Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

2018 Health and Fitness Thread

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 27, 28, 29  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Jewlio Rides Again LLB
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:06 - 14 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

thx1138 wrote:
Jewlio Rides Again LLB wrote:
I bought a kettlebell for home use whilst I can't get to the gym. I also bought a power tower (tm) which is currently sat outside in the back garden, waiting for warmer days to use Laughing

I find I can kettlebell without worrying about being cold outside. Laughing Laughing

Following this. https://www.onnit.com/academy/full-body-kettlebell-workout-for-beginners/

I'll give that a go later on, I've only got two a 14k and a 6k, as most my stuff i pick up cheap, or free, second hand.

I bought a 12kg as an impulse buy from Aldi. They didn't have anything bigger.

recman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:08 - 18 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since starting to cycle regularly again I've managed to lop off 21 seconds from my initial 3.1 mile circuit time in the space of 5 days.
If you squint, close one eye, turn your head slightly and step back 50 paces, you could almost start to see a slight reduction in the moobs.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:25 - 19 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

just tried some of those kettlebell exercises,

I was already doing hip halo, discovered it myself

not confident enough to try some of them, as worried my form will be wrong and I will hurt my back
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Bubbs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:51 - 19 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been on the intermittent fasting thing for the last week. Surprisingly easy to do. I don't eat until 12pm and don't eat after 6pm.. i'm flexible with it though.

It's supposed to increase your natural human growth hormone, allow the body to clear out damaged cells, reduce diabetes risk and a host of other things inluding weight loss.

Only been doing it 5 days but it's getting easier. Some people are loosing 5lbs a weeks doing this with no exercise. I've been including pull ups and press ups to ease back into some exercise. Interested in getting into yoga, running, kettlebells soon.

See how it goes.

stephen_o
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 16:33 - 19 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

A friend of mine does intermittant fasting both total and dry for a week at a time whilst in between following a high fat keto diet. He claims to be fitter and does more at the gym than before. I can only go off what he tells me via Facebook as he has become a recluse lol.

Personally I have had a break week due to a lot of work and busy social life this week and getting over illness, hopeing to start again tomorrow.

waffles
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:48 - 19 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone have any recommendations for interval training apps? I want something that I can set up before I go out, press play and listen to music whilst I run/walk and repeat for however many sets I want.

Bubbs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:55 - 19 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

stephen_o wrote:
A friend of mine does intermittant fasting both total and dry for a week at a time whilst in between following a high fat keto diet. He claims to be fitter and does more at the gym than before. I can only go off what he tells me via Facebook as he has become a recluse lol.

Personally I have had a break week due to a lot of work and busy social life this week and getting over illness, hopeing to start again tomorrow.

I'm planning on introducing keto later on. At the moment i'm just eating what i want (except sugary treats/drinks). I've notied some benefits.. i feel like i have a bit more energy and i'm a lot less tired in the morning which is unusual for me. I'm liking it.

I can't tell for sure about the weight loss as it's a bit soon but I do feel like my jeans top button isn't sticking into my fat flabby gut as much anymore. I'm going to keep it going so will update with any further progress.

_Will_
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:54 - 20 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keto is good if you can meticulous with it, so many hidden carbs - myfitnesspal is a must, you also need to hit your calorie needs otherwise it doesn't work so well.

Once you get over the grog of changing from carb to fat as fuel you feel fine, i'm 3 lbs away from a stone in 3 weeks and haven't lost a bit of strength or energy. At first you will notice rapid loss if you hold water.
|| 1999 Cbr1100xx Blackbird ||
||| 2000 Kawasaki Zx12R ||| (|2009 Street Triple R |) // 2004 Honda Hornet Streetfighter \\|=| 2000 BMW R1100S |=| ------ My Bikepics page ------
Suffering Bike Withdrawal.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

stephen_o
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 17:34 - 20 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I could really do with trying keto but I am intolerant to Lactose, Sucrose, Glucose and Fructose and the diet I have with the NHS is already restricted so I need to carefully plan a trial period. That said I am sure it would be good for me.

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:40 - 20 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

not managed to stick to the "body transformation plan" Rolling Eyes

but, I've not done bad overall, but frankly it's miserable eating, and effort when I don't feel like it

still, exercising well and eating okayish

park run today was 25.15, I could've easily run a sub 25, I caught some friends up and I chatted and ran, but elected not to push it, and slowed down on purpose on the last half lap, as I don't want an injury and only been back running a few weeks, hoping to run sub 23 by spring

I make a point of warming up and down properly now, something that i did not always do, and directly after park run, I go into the little free outdoor gym and do pull ups, etc then cycle home

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:13 - 20 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been training for one and a half hours four times this week.
Hard enough to make me sweat but not to hard to cause pain or injury Thumbs Up
I’m still finding it sooooo! Hard to be moderate in my eating habits Crying or Very sad , but I am trying.

Decided to start grading in Karate Shocked
I already train and work towards grades with my Krav Maga.

Three or four small sessions a week means I keep out of mischief and the pub/burger bar.
I’m not going to do four sessions every week, sod that!, but at least I have the option if I need it.

Now if my garage was clear? I could get one of my bike projects in there and save money on Dojo/gym fees?? Hmmm? Smile

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:51 - 20 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

pepperami wrote:

Decided to start grading in Karate Shocked
I already train and work towards grades with my Krav Maga.

Three or four small sessions a week means I keep out of mischief and the pub/burger bar.
I’m not going to do four sessions every week, sod that!, but at least I have the option if I need it.

