Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

2018 Health and Fitness Thread

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 27, 28, 29  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

waffles
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:16 - 09 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I finished C25K week three and need to step up a little bit, rather than doing my running and cycling on the same night (and feeling shattered during my cycling) I think I will just focus on one thing per night and go to the gym more often.

I found the interval training program on the bikes was quite good and I could get my heartrate up and down without feeling too out of breath.

And I entered a charity 8km walk that's taking place in a couple of weeks, starts at 7pm and should take a couple of hours max. And I will get a medal if/when I finish! That's my only real goal for being more active Laughing

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:36 - 09 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

cool, run then cycle is hard work, but it's worth doing from time to time.

yesterday I ran 3 miles, cycled just under 25 to the cafe, and 25 back, just ran out of oomph 2/3rds of the way back

This afternoon I signed up for another half-martahon, this one is not flat and easy, it's on roads that aren't all closed, with hills. In December.

also signed up for a cycling sportive early Oct. Wanted to do the 100 miles, but signed up just for the 100km as I will have to cycle to the start point and home when I'm done, which will be a round trip of about 30miles intself
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:33 - 20 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im a little overweight, well actually I'm not I'm a perfectly healthy weight and bmi etc, but slightly heavier than I'd like to be. I find it so hard to train and do enduro, and then eat with moderation. 50,60,70+ mile cycle rides leave me ravenous.

On Tuesday evening, I did the Mad 5k trail run. Haven't got any decent pics, yet, but this video from 5 years ago on youtube, is the same course.

It was tough. I did it in a sub 30minutes, and didn't walk once. Could've shaved a couple minutes off, by being up front. Struggled with the downhills on gravel. 2 days later, and I'm really sore.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2A151q2MLpk
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:05 - 20 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

thx1138 wrote:
Im a little overweight, well actually I'm not I'm a perfectly healthy weight and bmi etc, but slightly heavier than I'd like to be. I find it so hard to train and do enduro, and then eat with moderation. 50,60,70+ mile cycle rides leave me ravenous.

On Tuesday evening, I did the Mad 5k trail run. Haven't got any decent pics, yet, but this video from 5 years ago on youtube, is the same course.

It was tough. I did it in a sub 30minutes, and didn't walk once. Could've shaved a couple minutes off, by being up front. Struggled with the downhills on gravel. 2 days later, and I'm really sore.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2A151q2MLpk

You make me ashamed to post anything in here Embarassed

So I'll just say my own (pathetic) efforts are going well, and I'm still pleased with the results thus far. Lost a lot of flab, more to lose before I'll be happy.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:23 - 20 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pepperami the old man missed his training on Tuesday and is hating it.
I’m going to miss training on Friday as well Evil or Very Mad

I fugging hate bloody work Evil or Very Mad

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:06 - 23 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:

You make me ashamed to post anything in here Embarassed

Don't be. Just do it. Putting effort in is intself enough to be impressive. It's all just a question of scale.

Anyway, yesterday I ran 11 miles. Got up early with sore legs, cos I'd promised the wife I'd pace make her at Park Run, she then cried off. So I did a 50 mile cycle ride, and then when I got in, she wanted me to go running with her - but it was raining and had been for most of my cycle ride - and I'd already dried off and got warm.

Been neglecting all my core. So did a reset on my fitness apps, and started over.

A while back I could cycle, or I could run, I couldn't do both within a day or two. Now I'm managing both, so I'm not overly worried about core, just need to keep working at it.

Weight bench i just got is quite useful as I can do a bunch more excercises, and kneel on it and lower myself down from my pull up bars - cos I can only do a few.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:30 - 23 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

thx1138 wrote:
Just do it. Putting effort in is intself enough to be impressive. It's all just a question of scale.

I'm fighting a couple of problems to do it. My back will only allow me about an hour, maybe a bit more, of working out, although in some ways, doing it has helped a bit.

I also have days when I just feel 'crushed' - hard to describe, but limbs feel heavy and tired, heart gets to pounding with the slightest effort. This can hit seemingly at any time - I never know how I'll feel from day to day, so it's hard to keep to any kind of regimen.

