Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

2018 Health and Fitness Thread

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 27, 28, 29  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:01 - 21 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

recman wrote:
It's quite an eye opener when you get into stretching and flexibility movements, isn't it?

It is when you're older and less fit than when you did these things before Laughing
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:36 - 27 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

feck all exercise last few days, only cycled a hundred miles in the week, did a few weights yesterday

fed up, black moods, depressed etc

I just live with it, try to avoid self sabotage and eating too much junk, if I can't run - which I just couldn't face this weekend, walk the dog or try and do something

everything just too much effort though

got a half marathon on Sunday, will probably enter it, assuming my race pack arrives
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:15 - 28 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been resting for the last couple of days as I've managed to injure a calf muscle - stairs especially have been hell!

What worries me is that there were no signs whilst training that I was overdoing it, nor immediately afterwards. I wasn't even feeling particularly fatigued during or after the particular exercise I think caused the injury. It wasn't until next day that it was obvious, and got worse for a couple of days.

Now, I accept that I can't train like I did when I was younger - improvements will take longer, and I probably can't even reach the same levels of fitness that we can in our younger days, but if an injury can be caused with no signs or signals warning you when it's time to stop, wtf do you do?! Worrying.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:25 - 28 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Google 'doms - delayed onset muscle soreness'

Did a quick 30miles on my bicycle today, trolling leisure cyclists, see them in the distance struggling up a hill on their town bike, so i really go for it and shout good morning as i whiz past 😀

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:58 - 28 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

thx1138 wrote:
Google 'doms - delayed onset muscle soreness'

It does sound like just what has happened here - thanks for that Thumbs Up

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:01 - 28 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah it happens to me sometimes, I did a 12 mile run weekend before last, and I hurt my shoulder of all things.

legs quite strong from cycling, and I do run a lot, but the pumping my arms back and forth as a I run over an extended time caused some discomfort which got worse, and then went away by the following weekend

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:06 - 28 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you continue to exercise before it felt completely healed? Maybe less strenuously? Do different exercise that didn't aggravate it? (everything seems to aggravate a calf muscle injury, lol). Rest completely?

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:45 - 28 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just excercised around it, took it a bit easier

Four5
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 22:15 - 28 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, every year I have many tasks to do but I fail. Unfortunately. I was going to a gym in February but it was a bit expensive and I decided to work out at home. Every month I am doing some workout challange (this month 31 days plant challange). It really motivates me!

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:46 - 28 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Four5 wrote:
Oh, every year I have many tasks to do but I fail. Unfortunately. I was going to a gym in February but it was a bit expensive and I decided to work out at home. Every month I am doing some workout challange (this month 31 days plant challange). It really motivates me!

I guess you mean plank? Laughing

I find the standard plank easy, I get bored before I quit usually, can't do some of the fancier varieties so easy.

Rather then keep paying gym fees, about 4 years back, I shelled out on an olympic bar and weights - thanks to G keep urging me not to buy non-olympic ones! Also, a squat rack. Cost about a years gym membership, but was money well spent. Picked up cheapo dip bars, and the odd free weights, etc, and I work out at home whenever I want.

So, after my 30 mile cycle ride this morning, I ran 6 miles this evening. Did lots of core last night, and where I'd been skipping stuff, caught up on my fitness app, by doing about 3 days worth. Bit sore now. Shocked

So, that's it. Rest up until the half marathon on Sunday, oh, except I have a days trail riding in the morning.

waffles
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:31 - 01 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I joined up to parkrun today, with the aim to do my first one in a couple of weeks when I can run a bit further.

I'm still doing C25K but had a couple of weeks away from it so restarted from scratch. I am just about to finish week 2 so would be fine to do it if I walked and ran it, I would prefer to run more than walk though! I am currently doing a little over 3k in the half hour session which is definitely progress for me Laughing

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:15 - 01 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

cool Thumbs Up

Half marathon for me in the morning Confused

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:42 - 01 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trained Friday. , our instructors have decided to put a bit more emphasis on fitness.
Only 20 minutes of core exercise, but it nearly bloody killed me.
Jeez! I am so unsupple and so unfit Evil or Very Mad Crying or Very sad
Some pad work and combinations, then sparing.

First spar was with a younger lad, .... wisdom and experience with a tiny dose of meanness saw me through that ok Thumbs Up Smile
He was glad to fight someone with more experience who could show him the gaps in his approach.

Second spar was with one of the instructors,.....ow! Ow! Ow! , took a heavy side kick to the thigh Shocked .......kin ell! I can certainly feel it today that’s for sure.
Sparing with instructor reminded me of just how much further I need to go .

