Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

2018 Health and Fitness Thread

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16 ... 27, 28, 29  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Sload
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:59 - 26 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

As often as your body allows it honestly. Depends on your goals and what you are doing tbh. If you are going spartan training then you will be smashing it and will need lots of recovery, if it is more you want to shape up and get a little fitter, less intensity, more volume.

The thing is, the more you do it, the more your body will let you know to a degree, especially with injuries, you might feel a twinge and be like hmm that's ok, and other times nope that's a stopper. It's the heroes that ignore the warnings that tear things apart, usually*.

*And yet allow for just sheer bad luck Mr. Green

This is suggested also by someone far more qualified then myself https://www.amazon.co.uk/Becoming-Supple-Leopard-Preventing-Performance/dp/1936608588/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1537974013&sr=1-2&keywords=supple+leopard

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:07 - 26 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trouble is, that DOMS injury I had a little while back has made me wary. I was out of commission for a few days after that, and then found it hard to get going again once it had healed. That's the bad luck you're referring to I guess, I had no idea I was overdoing it at the time.

I've got to a point now where I just don't like to have more than two rest days at a time, and preferably just one, which is what I'm doing today (after 3 consecutive days of exercise), aside from a little light stretching. I'm just trying to accept that gains come more slowly when you're older, and not to push myself too hard, as long as I can see the benefits - maybe I'll be able to up the pace in the future.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Sload
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:01 - 26 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is tougher as you get older, everything takes longer to heal and recover as well.

if you can stick to it enough that you start to get gains you might appreciate the changes both mental and physical. I sorta went hardcore cycling cardio over the summer as I had let it slip too hard. It was a sufferfest at first which left me feeling a sweaty broken mess but I just ensured I was trying to get in at least 200 miles minimum a month at the start.
Towards the end before my layup I had advanced to the point where I was well above the national average speed, aches and twitches were relieving, knee pain was faded as I assume connective tissue and muscles were strengthening and overall health including mental faculty had improved.
A silly anecdotal test was at work, we have this multi-level mezzanine floor section. Prior to hitting it, I would be huffing by the top and feeling 50, now I can leg it up full speed and I'm barely panting. I also dropped my resting heart rate to just above 60, it used to be low 80s.

I will be hitting it again as I miss the calming effect I get and I also do not want to regress to that level again. I chose cycling due to damage in my foot which leaves me in agony from running plus I damaged my hip doing hill sprints like a complete muppet. No pain at all on the bike, apart from butt and back but fit and adaptation take care of that.

I think after that, i'll get that book and or possibly Yoga, then add in some resistance work again, calisthenics / kettlebells once the base is strengthed again.

If you have time and you want a differing methodology give this a spin. It also delves in philosophy but that may twist your head off a bit if you are completely new. The exercise stuff is worth thinking about https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xDsoWp743gM

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:58 - 26 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sload wrote:

If you have time and you want a differing methodology give this a spin. It also delves in philosophy but that may twist your head off a bit if you are completely new. The exercise stuff is worth thinking about https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xDsoWp743gM

I'm 15mins into that - fascinating. I'll watch the rest later. Hey, according to them, I'm not doing things too badly: fish oil, check! Laughing

MMA fighters eh? I had this thing that they were all up themselves, but I suppose as long as you don't get them talking about TMA, they can have something worth hearing Laughing

Edit: Hmm, having watched some more, I'm not so sure. Feels like they're playing with supposition a lot.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Sload
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:51 - 26 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fighters are their own thing, he is considered a very good coach. I would say the approach to training for fighting is possibly one of the better choices for being well rounded so if you back off the intensity and adapt the useful stuff with mind to longevity and health, well you could do much worse.

He is a proponent of volume over intensity which I mentioned earlier. Still though it is dependent upon your goals, mine are improved health, quality of life and to keep the wheels turning for as long as possible so whilst in the future I may use powerlifting technique if needed, Ill never train as a powerlifter as that isn't my goal.

Hope you enjoy the rest of it.

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:57 - 26 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

so last night ran 12 miles, today I led a trail ride

quite happy with my fitness overall, though a bit annoyed I feel too tired to do core exercises and weights tonight Confused

"pyramind " training on hills tomorrow night with my running club, might do it if I can fit it in

kramdra
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:21 - 27 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

18km last night. The first 10km was a similar pace to Mondays pb but felt easier. The last 8 were a new trail route home, was a bit more careful (and less drunk) with the road shoes. Friday is a bleep test, should be fun.

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:14 - 29 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Copy paste from cycling forum.

Today I did do...

