Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

2018 Health and Fitness Thread

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21 ... 27, 28, 29  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:46 - 20 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Christ I hate the core strength exercises! I’m shit at them and they make me hurt Crying or Very sad
I know they are necessary, but they’re still shit Sad

Had a spar with a young whippersnaper last night, and he knocked my gum shield clean out of my mouth Shocked .

For some reason after exercises and training last night, I woke up with tennis elbow?
Might have to focus on a bit of foot work on Friday evening, to give the arms a rest.

Hoolie-gan
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 15:01 - 20 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Um, can I join in here? I've been lurking about for a long time without finding the erm, courage to post but this is my kind of thread...

Although somewhat stricken in years I do love me a good workout Smile I train at least four times a week, a mixture of lifting, Crossfit style stuff and Cave.

I've a few targets that I'd like to reach this year, including hitting 100kg for my DL. Unassisted pullups are also on the list. And being able to do an overhead squat without feeling like I'm performing strange contortions and looking like I'm about to fall over backwards ... Wink

waffles
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:56 - 20 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

We did hill training at my running club last night. All of us newbies were mixed in with the advanced groups and we all partnered up and went out together which was nice!

Overall I did 9km yesterday, most of it running so I am pretty proud of that.

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:03 - 21 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hoolie-gan wrote:
Um, can I join in here? I've been lurking about for a long time without finding the erm, courage to post but this is my kind of thread...

Although somewhat stricken in years I do love me a good workout Smile I train at least four times a week, a mixture of lifting, Crossfit style stuff and Cave.

I've a few targets that I'd like to reach this year, including hitting 100kg for my DL. Unassisted pullups are also on the list. And being able to do an overhead squat without feeling like I'm performing strange contortions and looking like I'm about to fall over backwards ... Wink

yes, you can join, hello and welcome. For years, we have had an annual health and fitness thread each one titled for the corresponding year, but for some reason didn't start a 2019 one. I was a lard arse when I first ventured into one. Laughing

I can deadlift 100k, not sure I'm doing it right. I have an olympic barbell and about 140k of weight. Can do just a couple of pull ups on the handles on my squat rack, did once get up to 5 or 6, but neflected them.

Overhead squat, I think I can do them. Hold the barbell overhead, like the top of a clean and jerk and then squat? Can only do 40kilos though.

Today I cycled 50miles. Got to lead a trail ride all day tomorrow. Confused
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

recman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:32 - 21 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Talking of pull ups, there's an ex army bloke I work with who thinks nothing of doing 10 in a row. I can't do any which has peaked his interest to the point where he's made me a bit of a project.
Yesterday he had me doing an exercise designed to strengthen my upper body which didn't involve pull ups but he reckons it won't be long before I can do some.
Today however, I ache like a bastard.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Jewlio Rides Again LLB
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:32 - 21 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

recman wrote:
Talking of pull ups, there's an ex army bloke I work with who thinks nothing of doing 10 in a row. I can't do any which has peaked his interest to the point where he's made me a bit of a project.
Yesterday he had me doing an exercise designed to strengthen my upper body which didn't involve pull ups but he reckons it won't be long before I can do some.

Fitness bands work wonders.

As do negative pull ups.

Hoolie-gan
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 10:12 - 21 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

thx1138 wrote:

yes, you can join, hello and welcome. For years, we have had an annual health and fitness thread each one titled for the corresponding year, but for some reason didn't start a 2019 one. I was a lard arse when I first ventured into one. Laughing

I can deadlift 100k, not sure I'm doing it right. I have an olympic barbell and about 140k of weight. Can do just a couple of pull ups on the handles on my squat rack, did once get up to 5 or 6, but neflected them.

Overhead squat, I think I can do them. Hold the barbell overhead, like the top of a clean and jerk and then squat? Can only do 40kilos though.

Today I cycled 50miles. Got to lead a trail ride all day tomorrow. Confused

Thanks! I've got a bar and weights at home too, but do most of my workouts in the gym as I don't have a squat rack so heavy squats and suchlike aren't possible as I can't get under the bar. And, I think that if you can get 100kg off the ground you are (hopefully) probably doing it fairly OK else your lower back may be telling you otherwise.. Wink Yep, OH squat is just as you described - it's a pretty challenging move and I've only just started to do it so it's the empty bar for me at the moment.