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:40 - 02 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did the half marathon. 2hrs dead by my watch, not sure of my chip time yet. Struggled a little bit towards the end, but a new pb by about 15mins anyway.

Threw up everywhere when i got in 😕 but probably just energy gels and drinks disagreeing with the coffee i think.

Sload
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:07 - 02 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Holiday, not done the morning weight in but estimate came back 8 pounds heavier.

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:22 - 02 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

waffles wrote:
I joined up to parkrun today, with the aim to do my first one in a couple of weeks when I can run a bit further.

I'm still doing C25K but had a couple of weeks away from it so restarted from scratch. I am just about to finish week 2 so would be fine to do it if I walked and ran it, I would prefer to run more than walk though! I am currently doing a little over 3k in the half hour session which is definitely progress for me Laughing

have a look at this

https://www.jeffgalloway.com/training/run-walk/

Sload
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 05:31 - 03 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

thx1138 wrote:
Did the half marathon. 2hrs dead by my watch, not sure of my chip time yet. Struggled a little bit towards the end, but a new pb by about 15mins anyway.

Threw up everywhere when i got in 😕 but probably just energy gels and drinks disagreeing with the coffee i think.

How hard are you pushing to need gels in 2 hours? Have you tried doing it without?

waffles
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:27 - 03 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

thx1138 wrote:

Thanks, thats really interesting!

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:16 - 03 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sload wrote:
thx1138 wrote:

How hard are you pushing to need gels in 2 hours? Have you tried doing it without?

I had two gels, and a handful of jellybabies, the drinks were after i finished.

I pushed quite hard for me, but at mile 9 pain in my legs and hips started, and not in a "runners wall" type of way, they really give me gyp on a longer run. I could do it with just a 500ml bottle of water in my hand, but i look forward to a 20second walk at the water station and a quick energy fix, breaks it up a bit.

Last edited by thx1138 on 11:21 - 03 Sep 2018; edited 2 times in total

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:17 - 03 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attachments are my 1mile splits taken from my phone -

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:49 - 05 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

bit sore running on Tuesday, got fatigued and needed a pause 2 miles into a 3 and a half mile run.

Cycled 50 miles today, with a short break halfway. Took a wrong turn and ended up on a bypass Embarassed went fast as though Laughing

And... I just entered Millbrook Mad 5k Challenge. Millbrook is a vehicle test track.

Quote:
The MAD 5K is a run which takes place at Millbrook’s proving ground in the UK – across the Hill Route and the Off-Road course. Normally, this is where the toughest vehicles are tested!

The route includes our 7%, 14% and, finally, 21% incline. After that, the participants have to tackle two steep sand dunes and run through a wading pond towards the finish.

What could possibly go wrong. Shifty

stephen_o
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 21:15 - 05 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been battling yet another water infection but now on the mend, last week I went jogging and did 2 and a bit miles in 25 mins, the aim is to intersperse it with cycling to get my fitness levels up. I have had real problems with sugar intolerance causing the water infections so I have doubled down on my diet and once the antibiotics have finished in a couple of days (they have sorbitol in them which constipates me) then its all go I hope. I have lost 4 kg anyway in a month by cutting out crap that makes me bad and getting back on it "helped" by 2 days of the trots after having a bacon and fries meal at a family wedding.

I think what I will do is following a bit of pain last week when running I will restart the c25k app, it is 3 months since I suspended it and I am far fitter than I was at the very begining so I hope I can pick the pace up as this is what I need to do.

Tonight I've done 5 miles on the mtb going around a former pit site.

stephen_o
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 19:34 - 06 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's peoples thoughts about rest days? I can't decide between alternating c25k with cycling 6 days a week with 1 total rest day or day 1 run/ride, day 2 rest, day 3 what I didn't do on day 1, day 4 rest etc.

Sload
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:37 - 06 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Antibiotics are killer to your system so just take it easyish.

Nice thx keep it up Thumbs Up

Back from a holiday of beer and food then had my first cold/bubonic plague for a couple of years this week.

Just did my first spin out for near a fortnight, cleared the chest out between coughing and spasms Sick

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:36 - 06 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

stephen_o wrote:
What's peoples thoughts about rest days? I can't decide between alternating c25k with cycling 6 days a week with 1 total rest day or day 1 run/ride, day 2 rest, day 3 what I didn't do on day 1, day 4 rest etc.

Mix it up a bit, but one or two rest days each week is norm for me.

To day i ran about 9miles, including warm up and warm down, and interval training in between, like c25k walk-run, but jog-sprint.

Cycled about 5 miles too, but that was just transport.

This Saturday, going to try for the first time to cycle to park run, and then do a 50miler straight after.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 223 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 27, 28, 29  Next
Page 13 of 29