Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

2018 Health and Fitness Thread

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 20, 21, 22 ... 27, 28, 29  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 03:21 - 08 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clocked up over 1,000 bicycle miles in 2019 already.

Got my first time trial of the year a week on Sunday, this will be the first "SPOCO" I've done Sporting Course TT. (Though it's actually the same route as one of the evening league ones), I've only done Evening League before.

Got to get to the club house between 8am and 8:45am Sunday morning Confused
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:35 - 09 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last night was difficult for me , we were doing agility and flexibility exercises.
F*ck that ! This old man really looked like an old man last night Sad

I’m convinced the rest of the class are made of rubber.
There’s no way on God’s Earth I will ever bend and twist like they were doing Shocked .
I did my best.
Came home in one piece with everything still where it’s supposed to be and nothing pulled or snapped, happy days.

Going to be working on the breathing whilst under pressure over the next few weeks.

waffles
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:32 - 09 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

PB at Parkrun today despite walking more of it this week, I was a whole 30 seconds faster somehow.

Hoolie-gan
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 18:31 - 09 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I may be making progress on the pull ups - I was doing really slow negatives yesterday, it feels like I'm SO close!

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:40 - 09 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hoolie-gan wrote:
I may be making progress on the pull ups - I was doing really slow negatives yesterday, it feels like I'm SO close!

See if you can "wind yourself up". If I get really hyped up, and just go for it, I can manage about. well, five. Embarassed
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Hoolie-gan
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 21:07 - 09 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

thx1138 wrote:
Hoolie-gan wrote:

See if you can "wind yourself up". If I get really hyped up, and just go for it, I can manage about. well, five. Embarassed

Five sounds pretty impressive to me Thumbs Up

Maybe if I did them BEFORE deads, bent over rows and suchlike I would be able to manage ONE... and maybe if I'd actually thought about it I'd have done it before now Rolling Eyes

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 22:30 - 09 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've started cycling.

It seems quite easy to a degree, but I'm going on a 40 mile ride next Saturday, mix of road and off road.

Feels good to get out and about early in the morning!

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:58 - 09 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paddy. wrote:
early in the morning!

Confused
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!

recman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:23 - 10 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hoolie-gan wrote:

I'm actually able to lift myself off the ground a little bit, a small step I know but it's in the right direction. Everyone I see doing pull ups looks light as a feather so for for a lardy arse mother like me to make progress is encouraging.
Also, I've progressed to being able to do 3 small dips.
Feeling stronger every day. Thumbs Up

Hoolie-gan
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 18:02 - 10 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

recman wrote:

I'm actually able to lift myself off the ground a little bit, a small step I know but it's in the right direction. Everyone I see doing pull ups looks light as a feather so for for a lardy arse mother like me to make progress is encouraging.
Also, I've progressed to being able to do 3 small dips.
Feeling stronger every day. Thumbs Up

Small victories build into bigger ones Thumbs Up It's great, isn't it? Feeling stronger and being able to do that little bit more is the best motivation Smile

I'm of fairly small stature myself Wink and it is still difficult - the strength to weight ratio thingy comes into play.

Must.Get.Stronger...

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:44 - 10 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hanging from bars, and hanging one arm if you can and alternating help core strength, or just hanging. Also if your bars are high enough, hang and lift your knees up to your chest, builds core too.

Hoolie-gan
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 19:08 - 10 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep - I've been doing hanging leg raises and static holds with my legs raised. I feel that I have a fairly strong core - for example, I can hold a plank with more than my bodyweight in weight plates on my back. It's my back and my weedy biceps that are the main barrier to success... Wink

recman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:28 - 11 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hoolie-gan wrote:

Small victories build into bigger ones Thumbs Up It's great, isn't it? Feeling stronger and being able to do that little bit more is the best motivation Smile

I'm of fairly small stature myself Wink and it is still difficult - the strength to weight ratio thingy comes into play.

Must.Get.Stronger...

That's my main aim. Be stronger.
I'm not into body building or posing in front of a mirror etc.
I don't particularly want to change my shape although turning fat into muscle would be good. I'm noticing more tone in my upper body, there's a bit less jiggling going on with the tits.
I'm a porky 6'3" so you can imagine the effort it takes to get my carcass off the ground. Being able to start to do it now at 50 is a strange but welcome experience.

Hoolie-gan
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 16:33 - 11 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

recman wrote:

I'm not into body building or posing in front of a mirror etc.
I don't particularly want to change my shape although turning fat into muscle would be good. I'm noticing more tone in my upper body, there's a bit less jiggling going on with the tits.
I'm a porky 6'3" so you can imagine the effort it takes to get my carcass off the ground. Being able to start to do it now at 50 is a strange but welcome experience.

I started fairly late myself, and can't imagine NOT doing it now. Only thing is that progress is fairly slow. I know that I'm stronger - being able to pick up heavier things than I could previously is a bit of a clue - but don't see much change in myself. Will keep plugging away, though - and (grudgingly) accept that I'm not ever going to look the exactly the way I would like to. For that I should have either started earlier, or been born with some other set of genes. Ones that belong to a taller, slimmer, more muscular person... Laughing

Hoolie-gan
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 17:33 - 11 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

thx1138 wrote:

Got my first time trial of the year a week on Sunday, this will be the first "SPOCO" I've done Sporting Course TT. (Though it's actually the same route as one of the evening league ones), I've only done Evening League before.

