Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

2018 Health and Fitness Thread

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 18, 19, 20 ... 27, 28, 29  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

recman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:45 - 01 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

The dog walk has taken up the time I would usually get out on the road on the bike so I just bought a turbo trainer to use later on in the day when the roads around my way are really busy.
The funny thing is, I bought the trainer off shpock from the very same bloke I bought a lawn rake earlier in the year.
Shpooky.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Jewlio Rides Again LLB
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:15 - 01 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just an FYI, I use the Fit Notes app on Android to monitor my progress, it's not a bad little app for a free one, you can do a fair bit with it.

recman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:26 - 01 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jewlio Rides Again LLB wrote:
Just an FYI, I use the Fit Notes app on Android to monitor my progress, it's not a bad little app for a free one, you can do a fair bit with it.

Just had a quick butcher's. It seems to be orientated towards gym work, how would it work with me in my shed, peddling like a loon?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:05 - 01 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

day off tomorrow, work out reset and reboot.

been busy getting into the swing of earning money with Deliveroo on my bicycles. Keeping me fit, up to a point.

Got a few Strava top tens, mostly on dirt tracks when I took my old heavy trail bike with knobbly tyres out in bad weather and took shortcuts through bridleways etc

tonight I overtook another roo in her car, I was doing just a fraction over 30mph to do it while I had the bus lane to myself Very Happy

anyway, as I was trying to earn money, rest of my work out gone out the window - so will have a go at my gym equipment Sunday and see how I'm doing, and try to lift weights etc regularly again

I've pretty much given up with running now, I'll enter 5ks and 10ks here and there, but have scrubbed tomorrows half marathon, and just do Park Run now and again. My heart just insn't in half marathon, clocked up 40 miles on the bike tonight, and I'm cold, wet and tired. Not complaining, but don't want to run in the rain first thing.

Jewlio Rides Again LLB
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:10 - 01 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

recman wrote:
Jewlio Rides Again LLB wrote:

Just had a quick butcher's. It seems to be orientated towards gym work, how would it work with me in my shed, peddling like a loon?

There is a cardio option on there, though I log cardio in MFP instead.

recman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:54 - 02 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I set up the bike on the trainer earlier and had a quick go.
So much better than a dedicated exercise bike.
One thing I've learned in the nick of time it seems, is that these turbo trainers destroy normal road tyres.
So what tyres are you lot using on these contraptions?

Sload
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:37 - 19 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

recman wrote:
I set up the bike on the trainer earlier and had a quick go.
So much better than a dedicated exercise bike.
One thing I've learned in the nick of time it seems, is that these turbo trainers destroy normal road tyres.
So what tyres are you lot using on these contraptions?

Ooof I have a direct drive. You need a dedicated training tyre. Usually grab them in a sale if you are lucky.
https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/s?q=trainer+tyre&cat=direct

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:10 - 19 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’m looking forward to Friday evening’s training session.
We’ve all been very formal and trained hard for the last 6 months.

Our instructor said that on Friday, we are going to have a bit of a blow out and give each other a good Christmas battering.
Should be fun Laughing Thumbs Up

EDIT:
Well hardly anyone turned up Crying or Very sad (wankers)
Those of us that did attend , worked out and honed our combinations.
We did have a bit of a laugh barging into each other as an exercise in using your body weight as a way of flooring your opponent Smile .

Last edited by pepperami on 00:42 - 22 Dec 2018; edited 2 times in total

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:16 - 20 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I keep getting Strava PBs and the odd top ten, on a hybrid bike with a big courier bag full of junk food, panniers, and a heavy lock and chain.

Be interesting to see how I get on with just plain cycling when I break my roadie out of hibernation next spring.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:43 - 11 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

2nd 6mile (approx) walk/jog today. 1hr 54min door to door, so now have a time to work with. This included a 4min rest at the furthest point, and an unexpected detour - part of the path was under water! Made a valiant attempt to get through, torn by brambles and threatened with sliding on mud into the water, had to admit defeat and turn back. Found a path at the edge of a field that runs parallel Rolling Eyes There's a little wooden footbridge across a beck on the route which is also closed - last time I used it, there were audible cracking noises underfoot, and parts of the walkway have fallen into the water below. The detour skirts another muddy field edge to a ford with muddy slippery banks you have to jump between. Adventure on my doorstep! Laughing
All very muddy, did it in hiking boots (lightweight). I have some unused fell running shoes for when it gets warmer and drier, bought for summer fell walking a while back.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!

Last edited by chickenstrip on 20:33 - 11 Feb 2019; edited 1 time in total

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:23 - 11 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Started doing ten exercises a night, ie ten sit ups or ten pushups.
Also some stretching exercises.
I also never use the lift in any tall building I visit at work.
This is not a lot I know.
However that combined with my twice weekly training sessions must help a bit.

Still haven’t got that third training session going yet Rolling Eyes , I must be more disciplined .

Work is getting in the way at the moment Evil or Very Mad

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:41 - 12 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

pepperami wrote:
Started doing ten exercises a night, ie ten sit ups or ten pushups.
Also some stretching exercises.
I also never use the lift in any tall building I visit at work.
This is not a lot I know.

actually it's a great way to do it, just incorporate that mindset into your whole day and week, and it all adds up

Lately I have just been stuffing my face. I did cycle 160 miles last week doing Deliveroo, but had today off.

Going to start running again now I'm into the swing of it. Might start tomorrow night.

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:48 - 12 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shocked jeez! We had a right old heavy session tonight.
My heart and lungs were protesting and the feet/balance were starting to give in Shocked Smile
I’ll bet some of you fit blokes on here would of thought it was a warm up, but to an old git like me it was a killer!

