Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

2018 Health and Fitness Thread

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 27, 28, 29  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

stephen_o
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 22:41 - 13 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

A day working in the garden, a couple of miles ride to supermarket on my mtb, weights and a warm up and then week 5 day 3 of C25K and after the 5 min walk warm up I ran non stop for about 21-22 mins - the app telling me to stop after 20 but I had after feeling like sh1t at 15 mins gone through it and was starting to get into gear so when told to stop I decided not to - I had extended my route again and did 3.1 miles in total of which about 2.7 were run non stop.

I have never ever run that distance or run for that length of time non stop. I really can't believe the difference a few weeks of sticking to it has made.

Having mapped out the route on a program I use I have covered with some of the warm up and cool down 5.1km so I could say that I have achieved the goal but my aim is to run 3 miles and then try to improve my speed. Todays route taking about 36 mins but I did stop running a distance from the house so I can work on that over the next week or so.

Bubbs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:11 - 14 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shaved 3 mins off my last park run 5k. Increasing stride length is helping loads

Powderhead
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 12:05 - 14 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bubbs wrote:
Shaved 3 mins off my last park run 5k. Increasing stride length is helping loads

Interesting, I might try to work on my stride length too Thinking

I found trying to keep a constance cadence of 90rpm (180 steps pm?) helped bring my time down a lot.

Bubbs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:21 - 14 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Powderhead wrote:
Bubbs wrote:

Interesting, I might try to work on my stride length too Thinking

I found trying to keep a constance cadence of 90rpm (180 steps pm?) helped bring my time down a lot.

My cadence is slowing the longer my stride is getting. Currently at about 170-175. Downloaded a whole playlist of tunes at that exact speed. Pendulum Slam is a great one to run to.

Powderhead
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 21:13 - 14 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bubbs wrote:
Pendulum Slam is a great one to run to.

That's exactly how I did it too, just made a dnb mix at 180bpm and ran to it Thumbs Up

stephen_o
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 20:07 - 16 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I started week 6 run 1 of C25K. When I pulled the app up and it told me walk 5 mins, run 5 mins, walk 3 mins, run 8 mins, walk 3 mins, run 5 mins then finish with walking 5 mins I burst out laughing too my lodger saying this would be a walk in the park compared to Sunday.

Famous last words. It was a slog despite the distance being slightly less I think having the breaks actually made me worse as I got later in.

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:21 - 17 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

only cycled for a week. Cycled Sun,Mon,Tue,Wed,Thu

Sun - 35 mile social club ride
Mon - 50 miles solo
Tue - 35 mile social club ride
Wed - 50 miles solo
Thu - 10 miles Time Trial

Slower Time Trial, but worse weather, and did it on sore legs from previous day. Last ten miler I rested up 2 days first. Also, might have been slower, but was one place higher up the league table.

In my cycle clubs Strava league, I'm generally in the top 3 each week, for distance and elevation, and the slowest for average speed Laughing

I will go back to all forms of working out next month, but I have a 150mile bike ride coming up
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

kramdra
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:35 - 20 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did a 5 mile race, time 32 min and 30th of 500, the route was just short of 5 miles so no strava pb for that but got pb for 2 miles and 5k Very Happy

stephen_o
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 11:50 - 25 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have completed week 6 of couch to 5k running last night in 22c for 25 mins 2.89 miles altogether. I had to stop for a car and also to retye my laces (first time they have ever come undone whilst running) and each time it took me 20 or so seconds to get myself going again but to do it esp in the heat compared to how I was a few weeks ago is some journey.

I am now going to alternate things because I am not getting out on my mtb as much as I would want so Today rest day, Tomorrow mtb, Sunday rest, Monday run etc.

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:33 - 19 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saturday before last, I cycled pretty much non stop for 130 miles, 6,000ft climbing. 9.5hrs moving, 10hrs all told.

Weds, too tired to ride all the way back, so got a lift halfway and cycled 65 miles.

10k running race Sunday just gone, not a great time, but I was very sore, roughly 300th out of a 1000. About 52mins. It's still a mystery to me, how I ever ran it in 46mins, as that is faster than 2x my park run PB

5k recovery run today

Got a bicycle Time Trial on Thurs.

Plan now is to slack right off the cycling, probably just time trialing, and train for a half marathon first week in September, and start over on the core training and weights etc which didn't get a look in the last 3 months, nor did green laning, so be back doing that as well
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

stephen_o
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 23:00 - 19 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Over the last few weeks I have been job hunting due to the collapse of my self employment. As most applications now seem to involve computer tests some of my time that I would be doing fitness work has had to be used for that. In addition I have been back on antibiotics due to a water infection which the Doc believes has been bought on through dehydration - I had run 2.5 miles 2 nights before and the night before done 6 mile on the mtb. So I haven't been at my best.

I have though run 2/5 mile twice a week and have also been out on the mtb twice a week doing different circuits and my weight has dropped slightly.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 09:22 - 20 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I, too have no job right now, but I have some money so I'll be OK for a couple of months I reckon. I've been training really hard three times a week, (which I tried to do when working, and it was mostly successful) but I've also transformed my diet. I've lost 5lb in three weeks and I'm hoping to reach the weight I was before I started this last job a year ago.

I've also been training the 3rd form of Wing Chun (Biu Jee) and It's really helped my Kung Fu overall. I'm moving a bit nicer and just generally a bit tidier.

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:35 - 21 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:

I've also been training the 3rd form of Wing Chun (Biu Jee) and It's really helped my Kung Fu overall. I'm moving a bit nicer and just generally a bit tidier.

