Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

2018 Health and Fitness Thread

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 26, 27, 28, 29  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

waffles
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:35 - 06 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Latest progress - I can now keep a fairly constant pace of 6.48/km over 4k, I managed my last 4k run in 27:31 which I am happy with. A 5k earlier this week was a similar pace and I had a little walk during that one because it was bloody hot.

I have been bumped up a group with my run club so will be going out with the fast paced group and looking to move up to 10k's.

I have signed up for the Chessington Running Wild run in November, it goes all the way through the park which I am looking forward to! Its an early start to get there but the park is closed to the public and we get to run past the rides and animal enclosures. Woo!

And I have my 5 mile race tomorrow which I am hella nervous about....

Jewlio Rides Again LLB
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:04 - 06 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Goods luck Thumbs Up I'm thinking of getting up to do the local park run, seeing as I've a 5k this month, then an 8k next month, then a 10k in September. Hadn't been running for a month, so did a two mile last week. It hurt.

waffles
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:23 - 07 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

It started out raining, then got warm, then got humid, then the sun came out....

5 miles done! Exactly one hour dead on but I am really pleased that I made it round the course (with some walking) and crossed over the finish line at a run rather than dragging my heels.

Jewlio Rides Again LLB
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:25 - 07 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

So. My local parkrun was actually yesterday. Embarassed

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:40 - 07 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

cycled just over 380 miles this week doing deliveries

off to bed for a couple of days now
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:31 - 10 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trained yesterday for the first time in 10 days .
It was good, all my bruises and strains had a chance to heal Thumbs Up .

Trained moderately hard and came away sweating and puffing, but nothing broken, bruised, or bent the wrong way Thumbs Up happy days Thumbs Up .

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:57 - 12 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

thx1138 wrote:
cycled just over 380 miles this week doing deliveries

off to bed for a couple of days now

came back after a few days rest, smashed a PB on the hilly sporting time trial course, it was windy, and there were cars and other road users in the way, and I still got a PB. I can go faster I know I can. Cool

still averaged over 21.5mph

Also, night before I hit 40mph for the first time on my road bike. Cool
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

waffles
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:03 - 12 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did myself a mischief so am having a little break from running. I bought some Brooks trainers as they have super squashy heels and I will go for a gentle trot next week and see how I go.

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:22 - 14 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ultra 5k today. Five 5ks cross country, once an hour, with elevation.

Managed 3 sub 27s, 1 sub 30 and last one 30.32

Felt wrecked after

waffles
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:51 - 20 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two weeks off from running so I did parkrun this morning to get back into it. No aches or pains in my shins at the moment so hopefully I can start working back up in terms of speed.

My local cycling centre hosted its first ever parkrun in the hammering rain, thunder and lightning which seemed like a good idea. I had to walk a few bits but still got 36:43 which I was pretty pleased about considering that I haven’t been active at all except for one bike ride last week. Its almost the summer holidays so I have a route planned out that I can do a few times a week to start building up distance and then hopefully speed for 5k’s. I have another 5 mile race in a few months and want to take a few minutes off my previous time.

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:11 - 21 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joined A Judo club.
Now I’ve got that little bit of extra training I was looking for.

I spoke to the instructor and we discussed what I’m going to do.
He was happy that I am not going to enter competitions or that I may miss a week or two.
When I am there I will take it seriously, however it’s not my be all and end all.

It’s been good for me as I am using muscles that I don’t usually use Shocked.
Still puffing a blowing like fat bloke with no money in a cake shop!

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:59 - 22 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

waffles wrote:
Two weeks off from running so I did parkrun this morning to get back into it. No aches or pains in my shins at the moment so hopefully I can start working back up in terms of speed.

My local cycling centre hosted its first ever parkrun in the hammering rain, thunder and lightning which seemed like a good idea. I had to walk a few bits but still got 36:43 which I was pretty pleased about considering that I haven’t been active at all except for one bike ride last week. Its almost the summer holidays so I have a route planned out that I can do a few times a week to start building up distance and then hopefully speed for 5k’s. I have another 5 mile race in a few months and want to take a few minutes off my previous time.

Good for you. Try a few runs, maybe slightly shorter than 5k, 3k or 4k should do it. Warm up for 1k,then try and run 1 or 2k way above your 5k pace then warm down again. Also, a few runs sllightly longer than 5miles. 6 should do it. Combining some distance work and speed work, should get you a faster 5 mile.

Did a 14mile run today it was rather warm. Slightly disappointed as set out to run 16miles, but it's still the furthest I've ever run in one hit. Maybe should have run a bit slower.

But should be okay for the 1/2M in Sept.

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:25 - 22 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

pepperami wrote:
Joined A Judo club.
Now I’ve got that little bit of extra training I was looking for.

I spoke to the instructor and we discussed what I’m going to do.
He was happy that I am not going to enter competitions or that I may miss a week or two.
When I am there I will take it seriously, however it’s not my be all and end all.

It’s been good for me as I am using muscles that I don’t usually use Shocked.
Still puffing a blowing like fat bloke with no money in a cake shop!

I want to get into something like that, but it's money and time.

Aikido looks interesting.

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:24 - 23 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

thx1138 wrote:

I want to get into something like that, but it's money and time.

Aikido looks interesting.

Do it Thumbs Up , if you’re not bothered about grading and just go for the skills and work out, it will be a lot cheaper.

I’m lucky, I only pay a fiver a session, that’s not so terrible Thumbs Up .

Lord Percy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:47 - 05 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Better late than never, I've finally got around to my plan to get healthy 'before summer starts' (Laughing).

As of today, I'm cycling to work every day for the month to see what difference it makes.