How did it go? Smile

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:09 - 11 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

recman wrote:
I'm not into body building

It's a funny thing. When I started in a serious way to try to get fit, about 10 months ago, I only really thought about losing the belly I was fast developing, and generally feeling a bit better in myself. But as you go on and start to see improvements, naturally your goals and the things you judge them by change. Just because the flab has gone, I can't stop now. It'll just come back if I do that.

Once I started to notice muscles toning and building, that became part of how I judge my progress, although I still say to myself I'm not body building. That would be impossible for me anyway, as I lack range of movement in my left arm and shoulder which means there are many exercises I can't do at all. So I just decided to put together a set that i can do, and see where that takes me. I have increased both weight and reps gradually on those. No idea what kind of weight I'm actually using though, with my Heath-Robinson weight training...er...'equipment' - just that I've slowly added more as I've got stronger.

My back has improved noticeably with the greater core strength and naturally improved posture that has come with that, and general health is better. I now can't help but keep setting myself the next goal, and the next as I achieve each one - only in small steps still, but as long as things are improving, it's enough.

So yeah, goals have changed and extended since I started, and methods of measuring improvements have also widened in scope.
Starting into this at 52, and broken, has been interesting Laughing Sheer curiosity at what I can actually achieve with what's left of me has been a big driver for me.

Today, did a further shortened version of my walk/jog. Shortened due to the ford by which I was crossing the beck having now flooded, and the banks I jumped between having been largely washed away. Just a partially flooded 'paddock' to negotiate on that part now Rolling Eyes

1hr 23mins. Jogged more of the rest of it this time, longer sections and more of them. When I can jog the whole thing, I'll switch from jeans to trackie bottoms - I'd feel like an imposter at the moment Laughing
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:41 - 12 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hoolie-gan wrote:
thx1138 wrote:

How did it go? Smile

Ah it is this coming Sunday. Might skip it, got a really annoying cold, still doing Deliveroo. Just got soaked through. jacket gave up and didn't have my sealskinz gloves on, and the rain was cold and the wind chill really got to me. Thoroughly miserable lunch time shift.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:41 - 13 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chickenstrip's outdoor fitness-training adventures continue!
Tried to do the walk/jog course today, only to find the first bit of path from the road down to the river bank is completely flooded Rolling Eyes

Not to be deterred, found my way around the edge of a field, looking for a way to get back to the path/river further on. Much of the fields also flooded, but eventually managed to get back on course Smile

Only to find that at a bit where the path dips down and up again, the river has completely come over its banks and the path was completely swallowed by it Rolling Eyes

The water has flooded large parts of the fields along here, so after several valiant attempts to find alternative routes, I finally had to admit defeat and turn back Sad

I did jog a lot of it though - rough ground, inundated ground and much of it into a very strong wind, gusting hard, so was knackered by the time I got back to the road; must've done me some good then Smile Got a bit muddy in the process though Laughing

Met someone about to take his dogs along the river for a walk and warned him of the flooding. He told me he'd go along the bank/berm/levee built to protect the town from floods instead, and filled me in on the route out to the footbridge and park section, so I'll give that a try next, maybe tomorrow - can't be arsed to try again today, and forecast says its only going to get worse now anyway.

Jogged some of the road bit back home too, but found my joints definitely don't like running on the hard stuff, which is kind of odd, cos the route I do has many places and sections where you could easily twist a knee or ankle, yet I seem to be fine with all that. If only the Lake District fells were on my doorstep!
Only out for about an hour total.

Sload
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:37 - 13 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you thought about cycling yet? I cannot remember if you had a reason not to tbh. Getting into MTBing this year and loving it more then the road, plus it works you harder.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:44 - 13 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sload wrote:
Have you thought about cycling yet? I cannot remember if you had a reason not to tbh. Getting into MTBing this year and loving it more then the road, plus it works you harder.

No money for a bicycle Rolling Eyes
Believe me, the jogging thing has me wheezing and gasping like the prematurely old man I am as it is Laughing

Sload
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:48 - 13 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
No money for a bicycle Rolling Eyes

Ah fair enough, I picked up my first bike off Ebay, they drop to far more realistic levels of value on resales. Just a bit concerned with your joints as you say you're getting on. Running is fun but it does cause damage unfortunately. I know a few people now with problems specifically related to running.

I guess a few preferences I have over running and using the bike are:

Far less wear and tear if in fact any at all.
Far easier to control loading so you can maintain a desired workrate for far longer if necessary whether pootling or hammering.
Much further travel potential, including actual touring. Once you get past 20 miles or so you are capable of 50+ and if you enjoy riding your bike just because, well then it is a natural alternative.

Negs I guess would be proximity to Dbags on the road which is difficult to mitigate and partially environmental to where you live.
Not quite as effective as running for time investment from what I read but who really maximises outside of professional athletes.
Initial cost plus maintenance.
Ass pain till you get used to it plus finding a saddle that fits.
Lycra - seriously weird are these peeps.

Check this out https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GsAlxJjuY7E

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:55 - 13 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice of you to express concern, but there's no point worrying about my joints after all I've put myself through over the years Laughing Might as well go till I drop now.

Nope, I'm really proper skint - can't even afford a second-hand bicycle. Won't be able to afford to replace my shoes when they wear out either Laughing

waffles
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:50 - 13 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did my graduation run last night, 5km in one go and I only stopped once for a brief walk up a hill Dance!

Sload
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:17 - 13 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

waffles wrote:
I did my graduation run last night, 5km in one go and I only stopped once for a brief walk up a hill Dance!

Have some kitten celebration Thumbs Up

waffles
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:41 - 13 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kitten celebration is oddly comforting, cheers!
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 38 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 20, 21, 22 ... 27, 28, 29  Next
Page 21 of 29