Some young herberts were sniggering at an older lady doing Tai Chi moves as a warm up at park run recently.

guess they just take movement, and a lack of aches and pains for granted at their age

I am intending to drop around a stone now, in time for a half marathon first week of Sept. Simples, 3 meals a day, no snacking - just an energy gel at the end of a run or cycle. Weigh out my breakfast cereal, stick exactly to a meal plan. Basically, the same method I used when I got in shape 4 years ago, but I was 4 stone overweight then.

Did a time trial tonight, on my hybrid - still in very nearly last place, but got a new PB, average moving speed 18.25mph Very Happy

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:50 - 22 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still trying to be moderate in my eating habits, sort of?.

Sparred on Tuesday and did a bit of exercise beforehand.
Two different opponents Shocked although not at the same time Laughing .

My kit was soaked to dripping, my heart was trying to push out of my chest and I got a good hiding Shocked
But I felt better for it afterwards.
Wow! what a way to try and get fit.

I need more movement and agility to progress and I try work on that.

I found out where a lot of my restricted movement issues are and that is in my left hip.
I have stuff all core muscles and that is not helping.

The funny thing is that for outdoor endurance (up mountains/walking/swimming) I can do fairly well and seem to be able to outlast people younger/fitter than me.

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:07 - 22 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

pepperami wrote:
The funny thing is that for outdoor endurance (up mountains/walking/swimming) I can do fairly well and seem to be able to outlast people younger/fitter than me.

endurance often improves with age, to a point

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:27 - 29 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

right, back on it, sort of

running twice weekly
time trialing weekly

sets of core thrice weekly, press ups, squats with weights, pull ups, sit ups, dips, tricep dips, leg raises

slacked so far off the core exercises, that it was bit difficult to get going, but I'm okay now, week or two, and I'll re-introduce free weights a couple times a week too

diet pretty good, but wobbled a bit the last two days, but overall pretty solid

only thing is, since I started joining in these health and fitness threads, about five years ago, I can feel my age creeping up on me, I just can't quite get the times I used to on 5k and 10k runs.

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:39 - 01 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

thx1138 wrote:

only thing is, since I started joining in these health and fitness threads, about five years ago, I can feel my age creeping up on me,.

Welcome to my world grandad Laughing

el_oso
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:27 - 08 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Need some no-impact cardio recommendations.

Recovering from SLAP repair (shoulder keyhole) and arm will be fully out of the sling at the end of next week. Meant to be running a half marathon in September so need to start doing something so that my fitness doesn't fall off a cliff. I'm walking to the station most mornings and evenings but would appreciate any ideas for some higher intensity exercises.

Only thing I can think of so far is to get a trainer for my bicycle and cycle upright.

_Will_
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:03 - 13 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joined Strava this week, last week converted my hybrid to a gravel/cx bike and love it. Enjoying the cardio because of it Laughing
|| 1999 Cbr1100xx Blackbird ||
||| 2000 Kawasaki Zx12R ||| (|2009 Street Triple R |) // 2004 Honda Hornet Streetfighter \\|=| 2000 BMW R1100S |=| ------ My Bikepics page ------
Suffering Bike Withdrawal.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 12:43 - 14 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finished learning the movements of Biu Jee, but I still need to refine it. My Sifu is very much a perfectionist, and I'm OK with it. I want to be good at it. No, scratch that I want to be great at it.

I have also sorted my Wooden Dummy so it's the right height for me. I have to modify the leg to suit, but other than that it's good to go.

Down to 9st 12 today which is pretty good considering.

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:27 - 19 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

running slowly increasing, core going well, diet - yeah, nah

to quote a meme I saw recently, I kinda look like I work out, but you can tell when someone offers me a cookie I don't say no

tonights time trial, I got a pb of an average speed of 20mph, part of that is new bicycle, but spurred me not to eat junk for tea Laughing

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:07 - 21 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trained hard last night Shocked ....... finished dripping in sweat.......aaand stopped off at Mc nasties on the way home for a couple of burgers and fries Laughing ??

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:20 - 21 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

This morning I did do park run, but ran there, ran a whole park run distance before the kick off and ran home 8 miles total. Cutting it a bit late, but half marathon training - for Sept 2nd. should be able to run 2 times a week, increasing distance each week to do it.

I have a niggling achilles tendeopathy, but I can train around it, sorta. Can't afford a sports physio until I get a new job. Suffered last week when I set a park run pb, this week, slowed the pace down, not too bad.

then this afternoon, went out and rode 12 miles on my new road bike, really went for it, and not suprisingly got a string of PBs - particularly on the climbs - be interesting to see how I do on a 60 miler

stephen_o
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 20:48 - 21 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a new job which is physical and I need to clear out my old shop over the next 5 weeks so I will be working very hard doing that so I had eased off the training. I went out on the mtb twice in 1 night doing around 8 miles but haven't run due to the heat recently.

Since starting running my legs have got bigger and I can no longer get into slim fit trousers or jeans although I have virtually lived in shorts for the past 10 weeks so not an issue at the moment but what is an issue in a reverse type way is my legs have become more powerful for cycling to the point that for the last few weeks I haven't been in the lower 2/3rds of my mtb gearing and often have been riding at "max" speed so I really need a road bike. Once I have the shop cleared and have had a couple of months wages from the new job then I hope I can sort it out.

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:01 - 22 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

just went out for a really quick spin on the bike, to see how the pump and drinks cage felt, only put them on the bike this morning, and how the tools felt in a bum bag

bit of new road done last month, whizzed down there, and now I am melting, I've not sweated like this since I tried jogging in Singapore Shocked
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 250 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 27, 28, 29  Next
Page 10 of 29