The two things together make it most problematic. Cardio work in particular is something I want to get to doing more of, but I'm limited. Then there's the dodgy shoulder, which limits what weight training I can do.
Despite this, the improvements overall are encouraging.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017

waffles
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:56 - 23 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Friday night I did the Twilight Walk, an 8km route through town and back. I did it in 1 hour 20 (I didn’t realise that when you pause Stava the timer keeps going so my logged time is 1 hour 30) and turned down the offer of free chips and ice cream on the way back.

I was going to do Park Run for the first time yesterday morning but I overslept. I feel like I have hit a wall with running. I still feel sore the morning after and it takes me a while to get my breath back on the walking sections, but as soon as I stop I feel great. I get stitches too regardless of how much water I drink before hand.

Im up to week 5 of C25K and its taking big leaps that I don’t feel confident about yet. The last run was a 5 minute warm up walk, 5 minute run, 3 minute walk, 5 running, 3 walk, 5 run then a 5 minute cool down walk and I just about got through it once I slowed right down at the end. I think I am going to repeat it a few more times until I can do it without getting a stitch or feeling light headed halfway through.

On the plus side although I don’t feel like I have lost any weight doing this I have noticed a few changes and some muscle where there wasn’t much before. My legs look a bit better and upper arms too. Maybe a bit less fat around my hips and waist. Also I can get through the interval training program on the bike at the gym without too much hassle now!

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:16 - 23 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

waffles wrote:
I have noticed a few changes and some muscle where there wasn’t much before. My legs look a bit better and upper arms too. Maybe a bit less fat around my hips and waist.

This is about where I'm at so far.
I've just been able to increase the weight on certain weight training exercises, and I keep seeing slight improvements in the amount of other exercises I'm doing. Still not running outdoors yet though!

waffles
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:24 - 23 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
Still not running outdoors yet though!

Me either! But where I live there are a lot of trails through country parks so I will be hitting them up soon. I still feel self conscious about myself but need to suck it up and just get out.

Think of the long term benefits!

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:30 - 23 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Self-conscious - tick! Laughing
I have had a knee problem, and still have a slight lack of flexibility in my right ankle, so I've wanted to be sure I won't just get 20 yards up the road and have to stop! When I can do 30mins jogging on the spot with a bit of a 'push' at the end, I'll get outside with it. 20mins thus far, but usually suffer from quite sore calf muscles for a day or so after. This is now easing. I can't help but think that running on the spot probably isn't using exactly the same muscle sets as proper running though, but at least it's improving my endurance - it's probably more like skipping rope.

kramdra
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:37 - 23 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Suffering days later is not something that stops

https://i.postimg.cc/bYMLsgdp/IMG_20180923_164117.jpg

Mri scan did not show why I get bad lower leg pain at start of road runs, then fatigue and cramp shortly after. Pain disapears at 10km, which is unusual, suspect endorphins hide it. Did a 16km technical trail Friday which was ok. 600m of climb, and dangerously low confidence downhill - its best to lean forward, efficent stride but I took small steps, with a lot of braking force - bad for knees. I need to focus on high cadence, aerobic running, without the anaerobic sprints at every opportunity, hill, downhill, corner or strava segment, but the change is really messing with my downhill form.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:35 - 24 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dammit, feeling lazy again today.
Is there a foolproof method to get in the right frame of mind, stoke the enthusiasm for physical exercise each day?

waffles
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:27 - 24 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I listen to music or audiobooks. Ive got some Ministry of Sound (includes Breathe for when I can’t!) and other tunes with louder beats that I use to keep me going. As for motivation to get out there to exercise I have built it into my daily routine so I have a set time to do it.

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:02 - 24 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
Is there a foolproof method to get in the right frame of mind, stoke the enthusiasm for physical exercise each day?

Not that I know of. It's what I struggle with. That voice in my head telling me not to put my trainers on, that nagging doubt at 5k telling me I don't need to to 10k.

Mister endorphin and Mister endocannabinoids can kick naggy voice in the balls, but they are never around when I need them.

I guess, what I do, sometimes, is just "play". Last night, I just messed around with my weights and gym equipment whilst watching a movie. Wasn't a proper work out, but was better than just sitting on the sofa.