Damn that was hard work. Eskdale to Ambleside and back.
Wrynose on the way back was just relentless and into the wind. I cycled much of it overall but got off and pushed a few times cos I was either knackered and or had to stop for a car (or cattle) and couldn't get going again. Keeping the front wheel down and thinking I was going over backwards was one of the problems, kept popping little wheelies when I got going.

And I had a stupid rucksack to keep my d lock and cable loop in.
The descents were fun in a scary rollercoaster I don't want to die kinda way. About 5,000 ft of climbing in 36 miles.

But, my friends own a cafe in Ambleside and I got a free lunch and met old friends I haven't seen for years.

https://i.postimg.cc/mrJcnZz2/WP_20180929_14_47_53_Pro.jpg
https://i.postimg.cc/j5fWYVP6/WP_20180929_14_26_36_Pro.jpg

https://i.postimg.cc/pdphk5d6/WP_20180929_10_54_31_Pro.jpg

Sload
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:16 - 29 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

thx1138 wrote:
Today I did do...

Not seen your upload yet.
chickenstrip wrote:
Edit: Hmm, having watched some more, I'm not so sure. Feels like they're playing with supposition a lot.

Did you finish the video? The philo section might add some idea of my thinking if you can get your head around it.

I suppose the best way I can explain is most of it (it being nutrition and health) is "supposition", like literally. This particular vid I shared is a guy whose reputation stands on his own achievements (you should google if you are curious) is giving his idea over for free which suits my aims (longevity and functionality as I detailed) in an interpersonal manner. If you want pure science, well good luck on that one as that is just not going to happen.

Basically, I offer you a methodology as explained by someone proving it, you DYOR.

If you are looking for some magic bullet, it doesn't exist, everything has contention to somebody else. If you make health gains from applying some of it, I would consider you a winner.

Irezumi aka Reuben
Carrot Top

PostPosted: 08:56 - 30 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

thx1138 wrote:
Keeping the front wheel down and thinking I was going over backwards was one of the problems, kept popping little wheelies when I got going.

Great effort, not done this but on the list and heard it's good. Trick to the wheelies is to keep that pedal stroke nice and smooth. I realise this is easier said than done when your'e up a hill knackered!

I'd consider changing gearing if you are going to do hill's like that a lot. Maybe look at a different cassette, is it 10 or 11 speed?

Thanks, Robin.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:21 - 30 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sload wrote:

Did you finish the video? The philo section might add some idea of my thinking if you can get your head around it.

Can you give me a pointer to where to start for this? It's a long video, and some of it isn't too relevant for me at this point. Remember that I'm in the early stages of this, and can only do so much myself.

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:24 - 30 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah gearing is wrong.

This morning I did a 6mile trail / fell run. Got two strava top tens too.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:32 - 30 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aches from yesterday dictate a rest day today.

Boring! Sleeping

Sload
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:38 - 30 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
Can you give me a pointer to where to start for this?

Clipped fitness bit https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cj4hdIGbDHs
Philo section https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gJHj4BtP9Go&t=10s

There is more obs but that should explain things. Would you like some training literature?

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:10 - 30 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sload wrote:

Ok, this is good, this makes sense. This is also quite important to me with my injuries etc that I'm carrying because I can easily overdo things, more so than most.
I try not to push to the last iota of effort when I'm training. This I deduced Wink intuitively Wink (you see what I did there? with the second video section? Laughing). But it's explained well here. Like today, I needed a rest day, because I did too much yesterday. Not to the point of injury, but to where if I trained today, I probably would injure myself because of the accumulative effects. So I should have done a bit less yesterday, even though I was quite capable of doing what I did without injuring myself. Then I could have trained today.
So the "Flow Channel" thing, Thumbs Up Now it's just a case of me finding within what bounds that channel lies for myself.

Quote:

This, otoh... Laughing
Wait, sorry, where are you going with this?! I was kind of primed for a 'philosophy of fitness training' sorta deal, and you blew my mind? Shocked Laughing

Quote:
There is more obs but that should explain things. Would you like some training literature?

I wouldn't dare to say yes after what you just did to my head Laughing

waffles
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:32 - 30 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have repeated my C25K week 5 run 1 about four times now and slowed down so that I can finish the run without feeling exhausted. So I am going to go on to run 2 (8 minute run, five minute walk, 8 minute run) and see how I do.

I have also signed up to do an 8 mile charity evening walk for a local hospice so its time to brush off my flashing bunny ears Thumbs Up

Sload
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:36 - 30 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I warned you, the Philo bit is a bolt on in case you were interested. Also are you sure it was deductive and not inductive? Wink
The literature is normie shit, it is just stuff I have that I can share. It carries the usual BS of sales pitch but there is stuff in there you can use.

