Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

2018 Health and Fitness Thread

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 27, 28, 29  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Powderhead
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 11:01 - 29 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

stephen_o wrote:
I did day 3 of week 1 of the C25K tonight.

"Cool" Cool

Parkrun is worth a go when you feel ready for it. There's a huge range of abilities there so it feels inclusive. Not a bad way to spend an hour at the weekend!

Probably already been suggested earlier in the thread, but I couldn't be bothered to check Middle Finger

stephen_o
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 11:46 - 29 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. THX posted details of a local park run to me which started last week, I didn't know about it and will have a crack once I am doing 5km. I did 3.5km last night in 26 mins including warm up and cool down.

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:51 - 29 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Id do it now, people walk park runs, so you won't be last.

Going to Hampshire coast tomorrow got about 3 park runs to choose from, probably do lee on Solent

Last night i did 1hr40mins on my exercise bike, the computer is a bit wonky, and i can't reset the clock, but at 100minutes, it resets to zero so 😀 heart rate hardly moved above 80, i had to hammer it at max resistance to get it over 100

No substitute for road riding uphill i guess
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

stephen_o
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 12:01 - 29 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find riding an exercise bike in the gym to be terrible compared to the real thing. And besides it bores me stupid sitting there for ages looking at the same stuff - I am a nosy sod so my attention wanders quickly.

Powderhead
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 12:02 - 29 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

thx1138 wrote:
Id do it now

+1. A run/walk strategy would work if you can't run 5km without stopping yet.

stephen_o wrote:
I find riding an exercise bike in the gym to be terrible compared to the real thing. And besides it bores me stupid sitting there for ages looking at the same stuff - I am a nosy sod so my attention wanders quickly.

Me too, sitting on a stationary bike on your own for an hour is miserable. Ditto treadmills.

If you've got some decent spin classes at your gym then give them a go - I find them really engaging Thumbs Up

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:20 - 29 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, but I'm in training for a 12+hour bicycle ride so I kinda have to do it between bike rides

it's not so bad, as I am at home watching movies on Amazon Prime

don't belong to a gym, got a squat rack, olympic bar, rower, stepper, exercise bike, balance balls, kettle bells, chin up bars, resistance bands etc

most of it was being thrown out, or got cheap from junk shops/charity shops, just the sqaut rack and bar that cost a lot, but that was like 4 years ago, so it's paid for itself in saved gym membership
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:46 - 29 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had a good session on Tuesday, but no training on Friday because of Easter Sad .

Got a fair bit of work on this weekend so no training until next Tuesday Sad .

I’ll have to make an extra special effort not to eat to many Easter eggs and hot cross buns!

Diggs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:47 - 03 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not had a tab since January now. Not feeling the urge to either as weaning myself off the nicotine by using a vape and gradually reducing the strength. Down to 0.3 now, but using it like a baby uses a dummy, so need to start limiting times as well...

stephen_o
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 15:47 - 03 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

On Saturday Night I started week 2 of couch to 5k which took the running upto 90 seconds followed by 2 min walking repeated 7 times (i think) and Monday night was night 2 of this as well. After both I did some weights. On Saturday I felt a bit pushed because of the extra running but ok, however I got caught out yesterday because I put a hoodie on under my running jacket and by the time I got to half way I was absolutely steaming, I wont be doing that again. Running wise I seem to be handling the rough pavements a bit better as my first couple of runs contained so rough footwork. Tonight is a restnight with night 3 tomorrow evening.

Yesterday I bought some more shorts and t-shirts that fit me! all my others predated my weight loss.

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:05 - 03 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just got back from my dads, I travel light there on the bike, cos I keep lots of clothes and bike kit there. Needed a belt, mine was soaked riding down, only spare one I had I had to put extra holes in, even on the smallest hole it was way too big. Last wore circa 2013, just before I started to get into shape.

Did the local park run, fast course, but narrow and very crowded for first lap. Got my second fastest ever time, and fastest without a pacemaker, could've maybe got a 5k PB but shoe lace came undone, and put me off enough to slow down a bit.

Bank Holiday Monday I did a 5 mile run, at a nice gentle 9min mile pace.

Dad's got a multi gym, which with a few adapations, is quite good. i.e I kneel on the floor, and take some links out of the chain, to do pull downs,

Used that twice. So, I had a cheap easter break, and ate just a small amount of chocolate and kept in shape, and got to ride my Honda on some really twisty and obscure country roads.

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:09 - 04 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

After A shed load of work and falling down the stairs over the Easter weekend, I was not really in the mood for training last night.
However, I still went.
We were doing ground work (Faggoty wrestling) and it was hard work.
I`m glad I made the effort to go, but today I feel like I`ve been put through a mincer.

I ate a load of junk over the Easter period, so now I need to get back into sensible eating again Mad .