Sometimes I will just jog, no stop watch, no plan, no route. Just put a fiver in my pocket in case I need it, and wander off. Sometimes it just is round the block, other times, I will end up a few miles a way buying a coffee before jogging back.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:33 - 24 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Managed to get going Very Happy

Did some light stretching, no particular plans for anything else, and then actually felt like doing the 20min jog thing Thumbs Up

I had a slide show of mountain photography in front of me, and music on. Actually had a couple of sublime moments when the music totally fell in with my running rhythm. ELP's "Hoedown" FTW!
Got a good sweat on, heart rate up a bit, pulling in the breath a little by the end, yet didn't keel over from a heart attack, so must have done me some good - better than nothing anyway.

Will do some weights in a bit.

Edit: Turned out to be not a bad day, considering how shite I felt earlier. Not my best, but pleased enough Smile

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:18 - 24 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:

I don’t know about foolproof?....... but fast music can make people more responsive to being active....... it does for me.

Bubbs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:51 - 25 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

pepperami wrote:
chickenstrip wrote:

I don’t know about foolproof?....... but fast music can make people more responsive to being active....... it does for me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q-8hOKNbtxg

you're welcome

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:14 - 25 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

nipped out on the road bicycle yesterday, quick 15 mile ride, and got my first ever KOM on strava - i.e I'm currently (and I am sure, very temporarily) the fastest cyclist ever on Strava over a section of road. Helped that it had just been resurfaced.

Went out tonight with my running club, and for the first time in about a year, was back in group 4 - which has a faster pace than most the other groups 9 to 10 minute miles, rather than 10-11 or 11-12 that I had been running with - as I tend to run there and back also I often run twice as far as much of the rest of the group.

So, tonight i ran just under 12miles at 9min mile pace. 6 miles (or 10k) with the club.

Maybe in a few months, I can step upto group five and run at 8min miles, not sure though.

Days trail riding in the morning, and I'm sat here all tired, trying to will myself off of the sofa to sort my kit out.

kramdra
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:40 - 25 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mondays run, I got a strava 10km pb with the fast group, 45 mins, couldnt keep up at the end. Then 6km run home, technical trails, in the dark. Trails are still mostly dry, its not time for trail shoes yet. One muddy puddle had me fall on my arse. 18km total. No leg pain, had a lot of pressure in my right foot at the start and keep getting instant pins and needles when I stop for crossings.

Sload
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:04 - 26 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:

Hit me again at the minute due to hours in work, hol and time away plus the weather.

To get moving I tend to bully and shame myself and during I view it as a challenge to embrace the discomfort, the point is to make myself as uncomfortable as I can deal and move a bit further yet not through injury. Once I get a few sessions in again I seem to develop a need to torture myself a bit which I think is more the exercise chills me out and I miss that aspect.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:58 - 26 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sload wrote:
chickenstrip wrote:

Hit me again at the minute due to hours in work, hol and time away plus the weather.

Yes, the weather definitely affects me, mentioned this in "grinds my gears".
For me, being one of the army of feckless unemployed scroungers, sheer boredom is partly how I came to start this fitness drive in the first place, and often ends up being the reason I get on with exercise. But sometimes, even that isn't enough. I clearly have psychological problems!

In my mind, I want to get fit enough so that I will have the energy to be back in work, and still want to keep fit after, but part of me says, "you're just using that as an excuse not to get out and find work."

Don't challenge me on this - I'll argue until I'm blue in the face Laughing

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:33 - 26 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sload wrote:
the point is to make myself as uncomfortable as I can deal and move a bit further yet not through injury.

I'm having difficulty judging the threshold for this. I don't remember it being this difficult to figure out when I was younger!

Diggs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:25 - 26 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

After replacing roll-ups with vape in January and building up my walks, I am finally ready to enter a gym. Two sessions done so far and I ache like a nun buying cucumber.

Oddly the thing that hurts the most is crunches. When I was a nipper I could do sit-ups all day, but doing 10-8-6-4 crunches is really painful.

Question for the gym regulars - how often should I be looking to go? I have been told 3 times a week is about right for an old bloke...

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:46 - 26 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I get the feeling that the answer for this is going to be that we should get an assessment from a qualified fitness instructor...
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 204 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 27, 28, 29  Next
Page 14 of 29