Convict conditioning (download) (Paul Wade) https://drive.google.com/open?id=1xyAoZDMxuihH_vc9twXvYGR3U-aScycJ

The naked warrior (download) (Pavel Tsatsouline) https://drive.google.com/open?id=1_sUMpzcozbxGEvGTPND9Wq4d645qdZrG

Never gymless (download) (Ross Enamait) https://drive.google.com/open?id=18wGvJwkrFIe8K_lDMSE6MWcNeJJP6Qnv

Enter the kettle-bell (download) (Pavel Tsatsouline) https://drive.google.com/open?id=1g4EvPWjYrSL1f5gyRPAK636P2b7IbTW1

The first one I got reviews as being a bit suspect, the last three are useful. If you want to just jump into something, try starting with "The naked warrior" by Pavel, just understand the writing style is meant to sell it to the masses.

waffles
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:08 - 02 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

For giggles I had a go at week 5 run 2 (warm up, 8min run, 5min walk, 8min run, cool down) and I made it through without breaking pace at all.

I feel proud of myself! I couldn’t have done that a few weeks ago!

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:26 - 03 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

25 mile ride yesterday, got from phone box to hardknott fort in one hit then a 12 mile hike

10 mile cycle sprint today, bike started slipping gears on birker fell, won't change gear, needs looking at

Limped back, then did 5 mile trail run

Going hill walking / scrambling tomorrow

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:25 - 05 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

back from Cumbria, zero exercise today, yesterday I did a 6mile trail run with about 700ft climb in it.

Roadie bicycle has gear problems, and in the morning I've entered a 60mile cycle sportive, 75 miles including getting home (blagged a lift there) so will be doing it on my heavy steel hybrid, so any hopes of a good time out the window. Will be interesting to see what my heart rate / relative effort is on strava though.

really, really need to do core exercises, but well it was a holiday, need to get back on it though

waffles
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:54 - 06 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did Parkrun!!!!!!

40:54 was my official time and I cocked up my Strava recording of it but I don’t care. Now I have a measurable time to improve with.

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:44 - 06 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

waffles wrote:
I did Parkrun!!!!!!

40:54 was my official time and I cocked up my Strava recording of it but I don’t care. Now I have a measurable time to improve with.

well done Thumbs Up set yourself a goal to work towards

start with a sub 40, and then maybe over the coming months look to run with a 35minute pace maker if they have one

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:46 - 06 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

thx1138 wrote:
back from Cumbria, zero exercise today, yesterday I did a 6mile trail run with about 700ft climb in it.

Roadie bicycle has gear problems, and in the morning I've entered a 60mile cycle sportive, 75 miles including getting home (blagged a lift there) so will be doing it on my heavy steel hybrid, so any hopes of a good time out the window. Will be interesting to see what my heart rate / relative effort is on strava though.

really, really need to do core exercises, but well it was a holiday, need to get back on it though

d'oh got the day wrong, dragged myself out of bed at stupid o clock for no reason Rolling Eyes Did an 8 mile run, including pacing my wife for a 32minute park run, and the good news is bike shop fixed my bike up under warranty and it's good for the sportive in the morning.

100k/60mile sportive, plus a trip of about 15 miles each way too in the morning, on my "good" bike

Sload
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:41 - 06 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

thx1138 wrote:
Did an 8 mile run, including pacing my wife for a 32minute park run, and the good news is bike shop fixed my bike up under warranty and it's good for the sportive in the morning.

100k/60mile sportive, plus a trip of about 15 miles each way too in the morning, on my "good" bike

Great stuff, especially getting the wife moving as well. Trying on my end but I feel like sometimes you carry their motivational burden on top of your own at times.

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:55 - 07 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, todays cycle ride. I am little disappointed with my time, , as I took a wrong turn, not got an official time yet, fingers crossed for a sub 4hr- it was entirely my own fault, unlike some people who fell victim to sign tampering/vandalism, but I went a few miles out of my way cos I missed a sign on a junction that was clearly marked, plus some dithering about whilst I looked at a map and doubled back.

Anyway, my average moving speed over the whole morning was 16mph, which isn't bad considering as my 15mile journey home was very slow, and plodding.

Got a string of PB's - so, probably set off too fast.

95.2miles
5hrs 56mins
3,100ft elevation
5,000 Kcal
Heart Rate 120 avg, 161 max
Speed 16mph avg, 32.1mph max (I coasted all downhills, that's why it's so slow)

right, face stuffing time Thumbs Up Laughing
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 195 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16 ... 27, 28, 29  Next
Page 15 of 29