Now if my garage was clear? I could get one of my bike projects in there and save money on Dojo/gym fees?? Hmmm? Smile

I'd like to do martial arts again, but probably never will, I'm not that great at it, I just liked the group training aspect.

I did English full contact karate, moved away, went to a traditional karate school, and they were nice to me, and recgonised my belt, but it was like a different body langauge, when we sparred though it all worked, but I couldn't do any of the things they did very well. So, I took up Tang Soo Do, which is a bit like Tae Kwon Do, and was reasonably close to what I liked doing in some aspects, but the sparring was tamer.

Anyway, years later, when I was a lardy middle aged man, I had the misfortune to go to some GKR karate lessons, McDojo bull crap. So I quit, but it started me getting back in shape at least.

Friend of mine part owns Storm Gym in Luton, but it is too far for me to travel https://stormgym.co.uk/

got a few free gym trial coupons kicking about, might try and use them locally

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:48 - 21 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

thx1138 wrote:

I'd like to do martial arts again, but probably never will, I'm not that great at it,

I’ll never be good at it either Crying or Very sad but I keep trying.
I am that flabby old middle aged white man flayling around trying to be a ninja Shocked Laughing
I like Krav Maga as it’s a bit more robust and we do laugh kicking/punching seven bells out of each other.

I’m to old for circuit training and trying to beat records.
I’ll never be able to compete in an Iron Man competition.

My martial arts keeps me from seizing up.

stephen_o
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 15:51 - 22 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got an hour and half in the gym Saturday night which I am still burning from. Hopefully Weights and Cycle ride tomorrow night.

recman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:09 - 22 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Didn't ride at the weekend but today I managed to take 1min 15secs off my original circuit time. Average speed is 1mph faster.
That can't be right, can it?
I can now do some of the climbs without changing down.
I suppose the improvement is partly due to today's ride being before rather than after work.

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:16 - 22 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

www.thegymgroup.com

Promo Code JAN2018

free single day pass

Just booked it in, didn't have to give bank details, not sure how the land lies there, I know where it is, so I will probably jog there, see what they've got, and hopefully let rip on an eliptical cross trainer if they have one.

stephen_o
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 23:08 - 22 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheers for the link, not one near me though. When I went to my gym on Sat they had refurbed everything and changed all the cv equip for new which looked spanking but the problem is that I like training to my heart rate and all this new equip has its heart rate monitors in the wrong places. Are heart rate watches any good?

kramdra
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:57 - 25 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did a long 25k hilly mud run on Monday. I got bad cramp near the end and it turned my piss a dark tea colour. Did 10km tonight, am not recovered.

Is this getting old? I used to be able to do this Crying or Very sad

stephen_o
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 12:13 - 25 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had bad IBS last night but got a weights session it at home.

Bubbs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:46 - 25 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just signed up for a half marathon. Not ran in years so better get started at somepoint Laughing

Cardiff half in October... at the moment i think i'm good for about 3-4km... 20km is going to be tough.

josdr
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 23:26 - 25 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

kramdra wrote:
Did a long 25k hilly mud run on Monday. I got bad cramp near the end and it turned my piss a dark tea colour. Did 10km tonight, am not recovered.

Not enough fluids/magnesium due to sweating... You can do this... Endurance is not a trait for the young Very Happy

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:34 - 27 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did park run this morning, still waiting on my official time, think it was sub 24.30

Our park run is two full laps, and one half lap with a short cut at the end. Ran with 23minute pace maker for two full laps, then slowed down. It's the first time since my injury that I've had to slow down because I was out of breath, rather than because of leg plain, which I am pleased about. Suspect it's my second fastest park run too, but I've not done that many.

I jogged round a park by my house with my doggy at 8am and again at 10am, cycled to park run and back, and ran a warm up lap at park run.

Getting there. Thumbs Up

Mid Feb, another park run in the same town opens, at Great Denham, I'm hoping on that day fewer numbers at this one, and I might choose that day to get a new pb and run a sub 23minutes.

Diggs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:02 - 27 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not smoked since Monday. Been weaning myself off tabs since far too many over Christmas/New Year, and finally reached a position where I'd rather have an occasional tug on somebody else's vape than go out and buy another packet of Drum.

I know cold turkey is the only way to stop for good, so am hoping the owner of the vape will slip in 0% as a placebo and I'll end up going cold turkey without knowing it....

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:32 - 27 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

kramdra wrote:

Mine was very dark today. I only had a cup of tea, and sip of water, and a small bowl of porridge before I ran 5k, plus warm ups etc

drank a pint of water straight after, had more water at home, and lunch

then it was dark Thinking

kramdra
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:04 - 27 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

josdr wrote:
Not enough fluids/magnesium due to sweating... You can do this... Endurance is not a trait for the young Very Happy

I drank plenty before and had a litre bottle with an electolite tab and 5 shots of whisky Very Happy
Probably rhabdomyolysis from doing too much while unfit. Im going to return to muddy hill training on the south downs to get my fitness back.

Couple more runs this week, Im upto 53km. Track run with 300-200-100 meter sprints, enjoyed the fast bits but in pain/unable to do the slow bits or walk. I think I get compartment syndrome, restricting blood supply to my lower legs.

Ive have not met any runners like me that have problems with recovery, or mixing fast and slow/ leg tightness when resting, its not a common problem.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 61 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 27, 28, 29  Next
Page 3 of 29