Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

2018 Health and Fitness Thread

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 27, 28, 29  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:05 - 25 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

stephen_o wrote:
My cousin did a 75 mile ride on one of his road bikes on Sunday - according to strava his average speed was 17mph which is faster than the flat out maximum of my mountain bike. Hence why I feel I want a road bike.

I'm hoping i will find I am super fast on a road bike once I finally get one, I get the odd comment at the moment, as I not only ride a steel hybrid, but I haul up to 5kilos of kit, food and drink (for the camel hump) in my flight vest Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:06 - 26 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Second of two time trial league training nights tonight.

Quite a few comments about how suprisingly fast I am on a mountain bike, (I call it a hybrid). We rode the route in small groups, and I maintained an average speed of about 17mph, my legs and lungs were burning though, and it helped that I was drafting all the time.

Still, quite chuffed with that. Couldn't keep that level of effort up for long though.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

stephen_o
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 17:21 - 30 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yesterday I did day 2 of week 4 C25K and after learning some warm up routines and stretches etc earlier in the week completed this and had no discomfort afterwards and have been fine all day today. I hope finally to be back on track making progress.

Bubbs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:37 - 01 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

stephen_o wrote:
Yesterday I did day 2 of week 4 C25K and after learning some warm up routines and stretches etc earlier in the week completed this and had no discomfort afterwards and have been fine all day today. I hope finally to be back on track making progress.

What does your warm up consist of? I'm shit at doing that... I just start running.

Powderhead
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 10:20 - 01 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bubbs wrote:
What does your warm up consist of?

Still running, but slower Razz

AshWebster
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 10:36 - 01 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

anyone else done 5x5 workout? started it this week will let you know results.

Powderhead
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 10:55 - 01 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

AshWebster wrote:
anyone else done 5x5 workout?

Yeah, I have. It works... but it's brutal. Be prepared to eat and sleep A LOT.

Which programme in particular are you doing?

stephen_o
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 10:55 - 01 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Powderhead wrote:
Bubbs wrote:
What does your warm up consist of?

Still running, but slower Razz

Laughing

I will try and find the geezer on youtube and post the link here, the C25k has a built in brisk walk of 5 mins at the start which is supposed to warm you up but that clearly wasn't enough for my ageing legs so I do this before - My balance can be a bit iffy sometimes so I have to work harder to keep myself upright lol when on one leg.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dB5W4LZf0JU

edited cos I made a mess of the link

Last edited by stephen_o on 11:46 - 01 May 2018; edited 1 time in total

AshWebster
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 11:33 - 01 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Powderhead wrote:
AshWebster wrote:
anyone else done 5x5 workout?

Yeah, I have. It works... but it's brutal. Be prepared to eat and sleep A LOT.

Which programme in particular are you doing?

workout A - squat 5x5, bench 5x5, barbell row 5x5
workout B - squat 5x5, overhead press 5x5, deadlift 3x5

(personally im adding in some arms and abs after each workout too)

been off gym for 6 months but before i was at (not great figures as i didnt rly stick to anything)

~80 bench
~90 squat
no idea on the others

so ive started on

40 bench
40 squat
30 row

will probs do 30 ohp i guess or maybe less who knows

adding on 2.5kg every workout. ill see where im at in 3 months. if i dont deload any weeks i SHOULD be at 18x2.5 increments which is 45kg added onto each

so aiming for 85 bench
85 squat
75 row

figures are kinda skewed at the moment and i should piss 85 squat but if i hit those figures in 3 months ill carry on increasing.

edit: i'm 6" and around 10.5 stone. so skinny af at the moment. last year i went from 10.5 to 12.5 in 3 months and looked a lot better so ...

Powderhead
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 13:03 - 01 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

stephen_o wrote:
the C25k has a built in brisk walk of 5 mins at the start which is supposed to warm you up but that clearly wasn't enough for my ageing legs

My 5-minute treadmill warm-up works for me, for both running itself and for lifting...

1 minute at 4.5km/h
1 minute at 6.5km/h
1 minute at 8.5km/h
1 minute at 10.5km/h
20 seconds at 8.5km/h
20 seconds at 6.5km/h
20 seconds at 4.5km/h

...followed by some dynamic stretching. I'll also do a couple of warm-up sets for the first couple of exercises if I'm lifting, at 25% and 50% of the work set weight.

Give it a try. If you're not warm by the end of that, check your pulse - you might be dead Laughing

AshWebster wrote:
programme

Consider buying this if you're doing 5x5s. It's a brilliant book Thumbs Up The Starting Strength online forums contain a wealth of useful information too.

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:39 - 01 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

just got in from a 100 mile bicycle ride, I always will be slow on a hybrid, but my average speed was 13.3mph which is an improvement, would have been higher - but I stopped to chase a stray dog that was in the road, and wave the traffic to slow down. Didn't catch him, but did shoo him away onto a bridleway, and then postie turned up in hot pursuit as he knew whose dog it was Laughing

I won't stop to take pictures for the bike picture thread on a training ride, but I'm too soft when it comes to dogs.

Anyway, yeah 101 miles in all. Bit tired, stayed local and did loops of time trial routes mostly, elevation was about 3,500ft. Didn't fancy riding 50 miles away from home and then heading back, in case I got too tired, I'd only be under an hour from home.

Strava didn't die. Got a new phone that does, so my old phone, everything stripped off except the operating system pretty much, and it has one job.... end of the day, it said battery still had 75% Shocked Thumbs Up

Bit puzzled, I drank most of my 2litre camel pak - ribena. my bottle of water, 500ml. Which I refilled at a shop and drank, along with a 300ml cold perrier.