Again lack of core strength and my engine stopped me from going further.

It’s so hard for an oldie stiff fat bloke like me.
Four sparring bouts went well with one opponent retiring and one getting a bloody nose Laughing Embarassed

Cardio is going to have to be my priority if and when I can find room for a third session a week.
I don’t want to fall into the trap of becoming obsessed with this.

I might think about a pushbike,maybe, possibly??

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:30 - 13 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

the other day I climbed the outside of the "MUGA" multi use games area as some kids had somehow got their football stuck between the top of the railings and the netting

https://www.bedfordsalvationarmy.org.uk/overview.html

(basketball type court bottom picture)

I put my seal skinz gloves on, and with just a finger hold managed to pull myself right up and over, got a round of applause

A moments work, and a few days of feeling sore. Embarassed

Ran six miles last night. First run of the year, need to start "proper training" and will enter half marathons and 10ks later in the year tonight

hope to get some proper cycle shoes and pedals next week, aiming to cycling Bedford to Malvern Hills in April.

kramdra
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:09 - 13 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Making epic progress with climbing. Need to work on my leg flexibility. I run to the wall and Ive noticed a big difference for running aswell - getting faster even with an extra 5kg bag, much less leg pain and no doms.

https://youtu.be/nSjjpL1gI1Y

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:23 - 14 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

after a 10k run, on Tuesday first of the year

today I ran straight after a deliveroo stint, easy lunch shift nice weather, 15 miles bike ride, then a 3mile run

tightness in my hamstring/hip

seems that two things make it worse, speed or distance, so I should be able to manage it by carefully increasing my runs.

waffles
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:52 - 14 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been going to a running club for the last six weeks; tonight we did a 5 minute walk, 10 minute run, 3 minute walk, 14 minute run for a total of 4.3km.

I'm happy with that, I got a PR for my 1km and 1 mile distances on Strava Thumbs Up

kramdra
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:39 - 15 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

More progress last night, it is getting addictive. Got three routes mastered that I have been struggling with for the last two months, and two were while leading which is more difficult, and Im new to that also. One route, only two days ago, I lost the confidence to even start it.

waffles
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:28 - 16 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Parkrun today was a whole minute and a half faster than last week, according to Strava! Im still waiting for my official time though. They normally send out the email at around 10.30 Confused

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:57 - 16 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

waffles wrote:
Parkrun today was a whole minute and a half faster than last week, according to Strava! Im still waiting for my official time though. They normally send out the email at around 10.30 Confused

yeah, time taken to release the results can vary a lot, it's all volunteers, with often a different team on the front line, and then they sometimes have to manually upload stuff if the computers are dicking about

My park run today was 24:03 less than one minute off my pb. First park run of the year, and only my 3rd run of the year.

My heart and lungs have it, it's just my legs that feel it. I probably could've got a pb or near it, but didn't want an injury, didn't fancy pushing through the crowd at the start, and I've got to Deliveroo tonight on my bicycle.

I enjoyed it, but I'm very tired and aching a bit now.

waffles
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:39 - 16 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

thx1138 wrote:
waffles wrote:

yeah, time taken to release the results can vary a lot, it's all volunteers, with often a different team on the front line, and then they sometimes have to manually upload stuff if the computers are dicking about

Yeah, I have volunteered before. Turns out the results were released this morning but my time wasn’t registered. I know which token number I had and it shows up as unknown so I am going to message them now and hope that they can add me back on. Fortunately I do have my Strava as proof!

Edit - fixed, and a PB!

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:30 - 16 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

6 mile walk/jog down to 1hr 34min today - an improvement of 6 minutes on yesterday, and this the third day in a row. There might be hope for me! Laughing
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:16 - 18 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Altered my jogging-on-the-spot thing today. Having got up to 40mins with a 'sprint' of 1 or 2 minutes to finish, then tried going out jogging, discovered it has had little cv benefit at all. So when I'm not out on the walk/jog, gonna try this: 15mins jogging on the spot, with x5 'sprints' for as long as I can (about 1min each at the moment), hard as I can. Certainly got me gasping better than the way I was doing it, and reduced me to a steaming puddle of sweat Laughing Will try to increase how much of that 15mins I'm sprinting for as time goes on, rather than extending the overall time. Hope it'll be more beneficial, cos I don't always feel like going outside.

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:12 - 20 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Taking Monday to Thursday off from Deliveroo. (though I've just signed up for Uber eats, so will do an hour or so tomorrow just to test the app)

Yesterday got out on the road bicycle for the first time since October. Did pretty well, got a few Strava PRs and covered about 25miles. Then did core work out last night.

Tonight I ran 7 miles, slow and steady for parts - as I met up with my run club and did a 5k (3miles) with them as part of it.

Overall my fitness is good, I have lots of niggly leg aches and pains when I run, but just have to balance speed and distance.

Plan up the overall working out over the coming months, so that I was back where I was in the 2016/17 + doing all the deliveroo bicycle miles too. So it's mostly just adding free weights etc into the mix again

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 02:34 - 20 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

thx1138 wrote:

I have lots of niggly leg aches and pains when I run

I hear that!
I find it makes it difficult to tell whether I'm on the verge of injury, or whether I can just carry on through it, so making it hard to decide when it's time to take rest days.

Then again, I've buggered myself up so much anyway, what does another little injury or two matter Laughing
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 39 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 18, 19, 20 ... 27, 28, 29  Next
Page 19 of 29