50 miles is an impressive distance - how long did that take? I've a bike but it sits in the shed and rusts quietly. Hope that today turns out a good day for riding Smile

Last night was bench then a WOD of deads, front squats and floor press 10-1. Got it done in 11 mins 47, I was fairly pleased with that Smile

Hoolie-gan
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 10:14 - 21 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jewlio Rides Again LLB wrote:
recman wrote:

Fitness bands work wonders.

As do negative pull ups.

The bands have helped immensely, I started with a heavy one and have progressed to one of the lighter ones. Can ALMOST lift myself now, I feel my feet leaving the band just at the top of the move Smile

kramdra
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:04 - 21 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

For pullups, I gained massive improvement from scapular work. Cable machine with arms straight infront (or a plate/dumbells) raise over head, plenty videos on youttube. When the middle of your back does its job properly, the rest of your muscles do theres much more effectively, with less risk of injury.

Hoolie-gan wrote:
.. and Cave...

As in exploring caves, getting lost in dark wet holes underground? Does not sound fun to me, but interestng and different Thumbs Up

Hoolie-gan
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 21:05 - 21 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

kramdra wrote:
For pullups, I gained massive improvement from scapular work. Cable machine with arms straight infront (or a plate/dumbells) raise over head, plenty videos on youttube. When the middle of your back does its job properly, the rest of your muscles do theres much more effectively, with less risk of injury.

Hoolie-gan wrote:
.. and Cave...

As in exploring caves, getting lost in dark wet holes underground? Does not sound fun to me, but interestng and different Thumbs Up

Aargh, no - being under tons of earth does not appeal to me at all! It's a form of circuit training, a mix of weights and cardio done in short intense bursts. You get to play with sledgehammers and tyres and all sorts of fun things Smile

I'm working on my back, my lats are tight and I have a rubbish posture but it is gradually improving Thumbs Up

waffles
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:50 - 21 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hit a low point with running today. One person in our newbie group fell over and we had to end the group run early but even before that I was struggling. My legs hurt and it just wasn't working for me. Im going to take a day off tomorrow and do Parkrun again on Saturday and see how I feel then.

Sload
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:26 - 21 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

waffles wrote:
My legs hurt and it just wasn't working for me. Im going to take a day off tomorrow and do Parkrun again on Saturday and see how I feel then.

You should, your legs need to recover. Overtraining can be a big factor and slow down progression so try not to push yourself beyond.

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:42 - 22 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hoolie-gan wrote:

50 miles is an impressive distance - how long did that take? I've a bike but it sits in the shed and rusts quietly. Hope that today turns out a good day for riding Smile

3hrs 15 mins: https://www.strava.com/activities/2162704959

When I tell my none cycling friends what I do they are genuinely impressed, but put me with the cycling club I'm in and I'm very average. The club race team, I can't keep up with them on a training ride.

Trail ride was awesome, I'm pretty beat now.

Oh, I used to do floor presses, before I got my squat rack, but I couldn't do enough weight, then I did floor presses using my squat rack. Now I have a bench, It's not secure enough for proper weight, but I'd never try for much over 60kilo anyway

Hoolie-gan
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 18:24 - 22 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

thx1138 wrote:

3hrs 15 mins: https://www.strava.com/activities/2162704959

When I tell my none cycling friends what I do they are genuinely impressed, but put me with the cycling club I'm in and I'm very average. The club race team, I can't keep up with them on a training ride.

Trail ride was awesome, I'm pretty beat now.

Oh, I used to do floor presses, before I got my squat rack, but I couldn't do enough weight, then I did floor presses using my squat rack. Now I have a bench, It's not secure enough for proper weight, but I'd never try for much over 60kilo anyway

I'll join the ranks of the impressed - that sounds like a pretty good time to me Smile And am also envious of the squat rack, it is top of my wish list - along with a shed in which to use it...

Today was a PT session - pullups, bent over rows, landmine rows and suchlike. Oooh, me back...