The journey is 13km each way. I'm tracking it on Runkeeper and it's telling me the exercise is about 500 calories per journey, so 1000 per day.

For the entire month, that's looking to be about 20,000 calories.

Is there any way to roughly calculate how many kg of fat I'll shed? Just for a bit of motivation.

Current weight is 87kg, when I was at my fittest I was 77kg so that would be the ideal. I suspect it'll take more than a month of cycling though...

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:46 - 05 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

All good, except calorie count likely to be wrong, and a little lower than that.

Lord Percy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 03:08 - 06 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's fair enough. Strange actually, Runkeeper showed the real-time count as ~500 calories, but after saving the journey and opening the app again later, it had dropped down to around 400. I've noticed it does this to all tracked journeys.

Anyway I only started this a few days ago and am already noticing the slimming in action Very Happy

Bad news is monsoon rains have just begun. Had to take the metro to the office today Thumbs Down (I would happily cycle in any weather and have all the gear for it, apart from a spare pair of shoes that I don't mind getting wet..! I say that, while sat in the office with my shoes off because they got wet enough just walking in the rain today anyway Laughing)

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:40 - 10 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last night was grading night.
Two hour of shear hell for old Pepperami Shocked .
Drills, technique , combinations and more effort than is comfortable.

Pepperami gets his blue belt Smile

Today I am like a lethargic bowl of jelly, but happy Pepperami is happy Thumbs Up .

I have to go to work in a couple of hours Shocked it’ll be a struggle that’s for sure.

Sload
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:31 - 12 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lord Percy wrote:
Is there any way to roughly calculate how many kg of fat I'll shed? Just for a bit of motivation.

You might not shed any. The harder I train, the more I seem to enjoy my food and beer, funny that.

The gains you notice from progression, pain tolerance and speed.

To be fair, I'm sorta hovering weight wise and eating what I want, unlike before. If I got strict, it would likely fly off me so basically be objective in assessing your goals, use more then just weight as a metric.

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:00 - 13 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just shovel food in like there is no tomorrow these days.

Today I cycled 40 odd miles doing deliveries until my frame snapped.

Borrowed wifes bike, which is way too small, did another 20 odd miles on that, and bagged a Strava KOM on it. Laughing TBH it was an easy one to nab, and I went out of my way to do it, it was on my to do list.

Lord Percy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 03:18 - 13 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sload wrote:
Lord Percy wrote:

You might not shed any. The harder I train, the more I seem to enjoy my food and beer, funny that.

The gains you notice from progression, pain tolerance and speed.

To be fair, I'm sorta hovering weight wise and eating what I want, unlike before. If I got strict, it would likely fly off me so basically be objective in assessing your goals, use more then just weight as a metric.

Oh it's going well so far Very Happy

Diet hasn't changed a bit, if anything I'm eating less because there's nowhere convenient to stop for snacks on the way home when my arse is glued to a bike seat.

What's weird is my weight has barely changed but I'm noticing quite obvious fat loss already. I guess fat is burning and leg muscles mass is growing?

It's going well anyway. Better than expected, actually, at least in terms of 'looking slimmer'.

I consistently hovered around the same weight for a good 5 years and was in pretty decent shape, just mildly regulating diet/exercise if I ever felt a need for it. Then over the space of a year I quite literally thought to myself, "I've never been fat before, so fuck it let's have a go and just eat anything I like." In hindsight I think I was depressed or something Laughing . Anyway, since then I've never made any great effort to get back into the reasonably athletic shape I used to be in. This new cycling thing seems to be doing the job so far though.

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 08:39 - 23 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trained last night with a different/new Dojo.
I’ve been going there for a couple of weeks now.
A refreshing new/different mind set.

The instructors understand that I’m old, unfit, and as stiff as a cart horse.
They still push me and the sweat still runs off me, but it’s nice when someone understands your limitations Smile .

doggone
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:25 - 23 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anyone tried the 5:2 thing, alternate day fasting sounds too extreme Laughing
It makes sense that as hunter gathers for several million years some days you were lucky to get water.

I'd be more worried about having to keep doing it for ever or put weight back on.
Keeping weight on was more of an issue for me until back problems in 2016 which means I'm less active than before, still under 13stone though.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:03 - 23 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dropped at least a stone over last three weeks, possibly more. Lots of shovelling. I mean literally tonnes and tonnes.
Hundreds of trips with a heavily laden wheelbarrow. Looking in better shape than I have in 10 years. Stomach definition
pretty decent for my age (46) arms look well, back looks good, legs been getting used as well. Lots of sledge hammering
down of rick walls and manhandling a 40kg hammer drill smashing up concrete pads and old foundations. Pretty tanned as
well as it's all been outside while the weather has been good. I've always struggled to do exercise for exercises sake but when
there's a job to be done, I do like to get stuck right in. I'm motivated well by quickly visible progress I suppose...

As for fasting, what specific questions do you have? I fast regularly. It really suits both my body and mindset for that matter.
Only last week I went from late Thursday evening until Sunday lunchtime. Working on the Friday and Saturday as per
above paragraph. Breaking said fast with a pub roast beef dinner and a couple of pints. Food tastes amazing after a
couple of days with none. Razz It's not for everybody though. My mrs couldn't fast if her life depended on it.

doggone
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:21 - 23 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

So you're doing serious physical work on a fast day? I'm a bit worried about mucking up blood sugars or something and keeling over or losing focus halfway through doing something important (farm work here but a lot of it is just tractors).
I can imagine the increased food enjoyment afterwards, we've all had to miss proper meals for a day or two without doing it intentionally.

I might try a soft version and have breakfast then just drinks until next day.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 4 years, 219 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 26, 27, 28, 29  Next
Page 27 of 29