Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

2018 Health and Fitness Thread

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 27, 28, 29
View previous topic : View next topic  

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 22:19 - 27 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

The chances that I'll get to 100 pressups in my lifetime are quite minimal.

Bubbs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:27 - 27 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
Well done Bubbs Thumbs Up I was wondering where you'd gone with this, thinking maybe you'd given up!

I'm still plugging away, but finding now that I can't afford to feed myself well enough to really turn up the heat on this. Doing the best I can though, and have seen some marked improvements. Winter's always a bit tougher for me.

It's been a hard old slog to embed it into a habit but I think I'm there. I'm able to knock out 70 now without stopping which I honestly didn't think was possible when I started. Quite easily doing sets of 50's. When I started I was nearly hitting 30's, progression has been a bit of a shock. The body is amazing!!

My targets this coming year are 10 pull ups without stopping (4 is my current max), 100 press Ups (70 max so far) and I want to nail a one armed press up.

Also want to be doing 10km runs as my easy run. 5km is my go to at the moment.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 22:35 - 27 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bubbs wrote:
[ I want to nail a one armed press up.

Unless you are ambi-sinister like me (can wank with either hand) I'd do the one armed pressups with your off-hand, otrherwise you'll end up seriously one sided.

Bubbs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:58 - 27 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
Bubbs wrote:
[ I want to nail a one armed press up.

Unless you are ambi-sinister like me (can wank with either hand) I'd do the one armed pressups with your off-hand, otrherwise you'll end up seriously one sided.

I’m actually ambidextrous so I’ll have to do both arms to even it up.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:46 - 27 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bubbs wrote:

It's been a hard old slog to embed it into a habit but I think I'm there. I'm able to knock out 70 now without stopping which I honestly didn't think was possible when I started. Quite easily doing sets of 50's. When I started I was nearly hitting 30's, progression has been a bit of a shock. The body is amazing!!

My targets this coming year are 10 pull ups without stopping (4 is my current max), 100 press Ups (70 max so far) and I want to nail a one armed press up.

Also want to be doing 10km runs as my easy run. 5km is my go to at the moment.

I found after a while of doing it all, if I miss for a few days I'm desperate to get back to it! Plus pure boredom drives me to it Rolling Eyes

I can't currently do more than about 30 push ups at a time, due to my dodgy arm, but have done about 160 total in one day, although I've now started doing less but more of other exercises for pecs and triceps. I also vary between ordinary push ups (hands shoulder width apart) and push ups with hands touching, which is supposed to concentrate through the triceps more.

Up to 80 sit ups at a time now, but also do leg raises to work slightly different muscle sets.

Just checked - I can do a few one-armed push ups on my good arm! Smile

Running, alas, is out for me. Tried it, knees can't cope. So for legs I do jogging on the spot sessions, which I think are probably more akin to skipping rope, good for the calf muscles (when I don't overdo it and give myself that damn DOMS injury!), stair running, which my knees seem strangely able to cope with and gives me a good CV workout, and squats.

I'll never be able to do pull-ups with this knackered arm and shoulder - there are a few exercises like that, but I think I manage to work most things now.

I didn't do any working out for ages because of this damned arm/shoulder, thinking yeah, gonna look odd working out one side only, but I look feckin odd anyway so what the hell Laughing the 'bad' arm has coped quite well - surprised me a bit actually.
Just curious to see where it all takes me really. Early death probably Laughing
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Bubbs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:53 - 11 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

200 press Ups every other day is going good so far. Just managed a pb of 80 press Ups without stopping. Every other day pull ups is starting to feel better. Gone from bad form 4 to good form 4 with the 5th being losing form.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:49 - 11 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bubbs wrote:
200 press Ups every other day is going good so far. Just managed a pb of 80 press Ups without stopping. Every other day pull ups is starting to feel better. Gone from bad form 4 to good form 4 with the 5th being losing form.

Now you're seeing progress, has it occurred to you to find a more comprehensive goal, perhaps in some kind of sport/competition?
It's difficult for me with my injuries, so the working out improvements are kind of the goal in themselves, but I sometimes find myself wishing I had something more specific to aim for.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Bubbs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:35 - 11 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
Bubbs wrote:

Now you're seeing progress, has it occurred to you to find a more comprehensive goal, perhaps in some kind of sport/competition?
It's difficult for me with my injuries, so the working out improvements are kind of the goal in themselves, but I sometimes find myself wishing I had something more specific to aim for.

I have indeed. This is all contributing to my climbing. I'm planning on kiting out the attic as a climbing wall so all this will help with my grip etc.

Finger board will be going up soon too

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:16 - 12 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bubbs wrote:
Just managed a pb of 80 press Ups without stopping. .

I did a press up once Shocked

I’ve had six weeks off ALL training due to ligament injury to the right knee.
Went back to light training on Friday.
Mainly technique and no leg work at all.
It was good to get back into some form of training, even if it didn’t push me very hard.
Six week break, it’s surprising how stiff you get in such a short period of time.
I’m only going to do light training under close supervision by my instructor for the next month.
I’ll see how things go before I turn things up a notch.
I might even try and do another press up when I’m better Laughing

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:36 - 12 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

pepperami wrote:

Six week break, it’s surprising how stiff you get in such a short period of time.

Last year was the second year where I had a month off around September time. Each time, I was shocked at how much I'd regressed, although it did come back a bit easier the second time.
We're getting old Peppers, just got to admit it and train according to our limitations. I still enjoy it all a lot though, and get a lot of benefit from it - that's enough Smile

But three days ago I got that DOMS injury again! Calf muscles again - seems I'm really prone to this now. Have to try and be a bit more careful. Resting today as well, as despite the DOMS, yesterday I decided to start working a bit harder on flexibility - lots of leg stretching exercises added to my usual 15/20min warm-up stretch. So today I also have a bit of an ache in my right thigh, which may have something to do with when I broke it all those years ago - still got the plate/rod in there. Will have to monitor that one carefully too.

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:40 - 12 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

DOMS is so easy to acquire Sad , it creeps up on you and you don’t even know it until the next day Evil or Very Mad

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:46 - 12 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

pepperami wrote:
DOMS is so easy to acquire Sad , it creeps up on you and you don’t even know it until the next day Evil or Very Mad

And I don't know if it's normal for it to leave you vulnerable to more episodes once you've had it? It seems to have for me.

Supposedly, once you've had it, it's meant to be easier to detect the point where you'll cause it if you continue, and I have to admit I went on longer than I thought I should. Thankfully didn't get it quite as bad this time, but still bloody annoying, and holding up my progress on this one thing. And particularly frustrating as it's one of the few things I can do for a cv workout, so it's really important to me to be able to continue.

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:47 - 12 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:

We're getting old Peppers, just got to admit it and train according to our limitations.

OLD Eh? I have no idea what you mean Laughing

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:50 - 12 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

pepperami wrote:

OLD Eh? I have no idea what you mean Laughing

You're only as old as you feel.
I must be feeling the wrong bit Laughing

drzsta
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:49 - 13 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smashing out press ups for reps sake can do more harm than good.

I got in the habit of focusing on speed and numbers rather than form and full range of motion and it was a real shock when somebody actually pointed it out. I was cheating myself for the sake of thinking I was smashing 70 press ups no issues.

Slow it down and focus on chest to floor and elbows locked out.

Fairplay for giving up booze for the whole year, I know that is something I couldn't do - I love the taste of Guinness too much Laughing

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:27 - 14 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

*looks at watch*

*looks at thread title*

*looks back at watch*

*shakes watch*

*leaves thread in disgust*
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 4 years, 96 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 27, 28, 29
Page 29 of 29