Gerald62
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 10:22 - 23 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Hoolie-gan"]
kramdra wrote:

I struggled with pull-ups for a while, but I found a video on YouTube which had a routine for better lat activation. It includes some scapula work, too, so definitely worth checking out.

I tried this a few times per week and made great progress.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GZHDQRW0AV4&t=8s

kramdra
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:41 - 23 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

This took far too much effort, but its done.

https://i.postimg.cc/Ngw79pJT/IMG-20190223-125042.jpg

Hoolie-gan
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 23:57 - 23 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, nice - a home made training board?

There's a climbing wall at the gym in town, that's yet another thing I must have a go at!

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:06 - 24 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cycled 52miles doing Deliveroo yesterday, on and off all day finished at 9.30pm

9.30am today did a social ride with my cycling club 43 miles.

Doing Deliveroo tonight.

Just got to push a little bit harder to get my press ups etc in tonight....

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:12 - 24 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

This place has got too serious for me again Laughing
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 03:28 - 27 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got some "proper" cycle shoes now, that clip in. not hard core though, the pedals are Shimano commuter style, clips one side flat pedals the other, and the cleats on the Shimano shoes are MTB style set into the sole to make it easier to walk.

But I've never been "clipped in" before, did a 16mile ride today, including my cycle clubs 10 mile Time Trial route. Got second ever fastest time on that, and a string of PBs on some of the sections.

Shoe definitely making a difference, they are so hard, that I'm not wasting energy compressing the soles like with trainers.

Then tonight went out with my running club, stepped up from group 1 - 5k to group 2 4miles plus optional extras. Hoping to get back up to group 4, which is 10k at 8 to 9 minute miles by the time the clocks go forward. Could probably do it now, but then I'm worried I'd pick up an injury, so will take it slowly. Doubt I'll ever get into group 5 which is 10k at least 8min miles, as this is basically my race day pace.

Did 150 squats last night (no weights), could've done more easily, but I was trying to keep my arms out stretched and they were starting to tire.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:00 - 27 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just had 3 days sick, and now 3 days doing my walk/jog again. On the first one, I was dismayed to find that I had been knocked back to square one, but by today, back into it and even beginning to find I can push the jogging bits for a little further each time. Considering how short a time I've been trying this for, that pleases me Smile

In the running shoes now, as the path has dried out quite a bit - a bit easier, but not that much over the hiking boots I use when it's wet and muddy. Likely to be back to the boots after Saturday, going by the forecast.

I keep seeing people out jogging/running properly and get very jealous! Laughing
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017

waffles
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:33 - 01 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am up to running 20 minutes without stopping now, my running club has one more week of training before we do our graduation run.

Am a teeny bit proud of myself Very Happy

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 01:32 - 06 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not such a bad training session today Smile .
I missed Friday’s session as I had other stuff to do.
I thought that today would be hard after missing the previous session, but it wasn’t to bad at all.

Two sparing bouts and I can still see straight Thumbs Up

No core strength training tonight. I know that’s coping out but for me , happy days Laughing

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:19 - 06 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I miss sparring. Though I telegraphed so much, my partners had no trouble blocking me.

Skipped run club last night, as I had a rather busy Deliveroo session yesterday lunch time. Also did the longest distance single drop ever 13 mile round trip. I was at just about the furthest point north, and they wanted me to pick up a KFC and take it to just about the furthest point south, but not from the nearest KFC, the one on the retail park to the east. So it was a 10 mile journey just to pick up and drop the food off, and then another 3 miles back into town centre. Then when my booking session finished, I logged onto Uber and did my first ever orders for them.

Was windy, but not as mad as Sunday night when I was fighting the wind out of town, heading back carrying the big food courier pack acting like a sail, I was easily hitting the 30pmh speed limit. Laughing

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:00 - 07 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Weather has been crap for the last few days, so no walk/jog Sad

However, good workout today, including a total of 160 push-ups (in sets of 20, interspersed with all the other exercises) - most I've ever done in a day, I think; I don't think even beastings in Lau Gar classes, or later in RAF basic training got to that number, and all with this dodgy arm and shoulder Very Happy

Might even manage a bit more later this evening.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 44 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21 ... 27, 28, 29  Next
Page 20 of 29