Didn;t need the loo all day. When I got in I did an egg cup full of wee, that looked radioactive! Shocked

Rather than rest on my laurels for the rest of the week, I plan to do time trials day after tomorrow. Be a rubbish time, but I can only get better, first one of the season.

stephen_o
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 22:56 - 01 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had recovered quickly from Day 2 week 4 of C25k, I think the warm ups and stretches have really made a difference so I did day 3 tonight which I had originally put for tomorrow night. I did it and again increased my distance to 2.67 miles, the final minute of each of the 5 minute runs was hard but the difference with my legs after these 3 sessions compared to the agony I was in 2 weeks ago is astonishing. In addition to the stretches and warm ups I had bought running tights - I don't know if that has made any difference as such but it certainly made me feel comfortable against a cold wind. In addition did weights on Monday and Tonight prior to running. My aim is to do 2 quick sessions of weights a night for the next couple of weeks and see how I go, I want to try and put a bit of beef on the bone lol.

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:20 - 03 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

1st time trial tonight, i averaged 17.4mph on my hybrid mtb and wasn't last. I was nearly last 😀

Panda1909
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 00:38 - 05 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

AshWebster wrote:
anyone else done 5x5 workout? started it this week will let you know results.

there's a good app for this, strong lifts I think it's called?

you input your 1RM for each of the lifts, and it plans out the work outs for you, working out the drops for you. If you can go higher than the recommended lift, put in what you did and it'll calculate where you should go next.

As for results, after a month and a half my 1RM went from;

Squat - 80 to 180
Bench - 70 to 110
Dead lift - 100 to 195
OHP - 30 to 50
Row 35 to 80

you'll be surprised just how much the sheer amount of form work and confidence under the bar will improve your lifts. My squat went from 80 to 110 within a week or so, just because i was more confident in what I was doing.

I'd also recommend doing a variation of the lifts as well every so often, so things like a front squat, rack pull, close-grip bench, dumbbell OHP, board press and Svend press. Just so you're working different parts of the muscle (and to stop you getting bored of only doing the same 5 lifts constantly)

Bubbs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:55 - 08 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did my first park run... I thought it was supposed to be easy, it was the hilliest fucking thing I've ever done. Managed 33:32 which put me 91 out of 110 runners.... I AM SLOW! Laughing

The winner did it in 16mins... Shocked

Also did my first 10km run, surprised that it all got quite easy after about 5km and felt I could just keep on running.

stephen_o
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 11:08 - 08 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Monday morning I started Week 5 of C25K and having decided to do it first thing realised it was the right decision in the heat. Even at 9am I was boiling. I managed a slightly shorter route of 2.5 miles in 26 minutes though I felt rough at times. Legs recovered quickly. I was able to do gardening for the rest of the day.

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:13 - 08 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bubbs wrote:
Did my first park run... I thought it was supposed to be easy, it was the hilliest fucking thing I've ever done. Managed 33:32 which put me 91 out of 110 runners.... I AM SLOW! Laughing

Also did my first 10km run, surprised that it all got quite easy after about 5km and felt I could just keep on running.

110 I'm jealous. Always hundreds at mine, no matter how near the front I try to get, there is always a bottleneck and a hold up Crying or Very sad

Bubbs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:43 - 08 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

thx1138 wrote:
Bubbs wrote:

110 I'm jealous. Always hundreds at mine, no matter how near the front I try to get, there is always a bottleneck and a hold up Crying or Very sad

I assumed 110 was a lot

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:05 - 08 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

no it's very few, you maybe either live someplace remote, or it's a new park run less than a year old, or both

Powderhead
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 11:27 - 09 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're all lucky. My local Parkrun has 1,300-ish runners every week Shocked

_Will_
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:34 - 10 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

26 lbs down so far this year, hitting decent workouts lately cardio up there with the strength Karma
|| 1999 Cbr1100xx Blackbird ||
||| 2000 Kawasaki Zx12R ||| (|2009 Street Triple R |) // 2004 Honda Hornet Streetfighter \\|=| 2000 BMW R1100S |=| ------ My Bikepics page ------
Suffering Bike Withdrawal.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:55 - 10 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

cycled about 20 miles Monday, social

50 miles Tuesday
50 miles Wednesday

about 20 miles today, including an 11 mile time trial, I wasn't last, and on my hybrid mountain bike I got an average speed of 18.1 mph Very Happy

stephen_o
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 21:57 - 10 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^^Good Progress then.

I did day 2 of week 5 of c25k tonight and ran for 16 minutes roughly 2.25 miles out of 2.75 which is double what I did in week 1 and I have recovered quickly. Did some weights after as well.

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:57 - 11 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

So the eating less rubbishy food thing is slow progress as I am fond of a burger Sad .
Still training twice a week and that’s progressing slowly, but I’m happy with that Thumbs Up .

So now I need some mild exercises to improve agility and flexibility/movement.
What does the mighty BCF recommend?

Thanks Thumbs Up

Bubbs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:35 - 11 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did a 10km yesterday. People have always told me that if you can do 5km then 10km is easy... hadn't realised what they meant, but this is my 2nd 10km distance and it's true. After around 5-6km my breathing totally relaxed, all muscles eased and it all became easy... and actually really enjoyable.

These vibrams are amazing... no pain anywhere and this morning I woke with tired calves but other than that it's lovely. Going for another park run tomorrow.

Smile
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 323 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 27, 28, 29  Next
Page 9 of 29