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:27 - 04 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

pepperami wrote:

I`m glad I made the effort to go, but today I feel like I`ve been put through a mincer.

will do unless you do it semi-regular at least

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:31 - 04 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

thx1138 wrote:
pepperami wrote:

will do unless you do it semi-regular at least

Ooo! yuk,! Men touching each other Sick
On a serious note,you’re right, but sometimes it can be a bit uncomfortable.
No point in being all ninja and not being able to get off the ground Shocked Laughing

stephen_o
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 21:24 - 04 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I completed day 3 of week 2 of the couch to 5k tonight. Like last weeks day 3 I extended each run by a count to 10. After I have done a round of weights as well. I feel wrecked. My ankles are sore and my right hip. I have a couple of rest days now before starting week 3 on Saturday night, I expect the running time to increase which will mean I have to extend my route again.

kramdra
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:47 - 05 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yesterday planned 21km, ran 6km. Tight achillies and calf not recovered from last week. Today 15km. 127km behind where I should be for the year 2000km goal.

stephen_o
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 14:35 - 09 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I started week 3 of c25k on Saturday night. I realised when I started running that I still had some knee pain from earlier in the week, still made it through. Normally after this I would do some weights but I had a full morning of Shooting on Sunday so needed to not give my arms and shoulders grief. Back to it tonight.

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:36 - 09 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

weight training is pretty nonexistent right now, not deadlifting, limiting squats to 40kilos, and over head press to 30k, to try to avoid any injuries - partly - and also, time too tired...... doing a bit with all the kettle bells, dumbells etc, but not a whole lot

Saturday, cycled to park run long way, did park run, cycled back long way, dusted down the rowing machine, and got under 4min 1ks easily.

Today, I just cycled 102miles non stop. Quite chuffed with that. Smile

stephen_o
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 22:22 - 09 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did the 2nd day of week 3 of c25k, I was still in some pain in my legs from Saturday and so parts were unpleasant particulaly making the switch from walking to running each time. Now my legs feel wrecked so will take a bath instead of a shower to try and relax them a bit better. No weights tonight, I had an hour and half of ....erm ironing! lol. Over the last week I had thanks to the wet bank holiday polished off a huge amount of home baking which hasn't helped me so having finished that this afternoon I am looking forward to settling back down. I just need my legs to be better. I thought originally I would struggle with the breathing and stitch which plaqued me as a child but no - thats all good, the brain and upper body is willing, its the legs that are reminding me that I am doing something new and different. The final minute of the 4th run (2nd of 3 minutes) was hard on the legs. I am busy on Wednesday till late so have scheduled the next run for Thursday hoping that the bonus of 2 recovery days will help.

stephen_o
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 22:27 - 09 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

thx1138 wrote:

Today, I just cycled 102miles non stop. Quite chuffed with that. Smile

Congratulations! that's a real achievement although I don't know how you find the time! I haven't ridden my mtb since I started c25k although I hope that once I have reached my zenith with the running I will alternate every other day with run or a cycle.

On my way to a shooting comp on Sunday morning I encountered a number of groups of road cyclists and noticed that non that I saw were on mtb or even hybrids and I have been looking at road bikes again but due to finances a purchase will be later rather than sooner.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 22:53 - 09 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Semi almost given up on the weight loss, but my weights programme has been transformed by just performing reps to failure rather than a set number. Hovering around the 10st mark right now, which is above average BMI... I know, I know BMI is b0llocks. I have a better bodyfat percentage now though, so if I do lose a bit more weight I could get to my 10% goal.

I'm also learning the 3rd form of Wing Chun from my teacher, known as Biu Jee which should help me to improve there a bit. I'm hoping to move on to the wooden dummy relatively soon, although it's taken me a few years to get this far. My teacher is fairly exacting, which is what I need, so I'm happy to learn it pretty slowly.

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:41 - 10 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:

I'm also learning the 3rd form of Wing Chun, I'm happy to learn it pretty slowly.

Said in a Chinese voice “slowly slowly catchy monkey “
Speed is nothing without technique and technique needs to be learnt slowly.

stephen_o
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 11:54 - 13 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did day 3 of week 3 of C25K and it was agony and I am in bad pain in my legs today. I wasn't loose in the legs, they were tight to the point of it feeling like a run-hobble. I have given myself 4 rest days before week 4 starts but in all honesty I am going to have to do something about the pain in my legs. Today I am wearing calf guards under my normal socks to see if that helps. This morning I struggled to get down the stairs lol.

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:04 - 14 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well at the start of the week I cycled 102 miles. Took me two days to get over it, and this weekend, I got a new 5k pb at my local Park Run - was 10 seconds faster at Whitley, but that is much flatter with less traffic.

Quote:
Your time was 00:23:31.
Congratulations on completing your 15th parkrun and your 14th at parkrun today. You finished in 77th place and were the 72nd male out of a field of 438 parkrunners and you came 5th in your age category VM45-49. Take a look at this week's full set of results on our website. Congratulations on setting a new Personal Best at this event! Congratulations on your fastest time this year.

23:31 the mysterys of endurance and effort - my local 10k pb is a sub 47, admittedly slightly less elevation - but even so, don't know how I did it, was two years ago, but I'm fitter now than I was then.

stephen_o
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 12:54 - 14 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am going to have my running gait checked out the next time I go to decathlon. I want to do more but the legs are wrecked. I do think that I hit the ground very hard, I always wear the heels down on shoes.

Powderhead
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 10:57 - 17 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quit smoking. It's only been three hours and I'm already climbing the walls Laughing
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 1 day ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 27, 28, 29  Next
Page 7 of 29