocked I once managed 10, and I was jerking my knees about to do it.

Nope I do 3 sets, as many as I can do (to failure) then a few less, then ten. So at the moment it's something like 15, 12, 10 something like that. the same format goes with the other excercises. I also do hip raises, mountain climbers, plank jacks, and a couple of other things. I've been doing it for so long I think it's time to change it up though.

My lats are quite well defined! Smile

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:14 - 05 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tend to jump up to my chin up bars and then lower myself down.

I can do some of those yoga things, and I don't do yoga. Can't do them all though, just a few of the basic things I see people posting on fb

no excuse, but I've been skipping core, and weights, as I've been running and deliverooing in the same day, and I'm just tired when I stop.

waffles
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:03 - 10 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Parkrun #6, got a new PB and ran longer sections with short walks in between. I think I have 12 miles done for November Race at your Pace.

Treated myself to Maccy D’s breakfast on the way home and undid all of my hard work Rolling Eyes

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:43 - 10 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Up to 30mins jogging on the spot with 1 or 2min 'push' at the end, two consecutive days. Which means it's time to get out jogging properly, as that's what I said I'd do.
I'm aware that jogging on the spot might not be exercising the exact same muscle sets as actual running, but it has definitely built the leg muscles notably and strengthened ankle and knee joints, as well as improving cardio vascular capacity and recovery times. So I'll just have to see how I go out in the big bad world Smile
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!

waffles
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:31 - 10 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck, chickenstrip!
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 140 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 16, 17, 18 ... 27, 28, 29  Next
Page 17 of 29